Anticipation - Anchorage Brewing Company

Anticipation
No picture uploaded.

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

This beer is a collaboration between Anchorage Brewing Company (Gabe Fletcher) and Sleeping Lady Brewing.

(Beer added by: Donnie2112 on 01-14-2011)
Reviews by BarleyStud:
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A flight attendant friend picked this up for me and brought it straight to home plate - life is good. I loved the fact that someone had scrawled IPA with a Sharpie on top of the white cap. I knew this was not readily available by your average beer drinker. The Anticipation started with anticipation of what was this going to be like?

I opened the jug at a card game with friends and we were very pleasantly surprised from the get go. A good pour that I blew by hitting the bottom of the glass and creating too much head the first time. Not a problem though and worth the wait. The beer settled into a fine clear golden colored hue with suds sticking to the glass as usual. A really good looking beer to be proud of.

It had the good citrus taste, mostly grapefruit, some melon and apple came through right away. If this sounds like a chardonnay rating, I read that those casks are used, and I can tell it worked. Hops taste was not too strong but it felt good going down and lasted in the mouth. It was definitely refreshing. Everybody at the card table thought it was awesome.

The only bash I might give it would be that it didn't have the sharpness of some IPA's when that is desired by the consumer. A gentle IPA???

I can only hope that my friend gets another hookup to AK. She said we get a discount by returning the growler. I asked her to look for a tee shirt with the bottle label on the tee. Now that will be a nice shirt to wear to the best events.

BarleyStud, Sep 02, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

I got a hold of this growler of beer because I called the brewery to ask if the beer was on tap. I'm a huge fan of their Fish On IPA and was anticipating this beer. When I got the brewery I found out that the guy one the phone made an error and they don't offer their limited edition beers in growlers, however since I drove down for the Anticipation the guy filled my growler and only charged me the "little beer" price. Good customer service on his part!

I poured this beer into an imperial pint glass, I also tried pouring into a Brooklyn chalice.

Strangely this beer reminds me of Prima Pils more then any Imperial IPA in multiple ways.

It looks like Prima Pils! This beer has a straw yellow color and has a white fluffy head that isn't lacing on my Imperial Pint glass, the head retention is OK, just a thin layer of film on top. Not standard but not a bad looking beer. Similar results with the chalice but with just a hair more lace, the carbonation looks better and slightly better head retention

It smells RAUNCHY! and in a great way, there is an earthiness to the IPAs from sleeping lady that I have trouble defining. I suppose I need to talk to the brewer to find out how they do this. It's really a nice element of their beers and it's something I think is essential in a good IPA. There are also those sweet pleasurable citrus notes that make me think of tangerines and grapefruit.

The clean biscuity, grainy malts also remind me of Prima Pils. Its makes a really nice clean backbone and I think it's a fun different way to go about balancing an IPA. The raunchy, earthy, dirty naughty citric hops from the nose carry over on the tongeand finish with a pleasant astringence.

This beer feels smooth on the mouth, with good carbonation, it there is a wholesomeness about the beer that carries in the flavor and the feel. The oiliness of this beer also contributes to it beautifully

This beer is more drinkable then any Imperial India Pale Ale I've ever had period. This beer is more refreshing then Captain Lawrence Imperial IPA and more approachable then Pliny.

I feel like there are elements of this beer that could be seen, legitimately, as flaws but I also think that they play into a different sort of character that fits a different end then many in the style. Excellent!

Donnie2112, Jan 14, 2011
Anticipation from Anchorage Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.