Whiteout Wit - Anchorage Brewing Company

Whiteout WitWhiteout Wit

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

Witbier |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: sprucetip on 06-20-2011)
1.19/5  rDev -69.9%

Alright, I guess I'll say something on this.
Witbier, as from what I've seen, this is supposed to be in a mug, cool, well, here goes.
The appearance, well, its somewhat hazy yet has a decent transparency about it.
the smell is extremely wine-like, is this beer? Whoah, ok, I've had some Anchorage beers and think they're more out to put out more wine-like beers for the most part.
The taste, whoah, just too vinous for me, and too dry. There's nothing here beer-like.
The mouthfeel is extremely dry and makes me wanna pound water for the rest of my life.
Overall, what the flying fuck is this swill? This shit is from my home state, what an embarrassment. Pure wine shit, if you ask me. I won't ever have this again.

SitkaSteve, May 26, 2014
1.78/5  rDev -55.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by... Evan?

A: Pours a pale straw body with light haze and off-white head. Decent retention.

S: Incredibly sulfuric brett expression that reminded me of farts and sunblock. My enjoyment was irretrievably lost at that point.

T: Straw, lemon zest, grass, some sweetness. I was hoping the brett would express itself with some funk or hay or something more pronounced. It's like an underdeveloped saison at this point. Needs more time, perhaps.

M: Light-bodied with medium-plus carbonation.

O: No one at the tasting liked this. I'm completely mystified by its high score. Actually, considering its rarity and price tag, I'm not. $15 for this? Please.

Arbitrator, Sep 09, 2011

AlaskanYoung, Dec 05, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -48.7%

Shared by Ryan thanks man.

A- Pours a hazy straw gold color with a nice foamy white head. Head is gone pretty quick and leaves a few bubbles of lacing. Looks like your typical wit.

S- Alright I knew I was in trouble right here. Quite a bit of funk going on here. A touch of lemon, grass, light wood and more funk.

T- There it is almost Earth shattering funk. Very sour. A tiny bit of wit bier here over run with sourness.

M- Pretty light in body with a nice amount of carbonation.

O- Brutally sour to me. I can't handle this one.

nrbw23, Feb 09, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -47.5%

Poured into some manner of glass on Super Bowl Sunday 2012

Thanks to nickd717

Hazy, cloudy gold. There isn't much of a head, but there is some lace.

Aromas of lively brett, lemon cookies, wheat crackers. Tart. Tastes like stale oak and brett funk. Vapid, unpleasant dryness. Lemon zest and bland spice. Thin feel with ample carbonation (do the math).

Overall impression - I don't care for this at all.

Ryan011235, Jun 15, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -46.2%

760ml corked and caged brown bottle.

It pours a light clear yellow with a big foamy white head.

The smell is skunky amlost, definitely some sulphur notes, reminiscent of Meteor Wit. When you take further examination you get the brett. It is in there with the oak and wine providing some reprieve from the skunk. A lot of vanilla in there.

The flavor is more straight forward but odd too. There is a buttery maltiness that really mixes with the oak and produces this woody buttery pretzel flavor. There is bitterness here too that mixes with the brett and creates some astringency.

This beer is just a terrible mash up of flavors.

crossovert, Jan 16, 2012

MrHirschybar, Jan 03, 2012

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012

ejw127, Jun 08, 2012

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 15, 2011

Rochefort10nh, Nov 26, 2011

LSUPT, Nov 15, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

750ml bottle thanks to largadeer.

Slightly hazy golden-yellow color with a small white head.

The aroma is a little strangely funky with some sunscreen, oak, pineapple, and brettiness. Maybe a bit vegetal.

The flavor is better, although there’s a bit of Coppertone sunscreen. Also pineapple, coconut, chardonnay, and oak barrel.

Medium-bodied and dry with average carbonation.

Overall, not great. Maybe with some age this could mellow out a bit, but for now it’s probably more useful to spread on your skin for a sunny day at the beach, as the SPF is no doubt pretty high.

nickd717, Aug 26, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -21%

750ml bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a clear, bright light yellow, that appears almost faintly green at times with fairly active carbonation and a frothy white head.

The aroma is lemony with quite a bit of barnyard funk.

The taste is again tart and lemony upfront with some coriander as well as barnyard funk. The Brett is not quite as prominent as in the nose. It also has some vinous qualities as well from the barrels.

It has a fairly light body with active carbonation.

A unique experience though in my opinion not worth purchasing again.

vkv822, Aug 23, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -18.4%

So I had just typed a nice long review of this and my computer freaked out and the review was lost.
Here's the streamlined version of that lost review;

Cork came off with big *pop* sound.
Very carbonated. Waaay too bubbly.
Rather thin feeling.

Some sweetness from the wheat and from the Brett.
No Chardonnay barrel character... Perhaps excepting the earthy quality that could possibly be barrel, but is more likely Bretty.

No sourness. No bite at all.

I was hoping for a Whaleback Wit with a Chardonnay sting... What I find is an overcarbonated, underflavored wheat beer that is not worth the price tag.
I was hoping for more than this brought to the table. Not really bad-- but this is below many wheat beers in my opinion... The previously me toned Whaleback Wit is a perfect example.

AleWatcher, Oct 21, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -18.4%

Served in a La Chouffe tulip.

A- Champagne color with 2" of white head, lacing that resides after 30 seconds or so.

S- Lots of funk and barnyard from the brett, some citrus.

T- Sour bitterness, some citrus (lemon peel), not getting a lot of coriander like a normal wit. Also, some spices.

M- Light body, thin. Higher in carbonation.

O- Not sure what to think about this one? I guess it's a wit by style, but nothing really noticeable of a wit with the brett added. Not a fan.

kawilliams81, Nov 25, 2011

Pixachii, Jul 04, 2012

ColdOne, Aug 25, 2014

Brew33, Jan 22, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Picked this one up after really enjoying the galaxy IPA and bitter monk. This was bright yellow, a little cloudy. Smell was yeasty with just a hint of wine barrel, not bad. Taste had some lemon to it, a bit of the chardonnay, some brett but overall it was still a wit and just did not move me like the other tow anchorage beers I've had. I'd buy bitter monk again if I see it and I'd love to try the lovebuzz saison but I would not buy this one again, especially for $15.

ArrogantB, Sep 08, 2012