Microbrew Invitational

Bitter MonkBitter Monk

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States | website

Style: Belgian IPA

Belgian style double IPA with Brettanomyces. this ale is aged in french oak chardonnay barrels. Brewed with Apollo, Citra, and Simcoe hops. Dry hopped in the barrel with Citra hops. Triple fermented- First in the tank with a Belgian yeast, second in french oak chardonnay barrels with brett, and finally in the bottle with a third yeast for natural carbonation.

Added by sprucetip on 08-26-2011

Reviews: 257 | Ratings: 979
4.08/5  rDev -6%

750 ml corked and caged bottle. I've heard wonderful things about this being a "surprise of the year" beer so I had to give it a try, even at the (Philadelphia) expensive price point. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Golden orange hazy body with a creamy, fluffy white head atop. A full retention cap stays throughout and it has really super sticky lacing on the walls. Honestly, this is an absolutely gorgeous looking beer.

S: Citrus, zest, smarties candy, chalk, white pepper, funk and some barnyard hay-like qualities. A faint bitterness is towards the back end allowing the hops to shine through to remind you this is in the IPA family. Nice aroma, nothing mind-blowing but it certainly isn't anything bad.

T: Bitter hop zest and citrus oils are the first to hit the palate. A slightly spicy yeast note comes in, along with more smarties candy and chalkiness. Dry wood and crisp white grapes are towards the back end bringing in some of the barrel treatment. After the swallow, a bit of a burn is in the chest perhaps from the alcohol?

M: Nice carbonation, on the lower end of the scale giving this a real creamy smooth feel. Very dry and bitter in the finish. Not a complete determent but I would have preferred it more clean.

This was a very interesting beer, and the only comparison I could make was to Iron Hill's Savage IPA. Still, it's definitely a unique beer with lots of complexity and flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 750ml into an Allagash tulip at around 45 degrees. Going to let this warm up a bit while I appreciate the aroma. Pours a nice sun color with tones of hazy peach towards the middle of the glass. A big and bright white head rests on top, looks very light and airy. Bubbles rise from the depths of the glass up to the top, keeping the head stable and everlasting. Very awesome lacing down the sides of the glass, it's a stunning looking beer.

The aroma reminds me a lot of Midnight Sun/Ballast Point's 3767. That shouldn't be a surprise since that's also a DIPA aged in French Oak with Brett, although that beer used Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. There's a very impressive depth in the aroma, the french oak is immediately apparent, lots of vanilla and other oak notes. The brett funk is here too, a lot of straw and hay along with some nice citrusy lemon and grapefruit from the hops.

The flavor reminds me a lot of 3767 as well, they seem very close in flavor profile. There's a little bit of light bready sweetness at first, but the brett is contributing a lot to the flavor afterwards. Huge funky barnyard flavors, under ripe green apple, slight ink, along with a dry and prolonged sour taste. At the swallow there's a good burst of bright citrus, mostly lemon and grapefruit. There's a little bit of that trademark french oak vanilla/butter underneath it all, which kind of rounds things out nicely. It's a beer that confuses the palate, and is interesting at every sip.

Digging the mouthfeel too. A nice medium body that feels oily and smooth in the mouth, but there's plenty of carbonation as well. It's fairly high in the carbonation department, but I like that in beers like this one. It definitely dries out the mouth a bit, it's ultra dry! I always like beers that do that, but your mileage may vary.

A very well made beer. There's something about this combination of belgian/brett yeasts and IPA that I enjoy when it's done right, and the french oak adds an interesting component that tends to bring everything together. I am really glad I found another beer like 3767 since I enjoyed that so much, however at $15.99 per 750ml I'm not sure how often I'd revisit this.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

July 2011 Batch #1

A= The pour is a bright yellow color. The brightest yellow color I've ever seen in a beer. The head is thick and frothy looking and rises to a couple fingers high before falling to a frothy layer on top of the glass. The lacing is pretty good but it's not your typical sheets it's more of a spotty film.

S= Immediatly after opening the bottle I got quite a bit of Brett. Tons of brett in the nose and a nice hop blend to that compliments the brett in a unique way that I can't really explain. Interesting mix of brett and fruity hops. Unlike anything I've ever smelled.

T= The taste is again one of the most unique things I've ever tasted. Really nice mix of bright hops and a woody tannin barrel flavor. A tasty bretty flavor that actually seems to be maybe a little sour for typical brett only innoculation but that may be chardonnay. Really unique and interesting mix of flavors that all seem to work somehow in unison.

M= Bright carbonation as well as a thick lasting flavor that sheets on the tongue.

O= This is unlike anything I've ever tasted. Totally unique and very delicious. I always love it when a brewer comes out with a beer that is unique. This is one of those. Really unable to fully explain it. A tasty beer that is worth buying and buying. Try this beer. Hopefully the other beers from this brewery will be just as good.

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured in a tulip glass.

Cloudy, light orange body topped by a thick, rocky white head that falls quickly. The citrusy hop aroma slips into piney, grassy farm notes where the line between Brett and hop blurs. The high carbonation makes it almost chewy. As it moves from lips to throat there's a great balance of malt and hops with lemony flavors becoming bready then slightly briney, leaving a dry aftertaste that's half sour half bitter. You can feel the oak in your jowls. This is a complex beer--simply wonderful.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Bomber from Bierkraft. Pours up hazy fruity coloured body with a quarter inch of retained head. Funky aroma. It all works - the brett, the barreling with fruity nuances, the hopping. Easy mouthfeel and a pleasant drinker, as I finished it all over an hour's lunch.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Duvel Tulip. Split with my brother-in-law.

A: Bright golden color - relatively aggressive pour leads to a 2 finger head. Hazy, not clear.

S: Funk. Barnyard, funky, feet and some light malt flavor as well. We couldn't come up with why it smelled like feet and then we realized it was the Brett.

T: Brett rules. It's such a nice combination of funky barnyard, citrus zest and hoppy bitter mixed all in together.

M: Light body, nice carbonation.

O: Easy drinker, funky ass brett. I love this yeast when done well...this is middle of the pack Brett beer, which makes it excellent.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%

Beautiful goldenrod. Smells simply amazing - strong tropical fruit, apricot, wheat and pine notes, all swimming in a yeasty funk. Tastes as good as it smells. Strong sharpness up front from the hops and Chardonnay. Midway, it twists in a tangy direction and the brett really makes its presence felt. A citrusy sweetness, come out in the back and helps blunt the bite. Good, complex brew.

Like it? Certainly

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

750 mL bottle marked Batch #1 July 2011

A - Pours a hazy yellow-caramel with a finger of frothy white head. Nice lacing and retention for this ABV.

S - Bitter and funky, with oak character. Enormously complex, with hop bitterness, green apple sourness, old yeasty brett funk with a leather twist, and a winey grape-oak chardonnay aroma.

T - Similar to the nose, but with very different emphasis. Sour and bitter both, with little hop flavor but plenty of bitterness. Herbal, funky, bitter, oaky, and vinous. Clear flavors of chardonnay and big brett funk flavor. Hugely acidic, with a strong finish of oak and leather. Complexity gets 5/5, but I don't especially love drinking it, to be completely honest. So fascinatingly woody, like biting into a tree trunk. I have to give it a 4/5 for all the flavors it brings to the table, and the fact that they honestly do work well together. I'd hate to knock it for what it is, so I've settled on 4/5, even though my taste preferences suggest a 3.5

M - Medium body with light but active carbonation. Acidity affects the feel by affecting the mouth in the way a sour apple or grape might -- gives you that weird feeling on your teeth.

O - Overall I love this beer for the experiment that it is, but don't particularly adore drinking it. It is a challenge to quaff, and would score low in drinkability. That said, I think is ends up being a brilliant beer overall because I've never had anything like it and at the same time, it didn't fall flat on its face. It really excites the taste buds. I'm very interested to see what Mr. Fletcher has up his sleeve in the future. This almost tastes like something Vinnie at RR would cook up, but perhaps without the restraint needed to make a perfectly balanced beer.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

A lot of hype going into this one. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Batch #1: July 2011

In a tulip, this bad boy has a hazy gold body that seems to just glow. The rocky cap of clean white foam on top is massive, retains well and leaves all kinds of sticky lacing.

I will preface by saying that I am not a big brett fan. The nose is very tropical smelling. Tropical as in fruit. The brett adds this nice tartness to the nose that compliments the fruit beautifully. If I close my eyes and smell, I can easily picture the beach.

The taste is quite nice, but doesn't blow me away. Like a good belgian ipa with some more complexities to it. Quite lemony, which I'm sure the brett contributes to. Bright citrusy notes with just a little sweetness. Lots of grapefruit, lots of spice notes and some light brett funk also. Some warm alcohol makes itself know as well.

Very, very dry. Mediumish bodied with lots of soft carbonation.

As usual, I got my hopes up and I was a bit disappointed. Didn't turn out to be the knockout I was hoping, but still a very good beer that is relatively unique from others in the style. I actually don't mind the brett too much in this. Pretty refreshing in a wine like way. The price is a bit steep though. Glad to have tried it, but probably won't grab it again.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle purchased at Binny's after the distributor screwed over West Lakeview by selling their allotment. Served in a Bells tulip. Batch #1, July 2011.

A - Lightly hazed pale golden body, with a finger-plus of white foam that settles to a thin cap, leaving thin fingers of lace.

S - Lemon, oak, herbal and leafy notes, grapefruit, phenolic Belgian yeast, hint of cat pee, some tart apple skins, touch of chardonnay. Alcohol pops up when the beer gets warm. Aroma is pretty crazy and complicated, but everything promised on the label is present a perceptible.

T - I actually like the taste a bit better, as it has more stone fruit malt and tropical fruit hop flavors. Some herbal hops, oak, light vinous character, and waves of bitterness that come and go somewhat unexpectedly. Alcohol is better hidden, and the cat pee note is also thankfully missing.

M - Medium-full body with a smooth texture, extremely dry and tannic finish, moderate carbonation. No alcohol heat, and some resinous hop oils that linger into the aftertaste.

D - This beer was terrific - I'm guessing it's loosely based on 3767, which Gabe made while at Midnight Sun. Very easy to dirnk, even with the higher ABV and IBUs - the bitterness is apparent but never gets fatiguing or oppressive. I hope Shelton & Windy City get their act together and we get the next batch a little quicker, as I'd like to experience the full force of the hop aroma and flavors.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Let me start out by saying I am not a fan of Belgian IPAs, and then let's go from there. Thanks to MasterSki for bringing this over.

A - Golden colored beer with a foamy white head that left behind a nice web of lace.

S - Really a lot going on with this nose. Some phenolic yeast, pungent simcoe, tropical fruit of the citra, and some brett. A funky IPA with strains of belgian yeast, didn't really see that coming, despite what the bottle was advertising.

T - This beer was immediately bitter for me, with the pungent simcoe mixing with the phenols in a bit of puckering bitter bite. You get used to it after a little bit and start to pick up aon a lot more of the citra. The brett funk occassionally bursts through. It's really hard to describe this beer as it tastes like so many different things, and I'm shocked at how good it is. There's even some of the chardonnay and wood that will come as well.

M - Medium bodied with nice carbonation.

O - This beer is shockingly unique and good at the same time. Need to revisit it, as there is so much going on. One of the more interestingly complexed beers I've had in a long time. While I'm not necessarily a fan of this style, I liked this beer a lot and Alex and I drank the bottle pretty easily between us.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass

A – Hazy golden straw color, Thick foamy head with good lacing, the head subsides slowly leaving a bunch of lacing behind

S – Funk from the Brett, citrusy hops and tropical fruits, and some sweet malts mixed in the background. The aroma is not very strong.

T – I enjoy the taste more than aroma. Very complex. Sour funk from the Brett up front. Lots of tropical fruits and citrusy hops in the middle. I also can sort of pick out some the oak and Chardonnay. It finishes with the bitterness from the hops and the funkiness from the yeast. It all blends in very well.

M – A perfect amount of carbonation, quite crisp and effervescent, medium to light bodied, very smooth and drinkable, almost no hints of the alcohol, a bit of a dry finish.

O – An amazing beer. A great hybrid of styles that works to almost perfection. Would definitely enjoy this beer again. It makes me want to seek out more Anchorage beers. The bottle is pretty amazing looking too.

4.84/5  rDev +11.5%

Bought this for the wife, with intentions on us splitting it, and we did, served into Duvel Tulips.

A – Pours a cloudy golden/straw yellow color, a nice thick Belgian style egg white in color, and exceptional lacking on the sides of the glass.

S – I could smell this from a good 3-4 feet away, rich hops (floral/fruit) and some farmhouse funks (guessing from the Brett), this just screams hybrid; “American Belgian Wild IPA”.

T – Great aggressive hoppy characters that just build and build. Here is how I experienced this beer; hop punch up front, then some chardonnay and oak characters, and then just the sour funk of the Brett with spices and earth characters.

M – A little on the thick side, but very inviting and well accepted, carbonation was spot on.

O – This has to be one of the better BA Belgian IPAs I have had, is this better than Hop God, NO. But it’s in a slightly different class as Hop God. I consider this more of a hybrid of an American Wild (aging with the Brett) and a Belgian IPA (the Belgian yeast and overall presentation); I think “American Belgian Wild IPA” is a great name. Parts of this beer remind me of Le Terroir, maybe a blend of the Hop God and Le Terroir, but on another level.
This is my first Anchorage Brewing, and hopefully not my last. I hope they keep bringing more great beers to CA.
This would be a great beer to cellar for a few months and see how much more the Brett develops.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

This brew lives up to the billing: it is tremendously bitter, and heavily Belgianesque in character. Bitter Monk pours a surprisingly pale translucent golden hue, topped with a very healthy white cap of rocky froth. The nose is pungently bitter with notes of heavy grapefruit pith and elderflower being highly prominent. The bitter apple-pineapple flavor imparted by the brett pairs well with the hop addition, as they mimic one another's flavor in some ways. I keep thinking this is very much like Cantillon's Mamouche - or like an elderflower IPA. The pale malt base is evocative of the classic Orval or Duvel approach; there is no caramel to be found here. The mouthfeel is quite effervescent, and thereby bordering on prickly; though it is not offensive, I'd have preferred a softer feel. That said, in every way this is a challenging, ass-kicking type of beer, so the feel is in that vein as well. A very good example of the style; probably the best I've had.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a tulip glass a hazed peach color with a large fluffy white crown that left multiple rings of broken lace as it settled into a frothy mass,just a great pour.Citric hops are huge along with the Brett adding slight funk,I even picked up a little nutty maltiness in there as well.Powerful citric hop along with light yeasty funkiness,but its not overbearing,a little medicinal as well wich I normally don't like, but it didnt bother me so much here.This is a damn well crafted beer,I was a little worried I might not take to it as well with the Brett,but I got mad love for this brew.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

A very recommendable take on a Belgian DIPA.

Presentation: 750 ml brown, caged and corked bottle. Screen printed label with a green and white design of a monk holding a chalice of the brew with a few snowflakes in the background. Side paragraph offers a description of the brew, and serving indications, back narrative exposes intent, and general background. Notes 100 IBUS, bottling Batch 1 July 2011, and 9% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A -Hazy pale gold pour, rich frothy head, medium retention, fair surface memory and nice touches of lacing.

S - Nice nose hitting like a hammer with citric hops, touch of resin, funky brett, and a hint of wood.

T - Hoppy and yeasty range… Very nice, flowing over bready funky touches.. sweet caramel in the back woven with soft barrel touches, faint fruity/vinous touch. Earthy touch pushing up the hops again, Belgian spicy insinuation adds to the flow...

M -Medium body and carbonation, with a nice flow that leads to a semi/dry finish.

O - Nice an pleasing take at a DIPA laden with brett and Belgian touches...

Notes: Hmmm, that Anchorage Brewing is making a nice dent with breatty and barrel aged brews is clear. Quality and very likable. Now, if I get fuzzy on this one I might be getting so spoiled that it feels a touch perfunctory. I mean… dunno. I would not mind having a go at a regular dipa from theirs. Here so much plays with the Belgian yeast, the barrel, the brett, that it all has a bizarre predictable sense under all the great serving… Having said all that this is probably one of the best takes, if not the best, I have had at a double Belgian IPA. Nevermind me…

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow color; fat 3 finger-width head, very sticky lacing. This beer looks super enticing

S: As soon as I poured this I could smell the delicious tart hoppiness exploding from the glass. Musty fruit tartness followed by a sweet floral/fruity hops in the back of the nose. Amazing

T: Super hoppy bitterness mixed with a creamy tartness, like a smooth buttery chardonnay with a hoppy backbone; the flavors expand nicely as they move down the tongue, finishes slightly dry with some more tartness and bitter hops. Absolutely delicious

M: Thick, yet somehow finishes light and dry; tingly and full-bodied with medium carbonation

O: This is a fantastic Belgian IPA, and one of the absolute best beers I've had in a while

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%

Wow. I popped the cork on this beer and a funky-sweet aroma just filled the room instantly. Kind of hazy beer, nothing to exceptional. However, this beer tastes like nothing else I've ever had. It's rich and buttery from the chardonnay barrels, it's super sour, and it has just a hint of bite from all the hops. Absolutely crazy beer that seems just thrown together but is utterly fantastic in the end.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Really excited for this one. Belgian Double IPA with Brett aged in French Oak Chard barrels. Crazy.

Out of the bottle the Bitter Monk is a delightful golden-yellow with a slightly off-white, 2 finger head poured into a pint glass. The head is extremely dense and foamy. Lots of little carbonation bubbles rush upward through a slightly hazy appearance from a little yeast that got into the glass. The lacing left on the glass is clumpy and sticky.

The aroma is all over the place. A sour, tart Granny Smith apple-esque smell is the first smell that infiltrates my nostrils. This is supported by hoppy citrus aromas of lemon, lime, and grapefruit. There is plenty of a bready yeast aroma in there, too. It's very interesting smelling the tart Brett mingling with such a strong hop aroma. Really good.

Whoa, that is an exciting and unique flavor. Oh meh gah... This is possibly the most original flavor I've ever gotten out of a beer. The first taste on my palate is of strong, dank, citrusy hops on the sides of my mouth (heavy on grapefruit flavors). This is complemented by a sour of explosion of sour apple and lime that also lands on the sides of my mouth, as well as straight on my tongue. Layering on top of those complex flavors is a buttery, oaky creaminess, which lasts for just a bit before being washed out by the Brett sourness and citrus hops. All the while there exists a very earthy and floral flavor.
There is a lot of crazy shyte happening in this beer. Awesome.

The mouthfeel is varied and exciting. The body of the beer is medium-full with a very creamy feel on the tongue, but all the while there is a puckering sourness and a puckering dankness from the Brett and the citrusy hops. The finish is all bitterness as the hops take over the reins.

I sound like a broken record, but this is a really crazy beer and I very much enjoyed it. If you like taking a palate adventure when you drink beer, this is the beer for you. So hoppy, so tart, and so creamy. Very interesting and highly recommended.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a bright hazy ripe lemon yellow with 2 inches of fluffy/bubbly white head that slowly recedes leaving sticky soapy/bubbly lacing along the goblet.

Aromas begin with a ton of sour citrus smells, could be hops and/or could be Brett yeast. Further examination leads me to believe it is the Brett as the sourness become more predominant. In the background you get some tropical and citrus hops but the Brett owns the show here. Lighter earthy/oakiness continues to emerge as well.

After the aromas the tastes are a bit surprising. The flavors are more akin to a DIPA than a Belgian Brett sour beer. Lots of bitter pithy lemony citrus and grapefruit hops initially assault the palate. As it warms you get a little more of the underlying vinous white grape, pear and lighter generic sour Brett flavors. Just like the nose the earthy and oaky flavors emerge as you continue to sip. Extreme bitterness dominates the show however and takes away from the delicate flavors imparted from the barrel and the Brett that I wish were more in the forefront.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with medium to higher carbonation. Finish is quite bitter, which is expected for 100 IBU, but the Brett sourness helps to balance the intensely bitter citrus hops. Finish is dry as as bone thanks to the ample hopping and Brett yeast fermentation. As it warms the bitterness becomes way too overbearing for me to enjoy and the Brett loses the balance that existed when it was at a slightly cooler temperature.

Overall this was definitely an experience for sure. The flavors and aromas were so contradictory and yet complemented each other quite well. My only issue was that I wish I consume this during the warmer months as I would have enjoyed it much more on a nice warm day. If you love sour beers and really bitter DIPAs you will love this. If you dislike either pass. I am on the fence as I like both but I think I prefer them separate. Still a high quality beer as this obviously took a lot of thought and care to craft such an intricate brew. If you can afford the elevated price tag, it's worth a go.

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Opaque amber/orange with about 1/2" of thick white head. Decent retention with hardly any lacing.

S: Lemons, citrus fruits, a little funk. Hops are hardly in the nose here, but it smells amazing.

T: Whoa. This one starts out sour and zesty and takes a quick turn to the citrus hops. The oak from the chardonnay barrels really comes through, with the wine notes melding with the hops perfectly. Amazingly complex.

M: A little sticky, medium bodied with sharp carbonation.

O: This beer is ridiculously good. Who would have thought a sour IPA would be a good idea?

4.89/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Hazy yellow-to-orange with frothy pure white head.

S: Oh my god. Lemon zest, lemon custard, barnyard/ wet hay. Wet for sure. Hops? Deffinately, but more as a bitterness... not the floral or citrus rind that I expected. The belgian yeast is there in the background with some pineapple smells, but the nose is pretty sour.

T: Bitter! The taste is like the nose but with a tad more flowers and pineapple flavoring hops. Lemon is pretty dominant and when teamed up with the barnyard funk gives it a subtle cottage cheese flavor. Still more wet hay and some sourness from the brett. The malt base is hard to put a finger on, but I'm gonna say its there with a stale white bread character. Again, only a touch of belgian sweetness, just enough to upgrade the malt from stale french bread to stale wonder bread. Ya dig?

M: Foamy, light, delicate, and clean. Hop oil finish leaves you feeling a bit soapy.

O: This is my favorite beer. I was completely blown away, although it was very different from what I expected based on the description. For some reason I was picturing a much more malt forward and bigger/sweeter beer considering the label as a belgian IIPA with barrel aging, but no... Dry, balanced, and crazy complex with a damn-near perfect hop forward bitterness, mostly funky but nicely sour brett character, and a malt backdrop enhanced by the belgian yeast without being heavily fruity, spicy, or sweet.

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

Big shoutout goes out to my doppelganger for sharing this one with me! Served from bottle into a Bell's stemmed tulip. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a three finger fluffy white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, funk, citrus, citrus hop, earth, and lemon rine. The flavor was of sweet malt, lemon rine, citrus, citrus hop, grapefruit, funk, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. This beer really worked well for me. The citrus aspects going on here were quite well incorporated with the rest of the brew and the funkiness took it to the next level for me. I wish more Belgian IPAs were like this one... Really glad I got the chance to try this one and I would do so again anytime.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stumbled on to a few bottles of this. I didn't realize it's the work of the ex-Midnight Sun lead brewer until I looked it up here. I hear he did some good stuff there.

Pours light yellow, generous white carbonation, pretty cloudy. Looks good.

I'm still trying to figure out the smells. Lemon, grapefruit, funk, orange peels. Belgian yeast-like flavors subtly weaved into the above mentioned things.

Tastes even better. Quite complex. Bitter citrus, lemon, orange, hay, yeast, earth. Damn, this is crazy tasty. Each sip is different, so much going on. I can't figure this all out. Wine barrels, triple fermentation, brett additions. Seems it was worth the fuss.

Dry mouthfeel, bites with bitter, pithy things. Enough sweetness to balance.

Wow. It's fun to find a beer that takes you where you've never been.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a pale amber colour, nice golden tinge up to the light. Very opaque though. Head is hugely generous off-white with sparse bubbling and clumps of lace left behind. Marshmallowy top. Looks very decent.

Smell is just lovely. Loads of brett going wild, sourness with cassia, orange peel and underripe berry notes. Sour, but nice sweetness adding balance - citrus, berries and a touch of oatmeal on the back. It's really, really nice.

Taste starts out kind of sour, citric really, but develops into strong fruity mid-palate that's actually quite sweet, with peach, apricot and raspberries. Brett comes through late, giving kind of off mouldy cheese kind of flavour that doesn't quite mesh as far as the aftertaste goes. It's nice overall, but the finish could be toned down a bit, as it's a little on the astringent side. Otherwise the flavours are nice, just seems a bit off-kilter late.

Not bad on the feel for the most part, but you can sense that pull from the wilder yeast at the back and it gets to the point of puckering.

Not an everyday drinking beer, really, but well worth a taste.

Bitter Monk from Anchorage Brewing Company