The Tide And Its Takers - Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Aged in French Chardonnay Barrels w/ Brett

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Enjoyed with aasher on 2/28. Poured into Aecht schlenferla snifter. Pours a golden orange with 5 fingers of white foam head, most of which recedes.

The brett immediately stands out on the nose, with butter, oak and some citrus.

Lots of lemon and orange to taste, with very strong oak character and a little bit of butter.

Very complex beer from start to finish with bright carbonation and a big oak finish

Pleasant beer that i would gladly drink again.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

This just arrived yesterday and is being split with Kyle (zep9865).

This beer pours a medium bodied rich orangish gold in color with a two finger soapy white head. The nose is funky and full of Brett with a nice amount of buttery Chardonnay oak. The flavor consists of plenty of Belgian yeast, bitter hops, buttery Charddonnay barrel, and very dry Brett. It's nice, and what I kind of expected but not quite complex as I had hoped. It's nice and has traditional characteristics of a triple. That said, it's a much drier form. This beer drinks medium in body and has an assertive dry tartness to pair with the slight Chardonnay most present on the nose, and subtly present in the flavor profile. Overall this is a nice triple. If I'm spending money on a tripe. I'd prefer it's on something unique like this. It's an intriguing take on the style.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Bottle (2011)

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Slightly hazed golden yellow with a quickly forming near-white persistent head that leaves sheets and dots of lace down the glass.

The aroma is Brett-forward, along with notes of green apple, oak, black pepper, and earth. Terrific.

The flavor follows similarly, with the funky Brett leading the way, along with oak, green apple, pepper, and white grape.No alcohol presence.

Medium to full bodied with high carbonation. Near perfect for the style and a joy to drink.

This reminds me a lot of Bitter Monk by Anchorage--good thing, because I love both beers.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

2/26/2012

Shared by Carlos, thanks!

A: Light yellow with an inch of white foam. Lacing is scattered.

S: Floral with leather and oak. White grape meets Granny Smith apple. Peppery notes are evident, blending with light bready malt. Smells great.

T: Leather and earth with lots of funky Brett. Chardonnay is pervasive and oak is well integrated. Notes of apple and pear are evident. Pepper-like phenols dance across the palate. Lightly sweet but finishes very dry.

M: Upper light body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: Very enjoyable. It reminds me a lot of their other beers.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

750 mL bottle from batch 1 (bottled in October 2011). I took this bottle home from working EBF 2012 and poured it into my Duvel tulip.

The Tide and its Takers pours a golden yellow, with just a little bit of haze to it. About three fingers of snow white foam pile on top of the beer. Head retention is pretty good, but lacing is definitely spotty. The nose is fantastic, dominated by notes of mango, pineapple, and lemon. There's an underlying earthy brett funk, and a touch of chardonnay adds another layer of complexity. The barrel aging is a little bit more prominent in the flavor profile. Especially cold, the boozy white wine notes overpower the beer a little bit. The citrusy lemon and tropical fruit influences are still present, but definitely take a back seat here as compared to the aroma. The brett funk is also probably a little bit stepped up here. It's still tasty, but doesn't quite deliver on the promise of the nose. The body is nicely dried out and light, but it's paired with a carbonation that could stand to have just a little more zip to it. I definitely enjoyed my bottle of Anchorage's The Tide and it's Takers, but I think with a little bit less overt barrel character it would be something really special.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml bottle into Block 15 snifter. Batch 1, bottled Oct 2011.

A: Pours an opaque dark pumpkin color with a finger of rather active bright white head that quickly fizzed away into a thick collar. Patches of thin lace were left down the glass.
S: Huge notes of brett, dry oak, peppery Belgian yeast and golden fruit esters fill my nose. The brett really shines in this one along with some complex spiciness.
T: Again, brett, oak, Belgian yeast flavors and golden fruits are easily noticeable, but I get notes of bitter lemon zest, chalk, vinous white grapes, and peppery spices. Hops impart a bit of citrus rind and orange as well. The finish is woody and vinous, and the aftertaste is lightly bitter and earthy with yeast. Every few sips I get what I think is bubblegum (yeast) as well.
M: Medium-full body, fluffy full carbonation that bubbles up on my palate and a full, clean mouthfeel. This beer is easy to drink and goes down smooth.
O: Tastes just as advertised, and a good advertisement at that: a bretty, chardonnay oak-aged Belgian tripel. Not my favorite of the four Anchorage beers I’ve had, but this beer did not disappoint.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

First beer from this brewery that I've seen in Vermont.

Pours a nice golden yellow color with a two-finger head that leaves a bit of lacing.

Funky brett says "howdy" with a mix of spicy yeast and citrus. Intriguing. I haven't seen too many saisons with brett.

Apple, grape and citrus mingle within a spicy background. Instead of a standard saison, you get something that's more potent and interesting.

Ditto on the mouthfeel.

Very interesting example of the style. I would recommend that you check it out.

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a Guinness goblet in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed from notes taken while beeradvocate was down for repairs.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and good retention - especially for the 9% ABV. Colour is a hazy orange with tinges of lemon.

Sm: Heavy bretts and lactic notes. Yeast. Pleasant sourness. Moderate in strength. Clean and very inviting; I'm really excited to try this.

T: Lots of brett goodness, with biscuity yeast pleasant alongside. Some oak and light chardonnay notes are definitely present. Some lactic notes help round out the flavor profile. I don't pick up on separate yeast strains, but I doubt my palate is that advanced anyway. Unfortunately, some alcohol does penetrate the build, especially just after the climax. Some lemon is definitely present. It's certainly a bit floral but I wouldn't call it hoppy. The sourness is tame, which has its ups and downs. Personally, I'd like a bit more sourness. Overall, it's pretty well balanced. I do like it.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and nicely creamy (especially on the finish). A bit too thick, but it's forgivable. The best aspect of this beer.

Dr: Quite drinkable for the ABV. The sourness never gets in the way of the drinkability. The abv is well hidden. I'd like to try this aged; the hops don't seem horribly important and the ABV is high enough that I'm sure it'd age nicely.

There's nothing special or unique about it, but fans of the style will likely enjoy it. Don't get too excited about the bretts; they're quite tame.

B-

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Apparently a collaboration between Anchorage and Dogfish Head, although the Dogfish Head name is hardly made visible on the bottle print. Batch #1, Oct/2011.

A natural, unfiltered looking beer, kinda raw in appearance: super hazy/cloudy pale dirty yellow/gold with a foamy head that leaves gobs of lace on the glass.

Aroma gives off more Chardonnay than tripel, and a whole lot more Brett-y funk than either Chardonnay or tripel. A bit of wood nudges in. Nice fruity layer in the nose, like sniffing a cup of thick, combined, just-squeezed pear and peach nectar.

The spiciness of a tripel comes into the taste, and the Belgian yeast character (Brett, of course) is as assertive on tongue as in the nose. This mingles with the aforementioned pear/peach juice, Chardonnay, and wood. A bit of a green, leafy hop vibe too, and lemon peel. Fragrant, perfume-y, floral vibe overall. Huge waves of Chardonnay coat the mouth in the finish, mingling nicely with lemony hops.

There's such activity and complexity in the taste, I hardly even noticed the feel and probably wouldn't have cared if not reviewing. I mean, it's quite fine, achieving a great balance between fizzy tickle and smooth buttery texture, with the latter winning out just a tad...apparently every aspect of this beer is a winner.

I don't want to see Anchorage back themselves into a corner with all these triple-fermented, white wine barrel-aged beers...except these beers have been incredible so far, so if they turn into a Jolly Pumpkin type brewer (variations on a theme) then hey, no complaints from me. I've recently been won over by several Chardonnays, after not thinking I was ever going to acquire the taste for wine, so this is a real treat, considering big beers are my thing and the tripel is among my favorite styles. So if you're a beer drinker of similar mindset, you're going to want to try this, pronto. As with all the Anchorage stuff. Wow, best newcomer of the last several years, I think...

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a hazy, milky straw color with about a medium size off-white foam head which has good retention and leaves some nice spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with lots of light fruity notes; apricot, tart green apple, white grapes, lemon bar and earthy and grassy notes in the background. As it warms I get a lot more of the barrel highlighted by buttery chardonnay and oak. Faint Belgian spicy yeast in the background; much more a wild ale than a Belgian ale that aspect.

The tastes directly follow the nose with lemon, light biscuity malt, tart green apple and light earthiness. Buttery, oaky chardonnay flavors emerge and begin to dominate. Definitely doesn't taste much like a Tripel, but I don't care because I dislike Tripels. Light clove in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with copious amounts of bubble scrubbing, palate cleansing carbonation. Dry thanks to the Brett and the ample carbonation.

Overall this was a nice beet that I was surprised I enjoyed because of my distaste for tripels. It's also quite tame for a wild ale at this point as well and I can only see this developing nicely over time. Chardonnay barrels are the forefront right now which is perfect for my tastes as I enjoy 95% of wine barrel aged beers. Wish these weren't so pricey but the quality is definitely there; not for your novice beer drinker for sure.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

This is a winner. Maybe it's because this is the particular anchorage brew in front of me but I'd venture this is my favorite Anchorage out of the Bitter Monk, and Love Buzz that I've had.

The Brett reigns supreme with a hint of lemony citrus. A bit thin for a triple but who cares. The beer is amazing.

One of the few I'd go into the trenches with.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Eh? Had high hopes, kinda dashed. Looks ok a first pour, clear, translucent, golden, two finger white head, medium white bubbles. Sadly the apperance is not as it should be. The "head" is not rocky as a triple's should be. Very light citrus, phenolic hint, some remaining belgian esters. A hint of funk and barn but just a hint. The flavor brings the party. Initially light, tart and funky. Followed by a lemon lift, and some distinct sweet vanilla, oak and light spice. The marriage between the oak and beer is the best part of this ale. Full rounded and silky feel, dry oh yes very dry. But alas I will not be buying this again, it was a great journy just not the best beer.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Came highly recommended by Vinny at DeCicco's in Brewster NY. I trust Vinny, not only because he looks trustworthy, but he has yet to steer me wrong. Not cheap at $18, but I'm glad I took it on. Looks like a thick Hefe on the pour, but a thinner head. Brett plays a huge part on the nose, with it's funk and citrus. First sip is over the top orange rind, but I know this one'll be a chameleon. VERY complex. Great carbonation, with a clean astringent bite. I like it very much, although I wish it had a little more sweetness.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Batch 1. Pours a murky golden color with a medium-large white head that disappears quickly. Scent is quite lovely. Tart lemon notes with light floral hops and oak. Nice Belgian yeast with some definite barnyard funk from the Brett. A bit of honey and white wine as well. Taste is initially sweet citrus fruits...lemons and a hint of orange, immediately followed by some tart lemon. Floral hop flavors with some intense french oak flavors as well. There is a ton of brett in the flavor as well. Quite complex. Finishes with some white wine, wild yeast, and bitter hop flavors. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and crisp. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is a fantastic beer, but I just wish I had bought another bottle. What they did with the Brett in this beer is just fantastic, so I would love to see how it ages. Crossing my fingers I find more.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Quick take as this is the day after from opening.

Appearance - golden yellow with (1) finger head. Looks like I would imagine a tripel / belgium style beer would look.

Smell - really good. fruity, fresh, and a little funkiness.

Taste - outstanding. Tastes pretty much as imagined with the sweet complexity of a tripel and funkiness from the Brett in the back end. Really enjoyed the spices and the dryness. A little citrus built into the body and some surprising hoppiness along with the funkiness.

Overall - Awesome! It provided a refreshingly tasty option to wash down our homemade meal. Would drink this anytime.

The Tide And Its Takers from Anchorage Brewing Company