Galaxy White IPA - Anchorage Brewing Company

Galaxy White IPAGalaxy White IPA

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.00% ABV

White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)

1.25/5  rDev -69%

1.72/5  rDev -57.3%

2.31/5  rDev -42.7%

Split a cellar temp 750 corked and caged bottle of this beer with Fish 113d.
The beer pours a cloudy gold hue with frothy bright white head foaming up even with gentle pour. Head is 3 cm easy and fades slowly leaving pockmarked craters on the surface.
Aroma is funky, wet blanket messy scents. I get a little white wine and grapes, maybe some herbal hops too. Nose is mostly funky and not really appealing and is generally messy in my opinion.
First sip reveals a thin body with small tingly carbonation. Much lighter than I anticipated from the pour. Almost watery texture on this beer doesnt help the experience.

Flavor is some sweet grain and fruit with white grapes again here. This is quickly overtaken by funky wet grass flavors and some general funky notes. The beer finishes very dry and there is no hint of booze anywhere.
In general this beer is messy and not well defined, maybe the brett took over, or maybe the brewery tried to do too much in one bottle. I generally didnt really like the beer. Maybe just the fruit, spices and wine barrel is a good beer, or maybe the dry-hopped, ,brett featuring and wine yeast fermented beer is good. All of the above makes a poorly defined end product that has too much going on and none of it clear to make an enjoyable beverage.
I wouldnt buy this again.

2.68/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date. The body was pale straw colored. Clear on the first pour cloudy on the next.The head was pure white and large. The head settled to a film and stayed throughout.

The smell was spicy - pepper and coriander! Citrus peel. Lemony, kumquats I suppose.

The taste did not live up to the aroma. There was some spiciness but plastic and Band-Aids prevailed. Not nearly enough fruitiness. Some dryness in the finish. Not enjoyable.

The mouthfeel was medium to light in body with a modest amount of fine carbonation.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

2.85/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, the beer was a straw yellow color with a generous white head. A high level of carbonation made this one want to jump out of the bottle. I will forgive the minor inconvenience. The aroma was very discreet with floral notes and some Belgian accents. In the initial taste, I thought I was drinking soapy water. The citrus notes that come with the Brett combine with the floral notes to make me wonder if the glass was properly cleaned. The backbone of hops is mild, even for a Belgian IPA. The mouthfeel was aggressively bubbly, like drinking a warm can of Sprite. The carbonation mercifully subtracted the soapy taste from my mouth. I can not endorse this beer.

2.9/5  rDev -28%

Poured from a 750 dated aug 2012. No gushing, but a lot of pressure behind that cork.

Poured a hazy straw color, lots of head here, cresting the top of my new belgium globe. Pretty standard look for a wit.
Smells like brett, citrus, and galaxy hops. Lots of hops. I'm amazed the hop aromas lasted a year like this. I get more brett funkiness and hops than anything else here.
First sip, galaxy comes through strong with some brett leather. I hhave never gotten the leather flavor of brett untill now. Once the hops and brett die down I get some kumquat, not getting the spices or barrel though. Having a hard time getting through this beer. The after taste that lingers in my mouth is cloying, and a little overwhelming.
Medium mouthfeel, but leaves an oily feeling behind along with the cloying aftertaste.
Overall, I came into this beer pretty excited. I dig hops, brett, and witbier. This one just didn't come together well. The barrel is hidden by the bold hopping, as is the wit yeasts and spices. The brett comes through, as does the kumquat, but none of these flavors are in harmony and treat the pallate more like a battlefield than anything else. Glad I tried it, but won't be goiing back for more.

2.99/5  rDev -25.8%

uncorks with a vehement pop, rush of air, but controlled release - no foam rush or anything.
Appearance - pours into the glass four to five fingers of foam, white, stiff and cakey. Lots of dotty and speckled lace around the glass. The brew itself is a hazy pale lemon yellow with a number of bead tendrils sending bubbles due north.

Aroma - oh it's funky. A hint of lemon citrus, but lots of Brett funkified nose. For Brett fans this probably smells great but I struggle with it.

Taste - pretty funky. I was hoping for more IPA influence, that's not happening. Very funky Brett-heavy flavor. Some citrus and dry bitterness well after the swallow, but the funk never lets up. Somer peppercorn late, no kumquats. A few guys at the tasting mentioned pineapple, I never picked that up. Preparing myself for the sip helps, but this is more for the palate education than enjoyment. I don't like it much but I have a feeling it's right on target for what was intended, so I'm ducking out with a 3. Some of the guys at the tasting really liked and went back for seconds, so I brought it for them.

Mouthfeel - very fluffy, crisp, and refreshing feel on the palate.

Overall - nope. I'll have to find someone to trade for the other bottle, not interested in seeing how much funkier this can get over time.

Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage Brewing Company