Galaxy White IPA - Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012

White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.
Ratings: 848 | Reviews: 217
2.37/5  rDev -41.2%

Split a cellar temp 750 corked and caged bottle of this beer with Fish 113d.
The beer pours a cloudy gold hue with frothy bright white head foaming up even with gentle pour. Head is 3 cm easy and fades slowly leaving pockmarked craters on the surface.
Aroma is funky, wet blanket messy scents. I get a little white wine and grapes, maybe some herbal hops too. Nose is mostly funky and not really appealing and is generally messy in my opinion.
First sip reveals a thin body with small tingly carbonation. Much lighter than I anticipated from the pour. Almost watery texture on this beer doesnt help the experience.

Flavor is some sweet grain and fruit with white grapes again here. This is quickly overtaken by funky wet grass flavors and some general funky notes. The beer finishes very dry and there is no hint of booze anywhere.
In general this beer is messy and not well defined, maybe the brett took over, or maybe the brewery tried to do too much in one bottle. I generally didnt really like the beer. Maybe just the fruit, spices and wine barrel is a good beer, or maybe the dry-hopped, ,brett featuring and wine yeast fermented beer is good. All of the above makes a poorly defined end product that has too much going on and none of it clear to make an enjoyable beverage.
I wouldnt buy this again.

2.77/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date. The body was pale straw colored. Clear on the first pour cloudy on the next.The head was pure white and large. The head settled to a film and stayed throughout.

The smell was spicy - pepper and coriander! Citrus peel. Lemony, kumquats I suppose.

The taste did not live up to the aroma. There was some spiciness but plastic and Band-Aids prevailed. Not nearly enough fruitiness. Some dryness in the finish. Not enjoyable.

The mouthfeel was medium to light in body with a modest amount of fine carbonation.

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, the beer was a straw yellow color with a generous white head. A high level of carbonation made this one want to jump out of the bottle. I will forgive the minor inconvenience. The aroma was very discreet with floral notes and some Belgian accents. In the initial taste, I thought I was drinking soapy water. The citrus notes that come with the Brett combine with the floral notes to make me wonder if the glass was properly cleaned. The backbone of hops is mild, even for a Belgian IPA. The mouthfeel was aggressively bubbly, like drinking a warm can of Sprite. The carbonation mercifully subtracted the soapy taste from my mouth. I can not endorse this beer.

2.91/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Looks like an over carbonated white ZInf with a wicked chill haze. fresh squeezed white grapes. Super fizzy Head. TONS of carbonation rushing straight up the glass like an air pump.

smell - right off the bat super tropical citrus, pineapple, grapefruit, orange peel, pine, super spicy notes that i wish i knew what they were to describe them better, almost like you through a peppercorn in it. some mild dirty sock Brett funk.

Taste- White wine, bitter bite into a bundle of pine needles, carb burn 1 inch up from the tip of the tongue. ends with a lingering spice on the curl of the back of the tongue heading into the throat.

feel- suuper lite. no body.

Overall this isnt that impressive of a beer, especially from Anchorage Brewing, they put too much time into trying to re create the IPA and failed miserably. This is a completely unbalanced beer and has funky bitterness from places that shouldnt contribute to the taste of a great IPA. I can only hope that Bitter Monk is their answer to this.

2.96/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a 750 dated aug 2012. No gushing, but a lot of pressure behind that cork.

Poured a hazy straw color, lots of head here, cresting the top of my new belgium globe. Pretty standard look for a wit.
Smells like brett, citrus, and galaxy hops. Lots of hops. I'm amazed the hop aromas lasted a year like this. I get more brett funkiness and hops than anything else here.
First sip, galaxy comes through strong with some brett leather. I hhave never gotten the leather flavor of brett untill now. Once the hops and brett die down I get some kumquat, not getting the spices or barrel though. Having a hard time getting through this beer. The after taste that lingers in my mouth is cloying, and a little overwhelming.
Medium mouthfeel, but leaves an oily feeling behind along with the cloying aftertaste.
Overall, I came into this beer pretty excited. I dig hops, brett, and witbier. This one just didn't come together well. The barrel is hidden by the bold hopping, as is the wit yeasts and spices. The brett comes through, as does the kumquat, but none of these flavors are in harmony and treat the pallate more like a battlefield than anything else. Glad I tried it, but won't be goiing back for more.

3.01/5  rDev -25.3%

uncorks with a vehement pop, rush of air, but controlled release - no foam rush or anything.
Appearance - pours into the glass four to five fingers of foam, white, stiff and cakey. Lots of dotty and speckled lace around the glass. The brew itself is a hazy pale lemon yellow with a number of bead tendrils sending bubbles due north.

Aroma - oh it's funky. A hint of lemon citrus, but lots of Brett funkified nose. For Brett fans this probably smells great but I struggle with it.

Taste - pretty funky. I was hoping for more IPA influence, that's not happening. Very funky Brett-heavy flavor. Some citrus and dry bitterness well after the swallow, but the funk never lets up. Somer peppercorn late, no kumquats. A few guys at the tasting mentioned pineapple, I never picked that up. Preparing myself for the sip helps, but this is more for the palate education than enjoyment. I don't like it much but I have a feeling it's right on target for what was intended, so I'm ducking out with a 3. Some of the guys at the tasting really liked and went back for seconds, so I brought it for them.

Mouthfeel - very fluffy, crisp, and refreshing feel on the palate.

Overall - nope. I'll have to find someone to trade for the other bottle, not interested in seeing how much funkier this can get over time.

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

Purchased while in Anchorage.

Very interesting brew. Poured a hazy light golden straw color (like a wit). Only a little musty on the nose, but did get some sweet citrus too.

Having had an all galaxy IPA before, I thought this didn't showcase the hop all that well. The bitterness is nice for an IPA, but there is a sharp note on the finish (could be the peppercorns?) that most IPA junkies wouldn't like (and I had to find myself pausing and try to figure out what my palate was picking up). I only noticed it on the first few sips--after that tasted like a slightly funky IPA. I dig the funk, but this beer seemed to be going in too many directions for me.

This is definitely one for beer nerds as this beer is more of an "esoteric" IPA. If you are like me an enjoy trying every type of beer out there, its definitely worth a shot. However, if you think this is going to be Belgian, a wit, or even your typical IPA, this brew may leave you scratching your head.

Kudos for pushing the boundaries of beer--its different, thats for sure. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Grade: B

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

From notes. Batch 1.

A: Pours a hazy yellow body with large off-white head that collapses in sections and leaves lace.

S: As with the tripel I just reviewed from Anchorage, there is a signature brett aroma of lemon zest and a touch of hay-like funk. Mild earth. I really liked Bitter Monk, so I was hoping this would be an equally compelling IPA, but it is pretty lacking; it actually reminds me more of a saison minus phenols.

T: Lemon, earth, and grass. The beer finishes dry with a slight band-aid aftertaste.

O: I wrote in my notes: "not fresh?" I couldn't figure out when it was bottled at the time of my note-taking, but I was informed later that it was over 3 months old at that point. Still, having purchased it from a refrigerated store and also having spent about $15 on it, I had a reasonable expectation that this would be better than it was.

3.14/5  rDev -22.1%

750 ml corked and caged bottle
Served into a tulip glass

A: Pale golden yellow body, reminiscent of a Witbier which I believe is the base of this beer. Fluffy, soapy and sudsy white head fills the glass. Thick retention cap and sticky lacing on the walls. Very nice looking for this "hybrid" style.

S: Lemon, white pepper, coriander, floral hops and some funk. A bit of dry tannins from the oak come through towards the back. Very light and perfume-like almost, but not overpowering.

T: Dry oak and astringent spices up-front. Peppercorn, coriander and wheat mid-palate. Extremely dry and funky on the finish with some notable floral/grassy hops. For me, this seems way too dry and it doesn't allow the flavor profile to open up enough.

M: Bubbly, high carbonation with a smooth feel. Again, extremely dry on the finish all over the palate, not great.

I think I had higher expectations for this beer than it delivered. That said, it was an interesting beer and I appreciate the experimental nature of it. Perhaps a little bit more of the citrusy Witbier qualities to help balance out the dryness of the wood aging would help.

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Pours pretty much clear, almost colorless. A one finger white head forms and recedes in a second to a ring. Light lace.
S: Earthy yeast up front with some peppery spice. Hops come into play quickly. Zesty lemon, orange peal, grassy hops.
T: Up front is the same as the nose. Earthy, spicy, zesty lemons. Tangy orange peal, grassy hops. Though a chalky flavor comes into play. Chalky like aspirin flavors that lingers and detracts for me.
M/D: A medium body that is a bit thin. Again, very chalky in the mouth that I am not a fan of. Not hard to drink, but one is enough.

I love what Anchorage has been doing, though this did not hit the spot for me. It is not bad at all, I am just not a fan of the chalky flavor/consistency that I get. Worth a try if you are a fan of their other offerings however.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Corked bottle ordered through letspour...poured in Corsendonk chalice glass.
Even before opening, you can see this is a hazy, hefeweizen, modestly or unfiltered beer.
Nice pop of cork...pours a cloudy yellow gold, white gold...Belgian wit color.
Big head of clouds hangs quite a bit.
Aroma is big...tangerine, clove, rosemary, cardamon, black pepper, kumquat, vibrant hops, citrus, citrus hops, mango, orange.
Big carbonation and spicy mouthfeel.
Flavors of funky, bitter hops and malt. Whoa...I'd better give this 5 minutes...
OK...it's opened up and that helps...cantalope and hop aroma, nice head remains, cloudy but not noticeable particulates...yet! Rich, bold flavors...somewhat of an assault on the tongue and mouth but not a complete palate wrecker, so to speak! There's some cream of tartar, a slight chalk dryness, some melon rind juice, subtle sweetness, herbs, yeast...strange strong abv saison qualities. The French oak leaves a big imprint, or, masks some inherent flavors. This is an example where I wonder if oak helps a good beer. Then again, the Brett also adds complexity, and I'm not sure it helps. I guess it's what you're hoping for, and I should therefore be open minded to what's offered, but it's bitter, dry, funky and, for me, significantly difficult.
Funny thing...I only just looked at the side label that mentioned kumquats and peppercorns. I sometimes mention these as flavors in beers that don't actually contain them, but this time it does...that explains quit a bit...gosh darn kumquats. OK...that said, I'm half way through, solo on this bottle, and will give it another five minutes....
Yep...brought a taste to a distinguished beer taster and she said bitter and gave me the puckering "uh what's this" expression. Not pretty. Still, I appreciate this...am amazed I guessed kumquats, find it bold and tasty, especially after some opening up, but unnecessarily complex, busy, bitter, and weird.

3.46/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours very light straw with a big airy foam with good retention and lacing.

Smells of slight citrus, but is overpowered by the brett and spices.

Starts off with a nice flavor of citrus and kumquat. The brett then takes over mid-palate is a bit too overpowering, but not a show stopper. Finishes with a wicked pepper spice that I'm not a fan of at all. This did subside a bit as the beer warmed, and it was a substantially better beer at that point.

Fairly light bodied with good carbonation.

The brett is a bit overpowering in this and it was downright bad to the harsh pepper aftertaste while cold, but the warmer it got, the more that receded and the better the beer got. Marked down a bit because of the initial taste, but by the end of the bottle was actually pretty good.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Really nice looking beer, slightly opaque golden color with a decent looking head. It is one finger but the bubbles are rather medium sized and tehy all line up to try and reach the top to escape into the atmosphere. My nose detects citrus, orange, lemon, grass, and then hay and a slight note of basement and funk...yes some barrel too. Everything seems good so far, then I tast the beer, bummer. Right off the bat it is good. Hoppy, citrus forward flowery punch, a hint of crisp white wine, but then...dirt, earth, just poor fermentation management on the brett scene. The minerally quality of anchorage brewing has got me down. Mouthfeel is overly spritzy to style. A let down, I'm over this brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Careful when opening. Almost killed me.

3.51/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Batch 3/Aug 2012 bottling. Had Anchorage's Love Buzz at a tasting a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, so I picked this one up. Shared amongst peeps.

Loud pop from the cork, no gushing but certainly a foamy monster. The beer is a hazy peach color with a monstrous white head that eventually settles to a bubble bath cap that leaves some lace.

Smell is very brett forward; lots of orange, tropical, yeast and funky hay twang coming through. Decent strength but a little on the simplistic side.

Taste brings lots of orange/tangerine/coriander, grapefruit, brett/yeast/hay, biscuit, earthiness, and very light peppercorn spice. Slightly medicinal, definitely a sharp taste. Not much wine/oak barrels show through the madness.

Light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation, the foaminess of it is a bit too much for me.

A little overwhelming and kind of clashing flavors, but decent.

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Huge fluffy, pillowy white head. Smells like cannabis and dirty gym socks. Definitely some horse blanket and barnyard funk on this. The taste was very muted though. Very like, highly carbonated. Some brett but overall it's lacking in flavor.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Since all the other pricey Anchorage options have been quite good, I decided to splurge and pick up a bottle of this.

Pours the usual cloudy haze, yellow appearance, substantial 1.8" white head. Looks good. Aroma, didn't have the same pungency of Bitter Monk unfortunately. Leaned more wit, then belgian, and only then ipa (last). Aroma of wood/oak, white wine, kindofa bretty aroma.

Taste, chalky bretty, spice, coriander, mild citrus notes. Lacked the hops and bitterness of bitter monk. This was more like a wit straight up. It also lacked the tartness/sourness and acidity that I was hoping for. If I was in charge, this would have more hop character, and less belgian wit character. Alcohol seemed higher than their other beers that are actually higher in alcohol content. A little bit of grassyness to it as well. I dunno, I think they should drop the 'ipa' reference on the label. A decent beer, but nowhere near as good as the Bitter Monk, for many reasons.

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First Alaska rate! Pours cloudy yellow with a massive light fluffy head that explodes up the glass. Aroma is big lemon peel, oak, funky brett, some light spices and hints of earthy hops. More of a farmhouse ale than an IPA on the nose. Light bodied with lots of carbonation (maybe too much?). Flavor is dusty bitter up front, followed by a bit of pine hop, and then finishes with some sweet lemon and pineapple. Sour kumquattyness. Very, very dry to the point that I need a drink of water afterward. The up front bitter is unpleasant and seems a bit off for my liking. I could definitely see this as a summer beer, and it drinks extremely light for 7.5%. But overall I am much less impressed with this than others. The appearance and huge carbonation hurt the final rating, but it seems to have hit what they were going for.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

A- a cloudy-yellow bronze liquid with a persistant half inch white head.

S- Lemon zest and plant nursery. A strange combination, but it works.

T- Lemon and coriander notes dominate. A slight banana aftertaste. Very faint flavor-wise,

M- Medium carbonation. Not enough to affect the taste of the beer or leave a sour note on the tongue.

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured a very light straw yellow with a big and sticky white head.

The smell was more Brett and musty than the Galaxy itself with some very light citrus notes sneaking through.

The flavor was a touch tart with bits of oak, citrus, and light tropical fruits all coming through, but overall very mild. The sour and musty brett flavors along with the oak really mask the hops. There is a very mild amount of bitterness.

The mouthfeel was very dry and clean.

A good beer, drinks more like a nice Berliner Weiss than Belgian IPA, but seems almost like a waste to use Galaxy in such a minor starring role.

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

SMELL: Immediate, bright hops intensely blended with equally bright lemon juice citrus. Some definite pepper spiciness accented off the bitter sweet smell.

TASTE: First reaction is a surprising division of the mouth feel. It feels like it divided in half, the top being bright and citrusy while the lower part is strangely dry and clear. Very clear, refreshing vibe overall, with a mild spicy bitterness seeming to follow. The bitter hops lingers forever almost uncomfortably bitter.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

750 ml bottle. Pours bubbly hazy bright yellow with a huge bubbly white head that grows in the glass and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is spices, soapy floral notes and brett.

The flavor is sweet wheaty malts and sweet honey fruitiness with floral hops and peppery spices that leaves some good bitterness in the finish. The brett is a bit subdued. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with soft carbonation.

Overall, an interesting well done beer. One of the better Belgian IPAs I've had. I still don't really love the blend of Belgian yeast and the hops - maybe fruitier hops would be better for me. I'd also like more Brett out of this one.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch #5 dated July 2013

Hazy light yellowish poor; head settles to a film with retained lacing. Heavy smell of citrus, tropical fruit - signature brett - with some light bready malts. I get some bitterness in the nose. Bright and tart citrus up front - primarily orange peel and some grapefruit - with an odd combination of fruits mid palate. Minimal bready malt. Very dry. Fairly funky and peppery on the finish with some stale bitterness and a touch of unpleasant astringency. Mouthfeel is on the thin side with low to moderate, prickly carbonation.

This one drinks like a mix between a belgian IPA and a saison. I like what it's trying to do but I don't think it was successful. I'm also not sure time was kind to this. There are a fair amount of hops but the hop flavors are not fresh. The Brett is very developed and the additives make for an interesting and very fruity experience. But it just doesn't come together for me. Add in some off flavors and I will pass next time.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Batch #3, August 2012 (nice to see this all the way from Alaska, welcome to Maine):

In my chalice:

A: golden hazy yellow body leaving a super big head for a Belgian IPA (about three fingers), some really nice looking foamy lacing appears

S: Galaxy hops up front and the Brett comes out appropriately with the grapefruit and peppercorn

T: Brett with hints of lemon, the grapefruit coming back

M: I can tell it was aged in wine tanks, because there is a great quality of wine-likeness to it. Harshness all around, perhaps one of the most harsh beers I've ever had, but I know, its part of the style, so I'll just keep going since there are people out there that love this stuff. Drinkable, perhaps to some, but to me, uh . . . not really.

O: this is good for its style but since I'm still not much of a fan of the lighter Belgian styles, just ok to me. I'll keep looking for lighter Belgians to try and maybe I'll find my niche in one of these things some day.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a straw almost white yellow color with a big three finger head despite a pretty easy pour. Thre are big lines of lace all over the glass. The aroma is of breadiness, lemon zest and floral and earthy hops. The aroma is deep and full. The taste is unique. There is a lemonzest and corriander taste up front along with brett. The middle waters out a little and you get belgian yeast and some funk. The back end is all hops, it is a floral earthy hop at the back end. Not overly bitter but it balances out very well. The mouthfeel is very carbonated, in fact when I uncorked the bottle i almost killed three people. Mouthfeel is stingy and bubbly. Overall it is a decent belgian ipa, it starts out strong but starts to fizzle a little at the end.

Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage Brewing Company