Galaxy White IPA - Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012

White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 820 | Reviews: 212

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Careful when opening. Almost killed me.

4.96/5  rDev +23.1%

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Wow, this brew is full of life! As soon as I took the wire off the cork, it pressed its way out to a large sounding "pop"! Upon pouring, I got nothing but thick white foam, which took a couple of minutes to settle...it's very champagne like for sure! It is cloudy, with plenty of yeast suspended....hard to see the carbonation, but believe me, its there. The lacing is actually very watery...something I didn't expect actually.

S- This has a very earthy/fruity aroma overall. There is plenty of fresh leafy hop cones noted and it is very fruity.....citrus to be exact.....full of grapefruit and tangerine. Spices are aplenty as well, with the coriander upfront, and a bolder smell, which I'm guessing comes from the peppercorn...almost enough to make a guy want to sneeze! It is also rich with yeasty biscuit like aromas...buttery in fact! This is a complex smelling beer, which very nice!

T- Well we get the best of both worlds here style wise! Right upfront are the bittering hops that make the sides of my mouth pucker. Once the initial bitter shock is gone, the flavors get deeper, with the hops themselves becoming very leafy. The fruitiness is also apparent, but the grapefruit aromas I smelled earlier, turn more into pomello and navel orange like. There is a spice that just hits the back of my palate and tickles my throat.....a subtle peppery note. The hops especially are very noticeable upon belching lol.

M/D- This is a highly carbonated beer, as noted before, and scrubs the palate very much so! It's a decent balance between bitter and citrus that, while I find thin bodied, is very refreshing and I'm finding it very easy to get through this 750ml bottle quickly. The alcohol is hidden very well but will sneak up on a person I'm guessing. I'm pleasantly surprised that I am enjoying this as much as I am, as I'm not a huge IPA guy, but the melding of styles works beautifully! I recommend this one and would have no issues picking this up again!

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage Brewing Company