Galaxy White IPA - Anchorage Brewing Company

Galaxy White IPAGalaxy White IPA

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.00% ABV

White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)

WolfsbaneBloom, Jan 10, 2013

dookiebrown, Jun 22, 2013

Jason1337, May 20, 2013

XmnwildX12, Jan 05, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -24.6%

Purchased while in Anchorage.

Very interesting brew. Poured a hazy light golden straw color (like a wit). Only a little musty on the nose, but did get some sweet citrus too.

Having had an all galaxy IPA before, I thought this didn't showcase the hop all that well. The bitterness is nice for an IPA, but there is a sharp note on the finish (could be the peppercorns?) that most IPA junkies wouldn't like (and I had to find myself pausing and try to figure out what my palate was picking up). I only noticed it on the first few sips--after that tasted like a slightly funky IPA. I dig the funk, but this beer seemed to be going in too many directions for me.

This is definitely one for beer nerds as this beer is more of an "esoteric" IPA. If you are like me an enjoy trying every type of beer out there, its definitely worth a shot. However, if you think this is going to be Belgian, a wit, or even your typical IPA, this brew may leave you scratching your head.

Kudos for pushing the boundaries of beer--its different, thats for sure. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Grade: B

TriggerFingers, Jul 11, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -24.1%

From notes. Batch 1.

A: Pours a hazy yellow body with large off-white head that collapses in sections and leaves lace.

S: As with the tripel I just reviewed from Anchorage, there is a signature brett aroma of lemon zest and a touch of hay-like funk. Mild earth. I really liked Bitter Monk, so I was hoping this would be an equally compelling IPA, but it is pretty lacking; it actually reminds me more of a saison minus phenols.

T: Lemon, earth, and grass. The beer finishes dry with a slight band-aid aftertaste.

O: I wrote in my notes: "not fresh?" I couldn't figure out when it was bottled at the time of my note-taking, but I was informed later that it was over 3 months old at that point. Still, having purchased it from a refrigerated store and also having spent about $15 on it, I had a reasonable expectation that this would be better than it was.

Arbitrator, Nov 18, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

750 ml corked and caged bottle
Served into a tulip glass

A: Pale golden yellow body, reminiscent of a Witbier which I believe is the base of this beer. Fluffy, soapy and sudsy white head fills the glass. Thick retention cap and sticky lacing on the walls. Very nice looking for this "hybrid" style.

S: Lemon, white pepper, coriander, floral hops and some funk. A bit of dry tannins from the oak come through towards the back. Very light and perfume-like almost, but not overpowering.

T: Dry oak and astringent spices up-front. Peppercorn, coriander and wheat mid-palate. Extremely dry and funky on the finish with some notable floral/grassy hops. For me, this seems way too dry and it doesn't allow the flavor profile to open up enough.

M: Bubbly, high carbonation with a smooth feel. Again, extremely dry on the finish all over the palate, not great.

I think I had higher expectations for this beer than it delivered. That said, it was an interesting beer and I appreciate the experimental nature of it. Perhaps a little bit more of the citrusy Witbier qualities to help balance out the dryness of the wood aging would help.

ShanePB, Feb 26, 2012

CoryR, Mar 15, 2013

WDJersey, Jul 26, 2012

brendaniel, Oct 01, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Pours pretty much clear, almost colorless. A one finger white head forms and recedes in a second to a ring. Light lace.
S: Earthy yeast up front with some peppery spice. Hops come into play quickly. Zesty lemon, orange peal, grassy hops.
T: Up front is the same as the nose. Earthy, spicy, zesty lemons. Tangy orange peal, grassy hops. Though a chalky flavor comes into play. Chalky like aspirin flavors that lingers and detracts for me.
M/D: A medium body that is a bit thin. Again, very chalky in the mouth that I am not a fan of. Not hard to drink, but one is enough.

I love what Anchorage has been doing, though this did not hit the spot for me. It is not bad at all, I am just not a fan of the chalky flavor/consistency that I get. Worth a try if you are a fan of their other offerings however.

champ103, May 20, 2012
3.36/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Corked bottle ordered through letspour...poured in Corsendonk chalice glass.
Even before opening, you can see this is a hazy, hefeweizen, modestly or unfiltered beer.
Nice pop of cork...pours a cloudy yellow gold, white gold...Belgian wit color.
Big head of clouds hangs quite a bit.
Aroma is big...tangerine, clove, rosemary, cardamon, black pepper, kumquat, vibrant hops, citrus, citrus hops, mango, orange.
Big carbonation and spicy mouthfeel.
Flavors of funky, bitter hops and malt. Whoa...I'd better give this 5 minutes...
OK...it's opened up and that helps...cantalope and hop aroma, nice head remains, cloudy but not noticeable particulates...yet! Rich, bold flavors...somewhat of an assault on the tongue and mouth but not a complete palate wrecker, so to speak! There's some cream of tartar, a slight chalk dryness, some melon rind juice, subtle sweetness, herbs, yeast...strange strong abv saison qualities. The French oak leaves a big imprint, or, masks some inherent flavors. This is an example where I wonder if oak helps a good beer. Then again, the Brett also adds complexity, and I'm not sure it helps. I guess it's what you're hoping for, and I should therefore be open minded to what's offered, but it's bitter, dry, funky and, for me, significantly difficult.
Funny thing...I only just looked at the side label that mentioned kumquats and peppercorns. I sometimes mention these as flavors in beers that don't actually contain them, but this time it does...that explains quit a bit...gosh darn kumquats. OK...that said, I'm half way through, solo on this bottle, and will give it another five minutes....
Yep...brought a taste to a distinguished beer taster and she said bitter and gave me the puckering "uh what's this" expression. Not pretty. Still, I appreciate this...am amazed I guessed kumquats, find it bold and tasty, especially after some opening up, but unnecessarily complex, busy, bitter, and weird.

DenverLogan, Feb 01, 2013