Galaxy White IPA - Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012

White IPA brewed w/ 100% Galaxy hops, kumquats, corriander & peppercorns. Fermented in French Oak Foudres. Bottle Conditioned w/ Brett.

3.01/5  rDev -25.3%

uncorks with a vehement pop, rush of air, but controlled release - no foam rush or anything.
Appearance - pours into the glass four to five fingers of foam, white, stiff and cakey. Lots of dotty and speckled lace around the glass. The brew itself is a hazy pale lemon yellow with a number of bead tendrils sending bubbles due north.

Aroma - oh it's funky. A hint of lemon citrus, but lots of Brett funkified nose. For Brett fans this probably smells great but I struggle with it.

Taste - pretty funky. I was hoping for more IPA influence, that's not happening. Very funky Brett-heavy flavor. Some citrus and dry bitterness well after the swallow, but the funk never lets up. Somer peppercorn late, no kumquats. A few guys at the tasting mentioned pineapple, I never picked that up. Preparing myself for the sip helps, but this is more for the palate education than enjoyment. I don't like it much but I have a feeling it's right on target for what was intended, so I'm ducking out with a 3. Some of the guys at the tasting really liked and went back for seconds, so I brought it for them.

Mouthfeel - very fluffy, crisp, and refreshing feel on the palate.

Overall - nope. I'll have to find someone to trade for the other bottle, not interested in seeing how much funkier this can get over time.

3.03/5  rDev -24.8%

Purchased while in Anchorage.

Very interesting brew. Poured a hazy light golden straw color (like a wit). Only a little musty on the nose, but did get some sweet citrus too.

Having had an all galaxy IPA before, I thought this didn't showcase the hop all that well. The bitterness is nice for an IPA, but there is a sharp note on the finish (could be the peppercorns?) that most IPA junkies wouldn't like (and I had to find myself pausing and try to figure out what my palate was picking up). I only noticed it on the first few sips--after that tasted like a slightly funky IPA. I dig the funk, but this beer seemed to be going in too many directions for me.

This is definitely one for beer nerds as this beer is more of an "esoteric" IPA. If you are like me an enjoy trying every type of beer out there, its definitely worth a shot. However, if you think this is going to be Belgian, a wit, or even your typical IPA, this brew may leave you scratching your head.

Kudos for pushing the boundaries of beer--its different, thats for sure. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Grade: B

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

From notes. Batch 1.

A: Pours a hazy yellow body with large off-white head that collapses in sections and leaves lace.

S: As with the tripel I just reviewed from Anchorage, there is a signature brett aroma of lemon zest and a touch of hay-like funk. Mild earth. I really liked Bitter Monk, so I was hoping this would be an equally compelling IPA, but it is pretty lacking; it actually reminds me more of a saison minus phenols.

T: Lemon, earth, and grass. The beer finishes dry with a slight band-aid aftertaste.

O: I wrote in my notes: "not fresh?" I couldn't figure out when it was bottled at the time of my note-taking, but I was informed later that it was over 3 months old at that point. Still, having purchased it from a refrigerated store and also having spent about $15 on it, I had a reasonable expectation that this would be better than it was.

3.14/5  rDev -22.1%

750 ml corked and caged bottle
Served into a tulip glass

A: Pale golden yellow body, reminiscent of a Witbier which I believe is the base of this beer. Fluffy, soapy and sudsy white head fills the glass. Thick retention cap and sticky lacing on the walls. Very nice looking for this "hybrid" style.

S: Lemon, white pepper, coriander, floral hops and some funk. A bit of dry tannins from the oak come through towards the back. Very light and perfume-like almost, but not overpowering.

T: Dry oak and astringent spices up-front. Peppercorn, coriander and wheat mid-palate. Extremely dry and funky on the finish with some notable floral/grassy hops. For me, this seems way too dry and it doesn't allow the flavor profile to open up enough.

M: Bubbly, high carbonation with a smooth feel. Again, extremely dry on the finish all over the palate, not great.

I think I had higher expectations for this beer than it delivered. That said, it was an interesting beer and I appreciate the experimental nature of it. Perhaps a little bit more of the citrusy Witbier qualities to help balance out the dryness of the wood aging would help.

Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage Brewing Company