A Deal With The Devil - Anchorage Brewing Company

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Barleywine |  17.30% ABV

Beer added by: HuskyinPDX on 01-29-2013

Barleywine style ale brewed with Galaxy Hops. A starting gravity of 37 Plato. Aged eleven months in Cognac barrels.
Ratings: 656 | Reviews: 101
4.51/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep mahogany body with only a thin ring of tan foam. Appropriately intense.

S: Rich, opulent sweetness - cognac, vanilla, toffee, raisin, and oak. Decadent.

T: Opens with candied dark fruits, followed by intense, almost chewy caramel maltiness. Vanilla and brandy from the barrel join in on a warming finish that lasts for days. Substantial burn, but in a satisfying way that suits the beer's strength - never harsh. Delicious.

M: Thick, viscous, and lightly carbonated.

O: A beast of a beer, but one that never feels out of control. Very well done indeed.

Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very smooth for 17%, but sweet for my taste

4.84/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I have ever had. Split with a friend who continually asked me to open until I finally relented. I think I could have drank it alone because it goes down WAY TOO EASY. Smoothest 17.3% beer ever for sure. Tons of cognac and fruit, even a nice hop presence. Definitely hunting for another one.

4.46/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml batch #2 bottle poured into brandy snifter a ways back (from notes) thanks alpineclimber for the bottle

A darker then expected, brownish amber when held to the light, a little tan foam but little retention and no lace but at this ABV that's what I expect, some legs and visible bubbles looks like a big one alright

S I get the cognac but not much wood, maple, brown sugar, some fruit I can't place, ju jubes, its boozy but I wouldn't guess its such a monster, some caramel apple, vanilla, honey, some rum soaked raisins, plenty going on

T still lots of cognac, slightly more wood, sugar of all sorts, candy like, there's booze but fairly well managed all things considered, some sponge toffee, fruit liqueur maybe cherry? hard to place the fruit in this one, more toffee, more cognac, its tasty but a sipper no doubt

M very thick and syrupy, a couple bubbles here and there, my lips are stuck together but a little oily on the palate, there's heat but its mellow, booze hits your chest and brain pretty fast though, caramel and cognac linger

O this one will ruin you in a hurry, massive but well executed and surprisingly easy to drink. Its one of those beers that I'd like to try again in a decade, this one could really go the distance IMO.

Its a good thing my wife likes BW because I'm a little over my head trying to take this one on solo, would work well in a 250ml or maybe I should just make some friends.

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the most expensive bottle of beer I've gotten so far without shipping ($33) so I was really hoping I would like it and I was impressed.

A - Very dark amber color that is somewhat cloudy from the journey this beer has taken. Has a bone colored head that subsides quickly and leaves only a few spots of lacing.

S - Big sweet malt character and a huge dark fruit character accompanied by caramel and some vanilla. The booze is not bad and only adds to the evaporation of the complex aromas. It is quite an amazing smelling beer at >17%.

T - Similar to the smell but much more robust, with a sweet malt character first and then a wash of big flavors takes the tongue. Toward the middle is the rich dark fruit and deep caramel that is almost like candied raisins which I really enjoy. Approaching the back of the tongue is the oak, caramel, and vanilla from the barrel. The finish has the dark fruits and some warmth from the alcohol.

M - High mouth-feel with low carbonation. This just feels right and how the beer should be; soft on the palate, full flavored, and not too cloying. Again it's hard to believe that this beer is so high in ABV since it doesn't really burn on the way down.

Overall, this is an amazing barleywine. I really don't like Cognac but this beer really takes the fruit flavors and ramps it up into a very delicious elixir. It is very complex, flavorful, and a good get but at this price and at this high of an ABV I definitely wouldn't get it more than once a year or even half the volume. If you want to polish your beer resume then you have to try this one if you get a chance but don't expect gold leaf, just gold quality.

Glass- Snifter

750ml bottle $38.99 (ouch). Dark brown, cloudy. People won't like this but to me it smelled like aged Bigfoot. Flavor was sugary sweet, brown sugar, and cognac. A good tasting beer but no way this should be priced more than Darkest Hour.

3.26/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Very sweet! Too much to enjoy

3.09/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

This is a sugar booze bomb

3.85/5  rDev -15%

For a Barleywine (not my style) it's one of best I've had

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the real deal (with a devil)

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

This drinks like a Big beer with serious boldness. The front is thick and chewy toffee, caramel, molasses, Werthers Original candies and some dark fruit. It ends with a creamy liqueur like an Irish cream and what I suppose is cognac.

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The Cognac really comes through on this one. It's such a heavy beer, and it's incredibly sweet. Definitely one for sharing.

4.49/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Sitting on a nice night with Chris Truskey, fresh out of jail. This tastes a candy stick. Actually goes down well for such a heavy abv. Chris is telling me a story about his prison stint....boring ...

Simply amazing barleywine. Hands down the best I've had. Packs one hell of a punch!

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Toffee, brown sugar, burnt caramel and a bit of wine barrel. Thick! Complex. Damn. This is awesome.

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great, chewy barleywine and probably my favorite barrel aged offering. Lots of dark fruit, walnuts, and sweet candy on the nose with a great presence of cognac and strong brandy. This is a thick drink but extremely smooth. The ABV is noticeable but not overpowering. On the sweeter spectrum of barleywines, but the overall texture and mix of fruits, cognac, and sweetness make this a near perfect offering. Thank you, Anchorage.

Absolutely hands down the best barrel aged beer I have ever had

4.91/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ok here we go.
2014 Batch 2 poured into a teku glass

P- pours a dark amber with very little to no head. There is some lacing around the glass. Very thick

S- The smell is absolutely amazing, It has dark fruits, vanilla, caramel, toffee, brown sugar. This is by far the best smelling barley my sniffer has ever encountered. It literally is making my mouth water.

T- OMG. Candied sugar, Toffee, Vanilla, Brown Sugar, Caramel all hit your palate like an explosion. This is a Sweet one thats for sure. The high abv is unnoticable.

M- Super thick. Coats the entire mouth perfectly. Makes for a great sipper as the taste well stay in your mouth for a long period.

O- This is by far the best B Wine I have had the pleasure of having. IMO better then King Henry and MOAS. I simply cant put how good this is. It meets everything I look for in a B Wine sweet, great flavor profile, and hidden ABV. If you could try 1 B Wine before you die get this one!

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Not generally a huge fan of barley wines. However, this particular one is the epitome of a well crafted beer of that style. Two thumbs up.

2.97/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dan Nos Boss like a bawz. Thanks for sharing.

A- Amazing label bottle drops a somewhat hazy caramel amber brew which ends up with a thick creamy head. Pillow thick ring leaves rare lace.

S- Old Ale caramel delivered by the devil himself apparently, its huge. Cognac, toast and raisins with time. Apple juice rears its head with more time.

T- Massive caramel sweetness is a vast majority of the flavor; butterscotch is mentioned. Woody oak from the barrel as well as some deep sugar tones and heavy raisins. Mostly just like Old Ales but less balanced and insanely sweet. Apple juice again.

MF- One of the most oily and viscous brews I have encountered. That being said it has a creamy and smooth texture despite low end carbonation. No heat, somehow.

Tastes like an underfermented sweet homebrew with some oak chips thrown in. Caramel sugar bomb. Apple juice flavors just don't mesh well with the rest of the brew. Maybe a different batch or something but this is not what I expected.

4.69/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Batch 2 from a bottle. $35 plus shipping from SFO.

This is a BIG beer, all around. Big taste and mouthfeel. Big Barleywine which is fairly seet up front with the apple barrel taking over 1/2 way through, well into the long finish. It would take a while to sip on even half this bottle, so as with most beers, best shared with friends! This one lives up to the hype.

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Big ups to Sanderson for providing this bottle; I’ve been looking forward to it like a Friday night in Venice. 750ML bomber with some awesome bottle art & a bizarre, stream-of-consciousness poem on the back that I felt compelled to read out loud. Plus points already.

The pour is low carbonation & looks like it could be solidified slightly & worked into a clay animation video. The smell is more akin to a fine liqueur one might sip looking out over the pier in Lisbon. Cognac, caramel, love. This just smells like it’s going to kick ass.

A Deal With the Devil makes me stop & smell the roses; I’m going to savor this like a twelve minute lap dance. The cognac here is not subtle but smoother than a Cano swing, without a hint of alcohol or harshness. The malts are secondary: toffee, caramel, roundhouse of sweetness, candied sugar, brown sugar…this should have a vial of insulin taped to the bottle. Vanilla, honey emerge as it warms. Alcohol finally emerges as a nuclear chain reaction in my gut, spreading warmth in every direction. Too many subtleties for my B- brain to comprehend. Sticky, thick, & sticky; I’d like this to be made into a syrup I could pour on my Belgian waffles. Drinkable? Shit. I could have drunk the entire bomber, gone & cracked another, & only been regretful tomorrow when I woke up & left several ounces undrunk, slipped out of my hand & spilled on the (wonderfully smelling) carpet.

This is better than Jurassic Park. Let me clarify, this is better than East of Eden, though doesn’t reach the level of Dune (though really, what does?). Anybody who’s looking for complexity, or an expensive drunk, or a kick-ass barleywine, should really just give their bottle to me. Excellent beer that’s only a chip shot from the elite.

Just an amazing beer. Thanks Josh! Now to try and get another ha.

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown in color and extremely hazy in complexion. There's a fingernail of dark khaki colored head. I smell dark malt and sweet cognac. The flavor is very malty and it finishes slightly sweet. The mouth is remarkably silky smooth considering the strength.

4.29/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. The most expensive beer I have bought. Oh Hell, tax returns were last week. As this beer falls into my glass I marvel at the visually noticeable viscosity. A Deal pours a dark copper color. Body is turbid and deep. As I agitate the glass, I can only gather a thin slice of tan, creamy foam. Spots and dots of lacing with legs like wine. Poured cold and allowed to warm. At its coldest, I get a cognac richness that is new to my senses. With warmth, the flavors don't necessarily change, they just become richer. Incredibly sweet smelling. Booze infused apples and dark fruits. Caramel and brown sugar by the gallon. Dry wood. Some wet, sugar-dipped tropical hops. One of the richest, sweetest aromas. The flavor is just as sweet as the nose suggested. Cognac really expresses itself. Lots of apple flavor. Caramel-coated figs, plums and raisins. A boozy woodiness. As it warms, it reminds me more and more of port wine. The Galaxy hops even raise a tentative hand here. Finishes with a ridiculous sweetness. Like drinking maple syrup. Softer carbonation. This beer's sweetness is so aggressive that I can't even taste the huge amount of booze hidden here. The flavor coats my palate and never leaves. A Deal With The Devil is incredibly ambitious. Cognac and probably 700 grams of sugar. I'm happy I went for it...just kidding, this beer was very overpriced.

A Deal With The Devil from Anchorage Brewing Company