Microbrew Invitational

A Deal With The DevilA Deal With The Devil

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States | website

Style: American Barleywine

Barleywine style ale brewed with Galaxy Hops. A starting gravity of 37 Plato. Aged eleven months in Cognac barrels.

Added by HuskyinPDX on 01-29-2013

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 120 | Ratings: 894
4.86/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Tasting at The Wine and Cheese Place. There were 4 bottle of this and I got two pours + another half pour. Poured into a wine glass after having a few collaborations between Anchorage and various breweries.

A - Pours nicely into a wine glass with a murky syrupy light carmel color with minimal head and minimal carb. This one coats the glass nicely and looks thick and chewy

S - Smell is loads of carmel, sugar, maple syrup, with hints of booze

T - Taste follows the nose here. Maple Syrup followed by carmel and hints of dark fruits that blend together to form an amazing taste. I thought this taste better than King Henry and I am basing this review off what I thought of King Henry a couple weeks ago. This one is so smooth and it hides the 17%+ very well. There is only a faint hint of booziness in this but nothing on the finish or anything that lingers. Carmel, Maple Syrup, Cognac, then dark fruits and hints of molasses

M - This is a very thick chewy viscous barley wine. Definitely a full bodied beer with minimal carbonation.

O - This is the best barley wine that I have had so far. Some people may not agree, but I love the sweetness to this beer and I think it is perfect for masking the 17% beast. I may have to seek this one out.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed out of a 750 mL Batch #1 bottle at an Anchorage tasting/flight at Bridger's Bottle Shop in Kansas City. Served in a half pint nonic style tumbler.

Appearance - Has the color of black strap molasses, and looks about as close to the consistency as a beer could look, with a very viscous feel and legs that really linger when I tip the glass to see the liquid wash over the side. There is only about a half finger of dark tan foam and it dissipates fairly quickly, leaving the slimmest of ringlets around the edge of the glass and zero lacing.

Smell - Rich, sweet aromas waft out of the glass, with flavors of dark salted caramel, molasses, maple syrup and buckwheat honey. There are hints at woody tannins, but I think most of the flavor profiles imparted by the barrel aging are more in the vein of port wine and rich, passionfruit syrup/jam, which I would guess comes from the Galaxy hops. I don't get any citrus or bitterness whatsoever.

Taste -The immediate impression that comes to mind is sorghum and syrup, almost like if you were to take whole grain pancakes and syrup, then infuse them into a beverage. It's not sweet enough to be straight up syrup, and the grain base definitely plows through to give this one a great flavor profile. Again, the notes of molasses and buckwheat honey are present, with the caramel being less noticeable than in the smell. There is also a hint of french vanilla and notes of candied figs and dates--again similar to port. I'm stunned at how well the booze is hidden. Not that it's unnoticeable, but that it's a bit of a surprise that we're in 17% range.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied--about as full bodied as any beer I've ever had--and low carbonation, which ultimately plays into the syrupy impression the beer gives. Very viscous and lingers on the palate long after the liquid has been swallowed, which is nice because you can sit and appreciate the flavors and give yourself some time to absorb the high levels of alcohol.

Overall, just an otherworldly beer. Even though this beer is listed as an American Barleywine, the barrel-aging has definitely taken over in the primary characteristics and gives it a very English feel with big sweetness and lots of grain. I wish I had a full bottle of my own, because I would love to pour this into a brandy snifter and sip on it over the course of an hour or two. And with the low carbonation, I can imagine it would hold up pretty well over a couple days--you could possibly even decant it without severely impacting the overall profile of the beer. I hope against hope that Anchorage produces this beer again and that I can actually procure some for myself.

4.02/5  rDev -10.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Batch #1, December 2013.

Appearance - Wow. It pours like fake milk in a cereal commercial. Murky reddish brown. Small khaki head. Thin collar.

Smell - Cognac. Dark caramel. Oak. Lots of brown sugar.

Taste - Viscous caramel. Cognac. Sharp fruitiness. Apples. Grape. Then brown sugar. Oaky finish. Thick syrupy sweetness. It's even a little hoppy.

Mouthfeel - This is thicker than any beer I've ever had. Medium low carbonation. Not very boozy, though.

Overall - This is serious. Good, but really sweet.

4.96/5  rDev +10.7%

Only batch so far - very cool bottle and artwork with some cool Daniel Webster quotations on the back

A - Pours a hazy brown, light yellow foam on the head, settled nicely (poured by a sommelier)

S - earthy and sweet, classic BW profile and a standard for all BW's

T - Impossible to describe it's complexity - subtle booziness almost caramel winey sweetness

M - Incredible, similar to a great wine, soft on the palate

O - an outstanding beer, probably the only batch 1 I'll have, felt quite lucky to enjoy at ChurchKey

4.39/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750mL bottle.

Cola-dark and impenetrable. No head.

Smells like 17%. Blast of fruity booze. Flat and sweet.

Not nearly as strong or sweet as anticipated. Really rich, deep, and full. Mouth-coating and marvelous. Dark fruits, hints of spice. Stewed and delicious. Carmelized brown sugar. Lingering, tobacco-esque finish. Big and bizarre and rewarding.

This is a sipper and a sharer, but this beer is very nice. Highly recommended. Would love to encounter again.

4.29/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml corked and caged bottle into Mikkeller stemware. Reviewed at a tasting 5/3/2014.

Pours a muddy maple syrup with no lace and no head. Huge, thick, oily legs really coat the glass though.

Nose is boozy. Maple, brown sugar, caramel and dark fruit. Rich and very robust.

Opens maple, brown sugar and caramel. Boozy in the middle with some nuttiness and dark fruit. End is sweet and sticky molasses. Some woodiness and leather too. Aftertaste of maple with just a very light tartness. Delicious!

Full bodied with low carbonation. Smooth and rich in the mouth and goes down heavy and viscous. Messy finish with a lingering, sticky aftertaste. Just right!

This isn't quite Perfect Storm or even King Henry but it certainly belongs in the conversation of top barleywines. Great complexity with an excellent feel to tie things together.

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from Churchkey in D.C. Split with a few buddies.

The beer looks like a muddy cola. Brownish gray and murky with an inch of thick, khaki hued cap. Not a very nice looking beer. However, every other aspect of the beer (all of the important attributes) is fantastic.

The aroma brings the cognac front and center. Additional notes of toffee, oak, booze, leather, brown sugar. Fabulous flavor, carrying every delectable whiff of the aroma into the taste. Rich and smooth. Delicate on the palate with a gentle, silky finish. 17.3% abv?!? Dangerously drinkable. Teeming with flavor, this is a beer to sip and savor. A top notch example of the style. I'd love to have this again sometime.

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into chalice.

Pours dark brown, small tan head, little lacing.

Aroma is huge dark fruit, fig, date, spiced plum, vanilla, oak, subtle Brandy, and a slight mintiness.

Taste brings fig, date, vanilla, oak, definite Brandy/cognac character. Also a slight bitterness I'm assuming from the hops which helps to balance out the beer and keep it from becoming cloying. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is pretty on par with English barleywines. Medium with soft carbonation. Sweet finish.

Overall, yes it's great. It's fantastic, but the best of the best? Probably not. Would love to have some to age. Would pull out port qualities that would make it even more interesting. Boozy for sure, but I find it hides it better than most Bruery booze bombs.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

an enormous barleywine type here, aged in cognac. an i thought between the staves was cognac heavy! ha! this is next level, ultra rich and decadent and intense. indian brown in color with about as much viscosity as ive seen in a beer. not much head, but a small ring of tan lace along the edge of my glass. it smells like cognac, with that sweet wine property, tons of oak, and an enormous grain bill that must assuredly add some leftover sugar to this. i feel the beer before i taste it, what an incredible texture to this, velvety smooth, slippery, but with a gigantic body, hard to even swallow this in big sips its so heavy, up there with the heaviest beers ive had really, as far as body is concerned, its almost not fully liquid, like maple syrup or something. burnt sugar and vanilla and cognac are the dominant flavors, and although it is quite sweet, i dont find it nasty and cloying and over the top. the wood mellows it all out. i am amazed at just how smooth this beer is, i mean, for 17% abv and change, its hardly hot in the slightest, and certainly doesnt reek of big booze and feel like a fusel bomb. certainly a bomber of this would light up even the most seasoned of drinkers, but is a beer to be shared anyhow. extremely impressed with such a big barleywine, and would take this over the likes of bourbon county and others, the texture is special.

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heard that Bier Stein got in a case, and that they were going to do 4 ounce pours for "only" $6 a pop. So I hustled right on down to get my fair share of abuse.

The beer pours an impressive tawny brown color with very good head retention and good lacing. The beer is every bit as impressive on the nose, as I picked up considerable milk chocolate, cherry prune, vanilla and toffee. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this decadently rich beer. The beer is almost viscuous on the palate, and mouthfeel is soft,creamy and very full. The finish is also quite long in this sweet, rich beer, and I'm amazed by how well the alcohol is integrated into the flavor profile. Yes, you can tell it's a big beer, but there's no heat or heaviness on the palate from the 17% abv.

A very impressive beer, and while enjoyable, the beer was so rich, 4 ounces was more than enough. Nevertheless, this is one of the better barleywines I've had in quite some time.

One of the more amusing comments I heard from the manager at Bier Stein (Dave) pertained to the beer's drinkability. He noted that you really couldn't tell this was a 17% abv. beer, that it really drank like a beer with only 12% abv. I suppose that's true, but 12% or 17%, this is a sizeable BW with some serious alcohol to it.

4.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Received with a tiny bit of head. The head is a creamy light beige with hints of tan and light burnt umber while the body is a deep chestnut brown that shows hints of beige and khaki in the light.

Nose- This is absolutely delicious. This hits all the notes you want a barleywine to hit and I'm surprised that this is described as an American barleywine because it doesn't smell like one. Huge notes of toffee, caramel, coconut, and vanilla. Light notes of chocolate and cocoa. Even minor butterscotch. I really enjoy smelling this beer so much that it's almost a shame to drink it.

Taste- Dominated by leather on the front and this leather continues to permeate through the flavor profile. Some tobacco. The intense malt notes of the aroma sit in the middle and while they are all there they don't seem to have the presence that they had on the aroma. Definite vanilla, toffee, and caramel. Slight butterscotch- minimal notes of chocolate and cocoa. The hops that seem to characterize this as an American barleywine come through stronger than they did on the noes. Slight woodiness with citrus notes that build to candied fruits on the finish. This is definitely a great beer but I think that I prefer Abacus. It's been sometime since I've had Abacus so I'm comparing from memory. I could compare side by side but the 5.50 for a 4 oz pour is too much in my opinion. This does hide the alcohol quite well but it is there. It seems more like a 12% than a 17%. Slight burnt caramel that tends toward popcorn. Definitely the best American barleywine out there and without a doubt, a great beer. I think the slight hop presence mars what could be a brilliant beer but that's mostly my preference for English barleywines.

Mouthfeel- Between medium bodied and heavy bodied with some carbonation and tons of syrup to the texture. This makes it seem thicker than it is.

Drinkability- This is a very dangerous beer. There is an alcohol presence but not 17%. I don't know if I would spend 30 on a bottle for myself but if I did, it would go down too quick. Great deal as a part of the Upper Lip flight.

Overall- Definitely a great beer but I don't think I can rank it as high as most have. This is partially a result of style but I do truly think that it isn't as good as Abacus. A must try, especially if you can get a small pour.

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4oz pour from a bottle

A: Dark brown with a good amount of carbonation and a thin tan head

S: Heaven. Such deep and rich notes of caramel, oak, vanilla, molasses and maple.

T: A very small sip is all you need for an absolutely explosion of flavor. Rich caramel, molasses, oak and lots of maple syrup. The alcohol is ridiculously well hidden, and although you don't taste the burn of it, you do get a very pleasant mouth numbing sensation from this beer. It really takes over every part of your mouth.

M: So thick and luxurious, but the carbonation is still very present which makes the mouthfeel on this beer amazing and special.

O: When I walked out the door to go to the bar and try this beer, I had a feeling that this might unseat my previously favorite beer or at least match it. Most of the time, those types of feelings are inaccurate, but in this case it was dead on. This beer meets the hype. Holy shit. Its amazing!

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%

Wow, only one full review of the amazing beer since October? A month ago I saw a whole pallet of it, wrapped in plastic and ready to be shipped south, in the Anchorage Brewing Company's facility. And some other pallets had already moved in that direction. I couldn't find a bottle of it for sale in Anchorage, though I had only missed the release by having been a week late getting home and not arranging for a proxy buyer.

The narrative of the scoring review is from notes in a dimly lit bar. Humpy's. While having a conversation with a friendly feller whose name I don't remember and who dropped $10 for an 8oz pour of this 2013 DWTD after I told him what I was drinking, and offered him a sip. ..

Continue reading after the scoring sections for a good story that beer geeks should enjoy….

In low light it is unclear whether or not it is murky. In retrospect, i doubt it. It appears to be mahogany in color and has little head or visible activity. Still, it's quite attractive.

I first notice plentiful boozy esters, but the often associated boozy heat is minimal. Earlier I find the aroma vaguely fruity, citrus and with the caramel elusive but detectable. Later the caramel becomes more prominent and cherry fruitiness emerges too.

It tastes surprisingly hoppy up front, thru the middle and even into the finish. That hoppiness includes some citrusy hop flavor as well as some mild bitterness. Other elements include cherry/fruity tartness, and the rich caramel sweetness that balances perfectly.

Perfect carbonation, high viscosity, rich and with a full body. Wicked smooth.

This is an extraordinary beer from an extraordinary brewer.

So I’m on my way home to Alaska. My buddy in Iowa has some of this beer he made over a year ago that is pretty flipping good. Though he has never had M, he modeled it after M based on things he had read. It kinda reminds me of Hebrew Jubilation 16. It weighed in at around 14.5%. So he put some in a bottle for me, with the plan that I would go see Gabe at Anchorage Brewing, share the homebrew with him, and maybe get some feedback and tips on the brew. That all came to pass. Gabe liked it, said “I dig it.” Then came the feedback. The oak and bourbon were a little overdone. Then the advice. Next time oak/bourbon part of the batch and not the other part. Then blend it together. Even play with different proportions in a glass before blending the whole batch, and use that experience to guide future decisions. It’s pretty cool that Gabe took the time to do this, and show me around. Again. He’d gotten a whole bunch more huge oak fermenters since the last time I was in there. He showed me the last pallet of DWTD that was about to be shipped to the states. I mentioned that I missed the release and had a nice vertical of Bourbon County with me (08, 09, 10, 12) that I’d be willing to trade if he knew anyone that had any. He found me a bottle and we commenced the deal. Then he told me that last years was on tap at Humpy’s and he’d had a glass with his lunch. I made a bee line over there to try it. The bottle I traded for will go back to Iowa and be shared with my friend who sent the homebrew attempt at M. Good story? … And the good news is that he is making exponentially more DWTD next year. I forget how much, but orders of magnitude more. He had to rent another building to hold all the barrels.

4.91/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle pouring at Belmont Station

Two 5 oz pours

Smell is of dark liquor, dark furits, figs, bourbon, cognac, maple syrup, carmel, and just thickness

had a slight head that goes away fairly quick. off white

mouthfeel is thick and slightly carbonated. coats the mouth and throat for a few minutes after swallowing..

taste/overall - this is a new standard for barley wines and barrel aged beer in general for me. over 17% and I feel I could drink it for hours (unless my liver quit working). so smooth and luxurious with a depth of flavors that is remarkable. Had not even heard of this beer 3 days ago and heard about this tasting. after reading about it I knew I had to try it and I am very glad I did. sounds like this stuff never comes around. higher alcohol and even better balanced that Sucaba which is damn impressive. they balanced the booze and the cognac barrel flavor so well with this beer and in the end all you taste is a cornocopia of flavors from dates, carmel, figs, bourbon/cognac, maple syrup, etc.. I really hope they put more of these out for sale some day as I will not forget this beer.

As a side note: the only bummer was the extreme price gauging done by Belmont Station with this tasting. I know this beer is expensive, but $10 for a 4-5oz pour??? that sucked, but oh well.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

I had this at "The Festival" in Portland, ME this summer. They were in the first few stalls on the left as you enetered. Out of the whole festival this is the beer that sticks with me.

It's a punishment for such a good beer to pack SUCH a whallop. Let me make this very clear, a 12 oz serving of this beer is a good buzz for an average sized adult male. 2 and you're in for a wild night.

Admitted this was the last beer of the show, but it should have been the first! This hands down is the best barely wine I have ever had. Beautiful dark plum flavor balanced by richness of the alcohol makes an amazing pairing. It's like being a kid again and looking up at the starry sky on an ink black night and relaizing how incredibly complex the universe is. You don't drink this beer, you embrace it in the deepest hug you can and hold on for the ride.

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A : My first bwine from HL 2013 poured a cloudy burgundy caramel like color with a small dirty tan cap leaving a nice little collar around the edge of the glass.

S: Big esidual sweetness on the nose; candy, caramel, cognac with some chocolate covered raisins and figs. A nice, pronounced Earthiness lends a hand on the nose as does some tame vanilla

T: Big sweetness meets big booze upfront, the flavor rumble royal picks up and body slams the palate with dark fruits in the way of figs, dates, raisins, some dark cherries, caramel, toffee. The booze is very well disguised and is it ever so dangerous! Layers upon layers of decadence, flavor and sweetness. The finish is a little hot and sweet from cognac but nice, warming and coating on the way down. A true dessert beer.

M: Big ol body on this mofo but it seems to get a little hotter on the back end, the longer it sits on the palate which gives a thin appearance at times. This beer was still all heart though!

O: Fantastic. I would love to have more of this in a bigger serving to accurately judge because 3oz was just not enough!

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Had on tap at Amsterdam Cafe in Anchorage. Just heard that the real name for this beer is " A Deal with the Devil". The name is fitting. I have no reservations saying that this is the best barley wine I have ever had, hands down, bar none, not even close. This beer needs to be bottled! I can't even explain in words how indulgent this beer is. Mouthfeel is smooth as butter. As smooth as any oatmeal stout but thicker and a little chewy. It's got that dark ripe ripe fruit and malty taste of a barely wine but just more dank. The flavors are so balanced it is ridiculous. It also tastes of rich toffee, caramel, malt, and wood. A little more boozy as it warms but barely. My mouth and lips are numb from all the alcohol. A real treat.

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 32oz growler into a snifter. Appearance is dark brown with ruby highlights around the edges. A thin white ring of bubbles form around the edges of the glass.

Smelling this beer is addicting. Smells of vanilla, oak, cognac, toffee and raisins. Wow

Taste follows the nose. Starts with vanilla and oak, then the sweet flavors of cognac toffee and dark fruits. Very complex and very balanced. Absolutely no hint of the 17.3% alcohol.

Mouthfeel is sticky. very light carbonation.

I didn't get to try this at the Alaska beer and Barleywine fest but I was very excited when I saw it at my local beer warehouse. I will definitely be first in line for this next year at the GABBF. Thanks for making this amazing beer Gabe, please put this in bottles

4.93/5  rDev +10%

This monster of a beer had an Original Gravity of 1152, resulting in an ABV of 17.3%, making it easily the strongest beer ever brewed in Alaska. It took over 4000 pounds of malt to brew this beer, and four separate 3.5 hours boils to fill just two 110 gallon used cognac barrels. Gabe Fletcher brewed it back in February and then let it age in the wood for over 8 months. What's even more amazing is that this is a single malt, single hop beer, quite unusual for a barley wine. So how does it taste?

In a word: Amazing! No, make that two words: Freakin' Amazing! First off, tasting it, you would never believe that it is north of 17% alcohol. It is so smooth and deep that I would have guess more like 12% tops. It is incredibly complex, with a balance and depth of flavor profile that has to be experienced to be believed. I first tasted it the day before the Great Alaska Beer & Barley Wine Festival and I immediately knew it would win first place; it was just that good. Once again Gabe Fletcher has pulled off a brewing masterpiece. A Deal with the Devil indeed. I'm starting to wonder if he didn't meet a certain gentleman at the crossroads late one night and make a deal for the power to brew these sort of beers. After all, if Robert Johnson could do it to learn how to play the guitar, why not a brewer?

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Humpy's in Anchorage.
Barleywine aged in French Cognac barrels from the 1960s.

A - Served a murky Carmel brown with ruby streaks. A light tan head forms and move to the edges, but never fully fades.

S - Red wine, oak, Carmel, toffee, raisins, cherry. Lots going on already.

T - It starts with lots of red wine and dark fruits, the the wood and Carmel flavors come in, then warm vanilla sweeps in at the end. Very layered an good.

D - Silky smooth and the alcohol is so well hidden. Light carbonation and a medium to heavy body as expected.

O - I first heard about this beer from Gabe last summer. It was brewed for the AK Barleywine fest, which I missed. I was very happy to hear that this was still on. Very good and I am thankful that I got a shot to try this.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last