A Deal With The Devil - Anchorage Brewing Company

A Deal With The DevilA Deal With The Devil

Anchorage Brewing Company visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Barleywine |  17.30% ABV

Barleywine style ale brewed with Galaxy Hops. A starting gravity of 37 Plato. Aged eleven months in Cognac barrels.

(Beer added by: HuskyinPDX on 01-29-2013)

blindpiggie, Apr 11, 2014

eawolff99, Apr 11, 2014

Mike, Apr 11, 2014
4.49/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heard that Bier Stein got in a case, and that they were going to do 4 ounce pours for "only" $6 a pop. So I hustled right on down to get my fair share of abuse.

The beer pours an impressive tawny brown color with very good head retention and good lacing. The beer is every bit as impressive on the nose, as I picked up considerable milk chocolate, cherry prune, vanilla and toffee. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this decadently rich beer. The beer is almost viscuous on the palate, and mouthfeel is soft,creamy and very full. The finish is also quite long in this sweet, rich beer, and I'm amazed by how well the alcohol is integrated into the flavor profile. Yes, you can tell it's a big beer, but there's no heat or heaviness on the palate from the 17% abv.

A very impressive beer, and while enjoyable, the beer was so rich, 4 ounces was more than enough. Nevertheless, this is one of the better barleywines I've had in quite some time.

One of the more amusing comments I heard from the manager at Bier Stein (Dave) pertained to the beer's drinkability. He noted that you really couldn't tell this was a 17% abv. beer, that it really drank like a beer with only 12% abv. I suppose that's true, but 12% or 17%, this is a sizeable BW with some serious alcohol to it.

John_M, Apr 07, 2014
4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Received with a tiny bit of head. The head is a creamy light beige with hints of tan and light burnt umber while the body is a deep chestnut brown that shows hints of beige and khaki in the light.

Nose- This is absolutely delicious. This hits all the notes you want a barleywine to hit and I'm surprised that this is described as an American barleywine because it doesn't smell like one. Huge notes of toffee, caramel, coconut, and vanilla. Light notes of chocolate and cocoa. Even minor butterscotch. I really enjoy smelling this beer so much that it's almost a shame to drink it.

Taste- Dominated by leather on the front and this leather continues to permeate through the flavor profile. Some tobacco. The intense malt notes of the aroma sit in the middle and while they are all there they don't seem to have the presence that they had on the aroma. Definite vanilla, toffee, and caramel. Slight butterscotch- minimal notes of chocolate and cocoa. The hops that seem to characterize this as an American barleywine come through stronger than they did on the noes. Slight woodiness with citrus notes that build to candied fruits on the finish. This is definitely a great beer but I think that I prefer Abacus. It's been sometime since I've had Abacus so I'm comparing from memory. I could compare side by side but the 5.50 for a 4 oz pour is too much in my opinion. This does hide the alcohol quite well but it is there. It seems more like a 12% than a 17%. Slight burnt caramel that tends toward popcorn. Definitely the best American barleywine out there and without a doubt, a great beer. I think the slight hop presence mars what could be a brilliant beer but that's mostly my preference for English barleywines.

Mouthfeel- Between medium bodied and heavy bodied with some carbonation and tons of syrup to the texture. This makes it seem thicker than it is.

Drinkability- This is a very dangerous beer. There is an alcohol presence but not 17%. I don't know if I would spend 30 on a bottle for myself but if I did, it would go down too quick. Great deal as a part of the Upper Lip flight.

Overall- Definitely a great beer but I don't think I can rank it as high as most have. This is partially a result of style but I do truly think that it isn't as good as Abacus. A must try, especially if you can get a small pour.

artoolemomo, Apr 06, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4oz pour from a bottle

A: Dark brown with a good amount of carbonation and a thin tan head

S: Heaven. Such deep and rich notes of caramel, oak, vanilla, molasses and maple.

T: A very small sip is all you need for an absolutely explosion of flavor. Rich caramel, molasses, oak and lots of maple syrup. The alcohol is ridiculously well hidden, and although you don't taste the burn of it, you do get a very pleasant mouth numbing sensation from this beer. It really takes over every part of your mouth.

M: So thick and luxurious, but the carbonation is still very present which makes the mouthfeel on this beer amazing and special.

O: When I walked out the door to go to the bar and try this beer, I had a feeling that this might unseat my previously favorite beer or at least match it. Most of the time, those types of feelings are inaccurate, but in this case it was dead on. This beer meets the hype. Holy shit. Its amazing!

anteater, Apr 03, 2014

ellswrth, Apr 01, 2014

chippo33, Mar 28, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +3%

Wow, only one full review of the amazing beer since October? A month ago I saw a whole pallet of it, wrapped in plastic and ready to be shipped south, in the Anchorage Brewing Company's facility. And some other pallets had already moved in that direction. I couldn't find a bottle of it for sale in Anchorage, though I had only missed the release by having been a week late getting home and not arranging for a proxy buyer.

The narrative of the scoring review is from notes in a dimly lit bar. Humpy's. While having a conversation with a friendly feller whose name I don't remember and who dropped $10 for an 8oz pour of this 2013 DWTD after I told him what I was drinking, and offered him a sip. ..

Continue reading after the scoring sections for a good story that beer geeks should enjoy….

In low light it is unclear whether or not it is murky. In retrospect, i doubt it. It appears to be mahogany in color and has little head or visible activity. Still, it's quite attractive.

I first notice plentiful boozy esters, but the often associated boozy heat is minimal. Earlier I find the aroma vaguely fruity, citrus and with the caramel elusive but detectable. Later the caramel becomes more prominent and cherry fruitiness emerges too.

It tastes surprisingly hoppy up front, thru the middle and even into the finish. That hoppiness includes some citrusy hop flavor as well as some mild bitterness. Other elements include cherry/fruity tartness, and the rich caramel sweetness that balances perfectly.

Perfect carbonation, high viscosity, rich and with a full body. Wicked smooth.

This is an extraordinary beer from an extraordinary brewer.

So I’m on my way home to Alaska. My buddy in Iowa has some of this beer he made over a year ago that is pretty flipping good. Though he has never had M, he modeled it after M based on things he had read. It kinda reminds me of Hebrew Jubilation 16. It weighed in at around 14.5%. So he put some in a bottle for me, with the plan that I would go see Gabe at Anchorage Brewing, share the homebrew with him, and maybe get some feedback and tips on the brew. That all came to pass. Gabe liked it, said “I dig it.” Then came the feedback. The oak and bourbon were a little overdone. Then the advice. Next time oak/bourbon part of the batch and not the other part. Then blend it together. Even play with different proportions in a glass before blending the whole batch, and use that experience to guide future decisions. It’s pretty cool that Gabe took the time to do this, and show me around. Again. He’d gotten a whole bunch more huge oak fermenters since the last time I was in there. He showed me the last pallet of DWTD that was about to be shipped to the states. I mentioned that I missed the release and had a nice vertical of Bourbon County with me (08, 09, 10, 12) that I’d be willing to trade if he knew anyone that had any. He found me a bottle and we commenced the deal. Then he told me that last years was on tap at Humpy’s and he’d had a glass with his lunch. I made a bee line over there to try it. The bottle I traded for will go back to Iowa and be shared with my friend who sent the homebrew attempt at M. Good story? … And the good news is that he is making exponentially more DWTD next year. I forget how much, but orders of magnitude more. He had to rent another building to hold all the barrels.

sprucetip, Mar 25, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Eighty, Mar 20, 2014

strongaf, Mar 20, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle pouring at Belmont Station

Two 5 oz pours

Smell is of dark liquor, dark furits, figs, bourbon, cognac, maple syrup, carmel, and just thickness

had a slight head that goes away fairly quick. off white

mouthfeel is thick and slightly carbonated. coats the mouth and throat for a few minutes after swallowing..

taste/overall - this is a new standard for barley wines and barrel aged beer in general for me. over 17% and I feel I could drink it for hours (unless my liver quit working). so smooth and luxurious with a depth of flavors that is remarkable. Had not even heard of this beer 3 days ago and heard about this tasting. after reading about it I knew I had to try it and I am very glad I did. sounds like this stuff never comes around. higher alcohol and even better balanced that Sucaba which is damn impressive. they balanced the booze and the cognac barrel flavor so well with this beer and in the end all you taste is a cornocopia of flavors from dates, carmel, figs, bourbon/cognac, maple syrup, etc.. I really hope they put more of these out for sale some day as I will not forget this beer.

As a side note: the only bummer was the extreme price gauging done by Belmont Station with this tasting. I know this beer is expensive, but $10 for a 4-5oz pour??? that sucked, but oh well.

derftron, Mar 19, 2014