Follow our progress ...

AnadromousAnadromous

Anchorage Brewing Company
Alaska, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

Brewed with Summit Hops. Aged in French Oak Pinot Noir barrels with Brett, Pedio and Lacto. Triple Fermented.

Added by DucksFan16 on 06-02-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 258
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Gusher! A quarter of the bottle ended up on my brothers table. The beer pours black like an imperial stout with a lighter body. Light khaki head. The aroma isn't too strong - light roast notes with a mild lactic note. The taste is lightly sour, mild roast , ash, rubber and a strong astringency on the back end. There are some barrel notes but most of the nuance is overwhelmed by the strong astringency and rubber. Borderline offensive. Maybe I got a bad bottle. I hope so. Not good.

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The latest release from Anchorage Brewing Company, Anadromous - Black Sour Ale with Brett, Pedio, and Lacto.

Poured from a bottle into my Tulip glass. Very dark with a one-half inch light brown head that dissipates rather quickly. This beer almost looks as dark as an imperial stout.

The smell is slightly sour, with an aroma of dark cherries. Not nearly as funky as I was expecting, especially since this beer has brett, pedio, and lacto, but it surprises in a good way.

Taste is very complex. Fruity and sweet, with the dark malts playing nicely in the background. With a beer this dark, I was expecting more of a roasted malty flavor, but I think that the lack of that makes this beer taste much better and you are able to appreciate the different flavor profiles from the aging in French oak pinot noir barrels. I am really enjoying this one.

Medium mouthfeel, very smooth, and relatively low carbonation.

I continue to be extremely impressed by Gabe's mastery of barrel-aging. The label on this bottle states that over 40 different pinot noir oak barrels of sour beer were blended to capture the unique contribution of each. I would have to agree that the barrel-aging on this one is fantastic. Absolutely worth seeking out.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last