Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Honey Saison | Almanac Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by RblWthACoz on 08-26-2012

Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 170
Reviews by kojevergas:
2.83/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Brewed with ginger root, Saaz hops, Mount Hood hops, Bay Area honey from Marshall farms, wheat, French oak, and two-row barley. I imagine they used oak chips? 4.8% ABV confirmed. I like the label; stylish burnt orange etching on brown glass. 12 fl oz bottle with branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired as part of a four pack.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

I've had a fair amount of Fantome, Hennepin, and Avec Les Bon Voeux, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what a good beer in the style is. This style's been really growing on me lately.

A: Pours a 1.5-2 finger beige colour head of fair cream, decent thickness, and average (~2 minute) retention - though the ABV is fairly low. Body colour is a clear lemon yellow of limited vibrance. Translucent. Littered with carbonation bubbles - seemingly too many. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. It isn't much to look at, to be honest. It's also quite bright for the style; I'm asserting that's the honey.

Sm: Biscuity yeast, light honey (not at all fresh or nectary like I'd expect), light oak, pale malts, floral hop character, and yes, a bit of ginger. The ginger is well balanced, but I want a lot more from the honey. I don't get a barrel character of the oak wood; I think it's safe to say they used chips. Lemon zest. Muddled orange rind. No alcohol is detectable. An average strength aroma. In a quality saison, I expect complex spice and peppery qualities in the aroma but they're absent here.

T: Floral hop character is pleasant but lends it too much bitterness, which clashes with the stale lemon zest and bland murky orange rind. It tastes a bit dirty, not at all fresh or refreshing. Honey? I have trouble finding it. No peppery character at all. I do get ginger, but it intrudes on the balance and feels forced and out of place. There's little cohesion here; it doesn't work holistically. Messy. Some light biscuity yeast notes. Crystal malt. Oak is as underwhelming as can be; they ought to have just saved the ingredient cost and not even bothered. Pale malts form the body, joined by weak thin barley. There's not much positive to say about this.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Thin and weak. Too wet, but I'd stop short of calling it watery. A bit scratchy and chewy. Not seamless and uniting like a good saison would be. Slightly overcarbonated. Not executed to style. It doesn't suit the flavour profile all that well either.

Dr: I'd heard good things about this brewery and was excited to try their beers, but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying this and two other Almanac offerings. This is a subpar saison; standard bland fare for an American brewed example of the style. Low ABV is concealed, but that's insubstantial. It's drinkable, but I don't see this turning any heads anytime soon.

C

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a tall tumbler.

Very bubbly, clear golden honey with a snow white head reducing into a smooth frosting.

Floral and lemony notes on the nose.

Nice complexity. The saaz hops are recognizable and mingle nicely with the honey sweetness. The ginger sneaks in some bright spicy notes.

Nice full body for a saison, still easy enough to have a few. Definitely coats the mouth though.

Saisons are not usually my go to, but I like this one. A nice summer bbq beer with a little more body than a typical "summer" beer.

2.88/5  rDev -17.2%

Nose: ready grains, honey, spice, ginger
Pours gold with a slight haze under a persistent, rocky, 2" bone white moussey head that produces excellent lace.
Palate: fruit, light bready grains, a touch of heat from the ginger, a touch of hop bitterness on the finish for balance, very well put together.
Very creamy, medium high carbonation, medium body

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Honey Saison from Almanac Beer Co.