Honey Saison - Almanac Beer Co.

Honey SaisonHoney Saison

Almanac Beer Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 08-26-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

A - Pours a clear golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head atop. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of sweet grains, honey Belgian yeast, lemon zest, coriander, some floral and citrus hops, and a touch of bread.

T - Starts off with a mix of sweet grains with some lemon zest and a bit of citrus, with some honey. Through the middle, some Belgian yeast comes through with some floral hops, a touch of bitterness, and a bit of pepper. The finish is a mix of sweet bready malts with some lemon zest, Belgian yeasts, and honey.

M - Medium-minus bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, estery, and lightly spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice lighter saison with the honey smoothing it out nicely.

2.76/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance: Clear straw gold body capped by a finger of froth.

Smell: Strangely, the first thing that comes to mind is smoked meat. There's a strong fresh herb presence, honey, floral notes, some spiciness that I wouldn't necessarily identify as ginger if it wasn't printed on the label. The odd meatiness dissipates after a while, and floral honey comes to the forefront. There's a bit of zesty lemon, too.

Taste & mouthfeel: On the palate it becomes clear that the strange meaty note I was picking up on the nose is coming from the addition of French oak. It contributes a spicy, tannic, savory quality that feels out of place in a beer like this. There's a big herbal note, too, with some zesty citrus fruit and ginger behind. The body is light, bordering on thin. Hidden somewhere beneath all the adjuncts, there's a very light bready malt foundation. Honey and ginger come through more near the finish, and they pair nicely. The beer ends on a fairly bitter note, but it doesn't dry the palate as much as I want a saison to.

Overall: Decent but heavy handed with the adjuncts. As far as I'm concerned, most of the top saisons out there are fairly simple recipes that let the yeast contribute most of the flavor. With this beer it feels like the yeast and malt are taking a back seat to everything else.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance - A transparent straw yellow, snow white head, and nice carbonation, had to pour pretty carefully. I noticed the head doesn't disappear too quickly either.

Smell - I can smell the honey, but you have to dig for it. As it gets closer to room temperature it really pops.

Taste - Again, as the beer gets closer to room temperature, the honey is rather huge. Some light grains. Refreshing, I would have loved to have this 2 months ago when it was warmer :)

Mouthfeel - Tingly carbonation makes the honey profile a lot more palatable. Light and delicate, although it does have a fairly soapy quality that I'm not too fond of.

Overall - I love that they released 4-packs, I was hoping for something new. The honey may have been too much to make this a sessionable beer (at 4.8% you'd expect to be able to throw a few back). I think that Almanac uses fruits/herbs/sweeteners very well throughout their offerings, but I feel the honey in a saison lacks the subtlety that fennel in a biere de garde has.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

This is an okay saison, I suppose. The first thing I'd have to ask is where the honey might be. I get basically no aspect of it on the beer. Beyond that, there is a minor soapy tone that I'm glad is not the main characteristic of the beer. The earthy tone that is there, instead of the soap, really doesn't do as much for me as I would like.

The bottom line is that I appreciate the other Almanac releases more than I do this one. Though I will say that the print on this bottle is one of the nicest I have ever seen (even nicer than Stone does).

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Honey Saison from Almanac Beer Co.