1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Haffenreffer Private Stock - Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

good

Private Stock Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Haffenreffer Private Stock Alström Bros
Ratings: 96 | Reviews: 63 | Show All Ratings:
barczar

Kentucky

3.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Spent a good week in the car, so...

Pours a brilliant light golden yellow with a foamy one inch white head that dissipates somewhat quickly with large bubbles.

Corn, grain, and alcohol esters are accompanied by light floral notes. There's a bit of a solvent scent.

Flavor is somewhat sweet, with a grainy astringent character hitting mid palate, finishing slightly bready. The underlying estery alcohol character dominates as it warms.

Body is moderate, with carbonation moderate to a touch high, and a hint of alcohol burn.

Not very experienced in the malt liquor region, but it's better than some I've had. Definitely hot, but at least the esters aren't offputting, and there is some malt backbone.

07-13-2013 00:17:29 | More by barczar
ElCommodoro

4.33/5  rDev +44.8%

This is a really great malt liquor. I'd heard of it and picked some up when I was in Massachusetts. I had no idea it was actually MADE in Mass. at the time. This is definitely one of the best malt liquors I've ever had. It's been sitting in my fridge for months, too, so it may have been ever better fresh. I don't think I like it quite as much as Olde English, but it would definitely be absolutely perfect if I was in the mood for something less sweet than an OE. This has a lot of similarities to it. The unmasked corn flavour and muskiness are both there and it has a very pleasant "old man beer" flavour to it. It's just a little drier than most malt liquors. There's definitely some hops in there providing a little bit of balancing bitterness and while there is sweetness, it is more in the background and not as "in-your-face" as in a lot of malt liquors. If you're looking for something in a 40 oz. bottle, this is an excellent way to go. It's almost too good to be marketed that way. Almost.

02-24-2013 04:00:46 | More by ElCommodoro
at7000

2.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Do they still make this stuff? And perhaps more importantly, do people still drink Haffenreffer???? Okay, I'm going to cheat on this review, and proceed entirely from memory, as the last time I sampled one was in my college days, 28 years ago. I have not had one since. Although in fairness, maybe I am fit to be a proper judge, as I must have consumed dozen upon dozen cases of the stuff. I'm really curious if the modern version, tastes anything like the version from 25 years ago. The drinking age was still 18 years old in those days.
The one poster who stated- "This was the King, the Elite of malt liquors" was right. At that time, we drunk it from green bottles, often a bit skunky tasting, something like Heineken but with an alcohol kick to it. My dorm-mates and I always had cases of this stashed for parties and beer busts. And of course, the parties had predictable results- People passed out and strewn about on the floor, fights breaking out, students running through Boston naked at 5:00am and jumping into the toxic Charles River for a swim, students disappeared for days, etc. Wild stuff. Forget Mezcal con gusano, absinthe, etc... Haffenreffer will take your mind places it does not want to go, places where it should not go. When consumed in mass quantities, it feels more like magic mushroom trip than an alcohol buzz. But getting back to taste- We would freeze these things, and they would slide down easy, smooth for a malt liquor and had a dry finish even. I have not seen it for years in any stores, this might be a regional thing. I will have to hunt some down for old times sake! Remember the little symbol puzzles on the bottom of the cap??? Classic stuff.

07-09-2012 22:48:36 | More by at7000
MasterSki

3.45/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to Reagan1984 for one of the greatest extras in recent memory. 40oz clear bottle, complete with paper bag. Shared at my birthday after pouring some out for my homies who couldn't be there.

A - White foam settles to a thick collar, wisps, and a few tiny specks of lace. Transparent straw body.

S - Corn, grains, and perhaps a touch of steamed vegetable. No obvious alcohol, making this surprisingly clean and inoffensive.

T - The taste is corn sweetness, but it manages to avoid the cloying levels that plague most malt liquors. Mostly devoid of off-flavors and alcohol, but that's to be expected at the lower ABV.

M - Surprisingly smooth medium body, pleasant moderate-to-low carbonation, and no alcohol burn. Actually pretty nice.

D - For a malt liquor that isn't made by a 'craft' brewery this is pretty good - near the pinnacle of the style actually. Some might argue that the 6.9% ABV is cheating and that this should be in the adjunct lager category, but the awesome bottle says otherwise. A must-try for lovers of malt liquor. I think we actually finished nearly all 40oz at the party after the initial splash was poured on the pavement.

06-15-2012 18:18:44 | More by MasterSki
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.6/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 40 oz. green bottle, Haffenreffer Private Stock has a very thick, creamy, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and lots of fairly thick lacing left on the glass. The aroma is a sickly-sweet grain husk smell. Taste is of sweet & sour grain husks, old bread, some hop bitterness, and it's fairly cloying and alcohilic. Mouthfeel is leaning towards medium, and Haffenreffer Private Stock finishes semi-dry, crisp, and rough. Drinkability is not particularly high with this. When I tried this from the can in 2009, when it was still owned by Pabst, it was much better. I rate this iteration 1.5 stars (ordinary).

RJT

06-13-2012 15:44:26 | More by RonaldTheriot
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev +35.5%

Pint can into, what else, a plastic cup. Thanks to the guys at NEBCO for sharing such a rare, tickable beer.

A: Clear bright gold body under an inch of frothy white head. Ok retention, sticky lace. Looks exactly like a Malt Liquor should.

S: Simple silo: corn, grain husk, and light ethanol burn. Simple, straightforward, and to style. My nostrils are tingling but my stomach isn't turning. Success!

T: Nothing but grainy sweetness - lots of corn, some barley, and even a hint of almost-certain-non-existent rye spiciness. Booze is present but restrained. Pleasant - remarkably so for this style.

M: Lively - but not prickly - medium body. Quite creamy and pleasant for what it is.

O: What a nice surprise! An inoffensive Malt Liquor! I didn't think such a thing existed, and perhaps it's only possible due to the rather restrained ABV, but Private Stock is the real deal. I started out with a fairly small pour just to choke it down for the review, and I wound up drinking the entire can. I actually kind of liked it - it definitely has more flavor than any other cheap beer I've tried, and yet its flavors weren't all nasty off notes. Well done Haffenreffer!

Cheers!

03-05-2012 13:12:03 | More by woosterbill
daliandragon

3.48/5  rDev +16.4%

Previously unknown tall boy can of malt liquor for a buck and change? Sure, I'll indulge. Picked up on a whim from St. James beverage.

Pours a bug fluffy head on a pure gold body. Nose is inoffensive cereals and sugar. A little sour note at the finish gives this an old world feel. Overall, relaxed and drinkable. Nice for the price.

07-06-2011 20:13:36 | More by daliandragon
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.65/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 24oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains grain, light malts, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong malt sweetness even for the style. Then bready flavors of grain and adjuncts follow. The hops presence is very mild but brings some balance. The after-taste is kind of sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, considering that this beer is intended to be an inexpensive way to get drunk quickly it’s not that bad, but that’s all there is to any quality in this beer.

04-13-2011 02:41:55 | More by TheManiacalOne
BeerAdvocate

3.6/5  rDev +20.4%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Good ol' Green Death always came across as a respected beer among its peers. Filtered clear-golden color; crack- ling white head only leaves a thin ring of lace. Bit of sweet-cooked corn in the somewhat clean nose--yes, even malt liquors want to be smelt up. Big smoothness with a snap of crispness. Clean and on the sweet side. Some bitterness from the hops and a kiss of alcohol help to balance. Drinkable with a clean finish; a charmer compared to the rougher of its ilk.

01-11-2011 18:31:18 | More by BeerAdvocate
Derranged

3.23/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a 22 ounce mug. No freshness date.

A- Dark gold, thin white head.

S- Sweet grains, floral notes.

T- Sweet grains, sweet malts but watery. The flavor was not that strong. Alcohol is masked very well. Its still drinkable even as it warms in the glass, which says a lot for the style.

M- Medium bodied and highly carbonated.

D- Not bad, but 6.9 abv, be careful.

I tried this out due to the price and decent ratings it got. I have to say for the style it isn't all that bad. It won't be a regular for me but I'll drink it again. This tasted a lot like Tatra.

12-06-2010 03:26:36 | More by Derranged
Reagan1984

1.45/5  rDev -51.5%

In an effort to officially try each style (and review) I picked up this 24oz can while shopping yesterday. Too bad they didn't have the bottles with the picture puzzle under the cap. I liked those. Been forever since I've had one of these. What I find interesting is that the ABV is only 7%. I always imagined "malt liquor to be much higher.

Pours with a 2 finger bright foamy head that immediately settles and fades. The beer is a bright clear gold/brass color with a speck of carbonation. Lacing.... um.. no

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Like boiled vegetables.

Wow, I am really surprised here. The flavor is much worse than I imagined. Sweet, mushy and of cardboard. I am honestly shocked how poor the flavor is. I think they forgot to put any hops into this beer.

A combination of sweet in your mouth with an almost powdery finish.

Good thing I bought this just for the experience. No need to do that again. Man we had no taste in college, did we?....

12-05-2010 23:04:10 | More by Reagan1984
woodychandler

2.48/5  rDev -17.1%

What a fantastic weekend! I have decided to up my numbers to figures divisible by ten before recommitting to The CANQuest (TM) for which I should be committed. My local has a plethora of inexpensive 40s for sale and so I am revisiting some beers that I initially had in a CAN as further penance for my sins.

Dang! I poured a good, rocky two fingers' worth of bone-white head, then I began typing and looked away and by the time I looked back, it was gone! In the interest of equal time, it did leave a good bit of lacing in its wake. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity (I could read my next door neighbor's Sunday comics). Nose was, well, when I initially unscrewed the cap (yeah, you read that correctly), skunky. It may or may not be attributable to the green bottle. Taking a whiff from the glass, it was less pronounced than it had been following the pour and I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Would they really use Saaz hops in a cheap AML? Taste was not skunky at all, but it was sickeningly sweet. Wow! Between yesterday's malty love fest and this, I may yet develop adult-onset diabetes to go with my adult-onset asthma and my early arthritis. Great. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a sugary sweetness laced with a mild hoppiness on the tongue. Phew! Man, I would rather have fusel heat than sticky sweet, but at least, it is mildly palatable. I have had some beers that could not even make that claim. Finish left me thankful that it was cold and that I was not out in the alley, drinking with my neighbors.

12-05-2010 22:10:36 | More by woodychandler
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.55/5  rDev +18.7%

16oz tallboy into Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Wow! Big fluffy head on this one. Fizzes down in a minute or two. Golden body.

S- Cooked veggies, sweet malts, grassy notes.

T- Sweet malts are most dominant but I use 'dominant' loosely. Nothing really stands out. Well, the carbonation. Sweetness in the finish is rather nice, actually.

M- Highly carbonated, best served cold.

D- Fairly high. I enjoy this malt liquor, and think it's better from the can.

09-29-2010 01:41:11 | More by ShogoKawada
womencantsail

3.38/5  rDev +13%

Thanks to Phil for hooking it up with this 4-0.

A: The pour is a clear yellow color with a fluffy white head with surprisingly good retention.

S: Sweet corn and grains on the nose are the bulk of the aroma, which is fairly light. Maybe a bit of a straw note, too.

T: A nice sweetness to the beer that does not really have any inherent flaws or off-flavors (somewhat of a rarity for malt liquor). Certainly heavy on the adjuncts, but not like eating corn on the cob or anything.

M: The body is light with a very lively carbonation.

D: Probably one of the better malt liquors and certainly deserving of the Private Stock emblazoned on the label.

09-07-2010 17:50:24 | More by womencantsail
drabmuh

Maryland

3.13/5  rDev +4.7%

New tradition starting tonight, 40 ounce Thursdays. For the following several months, every Thursday possible, I will review beers served in 40 ounce bottles or beers that are on the "Bottom of the Barrel List"...tonight I'm starting with a shining star of the Malt liquor world...in a distant THIRD PLACE HAFFENREFFER! by Pabst. Beer poured from the 40 into a half liter glass.

Beer is yellow and clear and heavily carbonated. Forms a pretty thick head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Neat. The carbonation is really big bubbles that rise quickly through the beer. Makes the beer appear pretty thin, which I suppose is accurate. Looks fine.

You won't believe me but it kind of smells like a bar of soap. Shit, I have to drink this whole thing? Damn it.

It tastes like nothing at first, then really sweet, then like boiled corn. D'oh! Beer is thin and there is surprisingly little carbonation on the palate. There is no real bitterness but there is an aftertaste that grows. It gets better the more I drink but its not going to get to "good" anytime soon. As far as malt liquor is concerned....eh, I guess I'll develop a palate for them over the coming months.

I drank the whole thing, this beer eventually started to dry my mouth out.

08-13-2010 01:36:03 | More by drabmuh
DrJay

3.38/5  rDev +13%

24oz can. Clear, bright gold with a thin collar of white bubbles and a bit of slightly sticky lace. It doesn't smell like much at all, maybe a bit of sweetness and cereal - that's about it. Bitterness was almost non-existent. Quite sweet, slight cereal and grain flavours. Clean overall with just a hint of fruitiness in the finish. Not too much alcohol flavour or warmth either. Medium bodied with coarse carbonation that thankfully was fairly low and mellowed after about 15 minutes. Overall, not bad. It's clean and about as inoffensive as you're going to get from this style.

07-31-2010 21:40:35 | More by DrJay
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From the 40 ouncer! Sampled on June 5, 2010. It pours pale yellow with a two inch very fluffy white head that takes forever to settle. I was not drinking it ice cold. The aroma is slightly malty with some adjunct ingredients like grain, corn, and rice notes but overall it is not very enticing. The taste is a bit better with a kind of smooth balance of malts and some distant hop notes. But mainly the taste is comprised of malts and adjuncts. Still, it does not have that skunkiness often associated with green bottles. As a young man this was one of my regular "get drunk" beers. Now at age 50, I drink it more for the memories not the flavor.

06-05-2010 21:22:04 | More by puboflyons
Wetpaperbag

Washington

2.98/5  rDev -0.3%

You know 40oz should be a serving type. I'm also guessing that this one was sitting in the sun for a while. I'm looking forward to malt liquor...with the import taste. Thanks to IBUnit63 for sending this one as my losings in the LNBA 09 FF.

A- Super clear straw colored beer with a good head to it. Seems pretty standard so far.

S- A good deal of grain straw comes though with this astringent alcohol smell mixed in. There is something that is kinda fruity in smell most likely as a result of the lager yeast.

T- There isn't much of a taste here. I am getting a great deal of a metallic taste though. Other then that this is pretty tasteless. I would equate this to carbonated water mixed with a weak barley tea.

M- Fizzy with a good deal of carbination.

D- Well water is pretty drinkable, and so is soda water, so yeah this has drinkability.

02-14-2010 04:10:14 | More by Wetpaperbag
mtnbikerpa

3.8/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured this from a 12 ounce can into a glass. Bright golden color. Sweet boozy smell. The alcohol is very apparent and very relaxing. The mouthfeel is smooth and very drinkable. Probably one of the best malt liquors I have drank. A great find indeed.

12-31-2009 10:15:41 | More by mtnbikerpa
jantonius

2.6/5  rDev -13%

A: Darker Golden Color

S: Very Alcohol Forward

T: Slightly Sweet and Strong with Alcohol

M: Very Bubbly, almost stings

D: A little on the heavy / strong side.

I rate this my #3 Malt Liquor - Used to drink in high school in Philly. Before I moved on and traded up to Crazy Horse and Eventually Mickey's.

11-26-2009 01:02:48 | More by jantonius
tone77

3.2/5  rDev +7%

From a 16 oz. can. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malt and corn. Taste is crisp and malty with some hints of corn. Feels light bodied in the mouth. Drinkability is pretty good, and packs a bit of a punch. Overall this is a beer is not bad as far as malt liquors go.

08-06-2009 00:27:57 | More by tone77
RedChrome

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev +13%

Crystal clear bright light golden color. Inch of fast rising pure white foam took about four minutes to dissipate. Single steam of tiny carbonation bubbles. Sticky web lattice.

Sweet grains hit the nose with decent strength. Faint buttery scent. Hop bitterness and a faint ethyl presence are hard to detect against the grains.

Sweetness caries over to the taste. Buttered corn taste dominate. Just the slightest note of alcohol with a bitter hops burst.

Decent on the tongue. Carbonation is very calm on the tongue. flavors fade fast.

A solid choice. Would work to wash down hot dogs and onion rings. Not a choice against other styles but in style it is a good choice. Great for a cheap night with one 40.

08-04-2009 08:22:04 | More by RedChrome
botham

3.3/5  rDev +10.4%

pint bottle poured into a pilsner glass. pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a half finger of loose white head that has poor retention after a hard pour. just as would be expected in appearance.

aroma is of lightly bready malt and a light floral note, albeit a bit stale. not much else from the nose, with an overall character that is promising.

taste is more of the same with a mild alcoholic tinge and a profile that is much less pronounced than the aroma. on the palate, the brew is almost nonexistant, with only a touch of pale malts and a distant note of bready yeast in the background. quite odd on the palate considering the aroma is pleasant.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with quite possibly a finish that is crisper than any other brew this BA had experienced. there is literally no evidence of the liquid on the palate after swallowing. very intriguing.

drinkability is decent. as far as straw colored effervescent brews go, this one falls apart on the palate, and has an ultra-crisp finish. that being said, the profile is semi-fresh and without the staleness that tends to plague pale lagers.

07-20-2009 01:08:24 | More by botham
cheapxceptbeer

This is malt liquor, when I remember drinking this "style," it was Olde English, and it burned like hell, but hey I was at summer camp and I was 14 so what did I know. Anyways if you are strapped for cash and you want a buzz this is the way to go. 3 bucks for 40 oz of a 7 percent beer that doesn't taste like battery acid, it is reassuring to know that this is an option. As far as taste goes, it is a less creamy Narragansett, just tastes like cheerios (cereal grains go figure) but when you think of the other beers in this category it is top notch, for the strength and lack of craft one of the more drinkable brews.

03-26-2009 01:46:50 | More by cheapxceptbeer
DarkerTheBetter

4.08/5  rDev +36.5%

I'm going to try to keep this review real...

This beer appears... green, that takes on a slight hue when held to the light. Peering into the forty, there's a thin and even head of small bubbles.

With my nose to the bottle, it smells actually quite nice with faint sour grains and a touch of clay backed by a subtle but distinct hop edge.

My first chug triggered bad forty karma, but after a few I was surprised at how smooth and gentle this was on my stomach. Tastes like your average macro (a bit like coors) but there's a clear grainy flavor that takes over in the finish that reminds me of old feed corn. There's a sharp nip of hop from beginning to end that is mostly just dry, but it has a certain floral edge. The aftertaste makes me think I've been eating creamed corn and walnuts. I may have to re-view my DFH review, but this may be the best malt liquor I've had. We'll have to see how the last 20 ounces go...

Feels surprisingly clean. There's a little gritty viscosity here, but it dissipates quickly with a soft foam of carbonation. This leaves a slight film in my mouth, however.

Hardly an "ugly," imo, but a great experience nonetheless.

01-30-2009 03:38:55 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.