Haffenreffer Private Stock - Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

good

Private Stock Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
Reviews by jantonius:
2.6/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Darker Golden Color

S: Very Alcohol Forward

T: Slightly Sweet and Strong with Alcohol

M: Very Bubbly, almost stings

D: A little on the heavy / strong side.

I rate this my #3 Malt Liquor - Used to drink in high school in Philly. Before I moved on and traded up to Crazy Horse and Eventually Mickey's.

jantonius, Nov 26, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +22%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Good ol' Green Death always came across as a respected beer among its peers. Filtered clear-golden color; crack- ling white head only leaves a thin ring of lace. Bit of sweet-cooked corn in the somewhat clean nose--yes, even malt liquors want to be smelt up. Big smoothness with a snap of crispness. Clean and on the sweet side. Some bitterness from the hops and a kiss of alcohol help to balance. Drinkable with a clean finish; a charmer compared to the rougher of its ilk.

BeerAdvocate, Jan 11, 2011

SuomiHobbit, Jul 28, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -3.4%

This is the first 40oz I've had in years. A friend bought it for me at a 7-11 as a joke.

I remember malt liquor as being similar in taste to the water flowing in your average city street's gutter. Suprisingly, this one really isnt that bad. The worst aspect of Haffenreffer Private Stock is the sickly pale yellow color. Not very inviting. A fairly decent-size head built up on this one (which quickly died away to nothing).

Smell is faintly of malt, with watered-down rubbing alcohol mixed in.

I suppose the taste is the strongest aspect. It is not nausea-inducing like other 40s I have had. It is made by PBR, and pretty much tastes like PBR as well. Maybe a bit stronger in the alcohol. Pleasantly ignorable as it slides down your throat and infects your bloodstream.

Mouthfeel is similar to PBR, or any other pale macro pilsner. A mildly repulsive aftertaste. Maybe this bottle is skunked.

Drinkability? Well, how many 40oz bottles can you drink in 1 sitting? Probably not more than 2, unless you are masochistic/suicidal/hate yourself/hate those around you/etc.

chOAKbarrell, Nov 08, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +28.8%

Presentation: One pint (16oz) custom, fat, green, twist-off bottle. The one thing that sticks with me about this beer is the bottle cap. The inside has those cool picture puzzles where you try to make a word or saying. Mine has "rush" + a hen + a dress + a sink = Russian Dressing. Hehehe ... how lame is that? Serving instructions suggest that I serve it "well cooled in a tall glass or on the rocks." It also states that it's the "Malt Liquor ... with the imported taste." Classy stuff.

Appearance: Crystal clear gold with the thinnest of white laces. Dissipates to no lace eventually.

Smell: Clean smelling. Light grain and steely aromas.

Taste: Full bodied. Smooth. Malt flavour is steady, light. Mild sweetness. Soft herbal hop flavours. Bitterness is lemony with a brief sharpness. Finishes a bit dry with grain notes and residual sweetness. You can't really taste the alcohol, but you can feel it on your brain. Eating it.

Notes: This is it. This is why I was born, to drink Haffenreffer all day long until I become comatose. In my opinion, the best malt liquor on the market. Be careful of this beer. It's instant crazy juice. 6.87% alcohol by volume.

Todd, Nov 19, 2000

Doomcifer, Aug 01, 2014
3.53/5  rDev +19.7%

A well rounded malt liquor with not many flaws at all, minimal head and thin malt with cereal grain flavours and aromas. Sad they stopped doing the fat quart bottles, now all I see are 22 oz, 40 oz. and pints ... though the pints come in six packs.

Jason, Jul 27, 2002
3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

16 fl. oz. bottle. Haffenreffer Private Stock Malt Liquor...with the imported taste. The label advises to store this product in a cool place.

This is my 50th review. I was going to give the honor to one of the Best of BA brews in my beer fridge but decided to go with the Haff (I always thoght it was Heff?) because this was my first BA experience, from a certain point of view.

I started drinking beer when I was 17 and early on I knew I didn't like Bud or Coors. I wasn't drinking Belgian's or anything, I hadn't even found Guinness at that point, but I did find Haffenreffer and there was something about it I liked better than Bud. So for reasons of a sentimental nature I make Haffenreffer my 50th review.

Pours a crisp golden color, looks like ginger ale. Smells sweet, malty and of alcohol. Very little head to speak of. What little there was disappeared almost as quickly as my youth.

Not a lot of taste, but there is sweetness and malt. Smooth mouthfeel, leaves some lingering bitterness at the end. Easy to drink. Don't forget to check under the cap for the puzzle. Mine was 7 and the spade symbol.

I have no memory of how this tasted 8 years ago when I first tried it or if there has been much change. Can't think of an occasion I'd go out and buy this now but it sure did bring back memories.

fdrich29, Sep 14, 2004

KolbMarley, Aug 07, 2013

Mantooth, Sep 21, 2013

brokentee, Dec 10, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +10.2%

From a fat, green, quart bottle - but without a funny saying under the screw-top cap! I guess I'm screwed!

A crystal clear-golden body is topped by an inch or more of bright-white foam that holds exceptionally well and actually leaves thin sheets of lace about the glass. They eventually erode into nothingness but form anew an inch or so above the level of the beer as it drops. Thousands of very fine bubbles race towards the surface, adding to the appearance and helping to maintain its solid head. Quite a nice appearance - especially for a malt liquor! The nose is clean and expresses a mild fruitiness over a lightly grainy malt and some grassy/floral hops. The body is solidly medium; and its crisp in the mouth. The flavor delivers the slightly grainy/adjunct laden malt that's common for the style, but it's not as sweet as many examples. There's a low-level bitterness that helps to dry it out; and even some very mild hop flavor. It finishes crisp and dry with a minimal note of residual semi-sweet malt. The alcohol is very well hidden and doesn't appear until close to the end of a 32 oz. bottle. An impressive malt liquor!

NeroFiddled, Aug 09, 2003
1.88/5  rDev -36.3%

They used to brew this over in Jamaica Plain in Boston. And we used to call it "The Green Death". Two is all it took. I went down memory lane the other day to try to recapture my early youth. As I twisted off the puzzle cap, and that familiar industrial smell filled my nostrils, I summoned up the courage to take a sip. This beverage is not for pouring into a glass. Just a paper sack around it, and your good to go. It still tasted the same, foul, overprocessed, etc. I thought I was tasting my fillings, but alas, it was Private Stock. I offered the remains to man collecting cans, who more appreciated it's fine qualities.

bewareOFpenguin, Sep 27, 2002

gilbert, Mar 11, 2012
3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

From a 16 oz. can. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malt and corn. Taste is crisp and malty with some hints of corn. Feels light bodied in the mouth. Drinkability is pretty good, and packs a bit of a punch. Overall this is a beer is not bad as far as malt liquors go.

tone77, Aug 06, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From the 40 ouncer! Sampled on June 5, 2010. It pours pale yellow with a two inch very fluffy white head that takes forever to settle. I was not drinking it ice cold. The aroma is slightly malty with some adjunct ingredients like grain, corn, and rice notes but overall it is not very enticing. The taste is a bit better with a kind of smooth balance of malts and some distant hop notes. But mainly the taste is comprised of malts and adjuncts. Still, it does not have that skunkiness often associated with green bottles. As a young man this was one of my regular "get drunk" beers. Now at age 50, I drink it more for the memories not the flavor.

puboflyons, Jun 05, 2010

Atomicskis5, Aug 25, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 40 oz. green bottle, Haffenreffer Private Stock has a very thick, creamy, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and lots of fairly thick lacing left on the glass. The aroma is a sickly-sweet grain husk smell. Taste is of sweet & sour grain husks, old bread, some hop bitterness, and it's fairly cloying and alcohilic. Mouthfeel is leaning towards medium, and Haffenreffer Private Stock finishes semi-dry, crisp, and rough. Drinkability is not particularly high with this. When I tried this from the can in 2009, when it was still owned by Pabst, it was much better. I rate this iteration 1.5 stars (ordinary).

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jun 13, 2012
2.95/5  rDev 0%

Do they still make this stuff? And perhaps more importantly, do people still drink Haffenreffer???? Okay, I'm going to cheat on this review, and proceed entirely from memory, as the last time I sampled one was in my college days, 28 years ago. I have not had one since. Although in fairness, maybe I am fit to be a proper judge, as I must have consumed dozen upon dozen cases of the stuff. I'm really curious if the modern version, tastes anything like the version from 25 years ago. The drinking age was still 18 years old in those days.
The one poster who stated- "This was the King, the Elite of malt liquors" was right. At that time, we drunk it from green bottles, often a bit skunky tasting, something like Heineken but with an alcohol kick to it. My dorm-mates and I always had cases of this stashed for parties and beer busts. And of course, the parties had predictable results- People passed out and strewn about on the floor, fights breaking out, students running through Boston naked at 5:00am and jumping into the toxic Charles River for a swim, students disappeared for days, etc. Wild stuff. Forget Mezcal con gusano, absinthe, etc... Haffenreffer will take your mind places it does not want to go, places where it should not go. When consumed in mass quantities, it feels more like magic mushroom trip than an alcohol buzz. But getting back to taste- We would freeze these things, and they would slide down easy, smooth for a malt liquor and had a dry finish even. I have not seen it for years in any stores, this might be a regional thing. I will have to hunt some down for old times sake! Remember the little symbol puzzles on the bottom of the cap??? Classic stuff.

at7000, Jul 09, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite 40 oz. Nothing better then a 40 of Private Stock when your sole intention is to get fucked up. Drink it quick though cuz you dont want it to get warm! but dont drink it too quick cuz it'll knock you on your ass!

"smokin weed and Bambu, sippin' on Private Stock."

dmk139, Sep 22, 2008

Bill69, Sep 27, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +26.4%

Medium golden color with a small snow-white head, moderate carbonation, lots of broken lace. Aroma is grainy and fairly sweet, quite pleasant overall. Taste begins with smooth malts, and a sting of carbonation, citrus hop bitterness in the middle of the taste, towards the finish sweet and warming alcohol notes appear. Smooth mouthfeel and very easy to drink, quite pleasing in every way. At $1.89 for a forty ounce bottle, this is a dead on bargain.

Pegasus, Dec 14, 2002
3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

btheluvdoctor, Oct 27, 2014
3.65/5  rDev +23.7%

The presentation was a unique large one pint / Half quart can. Served in my pint glass. This beer pours *very* clear! 2 Finger soapy looking tight fizzy white head. Extremely carbonated. Lots of tiny bubbles are rapidly fighting their way to the surface. This beer looks like a malt liquor. (I know that carries a certain stigma but try to consider this in its genre). The smell is nearly non-existent. I poured this very cold and got no aroma. As it warmed I got a bit more sugar maltiness. Eventually it seemed like sugar alcohol. Honestly, I haven’t had any malt liquor since I started paying attention to the beer I drink. 'Back in the day' it worked for a get drunk beer but in recent years I had not revisited this type of beer. Now that I care what the beers attributes are, I was expecting to not like this beer. Surprisingly that was not the case. It is, what it is, a malt liquor; but it is a decent one. It's a very sugary malty beer. I like the fact that it is not *at all* bitter. No bad aftertaste. The only aftertaste is (again) sugary. The taste is not complex or interesting. If you are looking for a fantastic unique craft beer you should know better than to pick this malt liquor. However, if you are looking for an easy drinking, smooth, refreshing "let's get drunk this afternoon" good malt liquor, this is a decent choice.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 02, 2006

RogueTRex, Mar 15, 2012
Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.