Haffenreffer Private Stock - Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

Private Stock Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Haffenreffer Private Stock Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +41%

This is a really great malt liquor. I'd heard of it and picked some up when I was in Massachusetts. I had no idea it was actually MADE in Mass. at the time. This is definitely one of the best malt liquors I've ever had. It's been sitting in my fridge for months, too, so it may have been ever better fresh. I don't think I like it quite as much as Olde English, but it would definitely be absolutely perfect if I was in the mood for something less sweet than an OE. This has a lot of similarities to it. The unmasked corn flavour and muskiness are both there and it has a very pleasant "old man beer" flavour to it. It's just a little drier than most malt liquors. There's definitely some hops in there providing a little bit of balancing bitterness and while there is sweetness, it is more in the background and not as "in-your-face" as in a lot of malt liquors. If you're looking for something in a 40 oz. bottle, this is an excellent way to go. It's almost too good to be marketed that way. Almost.

4.15/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe i found this! we're in Auburn, AL and the only place we found that's open is a little gas station near our hotel so we went in and on our first pass of the coolers we found a six pack of this! i've looked for this beer for 2 years and finally found it!!! Pours orange like watery orangeade and with a nice filmy white head. smells apply and softly of ethanol, mellow. Taste is supurb for the style. Again, apple-like, somewhat sour, tart. some corn flavor, very clean. a pretty feakin tasty and drinkable malt liquor. awesome.

4.06/5  rDev +33.1%

Pint can into, what else, a plastic cup. Thanks to the guys at NEBCO for sharing such a rare, tickable beer.

A: Clear bright gold body under an inch of frothy white head. Ok retention, sticky lace. Looks exactly like a Malt Liquor should.

S: Simple silo: corn, grain husk, and light ethanol burn. Simple, straightforward, and to style. My nostrils are tingling but my stomach isn't turning. Success!

T: Nothing but grainy sweetness - lots of corn, some barley, and even a hint of almost-certain-non-existent rye spiciness. Booze is present but restrained. Pleasant - remarkably so for this style.

M: Lively - but not prickly - medium body. Quite creamy and pleasant for what it is.

O: What a nice surprise! An inoffensive Malt Liquor! I didn't think such a thing existed, and perhaps it's only possible due to the rather restrained ABV, but Private Stock is the real deal. I started out with a fairly small pour just to choke it down for the review, and I wound up drinking the entire can. I actually kind of liked it - it definitely has more flavor than any other cheap beer I've tried, and yet its flavors weren't all nasty off notes. Well done Haffenreffer!

4.02/5  rDev +31.8%

I'm going to try to keep this review real...

This beer appears... green, that takes on a slight hue when held to the light. Peering into the forty, there's a thin and even head of small bubbles.

With my nose to the bottle, it smells actually quite nice with faint sour grains and a touch of clay backed by a subtle but distinct hop edge.

My first chug triggered bad forty karma, but after a few I was surprised at how smooth and gentle this was on my stomach. Tastes like your average macro (a bit like coors) but there's a clear grainy flavor that takes over in the finish that reminds me of old feed corn. There's a sharp nip of hop from beginning to end that is mostly just dry, but it has a certain floral edge. The aftertaste makes me think I've been eating creamed corn and walnuts. I may have to re-view my DFH review, but this may be the best malt liquor I've had. We'll have to see how the last 20 ounces go...

Feels surprisingly clean. There's a little gritty viscosity here, but it dissipates quickly with a soft foam of carbonation. This leaves a slight film in my mouth, however.

Hardly an "ugly," imo, but a great experience nonetheless.

This is malt liquor, when I remember drinking this "style," it was Olde English, and it burned like hell, but hey I was at summer camp and I was 14 so what did I know. Anyways if you are strapped for cash and you want a buzz this is the way to go. 3 bucks for 40 oz of a 7 percent beer that doesn't taste like battery acid, it is reassuring to know that this is an option. As far as taste goes, it is a less creamy Narragansett, just tastes like cheerios (cereal grains go figure) but when you think of the other beers in this category it is top notch, for the strength and lack of craft one of the more drinkable brews.

16oz green bottle from the local Hannaford. Pours a light yellow translucent body with a quarter inch or less of witeish head. Cereal grains dominate the aroma with a touch of butter. Cereal grains dominate the flavor too, with hints of maltiness, citrus hops. Flavor is very good for the style. Very light in body with ample carbonation makes this a drinkable brew. Overall, an extremely solid malt liquor, much better than others in the style.

3.91/5  rDev +28.2%

I was reluctant to buy this when I saw the 32oz for $1.19 and it said it had the imported taste. I laughed to myself and decided to take a gamble. After all, that is what Beer advocacy is about, taking chances and explaining those risks to others. Well, I can honestly say that this was a good risk on my part. This is by far THE best malt liquour I have ever had. It was a nice lighter on the malts kind and had more flavor than just alcohol, like most malt liquours. I really noted the strong taste of creamy butter with some malts. It had a creamy mouthfeel as well, to go with the buttery taste. Will I get this again? Oh yeah!!!

3.76/5  rDev +23.3%

Presentation: One pint (16oz) custom, fat, green, twist-off bottle. The one thing that sticks with me about this beer is the bottle cap. The inside has those cool picture puzzles where you try to make a word or saying. Mine has "rush" + a hen + a dress + a sink = Russian Dressing. Hehehe ... how lame is that? Serving instructions suggest that I serve it "well cooled in a tall glass or on the rocks." It also states that it's the "Malt Liquor ... with the imported taste." Classy stuff.

Appearance: Crystal clear gold with the thinnest of white laces. Dissipates to no lace eventually.

Smell: Clean smelling. Light grain and steely aromas.

Taste: Full bodied. Smooth. Malt flavour is steady, light. Mild sweetness. Soft herbal hop flavours. Bitterness is lemony with a brief sharpness. Finishes a bit dry with grain notes and residual sweetness. You can't really taste the alcohol, but you can feel it on your brain. Eating it.

Notes: This is it. This is why I was born, to drink Haffenreffer all day long until I become comatose. In my opinion, the best malt liquor on the market. Be careful of this beer. It's instant crazy juice. 6.87% alcohol by volume.

3.76/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured this from a 12 ounce can into a glass. Bright golden color. Sweet boozy smell. The alcohol is very apparent and very relaxing. The mouthfeel is smooth and very drinkable. Probably one of the best malt liquors I have drank. A great find indeed.

3.7/5  rDev +21.3%

Who would think it a malt liquor that is ok. The beer was served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer isnt much to look at. The beer pours a clear golden coloration. The head was white and short lived. No lacing behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is sweet grain and nothing else.

Taste: The beer has a pleasing sweet grainy flavor. Abit of bitterness dries out the beer. No off flavors noted. Alcohol is no where in the flavor.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation is appropriate for the beer. This is a surpisingly affordable and drinkable beer.

3.7/5  rDev +21.3%

Wow was I surprised!! I got a 6 pack for 3.99 and was expecting garbage..not so.It has good taste it's smooth and no aftertaste plus an abv of 6.9 what's not to like??I would recommened this beer to anyone and you can be sure I will buying again shortly.

3.68/5  rDev +20.7%

Medium golden color with a small snow-white head, moderate carbonation, lots of broken lace. Aroma is grainy and fairly sweet, quite pleasant overall. Taste begins with smooth malts, and a sting of carbonation, citrus hop bitterness in the middle of the taste, towards the finish sweet and warming alcohol notes appear. Smooth mouthfeel and very easy to drink, quite pleasing in every way. At $1.89 for a forty ounce bottle, this is a dead on bargain.

3.68/5  rDev +20.7%

Yea for malt liquor, from Texas no less! Out of the bottle this beer was a deep golden color with good clarity and lots of rising carbonation. The aroma was sour/stale corn and rice mash. The flavors were dry and grainy with pale malt and a light sweetness in the middle that became a little hoppy at the end. Better depth than expected! The mouthfeel was smooth and oily, the carbonation soft and the body medium. A quaffable malt liquor designed to get you wasted. Not a bad choice if this was your goal...

3.62/5  rDev +18.7%

i purchased a case of this stuff on a whim. I was impressed to say the least. i've had many malt liquours in my time but, this is now my favorite.
this beer pours straw yellow with a very small head that eventually disappears completely. the taste is not overly sweet as most malts are but, crisp and refreshing. This will definately be making its way back into my fridge at $9.99 a case. Damn that's cheap! Malt Liquor....whith the imported taste, a stretch but so drinkable. Trying to not drink too many of these and go to work will be a challenge at 6.9%. will have fun trying though.

3.6/5  rDev +18%

The presentation was a unique large one pint / Half quart can. Served in my pint glass. This beer pours *very* clear! 2 Finger soapy looking tight fizzy white head. Extremely carbonated. Lots of tiny bubbles are rapidly fighting their way to the surface. This beer looks like a malt liquor. (I know that carries a certain stigma but try to consider this in its genre). The smell is nearly non-existent. I poured this very cold and got no aroma. As it warmed I got a bit more sugar maltiness. Eventually it seemed like sugar alcohol. Honestly, I haven’t had any malt liquor since I started paying attention to the beer I drink. 'Back in the day' it worked for a get drunk beer but in recent years I had not revisited this type of beer. Now that I care what the beers attributes are, I was expecting to not like this beer. Surprisingly that was not the case. It is, what it is, a malt liquor; but it is a decent one. It's a very sugary malty beer. I like the fact that it is not *at all* bitter. No bad aftertaste. The only aftertaste is (again) sugary. The taste is not complex or interesting. If you are looking for a fantastic unique craft beer you should know better than to pick this malt liquor. However, if you are looking for an easy drinking, smooth, refreshing "let's get drunk this afternoon" good malt liquor, this is a decent choice.

Hope this is helpful.

3.59/5  rDev +17.7%

"Sippin on Private Stock, way back when I had the red and black Lumberjack, with the hat to match" -- Notorious BIG

Ah, the Private Stock. Infamous. Malt liquor, with the imported taste! Fancy looking label on this here green 40 oz bottle. I have a personal law that 40's need to be swilled straight from the bottle, preferably inside a brown bag. But for reviewing purposes, I poured some of this into a pint glass. Textbook clear golden color with a pillowy white head, that quickly turns to a fine lace. Aroma is grassy and malty. Mouthfeel is actually quite nice, especially in comparison to other malt liquors. Smooth with no harsh metallic or rice aftertaste. Subtle hint of alcohol in the finish, following the somewhat malty middle. As far as 40's of Malt Liquor go, this is the one to get, in my opinion. Even not undrinkable when it warms up a little, though I still wouldnt recommend it. This is the king of the dirty 40 oz.

3.58/5  rDev +17.4%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Good ol' Green Death always came across as a respected beer among its peers. Filtered clear-golden color; crack- ling white head only leaves a thin ring of lace. Bit of sweet-cooked corn in the somewhat clean nose--yes, even malt liquors want to be smelt up. Big smoothness with a snap of crispness. Clean and on the sweet side. Some bitterness from the hops and a kiss of alcohol help to balance. Drinkable with a clean finish; a charmer compared to the rougher of its ilk.

3.52/5  rDev +15.4%

A well rounded malt liquor with not many flaws at all, minimal head and thin malt with cereal grain flavours and aromas. Sad they stopped doing the fat quart bottles, now all I see are 22 oz, 40 oz. and pints ... though the pints come in six packs.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 40. Pours a medium yellow color with a nice head and carbonation. Aroma is mostly malt and grain and a bit of fruitiness. Taste is inoffensive, somewhat sweet and only mildly bitter. A bit more mellow than Colt 45. Goes down smooth and nicely with nothing to make me want to spit it out. You know, of all the 40s I drank a few years ago, I never even tried this one. Not too bad. Cheap and gets the job done. Hey, this isn't Double Bastard you know.

3.48/5  rDev +14.1%

Previously unknown tall boy can of malt liquor for a buck and change? Sure, I'll indulge. Picked up on a whim from St. James beverage.

Pours a bug fluffy head on a pure gold body. Nose is inoffensive cereals and sugar. A little sour note at the finish gives this an old world feel. Overall, relaxed and drinkable. Nice for the price.

3.47/5  rDev +13.8%

16oz tallboy into Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Wow! Big fluffy head on this one. Fizzes down in a minute or two. Golden body.

S- Cooked veggies, sweet malts, grassy notes.

T- Sweet malts are most dominant but I use 'dominant' loosely. Nothing really stands out. Well, the carbonation. Sweetness in the finish is rather nice, actually.

M- Highly carbonated, best served cold.

D- Fairly high. I enjoy this malt liquor, and think it's better from the can.

3.43/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to Reagan1984 for one of the greatest extras in recent memory. 40oz clear bottle, complete with paper bag. Shared at my birthday after pouring some out for my homies who couldn't be there.

A - White foam settles to a thick collar, wisps, and a few tiny specks of lace. Transparent straw body.

S - Corn, grains, and perhaps a touch of steamed vegetable. No obvious alcohol, making this surprisingly clean and inoffensive.

T - The taste is corn sweetness, but it manages to avoid the cloying levels that plague most malt liquors. Mostly devoid of off-flavors and alcohol, but that's to be expected at the lower ABV.

M - Surprisingly smooth medium body, pleasant moderate-to-low carbonation, and no alcohol burn. Actually pretty nice.

D - For a malt liquor that isn't made by a 'craft' brewery this is pretty good - near the pinnacle of the style actually. Some might argue that the 6.9% ABV is cheating and that this should be in the adjunct lager category, but the awesome bottle says otherwise. A must-try for lovers of malt liquor. I think we actually finished nearly all 40oz at the party after the initial splash was poured on the pavement.

3.4/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a six pack of stubby bottles of this stuff a few weeks back at market basket.

A- Looks kind of cool it has an orangish tinge to it.

S- smells good, kind of sweet.

T- Tastes pretty good for malt liquor.

M- I would rate the mouthfeel better if one of the bottles in the six pack wasnt FLAT.

D- This stuff is highly drinkable I recommend it as long as its fresh.

3.36/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to Phil for hooking it up with this 4-0.

A: The pour is a clear yellow color with a fluffy white head with surprisingly good retention.

S: Sweet corn and grains on the nose are the bulk of the aroma, which is fairly light. Maybe a bit of a straw note, too.

T: A nice sweetness to the beer that does not really have any inherent flaws or off-flavors (somewhat of a rarity for malt liquor). Certainly heavy on the adjuncts, but not like eating corn on the cob or anything.

M: The body is light with a very lively carbonation.

D: Probably one of the better malt liquors and certainly deserving of the Private Stock emblazoned on the label.

3.36/5  rDev +10.2%

24oz can. Clear, bright gold with a thin collar of white bubbles and a bit of slightly sticky lace. It doesn't smell like much at all, maybe a bit of sweetness and cereal - that's about it. Bitterness was almost non-existent. Quite sweet, slight cereal and grain flavours. Clean overall with just a hint of fruitiness in the finish. Not too much alcohol flavour or warmth either. Medium bodied with coarse carbonation that thankfully was fairly low and mellowed after about 15 minutes. Overall, not bad. It's clean and about as inoffensive as you're going to get from this style.

Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.