Haffenreffer Private Stock - Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

good

Private Stock Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Haffenreffer Private Stock Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.36/5  rDev +6.7%

Crystal clear bright light golden color. Inch of fast rising pure white foam took about four minutes to dissipate. Single steam of tiny carbonation bubbles. Sticky web lattice.

Sweet grains hit the nose with decent strength. Faint buttery scent. Hop bitterness and a faint ethyl presence are hard to detect against the grains.

Sweetness caries over to the taste. Buttered corn taste dominate. Just the slightest note of alcohol with a bitter hops burst.

Decent on the tongue. Carbonation is very calm on the tongue. flavors fade fast.

A solid choice. Would work to wash down hot dogs and onion rings. Not a choice against other styles but in style it is a good choice. Great for a cheap night with one 40. (710 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +6%

pint bottle poured into a pilsner glass. pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a half finger of loose white head that has poor retention after a hard pour. just as would be expected in appearance.

aroma is of lightly bready malt and a light floral note, albeit a bit stale. not much else from the nose, with an overall character that is promising.

taste is more of the same with a mild alcoholic tinge and a profile that is much less pronounced than the aroma. on the palate, the brew is almost nonexistant, with only a touch of pale malts and a distant note of bready yeast in the background. quite odd on the palate considering the aroma is pleasant.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with quite possibly a finish that is crisper than any other brew this BA had experienced. there is literally no evidence of the liquid on the palate after swallowing. very intriguing.

drinkability is decent. as far as straw colored effervescent brews go, this one falls apart on the palate, and has an ultra-crisp finish. that being said, the profile is semi-fresh and without the staleness that tends to plague pale lagers. (1,114 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +4.1%

From a fat, green, quart bottle - but without a funny saying under the screw-top cap! I guess I'm screwed!

A crystal clear-golden body is topped by an inch or more of bright-white foam that holds exceptionally well and actually leaves thin sheets of lace about the glass. They eventually erode into nothingness but form anew an inch or so above the level of the beer as it drops. Thousands of very fine bubbles race towards the surface, adding to the appearance and helping to maintain its solid head. Quite a nice appearance - especially for a malt liquor! The nose is clean and expresses a mild fruitiness over a lightly grainy malt and some grassy/floral hops. The body is solidly medium; and its crisp in the mouth. The flavor delivers the slightly grainy/adjunct laden malt that's common for the style, but it's not as sweet as many examples. There's a low-level bitterness that helps to dry it out; and even some very mild hop flavor. It finishes crisp and dry with a minimal note of residual semi-sweet malt. The alcohol is very well hidden and doesn't appear until close to the end of a 32 oz. bottle. An impressive malt liquor! (1,140 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Oh man does this take me back! This was our brew of choice in high school for many reasons. 6.9% ABV, fairly cheap and available in 40s. Why were 40s so important? Because the inner city liqour stores didn't care about our IDs, and the 40 has the best oz/dollar ratio.

This tasting is coming from a 6-pack of 16oz bottles, and I just realized I forgot to check if there was a puzzle under the cap like I remember. Poured into a 20oz Tulip pint.

Appearance: More color than the usual macro brews, a nice pale gold.

Smell: Not much, some corn and something like malt. Hey, was that a bit of hops?

Taste: Unoffensive, and that WAS hops I smelt! You can taste them on the finish. Leaves a bit of a corny aftertaste but there is something not too boring going on.

Mouthfeel: Quite nice. A little fizzy, and not watery at all.

Drinkability: For what it is, it is incredibly drinkable. I totally forgot how good this stuff was for a cheap beer. Beware on hot days, count your caps! (980 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Sticky-sweet fugly malt-bomb malt liquor. Clear golden, minimal head, no lacing.

Smells sweet and musty.

Tastes sweet and corny with a hint of floral hops and solvent alcohol.

Smooth and wino-drinkable. Best served in a brown paper bag, in a van, down by the river! (268 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite 40 oz. Nothing better then a 40 of Private Stock when your sole intention is to get fucked up. Drink it quick though cuz you dont want it to get warm! but dont drink it too quick cuz it'll knock you on your ass!

"smokin weed and Bambu, sippin' on Private Stock." (284 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%

To my surprise, this is actually a pretty good American lager. Of course there is that adjunct-laded emptiness where the meat-and-potatoes of the beer should be, but the beer has a medium malt / grain balance with few flaws. The medium straw color gives a foamstand that is both fizzy and replentishing. Efforvescent carbonation gives a light prickle on the mouth. Clear and bright throughout. Aromas of sweetness (corn sugars) help the malts, but also gives the beer an artificial taste and texture. Light on the vegitable, grain, and sulfurs for ease of drinking. Quite clean throughout, but with a persistant residual corn sweetness that detracts from the malts in the end. (676 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +2.2%

From a 16 oz. can. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malt and corn. Taste is crisp and malty with some hints of corn. Feels light bodied in the mouth. Drinkability is pretty good, and packs a bit of a punch. Overall this is a beer is not bad as far as malt liquors go. (294 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From the 40 ouncer! Sampled on June 5, 2010. It pours pale yellow with a two inch very fluffy white head that takes forever to settle. I was not drinking it ice cold. The aroma is slightly malty with some adjunct ingredients like grain, corn, and rice notes but overall it is not very enticing. The taste is a bit better with a kind of smooth balance of malts and some distant hop notes. But mainly the taste is comprised of malts and adjuncts. Still, it does not have that skunkiness often associated with green bottles. As a young man this was one of my regular "get drunk" beers. Now at age 50, I drink it more for the memories not the flavor. (646 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +1.6%

16 fl. oz. bottle. Haffenreffer Private Stock Malt Liquor...with the imported taste. The label advises to store this product in a cool place.

This is my 50th review. I was going to give the honor to one of the Best of BA brews in my beer fridge but decided to go with the Haff (I always thoght it was Heff?) because this was my first BA experience, from a certain point of view.

I started drinking beer when I was 17 and early on I knew I didn't like Bud or Coors. I wasn't drinking Belgian's or anything, I hadn't even found Guinness at that point, but I did find Haffenreffer and there was something about it I liked better than Bud. So for reasons of a sentimental nature I make Haffenreffer my 50th review.

Pours a crisp golden color, looks like ginger ale. Smells sweet, malty and of alcohol. Very little head to speak of. What little there was disappeared almost as quickly as my youth.

Not a lot of taste, but there is sweetness and malt. Smooth mouthfeel, leaves some lingering bitterness at the end. Easy to drink. Don't forget to check under the cap for the puzzle. Mine was 7 and the spade symbol.

I have no memory of how this tasted 8 years ago when I first tried it or if there has been much change. Can't think of an occasion I'd go out and buy this now but it sure did bring back memories. (1,321 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a 22 ounce mug. No freshness date.

A- Dark gold, thin white head.

S- Sweet grains, floral notes.

T- Sweet grains, sweet malts but watery. The flavor was not that strong. Alcohol is masked very well. Its still drinkable even as it warms in the glass, which says a lot for the style.

M- Medium bodied and highly carbonated.

D- Not bad, but 6.9 abv, be careful.

I tried this out due to the price and decent ratings it got. I have to say for the style it isn't all that bad. It won't be a regular for me but I'll drink it again. This tasted a lot like Tatra. (594 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +1.6%

Not sure if they still make it, all the local packys stopped carrying it, but I love a couple of these (40oz) on a Sunday during football season, nice taste, bit skunky, like it (177 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -0.3%

ahh! Private Stock!...Many beer memories as a ute, drinkin this stuff!...well, let's see....
appearance, classic 40 oz. green bottle , label proclaiming to have the "imported taste"!!..pour left no head,clear yellow, that is actually deeper than most of the brews in this vain.
smell was not as repugnant as I thought it might be, actually not too bad,..might even detect a whiff of hops in there! Taste really was not that bad either, no worse than a Bud, or Miller, etc.... slightly sweet, but not sickeningly so, ghost like hops. fairly smooth without an unpleasant aftertaste.
mouthfeel was fairly full, and creamy.
In the final analyses, I'd have to say, better than a lot of cheap stuff, and no worse than the big 3!...I was amusingly surprised!...I thought it'd be GOD AWFUL!....but not so... wish it had the friggin riddle on the cap!...That was half the charm!
edit: Nasty hangover followed!..not recommended. (925 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

After hearing such good reviews about this malt i decided to give it a shot. And after finding a 24-pack of 16 ounce cans for under $12 at my favorite local distributor, i couldnt resist.

The label claims that it is the "malt liquor with the imported taste." I cant agree with this statement more. Upon the first sip i am reminded of a Becks or a Heineken, but shortly thereafter i am hit with a definite reminder of its malt nature. I must say that this is by far the best malt liquor i have ever tried. It is much lighter in the mouth, without the repulsive taste of familiar malts; it is also smoother in the throat, as well as being lighter in the stomach than any other malt liquor i have tried. If you want a cheap, pallatable, 6.87% serving of alchohol you cant go wrong with this selection.

I did not take into consideration the coloration or actual appearance of the liquid since i was trying to keep it ghetto ... enjoying it striaght out of the can. (966 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -2.5%

New tradition starting tonight, 40 ounce Thursdays. For the following several months, every Thursday possible, I will review beers served in 40 ounce bottles or beers that are on the "Bottom of the Barrel List"...tonight I'm starting with a shining star of the Malt liquor world...in a distant THIRD PLACE HAFFENREFFER! by Pabst. Beer poured from the 40 into a half liter glass.

Beer is yellow and clear and heavily carbonated. Forms a pretty thick head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Neat. The carbonation is really big bubbles that rise quickly through the beer. Makes the beer appear pretty thin, which I suppose is accurate. Looks fine.

You won't believe me but it kind of smells like a bar of soap. Shit, I have to drink this whole thing? Damn it.

It tastes like nothing at first, then really sweet, then like boiled corn. D'oh! Beer is thin and there is surprisingly little carbonation on the palate. There is no real bitterness but there is an aftertaste that grows. It gets better the more I drink but its not going to get to "good" anytime soon. As far as malt liquor is concerned....eh, I guess I'll develop a palate for them over the coming months.

I drank the whole thing, this beer eventually started to dry my mouth out. (1,247 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Spent a good week in the car, so...

Pours a brilliant light golden yellow with a foamy one inch white head that dissipates somewhat quickly with large bubbles.

Corn, grain, and alcohol esters are accompanied by light floral notes. There's a bit of a solvent scent.

Flavor is somewhat sweet, with a grainy astringent character hitting mid palate, finishing slightly bready. The underlying estery alcohol character dominates as it warms.

Body is moderate, with carbonation moderate to a touch high, and a hint of alcohol burn.

Not very experienced in the malt liquor region, but it's better than some I've had. Definitely hot, but at least the esters aren't offputting, and there is some malt backbone. (705 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -4.1%

You know 40oz should be a serving type. I'm also guessing that this one was sitting in the sun for a while. I'm looking forward to malt liquor...with the import taste. Thanks to IBUnit63 for sending this one as my losings in the LNBA 09 FF.

A- Super clear straw colored beer with a good head to it. Seems pretty standard so far.

S- A good deal of grain straw comes though with this astringent alcohol smell mixed in. There is something that is kinda fruity in smell most likely as a result of the lager yeast.

T- There isn't much of a taste here. I am getting a great deal of a metallic taste though. Other then that this is pretty tasteless. I would equate this to carbonated water mixed with a weak barley tea.

M- Fizzy with a good deal of carbination.

D- Well water is pretty drinkable, and so is soda water, so yeah this has drinkability. (849 characters)

This was my most beloved beer growing up in RI and we used to call it Green Death because of the colors of cans and bottles. It is a malt liquor so it is strong. I used to get six packs of it in 16 ounce containers for about 2 dollars. (237 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

Do they still make this stuff? And perhaps more importantly, do people still drink Haffenreffer???? Okay, I'm going to cheat on this review, and proceed entirely from memory, as the last time I sampled one was in my college days, 28 years ago. I have not had one since. Although in fairness, maybe I am fit to be a proper judge, as I must have consumed dozen upon dozen cases of the stuff. I'm really curious if the modern version, tastes anything like the version from 25 years ago. The drinking age was still 18 years old in those days.
The one poster who stated- "This was the King, the Elite of malt liquors" was right. At that time, we drunk it from green bottles, often a bit skunky tasting, something like Heineken but with an alcohol kick to it. My dorm-mates and I always had cases of this stashed for parties and beer busts. And of course, the parties had predictable results- People passed out and strewn about on the floor, fights breaking out, students running through Boston naked at 5:00am and jumping into the toxic Charles River for a swim, students disappeared for days, etc. Wild stuff. Forget Mezcal con gusano, absinthe, etc... Haffenreffer will take your mind places it does not want to go, places where it should not go. When consumed in mass quantities, it feels more like magic mushroom trip than an alcohol buzz. But getting back to taste- We would freeze these things, and they would slide down easy, smooth for a malt liquor and had a dry finish even. I have not seen it for years in any stores, this might be a regional thing. I will have to hunt some down for old times sake! Remember the little symbol puzzles on the bottom of the cap??? Classic stuff. (1,684 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

Haffenreffer Private Stock
40 oz green bottle
Served mainly out of the bottle, but also used an 8 oz juice glass for appearance

* Summer 2006 Malt Liquor Review Series: Part I *

Pours a shiny and golden shade of yellow. There was a sudsy head, but it vanished quickly. Tiny carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass.

Whiffs of corn and rice.

First sip provides flavors of a basic cereal mix. Hints of corn and grains. A tad sweet and straightforward at first, but there is a nice mini hop snap on the finish. This is the kind of beer that is definitely better the colder it is and out of the bottle.

At $2.39 for a 40 oz bottle, I think this has to be one of best malt liquors on the market. Not all that bad when price and drinkability level are factored in. (786 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -7.6%

My first real-time review - picked this up for $1.50 at the Class Six, poured chilled into my DFH Shaped pint.

A - A pillowy cloud of white foam tops the straw gold after the audible pssft from the cap. The head measures about 1.5 inches and has a smooth sudsy consistency w/ a tight bead. Endless streams of bubbles rise to greet the white cap.

S - The aroma is sweet w/ a slight hop scent and the aroma of alcohol basically as expected w/ a subtle cereal or corn aroma.

M - Crisp and bubbly at first followed by a softer creamy feel mid swallow and finishes smooth w/ a sweet and gently warming feel.

T - The flavor is fairly gentle w/ of a grainy taste at first w/ more adjunct flavor noticed and corn in the flavor as it warms. There is a nice dry malt on the tongue as the carbonation adds to the creamy light malt flavors, subtle spice that only acts to complement the malts dominant role similar to a Helles bock.

D - I consider this to be a fairly good representation of the style, actually better than most, but still as far as overall drinkability for me is is just alright. (1,089 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -7.9%

16oz. single purchased at a local mart in Union. Pale straw color as you would find with a beer like this, smells skunky. Tastes though not bad, the skunk I smelled is barely in the taste (this was a green bottle) Overall, it is a better than average malt liquor, maybe if it was in a brown bottle it might be even better. (322 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Oh No! "The Green Death"!!! In my youth, this was produced by Narragansett of Rhode Island. Today it's brewed in Indiana, but it sure brings back memories...foggy memories. Pale gold with a medium grainy body and a mildly astringent taste. The medium metallic hops with a trace of grapefruit fruit peel make you scream out for Zantac. Wet bread-like aroma is not altogether unpleasant. There's an odd assortment of watery flavors, but it's drinkable. Halfway through the glass, the alcohol kicks in and is the predominant flavor. The fine and soapy bubbles disappear quickly. It's a pretty inexpensive means to create a buzz...and if you need practice knee-walking... (667 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle Inspection: Green bottle, one pint, twisty, with the only warning: store in a cool place.

Aroma: Pale malt and light wet grain meet the nose, with a subtle hop presence, noble hops? Maybe that gives it the “imported taste”.

Appearance: Clear deep yellow mug with a firm half finger of snowy white head that leaves thick sheets of lace with tidemarks.

Flavor: Wet grain is the main flavor, some mild hop, a slight metallic twang, and very light fruit ester. What I don’t taste is alcohol, which given the style, is a good sign.
As it warms a bit, the flavor goes down hill, with the metallic note growing joined by a bit of cloying sweetness. Serving Suggestion: go cold, in a frosted mug.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fizzy carbonation, dry finish.

Overall Impression: First sip brought a hiccup and a mild head rush. This isn’t bad, but it has a certain “macro” lack of taste. I’d prefer a Mickey’s myself. It needs a little depth.
Still, thanks to Pegasus for the sample, erm, sorry, shout out to my homie Peg for the hookup, yo? (1,059 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -10.5%

This is the first 40oz I've had in years. A friend bought it for me at a 7-11 as a joke.

I remember malt liquor as being similar in taste to the water flowing in your average city street's gutter. Suprisingly, this one really isnt that bad. The worst aspect of Haffenreffer Private Stock is the sickly pale yellow color. Not very inviting. A fairly decent-size head built up on this one (which quickly died away to nothing).

Smell is faintly of malt, with watered-down rubbing alcohol mixed in.

I suppose the taste is the strongest aspect. It is not nausea-inducing like other 40s I have had. It is made by PBR, and pretty much tastes like PBR as well. Maybe a bit stronger in the alcohol. Pleasantly ignorable as it slides down your throat and infects your bloodstream.

Mouthfeel is similar to PBR, or any other pale macro pilsner. A mildly repulsive aftertaste. Maybe this bottle is skunked.

Drinkability? Well, how many 40oz bottles can you drink in 1 sitting? Probably not more than 2, unless you are masochistic/suicidal/hate yourself/hate those around you/etc. (1,082 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.