Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Haffenreffer Private Stock - Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

Private Stock Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Haffenreffer Private Stock Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.67/5  rDev -12.5%

A - A very pale straw yellow color with only a twinge of bubbles around the top of the brew. Very clear save some small particulates. No lacing.

S - Corn, stewed summer squash, rice and the slightest bit of grassy hops. Not the greatest smell in the world, but the abv is well masked.

T - Sweet corn, light malt and a touch of cheap vodka. Aftertaste is lingering sweet corn.

M - Smooth, thin, extremely refreshing.

D - I am thoroughly impressed. For a malt liquor, this is low in grossness and high in drinkability. If I am looking fro forties in the future, the cheap and quaffable Haffenreffer is where I'll turn.

2.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a 24oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains grain, light malts, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong malt sweetness even for the style. Then bready flavors of grain and adjuncts follow. The hops presence is very mild but brings some balance. The after-taste is kind of sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, considering that this beer is intended to be an inexpensive way to get drunk quickly it’s not that bad, but that’s all there is to any quality in this beer.

2.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Picked up for a barbeque brew to enjoy in the heat. Nice hefty 16 oz stubby bottle. Real malty smell. Taste is a little light on carbonation but not the real sweet bite usual of a malt liquor. A little bit watery but consistent flavor through the finish. Good beer to sit out in 90 degrees and imbibe while cooking drunk chicken. Slight kick but a good sessioner in the heat. Note this beer is listed a Pabst Brewing Co. Wilkes-Barre , PA Reminds me alot of an old classic: "Green Death", Special Export from G. Heileman.

2.62/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance-clear golden and fizzy, head sticks around for a little before dissipitating.

Smell-fusel alcohol aroma, some corn and DNS surrounds it, maybe a mild touch of hop and malt.

Taste-actually light and pleasent initiailly, before it's alcoholic club spits in your face at the end. WHOOOSH.

Mouthfeel-surprisingly not overdone, leaves an aftertaste of corn in your mouth.

Drinkability-for a malt liquor? Not bad, not bad at all.

Overall-for a malt liquor this is good, not overtly disgusting and not too alcoholic, but jeez does this make me wish I had a real beer in front of me, I need to get a real job...

2.61/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 40 oz. green bottle, Haffenreffer Private Stock has a very thick, creamy, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and lots of fairly thick lacing left on the glass. The aroma is a sickly-sweet grain husk smell. Taste is of sweet & sour grain husks, old bread, some hop bitterness, and it's fairly cloying and alcohilic. Mouthfeel is leaning towards medium, and Haffenreffer Private Stock finishes semi-dry, crisp, and rough. Drinkability is not particularly high with this. When I tried this from the can in 2009, when it was still owned by Pabst, it was much better. I rate this iteration 1.5 stars (ordinary).

2.56/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Darker Golden Color

S: Very Alcohol Forward

T: Slightly Sweet and Strong with Alcohol

M: Very Bubbly, almost stings

D: A little on the heavy / strong side.

I rate this my #3 Malt Liquor - Used to drink in high school in Philly. Before I moved on and traded up to Crazy Horse and Eventually Mickey's.

2.55/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Haffenrefer Private Stock pours a orange/copper color with a thin white head that dissipated quickly from a green sixteen ounce bottle. Smells like corn. Has a decent malty taste, maybe a flash of metal for a moment, and finishes ok. Selterzy mouthfeel. Not bad for the style.

2.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Haffenreffer Private Stock doesn't have the colorful history that Crazy Stallion has, but it has a longer one. The original Haffenreffer brewery started brewing again in 1933 and merged with a little outfit called the Boston Beer Company in 1956. Probably no relation to the current one, but it'd be interesting to find out more.

This review is the second half of Malt Likkapalooza V and this can of Private Stock will be judged in comparison to Crazy Stallion. I don't know if this one has the advantage right off the bat, but it seems likely. The can informs the drinker that it's the 'Malt Liquor... with the imported taste'. Sounds pretty impressive to me.

Private Stock has a less attractive can, but is the more attractive beer in the glass. It's classic amber in color (no clear winner here) and has a brighter, slightly more impressive head. Now, the only question is whether or not the differences deserve different scores.

Other than having slightly more power, there's nothing separating these two noses. One might think that being able to more easily smell a malt liquor would be a bad thing. Not necessarily and not in this case. There's no offensiveness to be had, and very little alcohol.

The flavor profiles are pretty close as well. This beer is slightly less sweet and slightly more hop-flavored. It also has more of that malt liquor alcoholic spiciness that is the reason most people drink this stuff (other than the obvious reason of course). After a few more large mouthfuls, I do believe the difference is enough to warrant different scores.

Despite the fact that Crazy Stallion's mouthfeel is slightly more full, I actually prefer this one for its cleanliness. I wish it had the other beer's slightly spritzy carbonation however. Again, too close to call.

Haffenreffer Private Stock (... with the imported taste) is the winner of Malt Likkapalooza V, although it was anything but a clear victory. My suspicion is that the extra alcohol, and less overall sweetness, secured the trophy more than anything else. Maybe Custer should have fortified himself with a 40 or two before the Battle of the Little Bighorn. It couldn't have hurt.

2.49/5  rDev -18.4%

What a fantastic weekend! I have decided to up my numbers to figures divisible by ten before recommitting to The CANQuest (TM) for which I should be committed. My local has a plethora of inexpensive 40s for sale and so I am revisiting some beers that I initially had in a CAN as further penance for my sins.

Dang! I poured a good, rocky two fingers' worth of bone-white head, then I began typing and looked away and by the time I looked back, it was gone! In the interest of equal time, it did leave a good bit of lacing in its wake. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity (I could read my next door neighbor's Sunday comics). Nose was, well, when I initially unscrewed the cap (yeah, you read that correctly), skunky. It may or may not be attributable to the green bottle. Taking a whiff from the glass, it was less pronounced than it had been following the pour and I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Would they really use Saaz hops in a cheap AML? Taste was not skunky at all, but it was sickeningly sweet. Wow! Between yesterday's malty love fest and this, I may yet develop adult-onset diabetes to go with my adult-onset asthma and my early arthritis. Great. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a sugary sweetness laced with a mild hoppiness on the tongue. Phew! Man, I would rather have fusel heat than sticky sweet, but at least, it is mildly palatable. I have had some beers that could not even make that claim. Finish left me thankful that it was cold and that I was not out in the alley, drinking with my neighbors.

1.9/5  rDev -37.7%

They used to brew this over in Jamaica Plain in Boston. And we used to call it "The Green Death". Two is all it took. I went down memory lane the other day to try to recapture my early youth. As I twisted off the puzzle cap, and that familiar industrial smell filled my nostrils, I summoned up the courage to take a sip. This beverage is not for pouring into a glass. Just a paper sack around it, and your good to go. It still tasted the same, foul, overprocessed, etc. I thought I was tasting my fillings, but alas, it was Private Stock. I offered the remains to man collecting cans, who more appreciated it's fine qualities.

1.78/5  rDev -41.6%

Brewed by the Narragansett Brewing Co. which was mentioned on Family Guy a while back. 16 oz. green glass bottle, that is "Malt Liquor...with imported taste." Clear, extremely light gold color, almost no head on the pour, a couple visible bubbles in the beer rise steadily. Very light grain in the nose, also some skunk, not a whole lot going on. Taste is skunky and stale tasting. This reminds me of beer from the perspective of me, before I liked beer. Pretty bad, I would definitely skip this one, whether it has imported taste or not.

1.75/5  rDev -42.6%

First off, I must admit a guilty admission: I've never drunk malt liquor, not to the best of my knowledge, sir. It just never seemed like an appealing choice, as I've always appreciated the flavors and nuances of a beverage, above the rush to drunkenness. And add in the ordinary associations, the filthy guy on the bus with a 40 in a paper bag, all the empties in the alley, it just seems like slumming. So call me a snob.

Clear, ordinary yellow color, big white head, that crackles and sizzles. Aroma is nonexistent. Slightly sweet, notes of corn and..nothing else. Smooth, clean, light, easily drinkable, but not enjoyable. Completely lacking in flavor, or anything else to appreciate. No, wait,..here it comes...the booze!

Thin, flinty, but afloat with grainy sweetness, no finish or body or texture, but hey, how drunk am I now? And where do I gotsta go to get me some crack?
By the way, it's the malt liquor "with the imported taste". Ooo, la, la!

1.52/5  rDev -50.2%

Saw this on the menu at a restaurant in Cambridge, thought hmmm, I'll give it a try, never heard of it. I asked the waitress what type of beer it was; her reply "it's a malty beer" gee that tells me a lot?! Well I'll give it a shot was my reply--D'oh. It came in a fat quart bottle with olives set across the top (what the?), and malt liquor written on the side, uh oh. I asked for a glass and poured it in (kept the olives separate?!). Clear gold/yellow in color with no head and not much lacing. Smelled clean of cereal grains. Taste was malty grains and corn and then came an awful aftertaste of adjuncts or something? Skunk urine, maybe Fox? Anyway, don't bother.

1.5/5  rDev -50.8%

In an effort to officially try each style (and review) I picked up this 24oz can while shopping yesterday. Too bad they didn't have the bottles with the picture puzzle under the cap. I liked those. Been forever since I've had one of these. What I find interesting is that the ABV is only 7%. I always imagined "malt liquor to be much higher.

Pours with a 2 finger bright foamy head that immediately settles and fades. The beer is a bright clear gold/brass color with a speck of carbonation. Lacing.... um.. no

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Like boiled vegetables.

Wow, I am really surprised here. The flavor is much worse than I imagined. Sweet, mushy and of cardboard. I am honestly shocked how poor the flavor is. I think they forgot to put any hops into this beer.

A combination of sweet in your mouth with an almost powdery finish.

Good thing I bought this just for the experience. No need to do that again. Man we had no taste in college, did we?....

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.