Haffenreffer Private Stock - Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

good

Private Stock Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Haffenreffer Private Stock Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.02/5  rDev +27.6%

I'm going to try to keep this review real...

This beer appears... green, that takes on a slight hue when held to the light. Peering into the forty, there's a thin and even head of small bubbles.

With my nose to the bottle, it smells actually quite nice with faint sour grains and a touch of clay backed by a subtle but distinct hop edge.

My first chug triggered bad forty karma, but after a few I was surprised at how smooth and gentle this was on my stomach. Tastes like your average macro (a bit like coors) but there's a clear grainy flavor that takes over in the finish that reminds me of old feed corn. There's a sharp nip of hop from beginning to end that is mostly just dry, but it has a certain floral edge. The aftertaste makes me think I've been eating creamed corn and walnuts. I may have to re-view my DFH review, but this may be the best malt liquor I've had. We'll have to see how the last 20 ounces go...

Feels surprisingly clean. There's a little gritty viscosity here, but it dissipates quickly with a soft foam of carbonation. This leaves a slight film in my mouth, however.

Hardly an "ugly," imo, but a great experience nonetheless. (1,156 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +16.8%

Yea for malt liquor, from Texas no less! Out of the bottle this beer was a deep golden color with good clarity and lots of rising carbonation. The aroma was sour/stale corn and rice mash. The flavors were dry and grainy with pale malt and a light sweetness in the middle that became a little hoppy at the end. Better depth than expected! The mouthfeel was smooth and oily, the carbonation soft and the body medium. A quaffable malt liquor designed to get you wasted. Not a bad choice if this was your goal... (508 characters)

16oz green bottle from the local Hannaford. Pours a light yellow translucent body with a quarter inch or less of witeish head. Cereal grains dominate the aroma with a touch of butter. Cereal grains dominate the flavor too, with hints of maltiness, citrus hops. Flavor is very good for the style. Very light in body with ample carbonation makes this a drinkable brew. Overall, an extremely solid malt liquor, much better than others in the style. (445 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Who would think it a malt liquor that is ok. The beer was served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer isnt much to look at. The beer pours a clear golden coloration. The head was white and short lived. No lacing behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is sweet grain and nothing else.

Taste: The beer has a pleasing sweet grainy flavor. Abit of bitterness dries out the beer. No off flavors noted. Alcohol is no where in the flavor.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation is appropriate for the beer. This is a surpisingly affordable and drinkable beer. (600 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Probably my favorite 40 oz. Nothing better then a 40 of Private Stock when your sole intention is to get fucked up. Drink it quick though cuz you dont want it to get warm! but dont drink it too quick cuz it'll knock you on your ass!

"smokin weed and Bambu, sippin' on Private Stock." (284 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%

To my surprise, this is actually a pretty good American lager. Of course there is that adjunct-laded emptiness where the meat-and-potatoes of the beer should be, but the beer has a medium malt / grain balance with few flaws. The medium straw color gives a foamstand that is both fizzy and replentishing. Efforvescent carbonation gives a light prickle on the mouth. Clear and bright throughout. Aromas of sweetness (corn sugars) help the malts, but also gives the beer an artificial taste and texture. Light on the vegitable, grain, and sulfurs for ease of drinking. Quite clean throughout, but with a persistant residual corn sweetness that detracts from the malts in the end. (676 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -12.1%

Of all the American Malt Liquors, this is my choice. The smell is not that bad, detect a bit of pine smell, nothing overbearing. Since graduating to IPA's and the like, have not had too many malt liquors, but the taste is probably better than most AML's, not too thick, or overly alcoholic. I will grab one once in a while to reminisce over my college years.... (361 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Sticky-sweet fugly malt-bomb malt liquor. Clear golden, minimal head, no lacing.

Smells sweet and musty.

Tastes sweet and corny with a hint of floral hops and solvent alcohol.

Smooth and wino-drinkable. Best served in a brown paper bag, in a van, down by the river! (268 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Oh man does this take me back! This was our brew of choice in high school for many reasons. 6.9% ABV, fairly cheap and available in 40s. Why were 40s so important? Because the inner city liqour stores didn't care about our IDs, and the 40 has the best oz/dollar ratio.

This tasting is coming from a 6-pack of 16oz bottles, and I just realized I forgot to check if there was a puzzle under the cap like I remember. Poured into a 20oz Tulip pint.

Appearance: More color than the usual macro brews, a nice pale gold.

Smell: Not much, some corn and something like malt. Hey, was that a bit of hops?

Taste: Unoffensive, and that WAS hops I smelt! You can taste them on the finish. Leaves a bit of a corny aftertaste but there is something not too boring going on.

Mouthfeel: Quite nice. A little fizzy, and not watery at all.

Drinkability: For what it is, it is incredibly drinkable. I totally forgot how good this stuff was for a cheap beer. Beware on hot days, count your caps! (980 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -7.6%

My first real-time review - picked this up for $1.50 at the Class Six, poured chilled into my DFH Shaped pint.

A - A pillowy cloud of white foam tops the straw gold after the audible pssft from the cap. The head measures about 1.5 inches and has a smooth sudsy consistency w/ a tight bead. Endless streams of bubbles rise to greet the white cap.

S - The aroma is sweet w/ a slight hop scent and the aroma of alcohol basically as expected w/ a subtle cereal or corn aroma.

M - Crisp and bubbly at first followed by a softer creamy feel mid swallow and finishes smooth w/ a sweet and gently warming feel.

T - The flavor is fairly gentle w/ of a grainy taste at first w/ more adjunct flavor noticed and corn in the flavor as it warms. There is a nice dry malt on the tongue as the carbonation adds to the creamy light malt flavors, subtle spice that only acts to complement the malts dominant role similar to a Helles bock.

D - I consider this to be a fairly good representation of the style, actually better than most, but still as far as overall drinkability for me is is just alright. (1,089 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a six pack of stubby bottles of this stuff a few weeks back at market basket.

A- Looks kind of cool it has an orangish tinge to it.

S- smells good, kind of sweet.

T- Tastes pretty good for malt liquor.

M- I would rate the mouthfeel better if one of the bottles in the six pack wasnt FLAT.

D- This stuff is highly drinkable I recommend it as long as its fresh. (373 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe i found this! we're in Auburn, AL and the only place we found that's open is a little gas station near our hotel so we went in and on our first pass of the coolers we found a six pack of this! i've looked for this beer for 2 years and finally found it!!! Pours orange like watery orangeade and with a nice filmy white head. smells apply and softly of ethanol, mellow. Taste is supurb for the style. Again, apple-like, somewhat sour, tart. some corn flavor, very clean. a pretty feakin tasty and drinkable malt liquor. awesome. (542 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 40. Pours a medium yellow color with a nice head and carbonation. Aroma is mostly malt and grain and a bit of fruitiness. Taste is inoffensive, somewhat sweet and only mildly bitter. A bit more mellow than Colt 45. Goes down smooth and nicely with nothing to make me want to spit it out. You know, of all the 40s I drank a few years ago, I never even tried this one. Not too bad. Cheap and gets the job done. Hey, this isn't Double Bastard you know. (463 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Wow was I surprised!! I got a 6 pack for 3.99 and was expecting garbage..not so.It has good taste it's smooth and no aftertaste plus an abv of 6.9 what's not to like??I would recommened this beer to anyone and you can be sure I will buying again shortly. (254 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Haffenreffer Private Stock doesn't have the colorful history that Crazy Stallion has, but it has a longer one. The original Haffenreffer brewery started brewing again in 1933 and merged with a little outfit called the Boston Beer Company in 1956. Probably no relation to the current one, but it'd be interesting to find out more.

This review is the second half of Malt Likkapalooza V and this can of Private Stock will be judged in comparison to Crazy Stallion. I don't know if this one has the advantage right off the bat, but it seems likely. The can informs the drinker that it's the 'Malt Liquor... with the imported taste'. Sounds pretty impressive to me.

Private Stock has a less attractive can, but is the more attractive beer in the glass. It's classic amber in color (no clear winner here) and has a brighter, slightly more impressive head. Now, the only question is whether or not the differences deserve different scores.

Other than having slightly more power, there's nothing separating these two noses. One might think that being able to more easily smell a malt liquor would be a bad thing. Not necessarily and not in this case. There's no offensiveness to be had, and very little alcohol.

The flavor profiles are pretty close as well. This beer is slightly less sweet and slightly more hop-flavored. It also has more of that malt liquor alcoholic spiciness that is the reason most people drink this stuff (other than the obvious reason of course). After a few more large mouthfuls, I do believe the difference is enough to warrant different scores.

Despite the fact that Crazy Stallion's mouthfeel is slightly more full, I actually prefer this one for its cleanliness. I wish it had the other beer's slightly spritzy carbonation however. Again, too close to call.

Haffenreffer Private Stock (... with the imported taste) is the winner of Malt Likkapalooza V, although it was anything but a clear victory. My suspicion is that the extra alcohol, and less overall sweetness, secured the trophy more than anything else. Maybe Custer should have fortified himself with a 40 or two before the Battle of the Little Bighorn. It couldn't have hurt. (2,173 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -7.9%

16oz. single purchased at a local mart in Union. Pale straw color as you would find with a beer like this, smells skunky. Tastes though not bad, the skunk I smelled is barely in the taste (this was a green bottle) Overall, it is a better than average malt liquor, maybe if it was in a brown bottle it might be even better. (322 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -15.2%

A - A very pale straw yellow color with only a twinge of bubbles around the top of the brew. Very clear save some small particulates. No lacing.

S - Corn, stewed summer squash, rice and the slightest bit of grassy hops. Not the greatest smell in the world, but the abv is well masked.

T - Sweet corn, light malt and a touch of cheap vodka. Aftertaste is lingering sweet corn.

M - Smooth, thin, extremely refreshing.

D - I am thoroughly impressed. For a malt liquor, this is low in grossness and high in drinkability. If I am looking fro forties in the future, the cheap and quaffable Haffenreffer is where I'll turn. (628 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

Haffenreffer Private Stock
40 oz green bottle
Served mainly out of the bottle, but also used an 8 oz juice glass for appearance

* Summer 2006 Malt Liquor Review Series: Part I *

Pours a shiny and golden shade of yellow. There was a sudsy head, but it vanished quickly. Tiny carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass.

Whiffs of corn and rice.

First sip provides flavors of a basic cereal mix. Hints of corn and grains. A tad sweet and straightforward at first, but there is a nice mini hop snap on the finish. This is the kind of beer that is definitely better the colder it is and out of the bottle.

At $2.39 for a 40 oz bottle, I think this has to be one of best malt liquors on the market. Not all that bad when price and drinkability level are factored in. (786 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

Picked up for a barbeque brew to enjoy in the heat. Nice hefty 16 oz stubby bottle. Real malty smell. Taste is a little light on carbonation but not the real sweet bite usual of a malt liquor. A little bit watery but consistent flavor through the finish. Good beer to sit out in 90 degrees and imbibe while cooking drunk chicken. Slight kick but a good sessioner in the heat. Note this beer is listed a Pabst Brewing Co. Wilkes-Barre , PA Reminds me alot of an old classic: "Green Death", Special Export from G. Heileman. (521 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Haffenrefer Private Stock pours a orange/copper color with a thin white head that dissipated quickly from a green sixteen ounce bottle. Smells like corn. Has a decent malty taste, maybe a flash of metal for a moment, and finishes ok. Selterzy mouthfeel. Not bad for the style. (276 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle Inspection: Green bottle, one pint, twisty, with the only warning: store in a cool place.

Aroma: Pale malt and light wet grain meet the nose, with a subtle hop presence, noble hops? Maybe that gives it the “imported taste”.

Appearance: Clear deep yellow mug with a firm half finger of snowy white head that leaves thick sheets of lace with tidemarks.

Flavor: Wet grain is the main flavor, some mild hop, a slight metallic twang, and very light fruit ester. What I don’t taste is alcohol, which given the style, is a good sign.
As it warms a bit, the flavor goes down hill, with the metallic note growing joined by a bit of cloying sweetness. Serving Suggestion: go cold, in a frosted mug.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fizzy carbonation, dry finish.

Overall Impression: First sip brought a hiccup and a mild head rush. This isn’t bad, but it has a certain “macro” lack of taste. I’d prefer a Mickey’s myself. It needs a little depth.
Still, thanks to Pegasus for the sample, erm, sorry, shout out to my homie Peg for the hookup, yo? (1,059 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +14.3%

The presentation was a unique large one pint / Half quart can. Served in my pint glass. This beer pours *very* clear! 2 Finger soapy looking tight fizzy white head. Extremely carbonated. Lots of tiny bubbles are rapidly fighting their way to the surface. This beer looks like a malt liquor. (I know that carries a certain stigma but try to consider this in its genre). The smell is nearly non-existent. I poured this very cold and got no aroma. As it warmed I got a bit more sugar maltiness. Eventually it seemed like sugar alcohol. Honestly, I haven’t had any malt liquor since I started paying attention to the beer I drink. 'Back in the day' it worked for a get drunk beer but in recent years I had not revisited this type of beer. Now that I care what the beers attributes are, I was expecting to not like this beer. Surprisingly that was not the case. It is, what it is, a malt liquor; but it is a decent one. It's a very sugary malty beer. I like the fact that it is not *at all* bitter. No bad aftertaste. The only aftertaste is (again) sugary. The taste is not complex or interesting. If you are looking for a fantastic unique craft beer you should know better than to pick this malt liquor. However, if you are looking for an easy drinking, smooth, refreshing "let's get drunk this afternoon" good malt liquor, this is a decent choice.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,380 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -10.5%

This is the first 40oz I've had in years. A friend bought it for me at a 7-11 as a joke.

I remember malt liquor as being similar in taste to the water flowing in your average city street's gutter. Suprisingly, this one really isnt that bad. The worst aspect of Haffenreffer Private Stock is the sickly pale yellow color. Not very inviting. A fairly decent-size head built up on this one (which quickly died away to nothing).

Smell is faintly of malt, with watered-down rubbing alcohol mixed in.

I suppose the taste is the strongest aspect. It is not nausea-inducing like other 40s I have had. It is made by PBR, and pretty much tastes like PBR as well. Maybe a bit stronger in the alcohol. Pleasantly ignorable as it slides down your throat and infects your bloodstream.

Mouthfeel is similar to PBR, or any other pale macro pilsner. A mildly repulsive aftertaste. Maybe this bottle is skunked.

Drinkability? Well, how many 40oz bottles can you drink in 1 sitting? Probably not more than 2, unless you are masochistic/suicidal/hate yourself/hate those around you/etc. (1,082 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -0.3%

ahh! Private Stock!...Many beer memories as a ute, drinkin this stuff!...well, let's see....
appearance, classic 40 oz. green bottle , label proclaiming to have the "imported taste"!!..pour left no head,clear yellow, that is actually deeper than most of the brews in this vain.
smell was not as repugnant as I thought it might be, actually not too bad,..might even detect a whiff of hops in there! Taste really was not that bad either, no worse than a Bud, or Miller, etc.... slightly sweet, but not sickeningly so, ghost like hops. fairly smooth without an unpleasant aftertaste.
mouthfeel was fairly full, and creamy.
In the final analyses, I'd have to say, better than a lot of cheap stuff, and no worse than the big 3!...I was amusingly surprised!...I thought it'd be GOD AWFUL!....but not so... wish it had the friggin riddle on the cap!...That was half the charm!
edit: Nasty hangover followed!..not recommended. (925 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -43.5%

Brewed by the Narragansett Brewing Co. which was mentioned on Family Guy a while back. 16 oz. green glass bottle, that is "Malt Liquor...with imported taste." Clear, extremely light gold color, almost no head on the pour, a couple visible bubbles in the beer rise steadily. Very light grain in the nose, also some skunk, not a whole lot going on. Taste is skunky and stale tasting. This reminds me of beer from the perspective of me, before I liked beer. Pretty bad, I would definitely skip this one, whether it has imported taste or not. (538 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.