Haffenreffer Private Stock - Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

Private Stock Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Haffenreffer Private Stock Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.91/5  rDev +28.2%

I was reluctant to buy this when I saw the 32oz for $1.19 and it said it had the imported taste. I laughed to myself and decided to take a gamble. After all, that is what Beer advocacy is about, taking chances and explaining those risks to others. Well, I can honestly say that this was a good risk on my part. This is by far THE best malt liquour I have ever had. It was a nice lighter on the malts kind and had more flavor than just alcohol, like most malt liquours. I really noted the strong taste of creamy butter with some malts. It had a creamy mouthfeel as well, to go with the buttery taste. Will I get this again? Oh yeah!!!

2.55/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Haffenrefer Private Stock pours a orange/copper color with a thin white head that dissipated quickly from a green sixteen ounce bottle. Smells like corn. Has a decent malty taste, maybe a flash of metal for a moment, and finishes ok. Selterzy mouthfeel. Not bad for the style.

3.7/5  rDev +21.3%

Who would think it a malt liquor that is ok. The beer was served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer isnt much to look at. The beer pours a clear golden coloration. The head was white and short lived. No lacing behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is sweet grain and nothing else.

Taste: The beer has a pleasing sweet grainy flavor. Abit of bitterness dries out the beer. No off flavors noted. Alcohol is no where in the flavor.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation is appropriate for the beer. This is a surpisingly affordable and drinkable beer.

3.6/5  rDev +18%

The presentation was a unique large one pint / Half quart can. Served in my pint glass. This beer pours *very* clear! 2 Finger soapy looking tight fizzy white head. Extremely carbonated. Lots of tiny bubbles are rapidly fighting their way to the surface. This beer looks like a malt liquor. (I know that carries a certain stigma but try to consider this in its genre). The smell is nearly non-existent. I poured this very cold and got no aroma. As it warmed I got a bit more sugar maltiness. Eventually it seemed like sugar alcohol. Honestly, I haven’t had any malt liquor since I started paying attention to the beer I drink. 'Back in the day' it worked for a get drunk beer but in recent years I had not revisited this type of beer. Now that I care what the beers attributes are, I was expecting to not like this beer. Surprisingly that was not the case. It is, what it is, a malt liquor; but it is a decent one. It's a very sugary malty beer. I like the fact that it is not *at all* bitter. No bad aftertaste. The only aftertaste is (again) sugary. The taste is not complex or interesting. If you are looking for a fantastic unique craft beer you should know better than to pick this malt liquor. However, if you are looking for an easy drinking, smooth, refreshing "let's get drunk this afternoon" good malt liquor, this is a decent choice.

Hope this is helpful.

3.48/5  rDev +14.1%

Previously unknown tall boy can of malt liquor for a buck and change? Sure, I'll indulge. Picked up on a whim from St. James beverage.

Pours a bug fluffy head on a pure gold body. Nose is inoffensive cereals and sugar. A little sour note at the finish gives this an old world feel. Overall, relaxed and drinkable. Nice for the price.

2.95/5  rDev -3.3%

Haffenreffer Private Stock
40 oz green bottle
Served mainly out of the bottle, but also used an 8 oz juice glass for appearance

* Summer 2006 Malt Liquor Review Series: Part I *

Pours a shiny and golden shade of yellow. There was a sudsy head, but it vanished quickly. Tiny carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass.

Whiffs of corn and rice.

First sip provides flavors of a basic cereal mix. Hints of corn and grains. A tad sweet and straightforward at first, but there is a nice mini hop snap on the finish. This is the kind of beer that is definitely better the colder it is and out of the bottle.

At $2.39 for a 40 oz bottle, I think this has to be one of best malt liquors on the market. Not all that bad when price and drinkability level are factored in.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

Sticky-sweet fugly malt-bomb malt liquor. Clear golden, minimal head, no lacing.

Smells sweet and musty.

Tastes sweet and corny with a hint of floral hops and solvent alcohol.

Smooth and wino-drinkable. Best served in a brown paper bag, in a van, down by the river!

4.02/5  rDev +31.8%

I'm going to try to keep this review real...

This beer appears... green, that takes on a slight hue when held to the light. Peering into the forty, there's a thin and even head of small bubbles.

With my nose to the bottle, it smells actually quite nice with faint sour grains and a touch of clay backed by a subtle but distinct hop edge.

My first chug triggered bad forty karma, but after a few I was surprised at how smooth and gentle this was on my stomach. Tastes like your average macro (a bit like coors) but there's a clear grainy flavor that takes over in the finish that reminds me of old feed corn. There's a sharp nip of hop from beginning to end that is mostly just dry, but it has a certain floral edge. The aftertaste makes me think I've been eating creamed corn and walnuts. I may have to re-view my DFH review, but this may be the best malt liquor I've had. We'll have to see how the last 20 ounces go...

Feels surprisingly clean. There's a little gritty viscosity here, but it dissipates quickly with a soft foam of carbonation. This leaves a slight film in my mouth, however.

Hardly an "ugly," imo, but a great experience nonetheless.

2.85/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Oh No! "The Green Death"!!! In my youth, this was produced by Narragansett of Rhode Island. Today it's brewed in Indiana, but it sure brings back memories...foggy memories. Pale gold with a medium grainy body and a mildly astringent taste. The medium metallic hops with a trace of grapefruit fruit peel make you scream out for Zantac. Wet bread-like aroma is not altogether unpleasant. There's an odd assortment of watery flavors, but it's drinkable. Halfway through the glass, the alcohol kicks in and is the predominant flavor. The fine and soapy bubbles disappear quickly. It's a pretty inexpensive means to create a buzz...and if you need practice knee-walking...

16oz green bottle from the local Hannaford. Pours a light yellow translucent body with a quarter inch or less of witeish head. Cereal grains dominate the aroma with a touch of butter. Cereal grains dominate the flavor too, with hints of maltiness, citrus hops. Flavor is very good for the style. Very light in body with ample carbonation makes this a drinkable brew. Overall, an extremely solid malt liquor, much better than others in the style.

3.47/5  rDev +13.8%

16oz tallboy into Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Wow! Big fluffy head on this one. Fizzes down in a minute or two. Golden body.

S- Cooked veggies, sweet malts, grassy notes.

T- Sweet malts are most dominant but I use 'dominant' loosely. Nothing really stands out. Well, the carbonation. Sweetness in the finish is rather nice, actually.

M- Highly carbonated, best served cold.

D- Fairly high. I enjoy this malt liquor, and think it's better from the can.

4.15/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe i found this! we're in Auburn, AL and the only place we found that's open is a little gas station near our hotel so we went in and on our first pass of the coolers we found a six pack of this! i've looked for this beer for 2 years and finally found it!!! Pours orange like watery orangeade and with a nice filmy white head. smells apply and softly of ethanol, mellow. Taste is supurb for the style. Again, apple-like, somewhat sour, tart. some corn flavor, very clean. a pretty feakin tasty and drinkable malt liquor. awesome.

2.67/5  rDev -12.5%

A - A very pale straw yellow color with only a twinge of bubbles around the top of the brew. Very clear save some small particulates. No lacing.

S - Corn, stewed summer squash, rice and the slightest bit of grassy hops. Not the greatest smell in the world, but the abv is well masked.

T - Sweet corn, light malt and a touch of cheap vodka. Aftertaste is lingering sweet corn.

M - Smooth, thin, extremely refreshing.

D - I am thoroughly impressed. For a malt liquor, this is low in grossness and high in drinkability. If I am looking fro forties in the future, the cheap and quaffable Haffenreffer is where I'll turn.

3.62/5  rDev +18.7%

i purchased a case of this stuff on a whim. I was impressed to say the least. i've had many malt liquours in my time but, this is now my favorite.
this beer pours straw yellow with a very small head that eventually disappears completely. the taste is not overly sweet as most malts are but, crisp and refreshing. This will definately be making its way back into my fridge at $9.99 a case. Damn that's cheap! Malt Liquor....whith the imported taste, a stretch but so drinkable. Trying to not drink too many of these and go to work will be a challenge at 6.9%. will have fun trying though.

3.34/5  rDev +9.5%

pint bottle poured into a pilsner glass. pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a half finger of loose white head that has poor retention after a hard pour. just as would be expected in appearance.

aroma is of lightly bready malt and a light floral note, albeit a bit stale. not much else from the nose, with an overall character that is promising.

taste is more of the same with a mild alcoholic tinge and a profile that is much less pronounced than the aroma. on the palate, the brew is almost nonexistant, with only a touch of pale malts and a distant note of bready yeast in the background. quite odd on the palate considering the aroma is pleasant.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with quite possibly a finish that is crisper than any other brew this BA had experienced. there is literally no evidence of the liquid on the palate after swallowing. very intriguing.

drinkability is decent. as far as straw colored effervescent brews go, this one falls apart on the palate, and has an ultra-crisp finish. that being said, the profile is semi-fresh and without the staleness that tends to plague pale lagers.

3.59/5  rDev +17.7%

"Sippin on Private Stock, way back when I had the red and black Lumberjack, with the hat to match" -- Notorious BIG

Ah, the Private Stock. Infamous. Malt liquor, with the imported taste! Fancy looking label on this here green 40 oz bottle. I have a personal law that 40's need to be swilled straight from the bottle, preferably inside a brown bag. But for reviewing purposes, I poured some of this into a pint glass. Textbook clear golden color with a pillowy white head, that quickly turns to a fine lace. Aroma is grassy and malty. Mouthfeel is actually quite nice, especially in comparison to other malt liquors. Smooth with no harsh metallic or rice aftertaste. Subtle hint of alcohol in the finish, following the somewhat malty middle. As far as 40's of Malt Liquor go, this is the one to get, in my opinion. Even not undrinkable when it warms up a little, though I still wouldnt recommend it. This is the king of the dirty 40 oz.

2.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Picked up for a barbeque brew to enjoy in the heat. Nice hefty 16 oz stubby bottle. Real malty smell. Taste is a little light on carbonation but not the real sweet bite usual of a malt liquor. A little bit watery but consistent flavor through the finish. Good beer to sit out in 90 degrees and imbibe while cooking drunk chicken. Slight kick but a good sessioner in the heat. Note this beer is listed a Pabst Brewing Co. Wilkes-Barre , PA Reminds me alot of an old classic: "Green Death", Special Export from G. Heileman.

3.7/5  rDev +21.3%

Wow was I surprised!! I got a 6 pack for 3.99 and was expecting garbage..not so.It has good taste it's smooth and no aftertaste plus an abv of 6.9 what's not to like??I would recommened this beer to anyone and you can be sure I will buying again shortly.

3.02/5  rDev -1%

You know 40oz should be a serving type. I'm also guessing that this one was sitting in the sun for a while. I'm looking forward to malt liquor...with the import taste. Thanks to IBUnit63 for sending this one as my losings in the LNBA 09 FF.

A- Super clear straw colored beer with a good head to it. Seems pretty standard so far.

S- A good deal of grain straw comes though with this astringent alcohol smell mixed in. There is something that is kinda fruity in smell most likely as a result of the lager yeast.

T- There isn't much of a taste here. I am getting a great deal of a metallic taste though. Other then that this is pretty tasteless. I would equate this to carbonated water mixed with a weak barley tea.

M- Fizzy with a good deal of carbination.

D- Well water is pretty drinkable, and so is soda water, so yeah this has drinkability.

2.62/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance-clear golden and fizzy, head sticks around for a little before dissipitating.

Smell-fusel alcohol aroma, some corn and DNS surrounds it, maybe a mild touch of hop and malt.

Taste-actually light and pleasent initiailly, before it's alcoholic club spits in your face at the end. WHOOOSH.

Mouthfeel-surprisingly not overdone, leaves an aftertaste of corn in your mouth.

Drinkability-for a malt liquor? Not bad, not bad at all.

Overall-for a malt liquor this is good, not overtly disgusting and not too alcoholic, but jeez does this make me wish I had a real beer in front of me, I need to get a real job...

3.36/5  rDev +10.2%

Crystal clear bright light golden color. Inch of fast rising pure white foam took about four minutes to dissipate. Single steam of tiny carbonation bubbles. Sticky web lattice.

Sweet grains hit the nose with decent strength. Faint buttery scent. Hop bitterness and a faint ethyl presence are hard to detect against the grains.

Sweetness caries over to the taste. Buttered corn taste dominate. Just the slightest note of alcohol with a bitter hops burst.

Decent on the tongue. Carbonation is very calm on the tongue. flavors fade fast.

A solid choice. Would work to wash down hot dogs and onion rings. Not a choice against other styles but in style it is a good choice. Great for a cheap night with one 40.

1.9/5  rDev -37.7%

They used to brew this over in Jamaica Plain in Boston. And we used to call it "The Green Death". Two is all it took. I went down memory lane the other day to try to recapture my early youth. As I twisted off the puzzle cap, and that familiar industrial smell filled my nostrils, I summoned up the courage to take a sip. This beverage is not for pouring into a glass. Just a paper sack around it, and your good to go. It still tasted the same, foul, overprocessed, etc. I thought I was tasting my fillings, but alas, it was Private Stock. I offered the remains to man collecting cans, who more appreciated it's fine qualities.

3.76/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured this from a 12 ounce can into a glass. Bright golden color. Sweet boozy smell. The alcohol is very apparent and very relaxing. The mouthfeel is smooth and very drinkable. Probably one of the best malt liquors I have drank. A great find indeed.

2.82/5  rDev -7.5%

This is the first 40oz I've had in years. A friend bought it for me at a 7-11 as a joke.

I remember malt liquor as being similar in taste to the water flowing in your average city street's gutter. Suprisingly, this one really isnt that bad. The worst aspect of Haffenreffer Private Stock is the sickly pale yellow color. Not very inviting. A fairly decent-size head built up on this one (which quickly died away to nothing).

Smell is faintly of malt, with watered-down rubbing alcohol mixed in.

I suppose the taste is the strongest aspect. It is not nausea-inducing like other 40s I have had. It is made by PBR, and pretty much tastes like PBR as well. Maybe a bit stronger in the alcohol. Pleasantly ignorable as it slides down your throat and infects your bloodstream.

Mouthfeel is similar to PBR, or any other pale macro pilsner. A mildly repulsive aftertaste. Maybe this bottle is skunked.

Drinkability? Well, how many 40oz bottles can you drink in 1 sitting? Probably not more than 2, unless you are masochistic/suicidal/hate yourself/hate those around you/etc.

3.14/5  rDev +3%

ahh! Private Stock!...Many beer memories as a ute, drinkin this stuff!...well, let's see....
appearance, classic 40 oz. green bottle , label proclaiming to have the "imported taste"!!..pour left no head,clear yellow, that is actually deeper than most of the brews in this vain.
smell was not as repugnant as I thought it might be, actually not too bad,..might even detect a whiff of hops in there! Taste really was not that bad either, no worse than a Bud, or Miller, etc.... slightly sweet, but not sickeningly so, ghost like hops. fairly smooth without an unpleasant aftertaste.
mouthfeel was fairly full, and creamy.
In the final analyses, I'd have to say, better than a lot of cheap stuff, and no worse than the big 3!...I was amusingly surprised!...I thought it'd be GOD AWFUL!....but not so... wish it had the friggin riddle on the cap!...That was half the charm!
edit: Nasty hangover followed!..not recommended.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.