1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Haffenreffer Private Stock - Private Stock Brewing Co.

Haffenreffer Private StockHaffenreffer Private Stock

good

Private Stock Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Haffenreffer Private Stock Alström Bros

roastbeefdinner, Jan 17, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -57.6%

Durandal_777, May 07, 2014
1.45/5  rDev -50.8%

Saw this on the menu at a restaurant in Cambridge, thought hmmm, I'll give it a try, never heard of it. I asked the waitress what type of beer it was; her reply "it's a malty beer" gee that tells me a lot?! Well I'll give it a shot was my reply--D'oh. It came in a fat quart bottle with olives set across the top (what the?), and malt liquor written on the side, uh oh. I asked for a glass and poured it in (kept the olives separate?!). Clear gold/yellow in color with no head and not much lacing. Smelled clean of cereal grains. Taste was malty grains and corn and then came an awful aftertaste of adjuncts or something? Skunk urine, maybe Fox? Anyway, don't bother.

chaduvel, Sep 15, 2003
1.45/5  rDev -50.8%

In an effort to officially try each style (and review) I picked up this 24oz can while shopping yesterday. Too bad they didn't have the bottles with the picture puzzle under the cap. I liked those. Been forever since I've had one of these. What I find interesting is that the ABV is only 7%. I always imagined "malt liquor to be much higher.

Pours with a 2 finger bright foamy head that immediately settles and fades. The beer is a bright clear gold/brass color with a speck of carbonation. Lacing.... um.. no

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Like boiled vegetables.

Wow, I am really surprised here. The flavor is much worse than I imagined. Sweet, mushy and of cardboard. I am honestly shocked how poor the flavor is. I think they forgot to put any hops into this beer.

A combination of sweet in your mouth with an almost powdery finish.

Good thing I bought this just for the experience. No need to do that again. Man we had no taste in college, did we?....

Reagan1984, Dec 05, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -49.2%

thegerm87, Jul 14, 2013
1.73/5  rDev -41.4%

First off, I must admit a guilty admission: I've never drunk malt liquor, not to the best of my knowledge, sir. It just never seemed like an appealing choice, as I've always appreciated the flavors and nuances of a beverage, above the rush to drunkenness. And add in the ordinary associations, the filthy guy on the bus with a 40 in a paper bag, all the empties in the alley, it just seems like slumming. So call me a snob.

Clear, ordinary yellow color, big white head, that crackles and sizzles. Aroma is nonexistent. Slightly sweet, notes of corn and..nothing else. Smooth, clean, light, easily drinkable, but not enjoyable. Completely lacking in flavor, or anything else to appreciate. No, wait,..here it comes...the booze!

Thin, flinty, but afloat with grainy sweetness, no finish or body or texture, but hey, how drunk am I now? And where do I gotsta go to get me some crack?
By the way, it's the malt liquor "with the imported taste". Ooo, la, la!

feloniousmonk, Jan 21, 2003

SuomiHobbit, Jul 28, 2013

Atomicskis5, Aug 25, 2013

Bill69, Sep 27, 2013

Dizzy242, Jul 10, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -39%

Brewed by the Narragansett Brewing Co. which was mentioned on Family Guy a while back. 16 oz. green glass bottle, that is "Malt Liquor...with imported taste." Clear, extremely light gold color, almost no head on the pour, a couple visible bubbles in the beer rise steadily. Very light grain in the nose, also some skunk, not a whole lot going on. Taste is skunky and stale tasting. This reminds me of beer from the perspective of me, before I liked beer. Pretty bad, I would definitely skip this one, whether it has imported taste or not.

TastyTaste, Aug 31, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -36.3%

They used to brew this over in Jamaica Plain in Boston. And we used to call it "The Green Death". Two is all it took. I went down memory lane the other day to try to recapture my early youth. As I twisted off the puzzle cap, and that familiar industrial smell filled my nostrils, I summoned up the courage to take a sip. This beverage is not for pouring into a glass. Just a paper sack around it, and your good to go. It still tasted the same, foul, overprocessed, etc. I thought I was tasting my fillings, but alas, it was Private Stock. I offered the remains to man collecting cans, who more appreciated it's fine qualities.

bewareOFpenguin, Sep 27, 2002

RogueTRex, Mar 15, 2012

HarryPotHead, Nov 04, 2012

Huffs, Jan 25, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -15.9%

What a fantastic weekend! I have decided to up my numbers to figures divisible by ten before recommitting to The CANQuest (TM) for which I should be committed. My local has a plethora of inexpensive 40s for sale and so I am revisiting some beers that I initially had in a CAN as further penance for my sins.

Dang! I poured a good, rocky two fingers' worth of bone-white head, then I began typing and looked away and by the time I looked back, it was gone! In the interest of equal time, it did leave a good bit of lacing in its wake. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity (I could read my next door neighbor's Sunday comics). Nose was, well, when I initially unscrewed the cap (yeah, you read that correctly), skunky. It may or may not be attributable to the green bottle. Taking a whiff from the glass, it was less pronounced than it had been following the pour and I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Would they really use Saaz hops in a cheap AML? Taste was not skunky at all, but it was sickeningly sweet. Wow! Between yesterday's malty love fest and this, I may yet develop adult-onset diabetes to go with my adult-onset asthma and my early arthritis. Great. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a sugary sweetness laced with a mild hoppiness on the tongue. Phew! Man, I would rather have fusel heat than sticky sweet, but at least, it is mildly palatable. I have had some beers that could not even make that claim. Finish left me thankful that it was cold and that I was not out in the alley, drinking with my neighbors.

woodychandler, Dec 05, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -15.3%

jaxon53, Jun 26, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -15.3%

animal69, Jan 09, 2012
Haffenreffer Private Stock from Private Stock Brewing Co.