New Albanian Saison - New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House

New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: TheDM on 06-24-2003)
3.55/5  rDev 0%

Went to Scotty's Lakehouse and had this on tap. Unfortunately they poured into a brown beer mug that didn't allow me to get a good look at the appearance of this beer. I could tell that there wasn't much head to it. The smell was good, picked up kind of a grapefruit aroma. I was expecting a lot more hop taste to this beer, but seemed to pick up more malts in the taste. Alcohol was high and wasn't masked as well towards the end of the drink. Overall a solid beer. I'm not running back for more, but enjoyed what I had.

HosP, Jun 27, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

And oft-oranged caramel with a cute average white head.

Smells of moist pine, bread and dirt.

Lot of earth tones in the flavor of this beer. Big hop bite on the tongue. Lots of wood, bread and citrus hits here.

The biggest problem I had with this beer was the dryness. It made me want to drink something else.... like water... even Dreadnaught (since I was sipping it off the tap at Three Floyds brewpub.)

This beer was fun... but it left me wanting more. It's worth the try.

RockerD, Aug 03, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -12.7%

Pineapple and grapefruit hop aromas. Golden straw color with no head. Hop bitterness consistent with grapefruit mellows into mild malt sweetness. Light bodied, very low carbonation. Good hop bitterness merges into a good malt flavor without being too sweet. Needed more carbonation. Seemed flat to me.

beerhobo22, Jun 28, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -6.2%

Drank from a growler the same day it was filled.
Pours a darker amber in color than I was expecting. About a half inch of head forms on the pour. Smell is some subdued hops and a bunch of what almost smells like lager yeast. With a name like Hoptimus I was honestly hoping for a lot more out of it. Very smooth and easy drinking, but it is very close to a Pale Ale than it's even being a IPA. Definitely not horrible, but middle of the road/average at best.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 17, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -41.4%

Poured a gold color into my snifter with lots of cloudiness. Smells of musk and wild yeast. Tasted overwhelmingly of the funky yeast. I have had ommegang omegeddon which also has some really crazy yeast. But, this one does not taste very good. It actually kind of tasted like what I imagine gym socks to be like but with a very metallic finish. Low carbonation and medium body. I will not have this one again

daftafne, Jul 21, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

I had a beer on tap and brought back a growler to Columbus to allow some friends to sample.

Appearance-orange with light colored head when it was brought to me-light residue left on side of glass

Aroma-medium hoppiness definite citrus maybe grapefruit. Let it warm up a little if you get this one. Straight from the tap can be too cold.

Taste-hops were not as up front as I would expect with a name like hoptimus. citrus flavors and a bitter finish. alcohol was well hidden for a 9% beer

Overall, the beer was more for the name and worth the try, decent ipa.

jmacdaddy2008, Apr 15, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +28.2%

Had on tap at Rich O's...this beer is very well balanced, tastes like an IPA should, not overly hoppy for no reason without the malt to back it up, this is one tasty brew...great head retention, smelled wonderful, this is a beer I could drink all day....

blsfreak, Jan 17, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +25.9%

I was privileged to share this with some BAs when kmpitz2 came to town for the DL release. Thanks Kevin!

This beer pours an orange caramel with a thin ring of off white head.

Smelled of dry butter with a green “walk in the forest after the rain” organic leafy vegetable (spinach?) and a subtle, fresh corn on the cob sweetness. This is resting on a caramel and honey malt with some sappy pine.

Tasted of smooth biscuit dough with a huge cedar floating on top that drifted up into my nose. There was also a nice hint of oak that melded with the flavor well and oddly enough, I picked out an organic fishy salmon sweetness that seemed quite at home with the rest of the flavors.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied and silky with just a little carbonation that worked well to compliment the flavors.

This is really a delicious beer with some unique flavors that were masterfully blended together.

DarkerTheBetter, May 02, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

I had this beer at the Brew-Ha-Ha in Indianapolis. The brewer called it the "Scalawag Saison". This brew poured a very small head of foine to large sized off-white bubbles with a carbonated amber brown bosy. It had a banana-clove aroma and a very complex flavor of spices, clove, maly and several other very mellow notes. I think I like this brew the second best of all those at the event.

TheDM, Jul 25, 2003
3.3/5  rDev -7%

This head when poured was small, tan and had small bubbles and no lacing. The hue reminded me of apple cider. The aroma was that of clove and banana. The flavor was bitter tasting from start to finish and lingered for a time after finishing my rating.

hotstuff, Jun 25, 2003
New Albanian Saison from New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House