Bonfire Of The Valkyries - New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House

Bonfire Of The ValkyriesBonfire Of The Valkyries

good

New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House visit their website
Indiana, United States

Rauchbier |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: merlin48 on 12-30-2006)
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Smoked beers are something I would usually go to last. But, might as well try something I wouldn't regularly get a chance to.

When the bottle foamed out of the top just a wee little bit and it was über foam on the pour, I was concerned. Apparently without warrant. This is an outstanding rauch. Mild smoked tones keep things at what I want to say is a perfect tone. This can so easily go obnoxious. This is a real pleasure to drink. Don't want to write about it; just want to enjoy drinking it.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If you poured dirty, abused oil in a glass and set it next to this, you'd not be able to tell the difference. Complete absence of light, absolute darkness. The head, what little there is, is brown and thin with almost no retention. A better head and this is the perfect looking beer.

I'm digging the smell. Lots of smoke, a bit of caramel. It actually smells a little like bacon and who doesn't like bacon.

Falls a bit flat in the taste as it's got a wateriness to it. No sharp flavors, it's like everything has been muted with water. Still, the smoke comes through and dominates, leaving only the maltiness for flavor.

Too watery for my liking, but it is a lager so it's somewhat expected. Very smoky, no crispness, though the finish is a bit tart and slightly dry. Some acid in the swallow.

Overall it's not bad. I appreciate the highish ABV, but could do without the watery feel. Really an attractive looking and smelling beer, just loses it a bit after that.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

22oz. bottle (absolutely love the label!)

A: jet black, opaque with a very full/dense head that is light brown
S: chewy malt, medium nose, some roasted qualities come through but no discernible rauch
T: deep roasted malt with chocolate qualities, well-balanced with hops taking a backseat to the rich roasted malt, some smokiness but was expecting a lot more
M: full, rich mouthfeel, chocolatey, with some earthy malt, slight cloying finish
O: reminded me a bit of a Baltic porter, very nice

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Shared by Travlr. Thanks Gene!

Really cool name for a beer. The beer is black with a small brown head. The aroma brings some lager scents, roast, smoke. The flavor lacks cohesion. I love the idea of combining the attributes of a black lager and a smoke beer, but this marriage just doesn't make it. Slightly sweet, with some chocolate and smoke notes. Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Overall, this was ok.

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle from DeLoch's in Indiana, 650ml bottle into a tulip.

Black body with not even a finger of medium brown head even with an extra aggressive pour. Nose has a tad of campfire smoke, brown sugar, toasty malts, chocolate and some sweeter caramel/marshmallow qualities. Tate has more chocolate and smokey sweetness, mild roast and a sweet malt quality well into the finish. Smoke as an accent there really. Medium heavy feel, low carbonation which although I thought would've been detrimental to the mouthfeel actually aided the beer. Smokey and on the sweeter side, something I definitely dig.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

Bottle into dimpled mug.
This was sent as part of a box by Khumbard-- thanks man!

Dark oily body with a deep tan head of half a finger. The bubbles settled very quickly to a thin collar. Nice oily legs, and there is some spotty lacing that clings momentarily.

Smells VERY smoky. Like sizzling bacon and charred wood. I get a light hint of cocoa underneath all that smoke.
This is like smoked pork mania. Even kinda salty. A coffee like bitterness comes through on the finish.

Feels medium bodied with an oily slickness.

Overall-- a solid smoked beer. Very smokey. Very porky. Very enjoyable, if you're into that sort of thing... And I am.
If you like smoked beers, this is a must-try.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

on-tap at Country Boy Brewery tap room

served a very dark brown with a slight off-tan head that didn't hang around long. moderate lacing down the glass

Aroma is just OK. it smells of roasted malts that gives a charred campfire note. also bittersweet chocolate, caramel and coffee.

It tastes like it smells... campfire aromas- smoked malt/meat, charred coffee bean and dark chocolate.

feel is medium, but still a bit light/watery for a Rauchbier. believe the creaminess would shine through if there was a little less carbonation

I enjoyed this beer but didn't love it. I like the smoked notes but it needs to be a bit richer to add complexity. overall, still comes across a bit watery.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a mug, the beer pours a very dark brown with a huge carbonated dark tan head. Once the head settled down some, a slow pour helped keep the carbonation down some when pouring the rest of the bottle into the glass. Head retention is good, and there's also a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is very nice, it smells like smoked malts (and meats), roasted/charred malt, bittersweet chocolate, caramel and coffee. It tastes like smoked malt/meat, roasted/charred malt, coffee and some bittersweet chocolate. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy, but has way too much carbonation. Even though the carbonation did settle down some while I was drinking it, it was still a bit too much for me in the end. Overall I thought this was a good brew, I'll try this again in the future and hope that the carbonation in the next bottle isn't as strong as this one was. $7.99 a bottle.

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep opaque brown with garnet highlights and minimal cream head that evacuates immediately.

Smoky bacon dominates the aroma, with hints of cola sweetness offering respite. There's a slight vegetal character that isn't offputting.

Flavor is more complex, though smoke dominated. The malt sweetness is more pronounced, almost cola-like flavors lead up to bacon and a somewhat bitter finish. As usual, there's plastic phenol present, but the sweet malt helps disguise it. Perfumy hops surface as it warms, finished with tar.

Body is moderate to slightly heavy with minimal carbonation. It's almost cereal-like.

Overall, one of the more sweet offerings I've had in this style. Drinkable in small quantities. Almost tastes flat.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

First off, I love this label!

Bonfire of the Valkyries pours a medium bodied, smooth and creamy black in color looking all the part of a Schwarzbier. It has a nice beige lacing around the glass. The nose is slightly smoky with some ham and salt before finishes smooth, chocolaty, and creamy. The smoke isn't nearly as strong as I imagined it would be, but that's a good thing. There isn't much smoke in the flavors either, but it's there. It's smooth and creamy dark chocolate with a light hammy finish. It's like a slightly smoked version of Sprecher's Black Bavarian. The body is near identical, light and very, very smooth and creamy. Overall this was a really nice beer. I'd definitely say it's a schwarzbier that's slightly smoked, and not necessarily a rauchbier. It's a nice alternative if you don't want to get smoked out by Aecht Schlenkerla.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

I will be re-reviewing this once I learn more about rauchbiers, but I wanted to take my notes while I had glass in hand.

pours opaque black, little fizz with my slow pour.

Smoke beer. Yep, smokey all right.

Smells like I'm emptying the word burning stove at the cabins I stay in... Smokey. Wet. Not sure what else is there, but there is something.

Tastes, like, well, I'm drinking the ash bucket of said wood burning stove. Like, quite a bit. I expected more beer with hints of smoke, but this is really smokey stuff with hints of beer. A bit of malteyness comes through. Sort of sweet-ish I guess. And some dryness in some hop thing going on. But, really, it is like a fizzy smoke drink.

Mouthfeel is not bad. I started it rated much lower, but as it warms it is keeping some fizziness. A little flat I guess...

It does have some body to it. At least it isn't thin and watery. It is thick... and smokey... I do like that...

Overalll, this has piqued my interest in what this stuff is supposed to taste like. I've had a few that were beers with nice hints of smoke. I'll come back and re-review if I learn this is just the style...

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours an oily black with little to no head, although a small ring of lace is present.

S: The aroma of smoked malt is front and center here. As the beer settles in the glass, scents of charcoal, bitter chocolate, caramel, and coffee gradually emerge.

T: The entry is predictably smoky with intense roasted grain and charcoal flavors. Notes of caramel, roasted nuts, minerals, bitter chocolate, coffee, and earthy, herbal hops quickly follow. The finish is clipped and chewy with notes of charcoal, roasted grain, and coffee underscored by a medicinal hop bitterness.

M: Medium-to-full in body, thick, and dry. Carbonation is prickly and active. Alcohol presence is very restrained.

O: After being underwhelmed by New Albanian's Baltic porter, this smoked black lager kind of surprised me. It's not the best rauchbier I've ever had, but it is interesting and quite drinkable. I still think New Albanian's strength lies in their strong ales, but I wouldn't mind picking this lager up again.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Imperial pints for $4.50 at the brewery… damn good deal for an 8%.

A – Appears almost black. Fair amount of lacing on the glass, but there was little to no head.

S – Roasted malts overpower at first, but then there is some complexity of sweet earthy aroma mixed with a bit of smoke. The smell takes my worries away about this being too smoky.

T – Chocolate malts and a nice amount of smoke. I tried this (even though I’m not a fan of smoked beer) because I heard good things about it. I got a slight espresso profile in the middle, which is probably my interpretation of smoky coffee. I’m really glad the smoke is not overpowering, and in my opinion, this is a great intro beer for a smoked style brew.

M – The feel is better than the appearance. I thought it was going to feel thin, but it was heavier than I expected. I would still classify it at a low medium. For 8%, the alcohol is not really present.

O – Much better than I expected, and very easy to drink. I am glad the smoke was not overpowering. Quite drinkable and I might go back and get a bomber of this brew. This is probably one of my favorites from NABC; the risk paid off this time.

4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured from 64oz growler. Thanks to Lukafer for picking this one up.

A- Pours a blackish brown color. One finger tan head shows medium retention. Nice long streaky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Roasted malts right off the get go with this beer. Some light sweetness to this as well maybe some chocolate notes causes this? Smokey aroma takes over the rest of the beer from the middle on. This aroma is very inviting.

T- Roasted malts blend with a light smokeed flavor. Toward the middle of the beer there is a light coffee hint but this comes quickly as the smoked malts come back into play. Ending of the beer has light chocolate hints to this with a ton of smoke on the ending of the beer. This stuff tastes amazing to be honest.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Smoked flavor with some roasted malts are left on the palate. Aftertaste is almost all smoke and hints of chocolate. Flavors are mostly smoke forward and balance toward that...some people might find this annoying but I personally can't get enough of it. No off flavors are detected. Medium alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer was mighty drinkable. I personally enjoy heavy smoked beers which this one leaned more toward being heavy in the smoke taste. The ABV makes this one enjoyable while drinking. I had many glasses of this but I know some of the other guys didn't like this one very much.

Bonfire Of The Valkyries from New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House