2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tricentennial - New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House

Tricentennial
No picture uploaded.

New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ZombiesAteMyDog on 07-29-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 5 | Reviews: 1 | Show All Ratings:
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

3.66/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the New Albanian site:

"(Style:) Post-Colonial Common

ABV: 7.5%

IBU: 33 (bottle is listed at 75 IBU)

Color: Tawny golden/amber.

Flavor: Medium-bodied, malt accented (not sweet) with a nip of sorghum and a hint of smoke.

Compare to: No commercial examples. It is in the same flavor range as Old Lightning Rod, just not as heavy and malty.

Available on draft and in a one-time bottling in 22oz. “Bomber” bottles to be announced. Brewed to celebrate New Albany’s tricentennial in 2113. Formerly known as 'Steamboat Common'."

---

***Hand-numbered bomber # 7/300.. I'm a sucker for limited editions ($7.50).

A - "Tawny golden/amber" indeed. Almost no head at the first pour, and no lacing.

S - At first is seemed slightly muted... Castle malt, sweet smokiness, and big sorghum. My first thought is it reminds me of FFF's Robert the Bruce.

T - This is a malt/sorghum bomb. There is a bit of sweet smoke... And a slight background of an overall hop presence. The sorghum sticks around for awhile as an aftertaste. At first, I was reminded of an English mild, but as the flavors come forward I can see the colonial-esque qualities that were described.

M - Low carbonation... I would prefer more to help balance out the mouthfeel. I would have preferred it be a bit slicker. Sorghum and grits seems to be a fade, even as an ice cream flavor, and I think that would have helped to create the "slick" feel similar to an outmel stout.

O - An interesting idea, but this seems more like an exercise in re-branding to me. New Albanian does not seem to care about following style guidelines, and I appreciate that; however, this one isn't a home run for me. I would have preferred one of their other offerings to have made it to the bottle first, but it's always nice to try a new beer... Especially when the style is not so easy to pin down. I guess I'd classify it as an American Brown?

07-29-2013 23:28:27 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
Tricentennial from New Albanian Brewing Company - Pizzeria and Public House
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.