Flying Hippo - Blackrocks Brewery

Flying Hippo
No picture uploaded.

Blackrocks Brewery visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: whatsleftofyou on 10-23-2013)
Reviews by OnWisconsin:

DMarlinJ, Nov 18, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Mikus, May 22, 2014
4.01/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Pours a hazy orange with a two-finger foamy white head. Heavy sticky lacing.

S - Nice aromas of orange, grapefruit, apple, pine, and Belgian yeast.

T - Taste follows the aroma. Starts sweet with a good amount of orange and grapefruit.
The citrus sweetness gives way to the Belgian yeast. Pine and grapefruit in the finish with some light white pepper.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Dry mouthfeel with a dry finish.

O - I have to admit this isn't my favorite style, however this was very tasty. A nice mix of piney hops, citrus fruits, and Belgian yeast. Would Definetly drink again.

TreyIsWilson, Jun 21, 2014

gratefulbeerhead, Sep 09, 2014
3.86/5  rDev -1.3%

Fresh bottle within the last 7 days poured into my Founders snifter. Poured with a small 1/2 inch head that left beautiful lacing on the glass. A golden yellow that is just short of transparent. Nice balanced hoppy citrus bouquet. Tasty IIPA, one of my favorite styles. This one does the style proud. Finishes with a crisp bitter finish and a mild aftertaste. This is a fair price at $8.99 at my local bottle shop (Siciliano's Market in Grand Rapids) and I'll grab this one again when it's released next year. Tasty

BreakfastStout, Dec 29, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours moderately hazy deep gold color with a 2-3 finger dense and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings around the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big tangerine, grapefruit, lemon zest, lime zest, orange peel, pear, apple, clove, pepper, pine, floral, grass, wheat, bread, herbal, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop, yeast ester, and malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big tangerine, grapefruit, lemon zest, lime zest, orange peel, pear, apple, clove, pepper, pine, floral, grass, wheat, bread, herbal, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness. Good amount of pine bitterness/yeast spice on the finish; with lingering notes of tangerine, grapefruit, lemon/lime zest, orange peel, pear, apple, clove, pepper, pine, floral, grass, wheat, bread, herbal, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity of hop, fruity/spicy yeast, and malt flavors; with a very nice malt/yeast/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly prickly/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Belgian IPA style. All around great balance and complexity of bright hops, fruity/spicy yeast, and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

superspak, Apr 05, 2014

whatsleftofyou, Oct 23, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

jemarent, Mar 19, 2014
4.21/5  rDev +7.7%

No date on the bottle, but this is brewed here in my home city of Marquette so it's probably fairly fresh. Hopefully.

The color is a cloudy gold, with a big fluffy head that left a huge amount of sticky lacing around the glass and calmed down to about a quarter inch of white that seems to plan on staying for a long time. Looks quite nice.

The smell is fruity with some pine-like notes. As usual around this time of year, my nose is super dry, leaving my sense of smell partially useless. I can smell the yeast somewhat and the way it's blended with the hops is intriguing.

This is my first Belgian IPA (imperial, at that) and it tastes roughly as I expected it would--like a DIPA but with the Belgian yeast of something like a tripel. It's quite good, especially for a tiny group of local brewers. It's rather mild which may not be a bad thing. There's a lot of citrus fruits, grapefruit/orange/lemon, a little more on the sweet side compared to some. There's a distinct hint of pineapple that I'm getting as well, and I like it a lot. The slight bready notes from the Belgian yeast are just slightly noticeable under the hops in sort of a subtle, tasteful way. This one is taking me some time, but I'm starting to appreciate it more. I would say it's an interesting take on the style, but since it's my first beer of this style, I should say it's an interesting style? I don't know. There's very little heat noticeable despite 9% ABV. The bitterness is there, and pronounced, but fades quickly. Personally, that's the way I like it--enough to accentuate the flavor, but not so much that it gets gross. I'm picking up some more of the pine notes on the finish.

Mouth feel is medium, decently heavy for an IPA, but again being a Belgian may have something to do with that. This is always a tough category for me unless something stands out as either really good or really bad.

Overall, I'll admit this was a lot better than I was expecting from the local brewery. Nothing against them in the slightest; it's just been my experience that a lot of the time people will like something local simply because it's local, not based on its own merits. This beer can certainly stand on its own and I hope they continue to work on bottling/canning new beers. It's kind of like the problem with local bands in general: they get by on the energy of live performances because the local crowd loves them, but couldn't record an album to save their lives. The 9% might be getting to me because I was going somewhere with that analogy and lost it. Let's say that Blackrocks has the potential to be the beer equivalent of a local band that lands a major label contract.

OK, whatever. It's really good beer and I recommend it. The End.

krustster, Dec 19, 2013