Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Grand Rabbits - Blackrocks Brewery

Grand Rabbits
No picture.

Blackrocks Brewery visit their website

Cream Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: whatsleftofyou on 10-23-2013

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

These rabbits were released from a can... in the form of hazy yellow with a strong 3 finger head at first. Drops down to a lacing/ring after a couple minutes.

Aroma of apricot, flaked maize slightly, sweet malt. Not really picking up much of the aroma from the dry hops here... background maybe ...

Taste is perfectly carbonated for the style. Medium bite on the tongue and Flavors of apple, apricot, light orange and lemon notes.. grain and sweet malt.

Goes down smooth and refreshing on a hot summer day.. thats for sure!

Very enjoyable ... session able... unique cream ale! Bravo !

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can, no date but batch 152.

Can into pint glass with a hazy straw color with a two-finger, white head that slowly recedes.

Light aroma of flowers, biscuit and pale malts and subtle lemon.

Taste generally matches the aroma, just with the lemon standing out more than the floral notes.

Mouthfeel is medium with medium-high carbonation.

Overall, Grand Rabbits is a nice, full-flavored session beer. Its not a world beater, but the mouthfeel is excellent and the floral notes were unique.

3.84/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Straw yellow with a hint of gold and a white fluffy head that starts rather high but dies back quickly to a thin snowy covering.

S- Smells on a routine side of things with vaguely sweet malt.

T- Much sweeter than aroma. Very smooth with a light cream-soda after taste.

M- Feels light and refreshing.

Overall it's a good beer if you're not looking for a complex profile of flavors but rather a straight forward and refreshing brew.

3.66/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz. can into an English dimpled pint mug.
Cloudy gold in color, with a rather short, wispy head of white foam.
Aroma-Subtle whiff of fruity hops
Taste-Pale malt, nice little dose of noble hops. Clean finishing and pretty refreshing.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

$2.19 single can from my bottle shop. Haven't had a cream ale in awhile, so why not? Plus, the 51k IPA I had a couple weeks ago from Blackrocks was delicious.

Appearance: Hard pour down the center of the glass into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. There as about a two finger initial head that pretty quickly went down to a thin layer of foam on top. The beer is a slightly hazy pale yellow color. Lacing is quite nice down the glass.

Smell: I'm no cream ale expert so I can't really explain how this smells without sounding stupid, but here goes... it smells like a session IPA, but with a sweetness to it. Most session IPAs smell like hops and water, this smells like candied piney grassy and slightly citrusy hops. I need to drink more of the style to be helpful with reviews. Oy.

Taste/feel: Man, delicious! The mouthfeel especially nails it for me, and is basically everything I expect when I think "cream ale" -- a really nice prickly carbonation coupled with a great full, creamy body. The taste is like a simple, albeit delicious, pale ale, in a way. Nice slight hop flavor with a very clean light malt finish. Like I figured, not smashing me with flavor, but it's what I expected coming into this beer. It's very refreshing, well-crafted, and nice tasting.

This is definitely dry-hopped (per the can), because while there's a nice bit of hop flavor, it really seems to shine on the nose. I could probably count on a hand how many cream ales I've had until now, but this is definitely my favorite so far.

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

I like the Grand Rabbits.....it is a solid sessionable ale that offers nice body with balanced taste. The color is golden with white head but little lace. The scent is rich grain with a subtle hop. Overall this is a recommended beer.

3.64/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notwithstanding it was something new to try, I was drawn to it as my youngest son refers to Grand Rapids as Grand Rabbits. Anyway....

12 oz can poured with minimal head. Hazy, golden color with some lace. Great aroma, very fruity with grapefruit, orange and lemon notes. Taste starts out a bit peppery with a hint of hops at the back end. Overall smooth, light and refreshing, hides the alcohol content well. A nice session ale. Glad I tried it.

I picked up a can of Blackrocks Brewery's Grand Rabbits last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm looking forward to this one, not a lot of American Brewerys make a good Cream Ale and I'm interested to see what Blackrocks can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a good design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's eye catching. It poured a hazy lightly pale yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, lightly grainy and pale malt like aromas with a slight biscuit aroma and a pretty light creamy aroma showing up in the background. Up next come a noticeable lemon like aroma followed by some citrus rind, grassy, and floral hop aromas showing up. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the citrus aspects go nice with the Cream Ale base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with the a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the sweet malts and biscuit malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes that same nice lemon aspect that I got in the aroma with those other hoppy aspects that I got in the aroma with neither one seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of light bitterness with a sweet malt, slightly grainy and lemon like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the hops showed up just enough and they made for a interesting tasting Cream Ale.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a good and unique example of the style, it still let enough of those Cream Ale aspects shine through to let me know that this is still a Cream Ale, but the dry hopping adds a nice layer of complexity that you never really find in the style and I liked that. This beer had very good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I could see myself drinking more than a few of these in a row and I think it makes for a great summer session beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how nicely the hops and lemon like flavors and aromas worked with this beer, it was a nice change of pace from the normal Cream Ales. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there's not a single thing about this beer that I disliked or would change, it's just great the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again and I think this one earned a spot in my beer fridge for the summer. I would recommend this beer to just about anyone. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I always thought a Cream Ale could work well with a little hops and I'm glad that Blackrocks felt the same, this beer really sets itself apart from the other Cream Ales. So far this is my favorite beer from Blackrocks and I think it is officially my favorite Cream Ale, if I want to go traditional I will still grab a Genny Cream or a Boddintons, but I can see myself reaching for this one often. Great job guys, I'm a little impressed so far, keep up the good work.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

12 ounce can into pint glass, no canning date. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy golden straw color with a 2 finger dense and fluffy white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, bread, cracker, light honey, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of citrus hop and pale malt notes; with good strength. Taste of tangerine, grapefruit, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, bread, cracker, light honey, and floral earthiness. Slight earthy floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, floral, grass, bread, cracker, light honey, and floral earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Nice balance and robustness of citrus hops and pale malt flavors; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, moderately crisp, and slightly bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good cream ale. Good balance and robustness of citrus hop and pale malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a very light yellow with a small cottony white head with a very small amount of lacing.

Smell: Smells kind of sweet with some hoppy tones.

Taste: Very sweet. Very wheaty.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall: It's okay. It was a little too sweet for my taste but it did go very well with the spicy dinner I had.

Grand Rabbits from Blackrocks Brewery