Grand Rabbits | Blackrocks Brewery

Added by whatsleftofyou on 10-23-2013

Reviews: 14 | Ratings: 92
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

I picked up a can of Blackrocks Brewery's Grand Rabbits last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm looking forward to this one, not a lot of American Brewerys make a good Cream Ale and I'm interested to see what Blackrocks can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a good design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's eye catching. It poured a hazy lightly pale yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, lightly grainy and pale malt like aromas with a slight biscuit aroma and a pretty light creamy aroma showing up in the background. Up next come a noticeable lemon like aroma followed by some citrus rind, grassy, and floral hop aromas showing up. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the citrus aspects go nice with the Cream Ale base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with the a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the sweet malts and biscuit malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes that same nice lemon aspect that I got in the aroma with those other hoppy aspects that I got in the aroma with neither one seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of light bitterness with a sweet malt, slightly grainy and lemon like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the hops showed up just enough and they made for a interesting tasting Cream Ale.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a good and unique example of the style, it still let enough of those Cream Ale aspects shine through to let me know that this is still a Cream Ale, but the dry hopping adds a nice layer of complexity that you never really find in the style and I liked that. This beer had very good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I could see myself drinking more than a few of these in a row and I think it makes for a great summer session beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how nicely the hops and lemon like flavors and aromas worked with this beer, it was a nice change of pace from the normal Cream Ales. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there's not a single thing about this beer that I disliked or would change, it's just great the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again and I think this one earned a spot in my beer fridge for the summer. I would recommend this beer to just about anyone. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I always thought a Cream Ale could work well with a little hops and I'm glad that Blackrocks felt the same, this beer really sets itself apart from the other Cream Ales. So far this is my favorite beer from Blackrocks and I think it is officially my favorite Cream Ale, if I want to go traditional I will still grab a Genny Cream or a Boddintons, but I can see myself reaching for this one often. Great job guys, I'm a little impressed so far, keep up the good work.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

I like the Grand Rabbits.....it is a solid sessionable ale that offers nice body with balanced taste. The color is golden with white head but little lace. The scent is rich grain with a subtle hop. Overall this is a recommended beer.

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

3.35/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

No date on can. Pours a hazy yellow with a nice solid finger of head that had good retention. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass. Aroma of semi sweet malt and lemon with maybe some fruity esters as well. Flavor thankfully is not too sweet and bitterness is minimal. Notes of lemon, pale malt, and the faintest hint of yeast esters. Cream ales are not suppose to be big and bold and this fits the mold nicely. Can pound these down quite easily and there is enough flavor to not get bored. Light body and suitably carbonated.

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a cloudy pee/Mountain Dew yellow, capped by loose head that recedes quickly to some islands. Smell is citrusy, ale esters, a light meatiness (?), slight corniness perhaps. Fruity apricot. Taste echoes these features--citrusy, and very drinkable, sharing some characteristics with an American adjunct or pale lager. Light-ish carbonation, light-ish body.

This hybrid style--somewhere between a cream ale and a very fresh, well-hopped pale ale--doesn't sound like it should work: but it really, really does. It is light and intensely drinkable, and yet has a lot of character and nuance. Super refreshing, too.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

These rabbits were released from a can... in the form of hazy yellow with a strong 3 finger head at first. Drops down to a lacing/ring after a couple minutes.

Aroma of apricot, flaked maize slightly, sweet malt. Not really picking up much of the aroma from the dry hops here... background maybe ...

Taste is perfectly carbonated for the style. Medium bite on the tongue and Flavors of apple, apricot, light orange and lemon notes.. grain and sweet malt.

Goes down smooth and refreshing on a hot summer day.. thats for sure!

Very enjoyable ... session able... unique cream ale! Bravo !

Grand Rabbits from Blackrocks Brewery