Coconut Brown - Blackrocks Brewery

Coconut BrownCoconut Brown

Blackrocks Brewery visit their website

American Brown Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Danielr26 on 11-25-2013)
3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a hazy dark orange-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, nut, and slight coconut aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, nut, and toasted coconut flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of toast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with the coconut coming through better in the taste to me.

Serving type: can.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

12 ounce can into tulip glass, no canning date. Pours lightly hazy very dark reddish brown color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of caramel, chocolate, toast, toffee, coconut, nuttiness, biscuit, brown bread, brown sugar, light herbal, and toasted earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt and moderate coconut notes; with solid strength. Taste of big caramel, chocolate, cocoa, toast, toffee, coconut, biscuit, nuttiness, brown bread, brown sugar, herbal, and toasted earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, chocolate, cocoa, toast, toffee, coconut, biscuit, nuttiness, brown sugar, herbal, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance and complexity of dark/bready malt and coconut flavors; with great robustness and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a moderately creamy, smooth, and lightly bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice flavored brown ale. All around good complexity and robustness of dark/bready malts and moderate coconut flavors; and very smooth to sip on. A very enjoyable offering.

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a can of Blackrocks Brewery's Coconut Brown last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. This is the last of the three new beers from Blackrocks, so far they have all been good and I hope this one is good too, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks ok, it's got a somewhat similar design to the other two beers, but from a glance it just looks like a Brown Ale since the word coconut is off center in smaller white font, I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a darker brown color that took on slight mahogany hue around the edges when held to the light with a fingers worth of slightly darker tan head died down to a thin ring fairly quickly and it stayed till the end and it left pretty much no lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish it had better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the coconut being the first to show up and I would say it's right around medium and it has more of a natural coconut milk aroma and it isn't very sun tan lotion like. Up next comes the malts which impart some sweet malt, caramel, caramel malt, and lightly toasted aromas with a noticeably nutty aroma in the background and when it mixed with the coconut aromas it reminds me a little of an Almond Joy. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I thought the coconut showed up just enough and it was represented well.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and this time and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they make for a nice Brown Ale base. Up next comes a light nutty flavor that goes right into a lighter amount of medium coconut flavors that still retain that nice natural aspect that it had in the aroma. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a toasted, light roasted, coconut and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, I like how the coconut tasted natural and not sun tan lotion like.

M- Smooth, pretty crisp, a little sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it was a little more crisp and sticky than I would want in a Brown Ale.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a nice example of a Coconut Brown Ale, I thought the coconut was represented well and well it could have showed up just a little more I thought it still worked work well with the Brown Ale base which I thought was solid. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, pretty crisp, a little sticky, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these, but I'm pretty sure that would be enough for me since I think the mouthfeel would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how natural the coconut tasted, I'm glad it didn't turn out to be another sun tan lotion bomb like I find some Coconut Brown Ales to be. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, they both seemed to be this beers weak point and they both could use just a little work. I would buy this beer again if I was in the mood for a Coconut beer and couldn't get Maui Brewing company's version. I would recommend giving this beer a try, but I don't think it's going to be an instant favorite. All in all I liked this beer and it lived up to being called a Coconut Brown Ale. It isn't my favorite Coconut beer, Maui's is still my favorite, but this might come in second place. This might be my least favorite Blackrocks beer, but it's not bad at all, I just like the IPA and Cream Ale more. Nice job guys, keep up the solid work.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark wood stain brown with a slight amber tinge when held to the light. Not light enough to see carbonation, 4 fingers of dirty snow beige head. Nice lacing.

S: Dark toasted malts, a little smokiness, coffee, burnt wood, not getting coconut.

T: Dark toasted malts, a little smokiness, a light sweetness. I wouldn’t distinguish it as coconut unless told. Dark chocolate, white chocolate, almost a vanilla quality (most likely the coconut in disguise).

M: Medium bready, lightly syrupy body, medium low carbonation.

O: A very nice brown ale, and I think it’s a great idea to add the coconut. The coconut is just a little too light in my opinion. Still, it’s a great brew.

Coconut Brown from Blackrocks Brewery