Honey Lav - Blackrocks Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Blackrocks Brewery visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: whatsleftofyou on 05-17-2014)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.66/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a can of Blackrocks Brewery's Honey Lav a few days ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I've only had one Lavender beer and I thought it tasted like soap, but I thought this was still worth trying, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I'm sure it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, the honey seems to be really represented on the can but there doesn't seem to be any lavender represented, it's a little eye catching. It poured a hazy orange color that took on more of an amber and burnt orange like color with two fingers worth of slightly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice spotty lacing. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the lavender being the first to show up and it imparts a big lavender like aroma that reminds me of some type of soap and it's the aspect that sticks out the most in the aroma. Up next comes a slight bit of floral honey that leads right into some wheat, orange rind and coriander like aromas. This beer had a decent aroma, but I thought the lavender was too dominating and it got to be perfume like..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the lavender being the first to show up and it imparts a somewhat lighter Lavender flavor that wasn't too dominating like it was in the aroma. Up next comes the same slight floral honey aspects that I got in aroma and it's followed by the wheat beer base that imparted some nice wheat, orange rind, and coriander like flavors with a slight amount of doughy yeast in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with a wheat, orange rind, coriander and lavender like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, the lavender showed up at just the right level and the wheat base was nice.

M- Smooth, slightly complex, slightly refreshing, a little crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a great example of a lavender beer and it still proved to be a nice wheat beer, when I got to the aroma I got worried that this would be another lavender beer that just tasted like hand soap, but when I got to the taste I was proven wrong and in the end I thought the lavender complemented this beer nicely and I wasn't really expecting that. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, slightly complex, slightly refreshing, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I wouldn't mind drinking a couple of these and I think it makes for a nice summertime beer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, it was just where I want it to be and I thought no aspect was too overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was the aroma, it was just too heavy on the lavender and it gave it a soapy and perfume like aroma. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a wheat beer like this and could see myself getting a few more before the summer ends. I would recommend this to most people, I think it's worth trying to see where you stand with it. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I started to think it was going to fall in line with that other lavender beer I had, but it took a u turn when I got to the taste and to me that set it apart and I really appreciate the balance. This isn't my favorite beer from Blackrocks, but it is now my new favorite Lavender beer and it's the only one I've had that I seem to like. Nice job guys, thanks for showing me that lavender does have it's place in beer if it's used correctly, keep up the good work.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The nose on this is straight up summer. Lavender flowers and sweet honey. Could it be too cloyingly sweet....nope. This is a great summer beer, similar to Arcadias Witsun, except more floral notes. Golden in color, floral in notes, great herbal and malt. Alcohol not too high, definitely a session beer 5.2% Great warm weather beer. Good sheeting, color and malt backbone for a light summer beer, lots of good honey sweetness. This is good stuff from another quality Michigan Brewery. Being a former Wildcat(NMU) good to see this coming from Marquette. Definitely worth a try!

4.75/5  rDev +25%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

I really don't care for this beer. I give it a semi decent score because it's clearly well crafted, and the weird flavor combination may work for some, but to me it tasted like caraway seeds (coriander too strong apparently tastes like caraway seeds??) with a strong hint of old lady perfume (lavender). You can tell that they hit what they were going for, a flowery and crisp "summer" wheat beer, but it was just offensive to my taste buds. Well made, just a gross concept to begin with if you ask me.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a strange brew and it will do what it wants to do. The first hit of lavender makes one think of a bath but it is not bathwater. Initial hit of lavender and then slowly rolls into the honey.The honey remains around a long time on the finish. Different but tends to grow on you.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »