Honey Lav - Blackrocks Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Blackrocks Brewery visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: whatsleftofyou on 05-17-2014)
Reviews by jmich24:
jmich24

07-06-2014 14:37:41 | More by jmich24
Jordanmtate

07-07-2014 16:11:12 | More by Jordanmtate
StoutHunter

3.66/5  rDev -4.2%

I picked up a can of Blackrocks Brewery's Honey Lav a few days ago for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I've only had one Lavender beer and I thought it tasted like soap, but I thought this was still worth trying, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I'm sure it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, the honey seems to be really represented on the can but there doesn't seem to be any lavender represented, it's a little eye catching. It poured a hazy orange color that took on more of an amber and burnt orange like color with two fingers worth of slightly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice spotty lacing. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the lavender being the first to show up and it imparts a big lavender like aroma that reminds me of some type of soap and it's the aspect that sticks out the most in the aroma. Up next comes a slight bit of floral honey that leads right into some wheat, orange rind and coriander like aromas. This beer had a decent aroma, but I thought the lavender was too dominating and it got to be perfume like..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the lavender being the first to show up and it imparts a somewhat lighter Lavender flavor that wasn't too dominating like it was in the aroma. Up next comes the same slight floral honey aspects that I got in aroma and it's followed by the wheat beer base that imparted some nice wheat, orange rind, and coriander like flavors with a slight amount of doughy yeast in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with a wheat, orange rind, coriander and lavender like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, the lavender showed up at just the right level and the wheat base was nice.

M- Smooth, slightly complex, slightly refreshing, a little crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a great example of a lavender beer and it still proved to be a nice wheat beer, when I got to the aroma I got worried that this would be another lavender beer that just tasted like hand soap, but when I got to the taste I was proven wrong and in the end I thought the lavender complemented this beer nicely and I wasn't really expecting that. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, slightly complex, slightly refreshing, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I wouldn't mind drinking a couple of these and I think it makes for a nice summertime beer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, it was just where I want it to be and I thought no aspect was too overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was the aroma, it was just too heavy on the lavender and it gave it a soapy and perfume like aroma. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a wheat beer like this and could see myself getting a few more before the summer ends. I would recommend this to most people, I think it's worth trying to see where you stand with it. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, I started to think it was going to fall in line with that other lavender beer I had, but it took a u turn when I got to the taste and to me that set it apart and I really appreciate the balance. This isn't my favorite beer from Blackrocks, but it is now my new favorite Lavender beer and it's the only one I've had that I seem to like. Nice job guys, thanks for showing me that lavender does have it's place in beer if it's used correctly, keep up the good work.

06-24-2014 03:35:42 | More by StoutHunter
Treborofmoria

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

The nose on this is straight up summer. Lavender flowers and sweet honey. Could it be too cloyingly sweet....nope. This is a great summer beer, similar to Arcadias Witsun, except more floral notes. Golden in color, floral in notes, great herbal and malt. Alcohol not too high, definitely a session beer 5.2% Great warm weather beer. Good sheeting, color and malt backbone for a light summer beer, lots of good honey sweetness. This is good stuff from another quality Michigan Brewery. Being a former Wildcat(NMU) good to see this coming from Marquette. Definitely worth a try!

06-08-2014 23:52:05 | More by Treborofmoria

Zuidman

06-16-2014 01:08:25 | More by Zuidman
pwedge

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

This is a strange brew and it will do what it wants to do. The first hit of lavender makes one think of a bath but it is not bathwater. Initial hit of lavender and then slowly rolls into the honey.The honey remains around a long time on the finish. Different but tends to grow on you.

06-06-2014 21:37:54 | More by pwedge