51K IPA - Blackrocks Brewery

51K IPA
No picture uploaded.

Blackrocks Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Brian700 on 09-20-2013)
4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

I picked up a can of Blackrocks Brewery's 51k IPA last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. These cans just started showing up and I've never had anything from this Brewery before and I thought I would start off with their IPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks pretty nice, it's got a nice outdoor activity vibe to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy slightly orange golden color that took on more of a darker golden orange hue when held to the light with two fingers of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking IPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and it's the citrus and citrus rind like hops that stick out the most with some tropical fruit/ berry like aromas and some floral hops aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes a light creamy aroma and it's followed by the malts which impart some sweet malt and caramel malt like aromas. This beer had a very nice aroma, the hop profile was really nice and juicy, it was the highlight of this beer.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the floral hops seem to stick out a little more and there's a light earthy hop aspect that shows up, but it's still the citrus rind like hops that stick out the most. Up next comes that same light creamy aspect followed by a slight berry flavor and the malts are the next to show imparting a light sweet malt and caramel malt like flavors. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of medium bitterness that doesn't really linger and there's a floral and citrus hop like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the hop profile was pretty good, but I thought it could have used just a little more bitterness.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought that it was a good example of an IPA, it did have couple things that held it back just a little, but other than that this beer was for sure going in the right direction and I enjoyed drinking it. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a couple of these and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy in the warm weather and since it's in can I wouldn't mind taking a few of these to the beach. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, those aspects just seemed a notch above the rest and along with the hop profile they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the bitterness, I thought it was a little low for an IPA and it was close to the bitterness level that I would expect from an American Pale Ale. I would buy this beer again, I wouldn't mind getting a six pack for the beer fridge and I recommend this to anyone who likes IPA's or hoppy beers in general. All in all I was pretty happy with beer and I was just a little impressed since I thought the aroma was pretty impressive for an IPA and it really caught my attention. I think it's a little unique for the style and it reminds me a little of Oddsides Instigator IPA, maybe they use some of the same hops. This beer made for a good first impression for Blackrocks Brewery and I'm pretty interested in trying more beers from them. I think it's up there as one of the better IPA's I've had and I think this beer could hold it own against a lot of higher rated IPA's. Good work guys, I didn't know what to expect from you guys, but this one was pretty note worthy, keep up the great work.

StoutHunter, May 08, 2014