51K IPA - Blackrocks Brewery

51K IPA
No picture uploaded.

pDev: 7%
Blackrocks Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: Brian700 on 09-20-2013)
Reviews by lochef81:
lochef81

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

My beer guy gave me one of these to try....glad I did. This ale pours a hazy tangerine color with a thick and lasting white head and a substantial amount of lacing. The nose is a very fresh blend of citrus and pine hops. Nothing extraordinary but damn good and very fresh. The mouthfeel is quite chewy for a single ipa. It is somewhat thick and dry, coating the palate with a substantial amount if hop bitterness. The flavor confirms the nose with a generous amount of citrus and pine hops upfront followed by a nice malt backbone and finishing with a very pleasant hoppy bitterness. This is not an incredible beer of note but a damn good offering from a brewer that I am nit familiar with. Cant wait to try more from them.

03-20-2014 04:04:02 | More by lochef81
Strix

Wisconsin

4.19/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a clear golden with nice head and leaves nice trails of lace.

Pine-centric smell, a little bready note to it.

Mostly pine with a bit of orange rind and a bready crackery base. Slightly peppery finish.

Mouthfeel medium-thick, not overly viscous.

This was quite solid. Nothing overly fancy, and didn't have the bite of some of the bigger IPAs but there was certainly nothing wrong with it and sitting on a UP beach with 2 of these would leave me a happy man. I'll look for Blackrocks again when I have a chance.

08-07-2014 01:41:57 | More by Strix

Colorado

12-26-2013 02:32:06 | More by minterro
pb9613

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

Normally on my trips north to the UP of Michigan, I look forward to a side trip to Wisconsin for a New Glarus fix. This time I stayed local and tried Blackrock Brewery out of Marquette. I was not disappointed.

Appearance: Poured a cloudy light orange with a thick white head that lin gered throughout the entire session

Smell: A nice citrus (mainly grapefruit) and pine hops aroma with a hint of caramel sweetness.

Taste: Great balance between the malt and the hops. The caramel sweetness does not overpower the malt backbone. This beer has has a solid hops slap in the face expected in an IPA but is balance with the sweetness of the malt. A huge grapefruit and orange citrus overtone balanced by the pine of the other hops all shine through.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied IPA with a carbonation level that is pretty good for this style. The oils from the hops do not interfere with the head retention and limit’s the loss of the carbonation.

Overall: A good example of an American IPA. Whish I could get it around where I live but just another reason to head to the UP of Michigan. It is overlooked because of the limited population and therefore the limited number of breweries.

04-19-2014 17:40:30 | More by pb9613
lewdwig

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

05-13-2014 15:38:22 | More by lewdwig
StoutHunter

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

I picked up a can of Blackrocks Brewery's 51k IPA last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. These cans just started showing up and I've never had anything from this Brewery before and I thought I would start off with their IPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks pretty nice, it's got a nice outdoor activity vibe to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy slightly orange golden color that took on more of a darker golden orange hue when held to the light with two fingers of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking IPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and it's the citrus and citrus rind like hops that stick out the most with some tropical fruit/ berry like aromas and some floral hops aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes a light creamy aroma and it's followed by the malts which impart some sweet malt and caramel malt like aromas. This beer had a very nice aroma, the hop profile was really nice and juicy, it was the highlight of this beer.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the floral hops seem to stick out a little more and there's a light earthy hop aspect that shows up, but it's still the citrus rind like hops that stick out the most. Up next comes that same light creamy aspect followed by a slight berry flavor and the malts are the next to show imparting a light sweet malt and caramel malt like flavors. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of medium bitterness that doesn't really linger and there's a floral and citrus hop like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the hop profile was pretty good, but I thought it could have used just a little more bitterness.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought that it was a good example of an IPA, it did have couple things that held it back just a little, but other than that this beer was for sure going in the right direction and I enjoyed drinking it. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a couple of these and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy in the warm weather and since it's in can I wouldn't mind taking a few of these to the beach. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, those aspects just seemed a notch above the rest and along with the hop profile they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the bitterness, I thought it was a little low for an IPA and it was close to the bitterness level that I would expect from an American Pale Ale. I would buy this beer again, I wouldn't mind getting a six pack for the beer fridge and I recommend this to anyone who likes IPA's or hoppy beers in general. All in all I was pretty happy with beer and I was just a little impressed since I thought the aroma was pretty impressive for an IPA and it really caught my attention. I think it's a little unique for the style and it reminds me a little of Oddsides Instigator IPA, maybe they use some of the same hops. This beer made for a good first impression for Blackrocks Brewery and I'm pretty interested in trying more beers from them. I think it's up there as one of the better IPA's I've had and I think this beer could hold it own against a lot of higher rated IPA's. Good work guys, I didn't know what to expect from you guys, but this one was pretty note worthy, keep up the great work.

05-08-2014 03:40:15 | More by StoutHunter
Giggy

06-19-2014 21:18:58 | More by Giggy
patre_tim

China

4.71/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Golden copper, haze with a swirl of cloudiness, virtually no carbonation. 4 fingers of creamy yellow tinged head with excellent retention, honeycomb lacing.

S: Tropical fruits, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya, fruit punch, all strong and present upon opening the can, as well as light onion, garlic, red pepper.

T: Tropical fruits and pine, vodka all in a balanced mix. Juniper berries, and alcohol reminiscent of gin.

M: Resinous thick body, little carbonation.

O: Excellent beer. Great on all accounts, yet unique in its freshness and in all the qualities I mentioned on the taste.

05-29-2014 09:46:20 | More by patre_tim

Mikus

05-24-2014 02:05:07 | More by Mikus
TreyIsWilson

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Pours a hazy gold with a two-finger foamy white head. Heavy lacing.

S - Floral hops and some light citrus (grapefruit and orange).

T - Follows the nose. Lots of floral hops and a nice amount of grapefruit. There is a nice sweet bready malt backbone. Nice bitter finish that goes away quickly.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Oily resinous finish.

O - This is a very nice easy drinking citrus forward IPA. Above average.

03-16-2014 02:03:17 | More by TreyIsWilson