Sun Up Light Rail Cream Ale - Sun Up Brewing Co.

Sun Up Light Rail Cream Ale
No picture uploaded.

Sun Up Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Cream Ale |  4.60% ABV

4.6% abv light in color, yet full in flavor. A smooth and creamy texture makes this ale a true All-American Favorite!

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 06-04-2006)

2.93/5  rDev -12.3%

Had at the brewpub on tap. A passable beer, fresh with lace, I imagine a lot of people oder this unoffensive offering. Nothing special anywhere, a little sour which is not a desireable quality in an expected sweetish beer. Could use more bulk from malts.

3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Reviewed 9/5/2009 (Draft @ SunUp Brewpub, Phoenix, AZ):

Pours a golden yellow color body, with a small white head, diminishing. Has a nutty aroma, cashews, and some hops and very floral. Not too strong. Creamy mouthfeel, nutty, cashew-like. Fruity, light fruit. Good taste.

2.8/5  rDev -16.2%

Had this one on the hand-pull at the taproom (I don't think they use the phrase...) in Phoenix.

It was served in a pretty old-school mug, which was amusing if nothing else.

A-It was straw yellow with a characteristic hand-pull head. I took about two minutes to start drinking and the head retained completely. Some cask-y lacing for about the first inch or so, but then it really dropped off.

S- This is actually what originally sold me on this specific beer. It was a huge spicy hop character with just a little bit of sugary sweetness looming in the back. It really felt like sticking your nose into a pouch of hop pellets.

T- The first taste I got out of the whole thing was a low level of buttery diacetyl. There is a pretty big malt profile up front followed up by a surprising hop bitterness which was not offset by any flavor hoppiness.

D- I really wouldn't drink this particular beer again.

BUT, as a sincere caveat, I did enjoy Sun Up's Vanilla Porter, which was one of the best I'd had but which I did not take notes on.

3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

Good appearance with golden hue and contrasting head. Some off-flavors and aromas were present, however not to the extent to think that I had a dirty glass or other non-beer sourced problem. Faint malt was noticeable on palate and nose, and the beer was creamy across the palate, but other than that it had no redeeming features.

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

I thought this beer was unremarkabale until I tasted it. I'm relatively inexperienced with cream ales, but this beer tasted actually quite creamy and lightly fruity! This (for some reason) pleasantly surprised me.

It poured a bright sparkling yellow with a good amount of head which had limited durability. Aroma was really minimal, but lightly fruity. Taste was quite odd (in a good way)...a bit of subtle spice along with a genuine creaminess which I found quite shocking. Mouthfeel was a bit harsh, but not bad. I found this beer rather drinkable.

I'd recommend this beer as a great example of a cream ale.

3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

This beer is a brilliantly clear gold color and is topped by a thin, frothy, pale, off white colored head. A soft fruity aroma is a mix of kiwis (I think), apple and honeysuckle. Actually more than fruity this reminds me of an aromatic sweet nectar from a flower. I really like the aroma, there is a soft herbal character to it as well an perhaps even a touch of diacetyl, which only adds to the complexity.

The taste is a touch creamy feeling with a definite malt sweetness and again just a hint of diacetyl. A nice honey flavor runs throughout as does a nice hoppy, herbal bitterness. The bitterness fades in the finish where the sweet honey-like nectar notes linger on for a bit. The mix of flavors in this cream ale are just so well integrated. In fact this is the first cream ale I have had that I would be happy to drink again. Despite this, I don't see this being too much for the craft beer neophyte or reluctant brew-pub goer.

Sun Up Light Rail Cream Ale from Sun Up Brewing Co.