HC-100 - Holy City Brewing

pDev: n/a
Holy City Brewing visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Beer added by: MacQ32 on 06-20-2012

It’s hard for us to believe, but we reached our 100th batch of beer with HC-100, right on the heels of our first anniversary. 100 is a nice round number, so we opted to use 100lbs of hops throughout the brewing process of this batch, equating to about 7 pounds per barrel. The malt bill is no slouch, nor could it be at 10%, but this beer is defined by its aggressive hop character from start to finish.

Reviews by MacQ32:
3.88/5  rDev n/a

The 100th batch brewed at HCB! We went all out for this double IPA and used 100 lbs of hops through-out the brewing process. That's almost 7lbs per bbl. It comes in at 10% abv with a big malt back bone and aggressive hop bitterness up front. The aroma is citrusy and earthy.

A - Pours a cross between a copper and a light mahogany with a really nice finger of dense, caramel colored head, fantastic lacing, great retention.

S - Just as described, malts are obvious but not overly sweet. Stronger earthy aroma with a nice citrus aroma in the background

T - Malty initially, mildly sweet from the malts and citrusy followed by more of a dry bitterness. Alcohol is very well hidden, the finish is sweet/mildly bitter but does not linger too long.

M - Medium bodied, appropriate carbonation. Pretty drinkable.

O - Very good, consumed at ~50-55. The bitterness is not too in your face and allows the earthy maltyness to be experienced as well as the sweet citrusy characteristics of the beer while still being enjoyably bitter. Nicely balanced (1,043 characters)

4/5  rDev n/a

A: Had this beer on-tap at Gene's Haufbrau, poured into a pint glass. Had a brown-orange color and a cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of creamy head that lasted a fair amount of time. Great lacing.

S: A very hoppy aroma, along with a good deal of citrus, too.

T: Tasted of hops (a decently elevated amount), a bit of malt, and citrus (grapefruit?). This flavor won't win any awards for originality, but it is solid and tasty.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a bitter finish. Medium-bodied.

O: On the whole, a well done, drinkable beer. (553 characters)

4.62/5  rDev n/a

Since I started really getting into the hoppier beers, it's really expanded my palate. I'm constantly looking for that sticky, hoppy, beer that blows my mind, but doesn't leave a nasty aftertaste that lingers. For me, this was that beer. Obviously, using 100lbs of hops is nothing to laugh at, they threw the gauntlet down on this one. I was thinking that it would have that nasty, bitter aftertaste that left a funky taste in my mouth afterwards, but this didn't at all. Yeah, it was supercharged with hops and you could taste it, but there was also a nice malt character that helped balance it out, keeping the nasty aftertaste at bay. It was hard to remember that this bad boy was 10%, as only a very faint taste of alcohol was present. I'm sad they won't be making this again, but I'm very glad that I grabbed a growler of it while I could. Looking forward to the HC-150 series. (882 characters)

HC-100 from Holy City Brewing
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.