Microbrew Invitational

Colorado Wild Sage Mountain SaisonColorado Wild Sage Mountain Saison

Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewed with white sage and lemongrass.

Added by Todd on 10-04-2013

Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 191
Reviews by kylemckinnis:

4.71/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This. This was a romantic novel in a glass. So many pages. So many twists and turns. It was as if M Night Shyamalan was writing in a leather bound book just for my peering, unadulterated eyes. There was even a chapter that had my head jammed in a burlap sack, thrown into the back of what felt like, an old weathered, Volkswagen van, with shag carpeting everywhere. My senses were being overthrown with such power. Sheer, intense, power. It was like the battle of helms deep was shrunk and shoved in my un-expecting palate, and Gandalf riding in on Shadowfax with his staff held high, shooting magic everywhere with a wizardly glare!

"Jeepers!" I exclaim! as I gingerly lift the shimmering chalice of Wild Sage towards the heavens! The sun, caresses the condensation that hugs the glass. Golden drops cascade, and reside into the bottom of the glass. Bliss.
Bringing the holy cup back down, I motion it so, towards my nose. Yes. YES! Sage! Lemongrass! Even lilac makes a brief appearance! They Immediately rush into my nostrils, like Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. It is delightfully overbearing, and my senses give a warm welcome with open arms.

My mind now in a trance. Stumbling backwards, dazed, lost. Where am I? Who am I? The only thing that I can remember is this beer. I press on wards to tasting it.

Oh my (Said like George Takei from the original Star Trek). All my memories pour back into my mind, like the chain smoking, bowling lane, bartender women, pouring pitcher after pitcher of bud light into the gullets of a thousand thirst quenching dads who are only trying to escape the disappointment and shame of the lives they had planted and grown.

I now remember who I am, and where I have traveled to. Although I remember my past, this beer startles me, and confuses my taste buds. Right away a clan of shaman, whip me relentlessly with bundles of sage. The fragrance soaks into my pores. Citrus soon follows, and the tartness has me begging for more. Down. DOWN I GO! It tastes like a platoon of men from the army reserve stuff socks with lemons, and initiate me into becoming one of their own. Consistently they slam the sour fruits into my innocent, tender body.

But dear readers, do not fret. The gentle flowing grass has arrived to save the day. The blades wrap around my tongue, and glide between my teeth. They make small incisions into my gums, and slip in. Painless, but it has not gone un-noticed. The grassy meadows now take into my bloodstream, and gallop all over my being. Soon, my whole body has been taken into custody by this beer. My body slowly starts to change form. (Picture the book series animorphs, but instead its a fully grown man, turning into this bottle of wild sage)

Then out of nowhere, my body explodes, and fear strikes the community. Windows are blown out for miles around. Is this the end? Has Russia finally snapped, and attacked our humble tribe? No. They have not. It is just me taking my final form. I have now grown into a beautiful, sleek, shimmering creation of God's final Will and Testament.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is what this beer has done to me.

4.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev -2%

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

Sage, Lemongrass, Spice, Crackery

Brewed with white sage and lemongrass. Decanted carefully for a slightly hazed pale yellow and a fluffy white head. The nose is of full of sweet sage, spice and faint botanicals. Light, lively and creamy on the palate. More sage up front with a refreshing lemongrass edge, which helps cut the crackery malt base and pushes back on the sage. Some pleasing funk and a hint of tartness come to play, but are sidelined by the sage again. Dry and pithy with husky tannins and a yeasty finish that lingers, Crooked Stave's artful use of sage yields a sublime twist on the Saison.

As reviewed in BeerAdvocate magazine #102 (July 2015).

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Gold to yellow in color and extremely hazy in complexion. There's a fingernail of off white surrounding the rim and covering the vast majority of the top. Moderate lacing. Aromas are comprised of lemongrass and peppery sage. Faint notes of tart Brett are also present. The overall impression is a bit intense to the nose. I taste an interesting mélange of tart lemongrass, tart Brettanomyces, and earthy sage. The mouth is very carbonated and dry.

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours hazy straw under a very finely bubled clingy 1” white foam collar that quickly descends to a thick film.
S: Two or three different layers of lemon aroma along with sage and light grains joined by saison yeast aromas..
T: Starts with a light honey sweetness with a little biscuit seasoned with sage and then lemon grass and yeast driven lemon break through and pull everything together. Tart but the malts and spices mellow it so it is not as tart as it smells.
F: Exceptionally creamy, drinks like a cloud, medium to medium light body, soft in the mouth, very fine soft carbonation.
O: I am going wild over the texture and the amazing balance between the added spices, wild yeasts, saison yeasts and malts.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12.7 oz. bottle into a chalice. Date on label is May 2015.

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellowish orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Big two finger white head that slowly recedes into a thinner creamy layer. Lots of lacing.

Smell: A spicy, fruity, and funky Saison style aroma with a big scent of sage, lemongrass, and fruit. Belgian yeast along with some spice hints of sage, white pepper, and Brett funk. Big scent of lemongrass along with some other fruit hints of white grapes, orange, pear, and green apple. Bready hints of wheat, grains, straw, and cracker. A very solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a spicy, funky, and fruity Belgian style taste with notes of sage, lemongrass, and fruit. Belgian yeast with notes of sage, white pepper, Brett and farmhouse funk. Big presence of lemongrass. Fruit notes of pear, white grapes, green apple, and orange. Fairly tart and acidic. Soft bready notes of wheat, grains, cracker, and straw. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. Spicy, juicy, and drying.

Overall: A very good spin on a Saison. Nice drying fruit flavors with a good kick of tart funk along with the sage and lemongrass.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazy golden color with white head. Aroma is a very pleasant mix of fresh, green herbs and brett funk. Taste starts tart and refreshing with the lemongrass very present at first. To the end you can taste the sage too but it's not too intense. Mouthfeel is quite soft but the crisp carbonation balances it out. Alcohol is very well hidden. Really good combination, all the components of this beer are integrated very well.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.59/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

June 2015 date on the bottle,
Keeping the lees in the bottle, I am left with a clear golden color beer with minimal head. A little bit of spotty lacing is left on the glass. Mild funky aroma but also notes of lemon and herbal sage just as expected. Surprising level of acidity for a brett beer. Must have used some lactobacillus in fermentation as well. Mild herbal and earthy notes. Not as funky as I would of like. A bit of lemongrass in the finish. The carbonation is a little low and the beer is pretty big bodied for an acidic beer. An enjoyable beer but not what I was expecting from reading the label.

Colorado Wild Sage Mountain Saison from Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project