Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Rouge" - Crooked Stave Brewery & Taproom

Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Rouge"Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Rouge"

Crooked Stave Brewery & Taproom visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.20% ABV

Wild Wild Brett Rouge is an unfiltered, slightly tart wild ale, fermented entirely with Brettanomyces yeast. Brewed with hawthorn berry, rosehips, and whole hibiscus flowers, Rouge pours a reddish hue delivering soft floral aromas and tropical fruit flavors with a tart earthy finish.

(Beer added by: pkeigs on 08-02-2011)

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured in to a tulip. Very carbed, ended up shooting all over my wall. Hazy red/orange color with a 2 finger, frothy head that lead to good lacing.

Smell was fairly mellow. Some definite Brett aroma of musty and barnyard smells. Slightly grainy and malty. Notes of cherry. Slight berry aroma.

Taste is light and mildy malty. Slight bitterness in the finish. Some flavors of cherry and lightly floral. Mild berry flavor. Musty and funky. Mildly tart finish. Slightly earthy.

Mouthfeel was medium/light body with high carbonation and a bone dry finish.

Overall nice beer to showcase Brett. A bit annoying I lost a good portion of the beer on my wall though.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

on tap at Funkwerks.

A: a deep coppper-orange, with a reddish hue. a subtle pinkish hue head that fell to leave just a coating over the beer.

S: a nice floral aroma. there is a touch of tartness. I also get berries, and hibiscus. there is an earthy funk/mustiness, and some oak. there is some caramel and straw as well.

T: a little disappointed based on the aroma. there is a nice floral flavor, with some light fruit and berries. it has a touch of sweetness. hibiscus definitely comes through. there is a slight brett flavor, and some oak. I was hoping for a touch of tartness based on aroma, and a little more funk. the finish definitely is dominated by brett funk though. the after taste is hibiscus. i get some straw and light grains. just not as full flavored as I was hoping for.

M: medium-thin with a good amount of carb. not overly carbed.

O: this is a pretty good beer, that I would drink again, but i was hoping for more funk. if i had a bottle i would age it for a year or so to see how it develops.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Crooked Stave, an awesome new concept brewery started by the brett man himself!

I love the design of Rouge, the first installment of the "Wild Wild Brett" series. The label is awesome in its presentation. When I open the bottle, I can tell it is carbonated perfectly. The aroma is dominated by a unique brett character rounded out by a nice tropical/floral presence. A very slight plastic smell is still present, however the beer is very young and I believe this will fade entirely with a little more time in the bottle.

A nice reddish color with a slight brown hue (think barnyard) accents my glass while nice amount of white head covers the beer. The majority of it dissipates quickly, leaving a thin layer around the rim of my glass.

The beer itself is very effervescent and tastes rose and hibiscus initially followed by an awesome earthly, barnyard brett character. The slightly tart complexities complements the rest of beer very well. The mouthfeel is a little thin, but once again I think it will change with a little more time.

I'm excited to see how this guy progresses and changes with time!

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this in the line at Crooked Stave on Sunday.

Appears a peachy red color that quickly has some sediment sink to the bottom. The color has a mysterious mirky tint, that I thought really resembled what I thought this beer might be like.

Smell was the highlight for me of this brew. I found the aroma to be cherry, which is ironic since that isnt in the bottle. The rose aroma came through loud and clear to me.

Taste was a little disappointing, but still strong for a beer with this age on it. Cherry, nuts, perfume, cranberry, and nutmeg were the flavors I took the most. Just a hint of spice, which I really, really liked.

Overall, a nice brew. I would have loved to try this fresh. Worth trying if you like cherry sours!

Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a very cool dark pink color with a big, well-carbonated head that fades quickly. Aroma is rather floral, with a noticable brett barnyard note hiding in there somewhere. The beer itself is somewhat thin (expected in a brett beer, I suppose), but full of the same things you find on the nose- a slight floralness with a more distinct brettanomyces presence that shows up in both a barnyard and citrusy fruit way. Finishes very dry- easy to drink without being boring.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

I love how this beer pours, has a slight pink note, and like a pink lemonade looking head. Smells of Brett, tropical fruit, little barnyard, I pick out rosehips, hawthorne berries, and hibiscus. Swirling it gives me a little more brett, I expect this beer to have a little sourness, but it has some mid palate, that fades to a nice clean/dry finish. The brett is once again the primary focus, little to no hop aromatics, a little spice, but a whole lot of complexity in the yeast. This beer is going to age fantastic, the brett is just going to continue to develop into tropical fruit, pineapple, mango and the like. I am really excited for these beers, and can't wait until his barrel aged blonde comes out!

Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Rouge" from Crooked Stave Brewery & Taproom