Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Indigo" - Crooked Stave Brewery & Taproom

Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Indigo"Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Indigo"

Crooked Stave Brewery & Taproom visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Brett Ale Fermented w/ Blueberries Aged In Oak

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-09-2012)

Big thanks goes out to the BA who sent me this one so I could share this one at a recent tasting! Bottle #1283 of 1516! Served from bottle into a Sweetwater 15th Anniversary snifter. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a half finger slight off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, blueberry, fruit, sugar, funk, and butter. The flavor was of sweet malt, blueberry, fruit, funk, earth, and subtle tart. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. I really quite enjoyed this one if I am honest. You could definitely pick up on the blueberries in this one, but the oak was nowhere to be found on my palate which was unfortunate. While it didn’t bring the oak, it was really well balanced and quite easy to drink. The funky aspect going on was really a nice touch that helped amp up the blueberry flavor. A definite must try on this one.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

After some beers I though were okay, but nothing amazing, Crooked Stave is killing it now. While the WWB series is known for pushing boundaries a bit, this one is more of a "traditional" sour fruit beer.
Cloudy khaki color with blue'ish/purple'ish highlights. Tons of foam.
The nose has a mix of funky brett yeast, green apple/citric sourness, and just a little bit of fresh fruity sweetness.
One the palate, the tartness hits first, with the yeast following and adding a little bit of natural bitterness and even a bit of savory character. The back end has a sweet fresh fruit note and finishes tart with the yeast popping back up a little, too. The fruitiness comes across as unmistakably blueberry when you know that what's there, but I'm curious if it would be as obvious blind. Either way, it's good, and highly drinkable. I love how every sip goes through a progression.
Probably my second favorite WWB beer behind the unfortunately discontinued Yellow.
Unique and tasty, while being a bit more familiar than some others, too.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle - batch 7/12, bottle 1150/1516. Pours a hazy amber with reddish-violet hues and a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sweet bready malts with tart/sour blueberries with a little stink and funk from the brett and some slight vomit notes.

The flavor is sweet blueberries with some tart citric notes and some earthy brett and vanilla. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a nice blend of tart blueberries and brett. The best blueberry beer I've had. A little too sweet.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

A lovely hazy, glowing ruby red fused with some orange with a nice thumb and a quarters width khaki head and nice lacing. The play between the blueberries and brett provides some fantastic sweetness paired with tartness, the barrel provide some woodiness. Overall, the funkiness is nicely controlled and well used. Flavor starts off sweet and tart like the aroma suggested; the brett shows itself first in a very present but also very controlled manner, the blueberries then come out to play, and lastly the oak shows itself providing a nice woody finish. A nice level of tartness to this. An active, crisp mouthfeel. Overall, my favorite Crooked Stave brew I have tried. As mentioned below, I too often find my interest in checking out a CS to be > than my actual enjoyment of the beers, but in this case my expectations for it were definitely surpassed. Great beer, IMO.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

I keep swearing I'm going to stop buying Crooked Stave beers because I never feel like they are worthy of the price tag and then I see a new one and it sounds so interesting I buy it and repeat the cycle of disappointment. I was hoping this one would be the one that broke that cycle and it was. I think this is the one that is actually worth the price tag, maybe they are finally hitting their stride. Purple, pink color, huge head that swiftly dissipated. Smell is funky, sort of manure like, hints of blueberries. Taste is nice and funky with a strong fruit component, blueberries. I almost wonder if they used a concentrate or just really good berries because the fruit really shows up well here. Nice job, crooked stave, I might buy a second one.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from tap into tulip at falling rock Denver. Pours a blood orange no head. Smells of funk...I mean funk. That's it.
Taste is great funky fruit. Its hard to review really funky beers but this is really nice. Tart, sweet, funky, orange, with a bit of some mild french or german noble hops. Such a good wild. Get it if you see it!

Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett "Indigo" from Crooked Stave Brewery & Taproom