Vieille Artisanal Saison - Crooked Stave Brewery & Taproom

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: ArrogantB on 04-08-2013

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
2.7/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellowish white with an orange hue and a slight white head. Aroma is kinda MIA, there is some sweetness from the fruity hops and I get a little tart brett, but really its justs messy and indiscriminate. Flavor is the same way, tastes a bit woody. some sweeter citrus, and a maybe some ripe earthy root type vegetables? A hodgepodge of random stuff that is just messy and fails to come together. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp with some slight activity. Overall, this beer is straight up no good, IMO. I LOVED the initial batch/variation and was disappointed when I heard it was not going to be continually offered. That said, I was excited when I heard the tweaks being done to this variation. Unfortunately, what sounded good on paper did not come out to be anything close to being good in real life. I gave this a few tries before I reviewed this one just to make sure it was a consistent problem and not simply one bad bottle, but so far all attempts have fared the same. Of all the Crooked Stave beers to buy a handful of right out of the gate, I wish it hadn't beenthis one. If these beers were cheaper, I honestly would have drain poured some of this.

4.34/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Brewery on 4.5.13

Not only is there a label change from the "Saison" but also hops that were dry hopped.

A - Served a cloudy light orange with a huge soapy white head that left tons of lacing on the glass.

S - The smell is clean and crisp. Great citrus, funk, and a very slight funky-tartness.

T - Again and nice balance of citrus, farmhouse funky, and subtle spices.

D - Good carbonation with a lighter body.

O - I really enjoyed this one. I brought home three bottle in my suitcase. Clean, crisp, and really drinkable. Try some, you'll like it.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

This poured out as a hazy yellow color with a soapy white head on top. The lacing was decent with a thin film-like retention on top. The smell of the beer has plenty of fresh oak aromas and tart lemon on the nose. It's also pretty funky. The taste of the beer is decent but a little one dimensional in my opinion. There isn't much depth to this, it's a very clean tasting beer though. The mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side but has a decent carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer but nothing I'd seek out in the future.

2.92/5  rDev -27.4%

This is apparently a different malt bill than the previous Saison Vielle Artisanal and dry hopped with citra hops. The label is different and I was confused at first as to whether it was really a new beer but I'm adding it. Golden hazy orange color, soapy head. I don't like the smell at all, onion and burned rubber, not good at all. Flavor was ok, grains, yeast, meh. Darn, I was hoping the citra dry hopping would make this something special like Tank 7 or something but I was bored. I also did not pick up on the barrel/foeder aspect at all.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last