Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,081 | Hads: 3,057
1.66/5  rDev -60.8%

Too spicy, too much yeast and alcohol riding atop a decent body. Where's the Dunkel in this? Cloudy and blonde. I'm not an expert but the definition of a Weizenbock provided by this web site is fitting, so maybe the beer is exactly as it should be, and that's something I can't stand drinking, like a Lambic. At first, I could appreciate that this beer had very unique, defined flavors, but they just don't work for me. (419 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -44.6%

Served on draught into a hefeweissbier glass at Ma Che in Roma, Italy. Reviewed from notes. I'd previously had it out of the bottle.

A: A two and a half finger head of slight soft cream, fair thickness, and average (~2 minute) retention. Cloudy dark copper colour.

Sm: Heavy orange peel, lemon, cream, and barley. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Orange and lemon peel, moderately full barley, and nice cream. Complex enough, but a touch watery. Built alright. Kind of balanced.

Mf: Too smooth, too wet. Classic fallacy. Doesn't really complement or feel tailored to the flavours of the body.

Dr: Easy drinking, high ABV for the style and a high price (4 euro for a half pint!). Decent quality, but a bit dirty. Perhaps the tap needed cleaning? (751 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -40.1%

A: Light honey yellow, white head of 3 fingers, low dissipation, great retention and great lacing.

S: Fruity banana and grain. Alcohol is very strong-smelling. Not very exciting.

T: Very sweet and fruity with quite a bit of unmasked alcohol in the first flavors, followed up by a grainy and even more alcoholic aftertaste. It's not that great. Alcohol burns the nose after swallowing.

M: Light-bodied, non-astringent, but a little watery.

D: I don't think I will be finishing this one. It's drinkable, but the strong alcoholic flavor in the taste after the swallow kills my appetite. (588 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured into a hefe/Bavarian flute glass.

Looked much more like a hefeweizen than a weizenbock, maybe a dunkel weizen is the appropriate style appearance description for this beer.
The smell was overwhelming banana but not in a good way, def a considerable amount of yeastiness as well.

This is not a Weizenbock and that is the biggest issue for me. It was also out of balance for the style and was just way too wheaty with not evenough malt balance. Not my favorite style, not my favorite beer, and definitely not typical of the style. If you want a Weizenbock, stil to Aventinus, it's perfect, why mess with perfection. (623 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -35.6%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was cloudy and pale. It had a nice big head. The taste was strange though. Kinda fruity like bananas
with a really bad aftertaste I thought. The beer tasted old or out of date to me me which makes me have to say NO, I will not try again. (296 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -33.5%

Bomber, bottled on 3/9/10, poured into a wheat beer glass (reviewed in October).

I'm going to say this right off the bat, I didn't like this beer... at all. Considering the fact that I loved their Hefeweizen and Hefeweizen Dark I am willing to give Weihenstephaner the benefit of the doubt and believe I might have got a battle or old bottle.

A: Looks exactly like the Hefeweissbier, dark golden color, hazy, massive 3-finger foamy head that lasts forever and leaves good lacing.

S: Right away I knew either something was wrong or this wasn't for me. The banana and over-ripe fruit was just WAY to strong. It smelled like someone stuck a 2 week old black banana up my nose. I knew there were some other flavors and spices in there, but it just didn't come through.

T: Oh yeah, way to robust. I like bold flavored beers, but this just tastes like an old banana. I can taste some other fruits, bread, yeast, and esters when the initial burst mellows out, but it's still really sweet and old tasting.

M: I gave this a 4.0 because although I don't like the taste, the mouth feel is pretty much the same as the hefes.

D: I couldn't finish this and ended up pouring out that last 1/3 of the glass.

I really want to try a fresh bottle of this again because I love wWeihenstephaner and it just didn't seem right. (1,315 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -33.5%

A- a bubbly golden straw colored brew sits under a 1 finger white head that holds decently

S- heavy banana aromas, with wheat as well...as brew warms a minty alcoholic scent arises

T- banana flavors dominate up front until a strong tide of wheat comes through and finishes somewhat spicy, alcohol creeps around the after, and brew warms alcohol takes quite a role on the finish

M- coarse and dry, alcohol can be harsh

D- i like my brews with the alcohol at a tamer state, quite filling and definitely not sessionable, complex brew but i just couldn't enjoy it (563 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

A - pours a cloudy yellow with 1/2 inch of foam

S - spices, clove, lemon and grapefruit, some grainy bready aroma

T - bready wheat with lemon zest and a sort of soapy flavor

M/D - decent carbonation and flavor, sort of a refreshing brew, but there is a soapiness to it that turns me off to this one. I don't think i'll get it again. (335 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -30.9%

Well, I spot so many others giving this a pretty high score, but I have to stick with my guns. I didn't particularly care for this one, and I shall explain why to the best of my ability. I am also allowing for the possibility of a bad bottle, or my palate being somewhat shocked by tasting a chili beer (yes, you read that right) earlier in the evening. Also, I'm not normally a wheat beer fan, so maybe that has something to do with it. All that said, here we go:

Cloudy, hazy orange peel color. Mediocre head retention. Nose is light citrus (lemon or meyer lemon), some coriander (maybe). Also, it reminds me of pancakes for some reason.

I found this one to be not rich enough for my liking. It did not entice me to keep drinking it, and I did not find my fondness for it increasing sip by sip. I thought the mouthfeel was kinda thin, which surprised me, as I quite like Weihenstephaner HefeWeiss. I have a feeling that this one merits a revisit, and possibly then, an edited review, but until that time, these are my thoughts. (1,031 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

As I poured this beer into a glass the fruity smell was strong and the color was a great hazy yellow/tan. I was excited to taste it.

Mmmmm... first sip was yeasty with a slight sour finish. Swishing it around a bit in my mouth brought hints of the alcohol in it. Second sip, it was still good. Alcohol seems a bit more up front with sour finish more obvious.

By the time I finished the glass,all I could taste was the alcohol to start and on the finish, the sour taste was overpowering everything else, hinting of a dish soap flavor.

Since this was a bomber, I gassed and capped the rest. I guess one glass at a time is enough for me. This is the only Weihenstephaner I would have to think twice about buying again. (720 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -26.7%

Taken from notes. Consumed on 12/19 when the server was down.

A-Pours a hazy, pale yellow with a white, two-finger head.

S-Smells of banana and cloves, and that typical spicy Hefe yeast with some wheat notes.

T-Follows the nose with banana and cloves, the spicy yeast, and wheat notes. I don't taste any alcohol. This tastes really close to a Hefeweizen for me, I'm not really discerning any difference.

M-The mouthfeel is not my thing, but it's appropriate for style. It's effervescent and tingling on the tongue with a thin body.

D-This goes down easy considering ABV, but it's really not my kind of thing. This is my first weizenbock and I'm open to trying others, but probably not this one again. (705 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25%

Strong four-finger head. Good, spotty lace on the glass. Very cloudy. The liquid is straw colored.

Okay, something must be wrong. I smell creamed corn. I guess there is light wheat in the background. Very unusual nose, not exactly unappealing, but not expected either.

A smooth bodied beer--heavy body and light carbonation. The flavor is different from any other beer I've ever had and I can't say that I like it. There are elements of bocks and wheat beers as to be expected. There is a soured sweetness that takes some getting used to. The creamed corn remains and detracts from the flavors. Yet, it is a complex offering. Lots of cream flavors.

I can't recommend it, but I know that it is different enough to seek out to try something very different. (757 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -21%

Pours a hazy gold with towering white head that fades rapidly after the first sip.
Nose shows lots of banana and wheaty bread, some light sweet malt and a bit of pear. More like a hefe than a weizenbock. Light cloves show later on, along with spices reminiscent of nutmeg and coriander.
Flavour are again more like a hefe. Lots of banana and doughy yeast, the only difference is some soft alcohol and a hint of sweet clean malt.
Medium full body, moderately high carbonation. A little to full on.
I was expecting this to be darker, fruitier, maltier, etc. (555 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -20.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Average yellow color, with lot's of head! Actually spilled some over the top. Stuck around for just a bit, then disappeared. Lot's of bubbly action going on all over the place. Nice looking brew.

S - Not much going on. Lot's of wheat noticeable, and also lot's of dark fruit. A little sour for my "taste". Not a bad smelling beer, just not anything special.

T - Not bad. This is the 1st Weizenbock I've had in quite some time. Could just be I'm not a huge fan of the style. A strong amount of wheat is immediately noticeable, as is the fruit. Upon the aftertaste, the sourness of the dark fruits is tasted. Not a bad tasting beer, just not really my style.

M - Again decent, but nothing outstanding. Not dry, but even with the amount of carbonation seen after the pour, seemed a bit flat and dull once I got about halway through.

O - Not knocking the beer, as it's a good beer, just not really my style. I won't buy in a bottle again, but would like to try it on tap. (1,013 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours a bright, yellow, cloudy colour. You can actually see the haze forming distinct patterns in the cloudy ale. Crazy. The smell is nothing to write home about. It's grainy, like an adjunct lager. The taste is a whole different animal, though. The grain flavours are so light, that they are taken over by strong notes of banana, cloves, citrus peel, and spices. Are there spices in this beer? The notes are so strong that I would suspect so. These aren't all what I'm looking for in a weizenbock, typically, but it makes for an excellent all-around brew, no question. I'm used to a dominating banana note and a bite from a weizenbock. This has the banana, but too much orange peel, and it completely lacks any bite, which disappoints me a little. The flavour of this beer is typical of Old World traditional brews. Reminds me of a Belgian abbey ale. Those are good, so I can't rate this particularly poorly. I was really looking for more bite in my weizenbock, though. (970 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -20.3%

bought downtown after the 'beer meeting' ... pours a hazy golden yellow ... big foam, lacing is all of A+ .. very smooth and drinkable .. is there such a thing as a session weizenbock ... decent flavour, not as refined or full as aventinus.. decent and all that sherpa stuff.. gunga guluga... (292 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

Lemony yellow color with a bit of hazyness in it. Bubbles drifting upwards into the surface.
Smells yeasty and wheaty, and the flavor has a lemon flavor that brings some bitterness, or rather, a light tartness along. Some light alcohol, and some flowery esters.

Chad (267 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%

Very familiar with the Weihenstephan hefe beers, so was looking forward to drinking up the family tree.

Pours a bit on the murky side. A rather off putting murky yellow that reminds me, unfortunately, of some sort of infected fluid. Perhaps you think of other things. I think of infected juices. Billowy head that peters out in a few minutes leaving but a lonely bit of foam on the hefe glass.

Not much in the way of smells. A bit tart lemon, a bit yeast, a bit banana, a bit clove, and some boozy smell.

Taste is quite alcoholy. Kind of a cheap vodka feel, taste, and burn to it. It's like a hefeweizen that is neutered. The flavors are simple to the point of boring. There's some fizz, and quite a bit more sour than I expected. This has a touch of tart going on in it. No problems with the sourness of it. But sour seems out of line here.

Mouthfeel is a medium-full with a bit much on the fizz.

The alcohol is far too dominating and the flavor profile extremely muted. Not a bad deal for $2.89 for a 500ml bottle, but probably won't be going back for this one. (1,073 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

Had this on tap at the Bavarian Lodge. The pour is a nice cloudy yellow with an ample thick white head that hangs around well.

The smell and the taste were overwhelming banana with a little clove and a yeastiness; it reminded me of Franzikaner Weiss in that regard. The biggest issue for me was a lack of balance.

Not my favorite style, and not my favorite beer, but typical of the style. (390 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

thanks to cm for the bottle. stored with my stash, i suspect it should have been opened a couple months ago.

good head dies down to thin layer all across the top. minimal straggling of lacing. light golden color, sort of a deeper version of the color of pear flesh, small bit of haze. nose has a nice scent of pears, but there's also something there that makes me think of soap, which is a bit off-putting. tastes of pears and cloves (hint of banana as it warms), and the soapy smell thing isn't apparent on the tongue. feels good, better than i expected . . . i was expecting something thinner, and thought obviously not a stout (my preferred style), it has a good feel. oh, and the soapy smell issue seems to go away a bit as it warms . . . feel free to comment if you have more info on that. (796 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Ginormous gusher. WTF! Like I shook the bottle up before opening it.

Pours a 6 finger head with about 1 finger of beer. Murky pear-colored liquid. Smells clovey, hay, and honey during the pour. To the nose, more of the smae, plus dusty and some lighter fruits (pear, banana cream, strawberry).

Tastes medium-sweet with nice spiciness as a counter-point. Strong carbonation helps keep the sweet from sticking. Clove, nutmeg, and canned pear syrup. Finishes with a sharp sting from the carbonation. Meh drinkability. Light body. (528 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy yellow, almot green. White, creamy head. Beautiful, even if a bitt too fast to fall down.
At the smell light banana, cloves, maltiness, and light notes of apricot.
Malty taste, with wheat, banana. Full. Again apricot notes.
Resolute body, full.
Well malty aftertaste, with wheat, banana and fruitiness.
A light touch of bitterness and peppery in the end. (359 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

A recent find. I'm a big fan of Weihenstephan hefe, and this is basically the same thing, except on steroids.

Appearance is a cloudy, yellow-gold with a thin head. Smell is muted compared to a standard hefe, but bananas and cloves can still be detected. Taste has enhanced tanginess of the hefe, other flavors somewhat muted. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and not completely satisfying. Drinkability is good for a beer of this abv. All and all, not my favorite offering from Weihenstephan, but still very good. (505 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

A yawning, white tiger told me to buy this in a dream.

A ~ A vigorous pour from a 16.9oz bottle into my Duvel tulip produced a towering, foamy white head over a cloudy, golden honey colored brew. The head quickly compressed to a buttery, solid 1/4" foam with good retention. Tight beads of bubbles rise to the head. Pretty beer ~ I was expecting something a little darker.

S ~ Banana, bubblegum, ripe pears, faint hints of dark fruit & aromatic spice. Lemon rinds. Clove. Not unpleasant, again ~ not what I expected. In the nose this reminds me more of a Hefeweizen. Wheaty.

T ~ Spicy, aromatic clove & allspice. There is a malty, grain (wheat) presence that seems to balance the yeast & the fruity byproduct banana & bubblegum flavors. Nothing bitter, but a little sharp or peppery on the backside.

M/D ~ The mouth is smooth & malty. Nice level of carbonation & a nice spicy finish. A little heat at the back of the throat is a gentle reminder that this is 7.7% ABV. While I'm still confused with the classification & I admittedly have much to learn about beer in general & specific styles ~ I found this more balanced & less perfumey than other Hefeweizens that I've sampled. I had some pre- determined idea of a "BOCK" style beer based on ancient memories of my Grandpa's dark, rich bock beer. This ~ to me, was more of an Imperial Hefeweizen or perhaps a Hefe Hybrid. Still a nice diversion from my regular excursions into the beer universe...AND~ cheap too! Picked up a couple for $2.99 on sale at my local bottle shop.
This beer reminds me of the seasons changing, cool fall evenings, Thanksgiving, Christmas...but worth a try anytime if you can get it. Very approachable & recommended. (1,697 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle into tulip
A – 2 finger fizzy white head on a slightly hazy golden yellow brew, decent retention, no lacing 3.5
S – Yeasty, fruity, slight citrus banana and peach notes 3.5
T – Bananas more dominate as it warms, yeast, alcohol, and a light spice with a subtle sour 3.5
M – Above average carbonation but not the annoying mouth feel of highly carbonated beers, relatively light 3.5
O – A light highly drinkable high ABV beer, good but not something I’ll seek out unless I have the need to get drunk on a lawn chair some summer day 3.5 (551 characters)

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan