Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner VitusWeihenstephaner Vitus

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a Wiezen glass. Nice tight creamy white head and thin lacing. The color is a bright pale straw, hazy and not a great deal of carbonation. The aroma is a characteristic hefe smell with bananas. The taste is bananas and a thick sweet grainy nectar. There is a little spicy note and the malt leave a cloy aftertaste. A great brew from a traditional bavarian brewery.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Needed to be quick when I opened this as it immediately began to foam out of the bottle. This lead to a generous three quarter inch head for the duration of the drink.
Slightly spicy nose almost reminiscent of clove and honey and with a in interesting Duvel quality to it.
Very very pale for a weizenbock, it is hazy cloudy yellow and leaves intensely intricate lacing. Taste of melon and honey grew on me while drinking. A slight sappy juicy element in the mouth as well.

Pretty good but if I was Aventinus I wouldn't be too worried about the competition.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

***First try*** Time for a German beer! Hefeweizens is not my favorite style, but I do like beers the are a mixed style with hefeweizen. This is my third Weihenstephaner beer to try.

I poured this into one of my tall hefeweizen glasses and watched as the head formed and grew quickly to 3-4 fingers in height that was frothy and white, like it should be. It is a beautiful cloudy yellow color, like pineapple juice, and it is very bubbly.

It smells...I'm actually having a hard time figuring out how it smells because I'm cooking some chicken and garlic...DOH! It's very sweet and there is a lot of citrus, as is to be suspected. I get banana and clove as well, adding more complexity and spice. I get an essence of lemon as well on the end.

Taste is pretty much identical. It's smooth, but is bubbly and has a little bite to it. There is a lot of banana flavor in it with lemon coming at the end to give it some added bite and tang. The wheat is sort of underlying throughout.

I'd say this is a pretty good beer here. It's more appetizing than a regular hefeweizen to me, but I have to say that I expected it to be a bit different. I'm not sure what I expected it to be, but whatever.

***Second try*** With all of y'all - yes, us Texans will say that - discussing so much non-American beers I felt guilty about not buying a non-American beer in quite awhile! So I went to my local place and decided to buy a foreign beer in a style I've not drank in awhile. I chose Vitus because I didn't remember drinking it. When I got back to my place I checked on Facebook to see if I had tried it...and I had. Damn! But there's nothing wrong with that. You know, if you're hungry, and I am, drinking a wheat beer is a good choice. Want some bread? Drink a wheat beer!

It may take a little work but it's a must that the drinker gets the sediment from the bottom of the bottle into your glass. It's not in there for no reason! If you don't like it then...don't drink it. The head, like every wheat beer, pours very tall, extremely bubbly, and white. Color of the beer is a hazy, if you put in little sediment, to murky, if you put in it all, golden-yellow. Describing wheat beer colors is a little more difficult than describing other styles' colors but wheat beers have a sort of pastel color to them.

It smells very bready with lemony-citrus and banana notes.

Taste brings an unexpected alcohol flavor...but not a bad one. It's hidden under the dominant wheat and the citrus and banana notes keep up the flavor.

This was a good choice for a drink today where it was pretty warm in Texas. Like I've said, wheat beers aren't a favorite of mine so I won't appreciate this as much as someone else who does like weizenbiers (terrible German-English), but I can tell a quality beer and this one is it.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

I poured this 1 pint .9 oz. bottle into a wheat glass. I do see a date code, but it is not obvious if it is within the best by date.

A: cloudy honey gold with lemon-colored highlights, absolutely magnificent head: huge, billowing, and slowly cascading into a lovely cap with good lacing. This is a masterpiece.

S: there is that soapy smell again, but it goes with this style: the clove, bubblegum, and banana typical of the style mixes with a lemony citrus and a floral note.

T: a full-bodied bread-like malt greets you up front, then the clove hits, and mixes with a citrus zing and a white pepper note, the finish is dry, with hints of earthy/floral hops and just a hint of a grassy note at the very end.

M: medium-bodied, silky texture, and abundant carbonation make for a lovely palate-cleansing experience.

D: another world-class brew from Weihenstephaner. Awesome.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bottle into my Weihenstephaner weizen glass. This one pours a hazy yellow with tangerine highlights. A large head, still much more subdued than that of the regular hefe, grows from the pour and quickly fades away leaving no lacing to be found.

The smell is nearly identical to the Weihenstephaner hefe I just had before this - banana, clove, orange peel. This one seems to have a breadier nose however. Still fantastic.

Taste is in your face banana and I am in love with it. This just seems like an amped up version of the hefeweizen. Clove, much more banana, more spice and more alcohol make up its profile. I am not picking up on any dark fruits as I was expecting but a great beer nonetheless.

Medium bodied, prickly carbonation and nearly undetectable alcohol come together for a dangerously drinkable beer. This is such an amazing beer, especially for the price point. If only the weather was a bit* warmer out I think I'd be enjoying this even more.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

yet another solid one from a great brewery

A - hazy golden orange, thick head surges forth, but dissipates somewhat quickly

S - standard wheat and fruit, spicy must, pretty damn inviting

T - burst of wheat malt and light citrus followed by an incredible taste of toasted peanut butter and banana sandwich and smooth clove flavor, a slight hint of alcohol, but very passing

M - silky and bubbly

D - a great way to settle the tastebuds down a couple hours after eating some pot roast and spicy baked beans. do yourself a favor and let it warm a little

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Weihenstephaner Vitus, you have yet to fail me.

16.9 fl oz poured into a Weihenstephaner pilsener glass.

Initial offering is somewhat extravagant, the head is overflowing with joy. (You can tell this beer was made with love!)

I have nothing but good things to say about the scent of this ale, it's wheaty, hefeweissey, pleasant, subtle, and engaging.

The nose consists of dominant wheat, clove, and sugary banana notes, contrasted by the rediculous amounts of malts with the follow-through.

Taste, is what made me a believer - that all weizenbocks aren't created equally.

Mouthfeel is light, you'd swear you were drinking Weihenstephaner's Hefeweissbier, which is their lighter rendition of this masterpiece.

Sessionable? No... I do advise polishing off (2) Weihenstephaner Vitus' with a nice Kielbasa, or Knish dinner ensemble.

I poured this one into my Founders snifter. The appearance is a golden, cloudy, murky, dulled orange with a one finger bright white head. It looks near identical to their Hefe. It smells of wheat, yeast, coriander, light spices and some orange. I didn't expect that. It's definitely interesting. It tastes of yeast and oranges with a hint of cloves and banana. It's actually pretty similar to the Hefe. It drinks exceptionally smooth and medium in body. The only knock is that it can be a little sweet at times. Overall it's another good beer from Weihenstephaner.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

The color when poured was a light hazy yellow with loads of foam and some lace of the side of the glass. The smell was of yeast, banana's and a hint of all-spice. The flavor was the same as the aroma. Beauitfully balanced of fruit and spices along with the yeasty bread flavor. Sort of creamy with a sweet/bitter balance that is so pleasant that just thinking about the next sip makes your mouth water!!! What a pleasant surprise.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a $2.99 500 mL bottle...

Pours a hazy golden yellow, with an inch of fluffy foam. Looks great. Smell is fruity, bananas stand out the most, some citrus and spice. Taste is fruity, a little bit sweet, but in good balance. Finishes pretty dry. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but carbonation is spot on. Drinkability is through the roof, this is a dangerous beer if you have a bunch in the fridge on a hot day. This is probably my favorite beer to drink while outside grilling for some reason. Just something about it. Great brewery, great beer, great price.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

The beer poured a clear golden straw color with a fluffy head that retained fluff. The nose was loaded with banana and yeast esters, bready with wheat the wheat. Great nose that lead the way to a very complex beer loaded with banana and some clove, bready with a light note of ginger before a dry finish replays all the flavors in reverse order. Really interesting. A medium-plus carbonated beer with a nice mouth-feel. I don't seek this out but purchase a bottle from time to time and am always more than pleased, in fact I wonder why I don't buy bottles more often.

Edit/review
This beer is amazing. The spice plus the banana character makes this mind-boggling delicious. I think this is moving up into my all-time top ten and every-time I drink one I realize just how awesome it is.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

I poured from a bomber into a weizen glass, hazy yellow,/gold with very big head, no lacing. Lots of banana, clove on the nose. Lots of very ripe banana with enough clove for moderation. It has a sweet, lingering finish. This is an easy drinker, a damn fine beer, my new go to wheat beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Tall brown bottle with the Weihenstephaner label. No freshness date but just recently hit the shelves at my local beer store. Pours a hazy golden yellow, thick foamy white head, settles quickly. Great aroma, wheat malts, floral sweetness, ripe banana, yeasty notes that render aromas of bubble gum and clove. Medium to full bodied beer, fluffy, crisp and refreshing. Lots of tingle from the carbonation. Sweet up front, light honey and banana flavors, mild bitterness, some dry spiciness. This beer is delicious, totally refreshing and drinkable. What would you expect when they've been doing this since 1040.

Cheers!

Enjoyed on tap at Tops, inside a tasting snifter.

Pours a pale tangerine, very hazy. A one-finger head of fluffy white sits atop for a while before finally receding to ring, thick on one side and thin on the other.

Spicy and estery in the nose, with bananas, pears, apples, white pepper, coriander and vanilla. Damn fine.

The taste is akin to sweet pear syrup mulled with a lot of complex spices. Clove, coriander, perhaps raisins. Sweet with a very slightly drying finish. Tastes more like a heavy, sugary tripel than anything else.

Medium prickly carbonation amidst a smooth medium body that fizzes up the beer moderately as it moves. No noticeable alcohol amidst the sweetness.

Vitus is very Belgian in character. Sweet, flavorful, drinkable, but maybe a bit out of style.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Beautiful bright hazy orange with small white head. Aroma of orange, coriander, and springtime.
Flavor is light hints of vanilla, clementines, and golden delicious apples. All is brought together in a tart just slightly bitter finish which cleanses the pallate for another sip. And you want that next sip. This beer take the Heffe experience and cleans it up into a less wheaty/funky brew. Not that I don't like Heffes, but this is a great brew and style unto itself. And this is an outstanding example!! I want more of these!

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Near identical to Blue Moon. Pours a 3 finger head in a pilsner glass.

S - Apple, nothing spicey.

T - Slightly sweet, apple with slight orange finish.

M - Light, refreshing, springy. Slightly alcoholic, acidic fruit aftertaste.

D - Very drinkable beer, no harshness.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a bottle. The beer pours a vibrant, bubbly gold, with a nice fluffy white head, about 1 inch, that dissipates into a thin film over the course of a minute or two. The aromas blast out from the bottle as you pour. Smells of flowers, coriander, and sweet fruit. The beer has a heavy spice forward flavor, with the coriander (and possibly pepper?) riding on top of a round, sweet malty foundation. Bits of citrus throughout, maybe orange and grapefruit, but hard to pinpoint with the spices. The beer is full and bold in mouth, with a transition to a slightly sour, spicy aftertaste. The citrus notes linger through to the end, also, and make your mouth pucker a bit when added to the sour notes. The finish is a bit dry, and makes you eager for that next mouthful. Good flavors and complex mouthfeel make this a pretty good damn beer in my book.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 ml, BB date reads 15.September 2011 therefore quite a fresh one, into tulip.
Hazy straw-yellow colored body topped by thick, rather low white head that slowly recedes and sticks to the walls. Weizenbock is essentially a Dunkelweizen brewed to the strength of a (Doppel)bock, however, the pale visual appearance of Vitus is reminiscent more of a Hefeweizen than Dunkleweizen. Aroma is Doppelbock-like sweetness with banana esters, clove phenolics and bready malt. A careful sniffing session reveals plum & raisin-like fruitiness that gets more prominent as the beer warms. Very faint alcohol shines through. Flavor is rich sweetness (suggesting the malt hasn't beet fermented thoroughly) with banana, clove and wheat. Hop flavor is virtually absent and the finish is somewhat balanced by light hoppy bitterness and very faint alcohol. The palate is sweet, body medium-full with very smooth creamy texture and moderate carbonation. As stated above, the appearance of Vitus resembles a good Hefeweizen although it is easily distinguished from the later by having a minor head and fuller body. There could be more melanoidin & dark fruit character but it's a very decent beer nevertheless.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

16.9 oz bottle ~ poured into a weizen glass

Appearance- Pours a dark gold / orangish color lots of active carbonation, a large billowing white head. Pouring in the yeast hazes things up a bit as it slowly disperses. Great head retention and lacing. Beer looks great.

Smell- Clove, banana, bubblegum. Bready, light toasted malts.

Taste- Taste follows the aroma. This deffinitly has much more malt character than their hefe. It has more of a carmel flavor and breadyness. A light peppery spice. All the hefe characteristics are in there, but the yeast and the sweetness is much less pronounced, improving this over their hefe, per my taste. Also picking up a slight apple taste. The finish is clean, not to lingering.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation, very smooth. ABVs go undetected. This aspect is very nice.

Overall- Goes down smooth and easy. If you havnt noticed yet, I much prefer this to the hefe, which I find almost cloying. I could easily drink a few of these. Recomended, I have the aventinus up next, we shall see which is better.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

This is my 100th review and I am proud that it is such a great beer. Weihenstephaner makes so many great beers, everything I have tried from th has been phenomenal and this is no different. I recently tried a few weizenbocks and can now say that this is my favorite. It pours a hazy dark gold color with a tall off white head that slowly dissipates, leaving some lacing in my glass. Smell is mostly wheat, but there also notes of banana and clove. Taste is similar, complex with wheat, bready malt, banana and clove notes and a touch of hops. It is sort of fruity and spicy but the backbone is still the wheat. Mouthfeel is medium/heavy with average carbonation. Drinkability is superb. This beer is everything I love about Hefeweizens, Dunkelweizens and Maibocks rolled into one, balanced perfectly and with just the right mouthfeel. Great beer!

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

500 ml bottle poured into my Franziskaner Weissbier glass.

A- Body is a uniformly cloudy pale yellow hue. Pours with a massice 3 figner+ foamy white head-which eventually fades to a retains nicely at one finger. Some lacing is left behind in the glass. A constant stream of bubbles can be seen steadily rising to the top.

S- This brew pretty much has the nose of a classic German Hefe. Bready yeast is the main character-but a mild amount of clove and banana come through as well-the overall impression of the nose is soft.

T- Clove is the main character upfront with a mild banana and bready yeast backbone. The finish is dry and slightly peppery with a hint of floral hops and a nice smooth bready yeast backbone-and a touch of dry alcohol heat.

M- High tingly carbonation and a lightweight smooth and slightly bready body.

D- This beer is a winner- I can't believe I didnt try it until now- The overall profile is very similar to this brewery's hefe weizen-only its the imperial version- the broadness of the weizenbock style never ceases to amaze me-but if there were a classic example-this would be it!

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

A-Mildly,murky golden/peach with a 1 1/2 inch pristine white crown.Great retention and slight but uniform rings of sticky lacing.

S-Undeniably Weihenstephaner.Slightly medicinal clove,sweet caramelized banana and bread dough.

T-Clove,caramelized banana,Juicy Fruit gum and raw sugar.

M-Great carbonation.Light and lively with a silky finish.

D-No way this is 7.7% ABV.Extremely sessionable.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Half liter bottle from State Line Liquors for about tree fitty. Poured into a maibock glass (squat version of a weizen glass).

Appearance (4): Super cloudy and bright yellowish orange. Streamers of carbonation last forever. Several fingers of head reduces to a thick half finger layer of light cream tiny bubbles. Very little lacing.

Aroma (4.5): Super strong clove aroma and over-ripe banana. A faint boozy smell but not much. Bready yeast smells and faint floral hops. The light hops mingle with a slightly sweet spiciness.

Taste (4.5): Orange, fruity flavors up front. Strong banana and some sweetness in the middle. The bready, yeasty flavor lingers along with the floral hops. Not much apparent alcohol.

Mouthfeel (4): Fairly effervescent and light to medium bodied despite the sweetness. A bit dry in the finish.

Drinkability (3.5): Very tasty but the flavors are strong and there is a bit of booziness that lingers in the mouth although never that discernible in the taste. I could put these down quickly but would be feeling it just as quickly.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden into my Erdinger glass yielding a thick, frothy, milky head, as like most Weihenstephaner. The amount of carbonation was well illustrated by the active bubbling taking place below. I was expecting a Weizenbock to be dark but this one looks more like a less hazy Hefeweizen. (4.5)

S - Primarily banana esters and wheat malts on the nose; slightly phenolic with an unexpected dash of salty spices. (3.5)

T - Upfront notes of banana phenols with light biscuity/bready notes, a good amount of spices in the middle and a strong wheat background; light caramel sweetness throughout, lending this a different touch from the regular Weizens (4)

M - Medium-bodied thickness with the right amount of carbonation and a foamy smooth texture going down creamy easy (4.5)

D - Feels like a lightly caramelized Hefe and perhaps, slightly more phenolic and definitely heavier; you can't go wrong with drinkability on a Weihenstephaner with their world class flavors and feel. However, if I wanted something more refreshing, I will stick with the brewery's Hefe Weissbier (4.5)

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Cloudy lemon color with a very large head that held on for a long time. A weizenbock that looks identical to a hefeweizen instead of being much darker. Just a little lacing is left on my weizen glass. Big, brassy, hefeweizen aromas here. Hints of banana, cloves, and a little granery dust aroma. Flavor is huge wheat beer. Bananas and bubblegum with just a small dose of cloves. If you are a fan of weizens, then this beer is a must for you. A little darker malt may have complimented this beer further, but it is quite sucessful as is. One of the more fuller wheat beers I have had. Carbonation is just a tick low as it seems just a little flat, but otherwise has a nice texture. For some reason this beer does not make it to the Minnesota market. I wish it did.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan