Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I poured some of my 16.9 oz bottle into a tall pub glass...

The beer was a lemonade yellow color with a huge 4 inch head that was white and foamy. It smells strongly of lemon, banana, clove and wheat. Very pleasant. The taste is strong on clove and spice along with banana, lemon and wheat. There is a bit of yeast in the aftertaste. The beer is light with a ton of soft, bubbly carbonation, it is just a tad warming but I would have never guessed it to be 7.7%. No flaws in this one, it will go well with my german sausage links I just grilled.

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Pours into a Wheat glass a cloudy bright yellow with a nice two to three finger semi rocky white head.

Nose is lemony, bannany, spicy and a little bit of alcohol.

Really mellow for it's strength yet still medium bodied and full of cloves, lemons bananas and even a little apples. Some hot alcohol hits you up front. Slightly tart wheatiness and nice vibrant carbonation. Definetly getting better as I continue drinking and as it warms up a little.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Golden pour with a large head. Lacy cling to the glass

S: Initially a strong banana nose changing to a citrusy note later on.

T: Initially banana followed by a breadiness and clove spiciness. Sweet throughout however without a lingering aftertaste(dry finish). Got a sense of bubblegum in there as well at some point though not all the way through the bottle.

M: Likely personal preference however would like a little heavier mouthfeel.

D: Very drinkable and went perfect with my banh mi pork sandwich.

Good multi bottle drinking beer. Enough flavor to keep you interested without totally overwhelming your palate. Curious to try the Adventinus in comparision

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Cloudy lemon yellow. Huge thick white head even with a slow pour. Good retention and clumpy lacing.

Smells of spicy yeast (mild clove) and fruit, with a little bite from the alcohol.

Bready malt base with a sweet fruitiness (fresh banana, apple, pear). Sweet throughout the sip; could use a little grassy/earthy hop for a bit more balance, but doesn't necessarily need it. Alcohol is well blended and stays in the background.

Smooth, almost creamy, near perfect mouthfeel. High carbonation keeps the sweetness from turning syrupy.

No problems finishing this. Good stuff.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance- Pours a golden/orange color. Huge pillowing head that subsides quicker than your average weizen due to the alcohol. Nice haze after full inclusion of all the yeast from the final pour. Not much lacing at all.

Smell- The usual suspects: clove, banana, bubblegum. Also of note is some bready, light toasted malts.

Taste- Taste follows the aroma. Heavy on the grains. Also banana, clove. There is also some tart lemon flavor near the backside and definitely some spicy white pepper on the finish. Less sweetness comes through than with most hefeweizens. Dry at the end. There is more lingering spice than sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and good carbonation, Smooth and creamy despite the higher ABV.

Drinkability/Overall- Goes down smooth and easy. Not as good as the Aventinus but still a dang good beer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours cloudy honey gold with towers of pure white foam that settle to a ring. Multi-faceted nose: wax, banana chips, lemon, cardamon and lavender. Madeleine and lemon ice up front, some Juicy fruit notes in the middle (not too heavy on the banana) and herbal, lemongrassy hops. Slight spice to end, and slow fading creamy wheat smoothness. Soft, round, medium, some chew.

Amazing balance and subtlety. Doesn't taste 5%, never mind almost 8%. One of the best weizens I've had.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a heff glass at 43 degrees.

Appearance: A monster three finger head that has decent retention. The head is white, foamy, bubbly, and frothy. The color of the beer is a straw color with a yeast haziness. There is a lot of carbonation in the beer. The head left some lacing on the glass. The clarity is hazy.

Nose: A rich bready aroma, phenols, cloves, citrus, toasty malt, and a floral bouquet. There are notes of wood, alcohol and yeast.

Taste: A very deep bready body flavor, phenols, cloves, citrus, toasty, malt and floral bouquet. The alcohol is a tad overpowering followed by the yeast.

Mouthfeel: A cloying sweetness, carbonated, and warming.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium light and the finish is medium. This beer has some serious flavor nice clove and citrus with a good alcohol warming. It is an easy drinking beer that is medium light with a punch.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

500mL bottle, part of Amanti Vino's Beer of the Month program, poured into my Duvel tulip.

Vitus pours a very surprisingly light golden yellow, with a massive, fluffy white head. It easily fills up more than half the glass, but fades a litle too quickly for my taste. Similarly, lacing left behind is a bit spotty.The nose is extremely powerful, and smells a bit like a hefeweizen on steroids. There's an additional bit of mat sweetness though, to balance out the massive banana and (moreso) clove. The extra malt shows up on my palate as well, as there's an increased vanilla sweetness from having more wheat in the grain bill. There's also a slight warming sensation from alcohol, which is a solid addition to the beer. Still though, this one's a massive clove/banana weiss yeast bomb. The mouthfeel is truly remarkable though. I'm half convinced that Weihenstephan made some kind of deal with the devil to get a body this light on a beer this big/flavorful. Carbonation is almost frantic (without becoming overbearing), and the result is a mouthfeel that is the definition of effervescent. Vitus basically an imperial hefe, as opposed to many weizenbocks incorporating some darker malts, but it's nonetheless world class.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Pours a very nice yellow-orange color with a really thick head.

S: Citrusy hops, floral ethers.

T: Hints of banana, clove and wheat similar to a hefeweizen.

M: Great on the palate considering it's a 7.7% abv, truly well done.

D: This is a great weizenbock. I love the flavor and it's very drinkable.

This to me can be a great higher alcohol session beer. It's extremely tastey and drinkable.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Got to hand it to them poured a two inch solid head in my glass with a hazy yellow in color beer. Expected darker for the ABV.

S - Wow I got solid banana and lemon with a wheat base. Mild bready malt too, this beer smells great!

T - Smooth and less boozy than most Weizenbock's I ever had. Tastes of solid banana a bit of lemon rind and a balanced wheat base that brings it together.

M - Light to medium surprisingly. Especially for such a big body drinks very well.

D - I would consider getting it again. At a 4 dollar price tag I felt I paid too much but drinking it, fully worth the price. If you can find it cheaper I would say pick it up!

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

16.9oz brown bottle purchased at McKinnon's in Salem. Pours a murky yellow body with a good two inches of off-white head. Smells like orange, pith, spice, and banana. Banana, pith, citrus, bread, and nut comprise the flavor. Medium to full in body with ample carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden. Very drinkable, pleasant, and complex. An excellent Weizenbock.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a Wiezen glass. Nice tight creamy white head and thin lacing. The color is a bright pale straw, hazy and not a great deal of carbonation. The aroma is a characteristic hefe smell with bananas. The taste is bananas and a thick sweet grainy nectar. There is a little spicy note and the malt leave a cloy aftertaste. A great brew from a traditional bavarian brewery.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Needed to be quick when I opened this as it immediately began to foam out of the bottle. This lead to a generous three quarter inch head for the duration of the drink.
Slightly spicy nose almost reminiscent of clove and honey and with a in interesting Duvel quality to it.
Very very pale for a weizenbock, it is hazy cloudy yellow and leaves intensely intricate lacing. Taste of melon and honey grew on me while drinking. A slight sappy juicy element in the mouth as well.

Pretty good but if I was Aventinus I wouldn't be too worried about the competition.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

***First try*** Time for a German beer! Hefeweizens is not my favorite style, but I do like beers the are a mixed style with hefeweizen. This is my third Weihenstephaner beer to try.

I poured this into one of my tall hefeweizen glasses and watched as the head formed and grew quickly to 3-4 fingers in height that was frothy and white, like it should be. It is a beautiful cloudy yellow color, like pineapple juice, and it is very bubbly.

It smells...I'm actually having a hard time figuring out how it smells because I'm cooking some chicken and garlic...DOH! It's very sweet and there is a lot of citrus, as is to be suspected. I get banana and clove as well, adding more complexity and spice. I get an essence of lemon as well on the end.

Taste is pretty much identical. It's smooth, but is bubbly and has a little bite to it. There is a lot of banana flavor in it with lemon coming at the end to give it some added bite and tang. The wheat is sort of underlying throughout.

I'd say this is a pretty good beer here. It's more appetizing than a regular hefeweizen to me, but I have to say that I expected it to be a bit different. I'm not sure what I expected it to be, but whatever.

***Second try*** With all of y'all - yes, us Texans will say that - discussing so much non-American beers I felt guilty about not buying a non-American beer in quite awhile! So I went to my local place and decided to buy a foreign beer in a style I've not drank in awhile. I chose Vitus because I didn't remember drinking it. When I got back to my place I checked on Facebook to see if I had tried it...and I had. Damn! But there's nothing wrong with that. You know, if you're hungry, and I am, drinking a wheat beer is a good choice. Want some bread? Drink a wheat beer!

It may take a little work but it's a must that the drinker gets the sediment from the bottom of the bottle into your glass. It's not in there for no reason! If you don't like it then...don't drink it. The head, like every wheat beer, pours very tall, extremely bubbly, and white. Color of the beer is a hazy, if you put in little sediment, to murky, if you put in it all, golden-yellow. Describing wheat beer colors is a little more difficult than describing other styles' colors but wheat beers have a sort of pastel color to them.

It smells very bready with lemony-citrus and banana notes.

Taste brings an unexpected alcohol flavor...but not a bad one. It's hidden under the dominant wheat and the citrus and banana notes keep up the flavor.

This was a good choice for a drink today where it was pretty warm in Texas. Like I've said, wheat beers aren't a favorite of mine so I won't appreciate this as much as someone else who does like weizenbiers (terrible German-English), but I can tell a quality beer and this one is it.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

I poured this 1 pint .9 oz. bottle into a wheat glass. I do see a date code, but it is not obvious if it is within the best by date.

A: cloudy honey gold with lemon-colored highlights, absolutely magnificent head: huge, billowing, and slowly cascading into a lovely cap with good lacing. This is a masterpiece.

S: there is that soapy smell again, but it goes with this style: the clove, bubblegum, and banana typical of the style mixes with a lemony citrus and a floral note.

T: a full-bodied bread-like malt greets you up front, then the clove hits, and mixes with a citrus zing and a white pepper note, the finish is dry, with hints of earthy/floral hops and just a hint of a grassy note at the very end.

M: medium-bodied, silky texture, and abundant carbonation make for a lovely palate-cleansing experience.

D: another world-class brew from Weihenstephaner. Awesome.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bottle into my Weihenstephaner weizen glass. This one pours a hazy yellow with tangerine highlights. A large head, still much more subdued than that of the regular hefe, grows from the pour and quickly fades away leaving no lacing to be found.

The smell is nearly identical to the Weihenstephaner hefe I just had before this - banana, clove, orange peel. This one seems to have a breadier nose however. Still fantastic.

Taste is in your face banana and I am in love with it. This just seems like an amped up version of the hefeweizen. Clove, much more banana, more spice and more alcohol make up its profile. I am not picking up on any dark fruits as I was expecting but a great beer nonetheless.

Medium bodied, prickly carbonation and nearly undetectable alcohol come together for a dangerously drinkable beer. This is such an amazing beer, especially for the price point. If only the weather was a bit* warmer out I think I'd be enjoying this even more.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

yet another solid one from a great brewery

A - hazy golden orange, thick head surges forth, but dissipates somewhat quickly

S - standard wheat and fruit, spicy must, pretty damn inviting

T - burst of wheat malt and light citrus followed by an incredible taste of toasted peanut butter and banana sandwich and smooth clove flavor, a slight hint of alcohol, but very passing

M - silky and bubbly

D - a great way to settle the tastebuds down a couple hours after eating some pot roast and spicy baked beans. do yourself a favor and let it warm a little

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Weihenstephaner Vitus, you have yet to fail me.

16.9 fl oz poured into a Weihenstephaner pilsener glass.

Initial offering is somewhat extravagant, the head is overflowing with joy. (You can tell this beer was made with love!)

I have nothing but good things to say about the scent of this ale, it's wheaty, hefeweissey, pleasant, subtle, and engaging.

The nose consists of dominant wheat, clove, and sugary banana notes, contrasted by the rediculous amounts of malts with the follow-through.

Taste, is what made me a believer - that all weizenbocks aren't created equally.

Mouthfeel is light, you'd swear you were drinking Weihenstephaner's Hefeweissbier, which is their lighter rendition of this masterpiece.

Sessionable? No... I do advise polishing off (2) Weihenstephaner Vitus' with a nice Kielbasa, or Knish dinner ensemble.

I poured this one into my Founders snifter. The appearance is a golden, cloudy, murky, dulled orange with a one finger bright white head. It looks near identical to their Hefe. It smells of wheat, yeast, coriander, light spices and some orange. I didn't expect that. It's definitely interesting. It tastes of yeast and oranges with a hint of cloves and banana. It's actually pretty similar to the Hefe. It drinks exceptionally smooth and medium in body. The only knock is that it can be a little sweet at times. Overall it's another good beer from Weihenstephaner.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

The color when poured was a light hazy yellow with loads of foam and some lace of the side of the glass. The smell was of yeast, banana's and a hint of all-spice. The flavor was the same as the aroma. Beauitfully balanced of fruit and spices along with the yeasty bread flavor. Sort of creamy with a sweet/bitter balance that is so pleasant that just thinking about the next sip makes your mouth water!!! What a pleasant surprise.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a $2.99 500 mL bottle...

Pours a hazy golden yellow, with an inch of fluffy foam. Looks great. Smell is fruity, bananas stand out the most, some citrus and spice. Taste is fruity, a little bit sweet, but in good balance. Finishes pretty dry. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but carbonation is spot on. Drinkability is through the roof, this is a dangerous beer if you have a bunch in the fridge on a hot day. This is probably my favorite beer to drink while outside grilling for some reason. Just something about it. Great brewery, great beer, great price.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

The beer poured a clear golden straw color with a fluffy head that retained fluff. The nose was loaded with banana and yeast esters, bready with wheat the wheat. Great nose that lead the way to a very complex beer loaded with banana and some clove, bready with a light note of ginger before a dry finish replays all the flavors in reverse order. Really interesting. A medium-plus carbonated beer with a nice mouth-feel. I don't seek this out but purchase a bottle from time to time and am always more than pleased, in fact I wonder why I don't buy bottles more often.

Edit/review
This beer is amazing. The spice plus the banana character makes this mind-boggling delicious. I think this is moving up into my all-time top ten and every-time I drink one I realize just how awesome it is.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

I poured from a bomber into a weizen glass, hazy yellow,/gold with very big head, no lacing. Lots of banana, clove on the nose. Lots of very ripe banana with enough clove for moderation. It has a sweet, lingering finish. This is an easy drinker, a damn fine beer, my new go to wheat beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Tall brown bottle with the Weihenstephaner label. No freshness date but just recently hit the shelves at my local beer store. Pours a hazy golden yellow, thick foamy white head, settles quickly. Great aroma, wheat malts, floral sweetness, ripe banana, yeasty notes that render aromas of bubble gum and clove. Medium to full bodied beer, fluffy, crisp and refreshing. Lots of tingle from the carbonation. Sweet up front, light honey and banana flavors, mild bitterness, some dry spiciness. This beer is delicious, totally refreshing and drinkable. What would you expect when they've been doing this since 1040.

Cheers!

Enjoyed on tap at Tops, inside a tasting snifter.

Pours a pale tangerine, very hazy. A one-finger head of fluffy white sits atop for a while before finally receding to ring, thick on one side and thin on the other.

Spicy and estery in the nose, with bananas, pears, apples, white pepper, coriander and vanilla. Damn fine.

The taste is akin to sweet pear syrup mulled with a lot of complex spices. Clove, coriander, perhaps raisins. Sweet with a very slightly drying finish. Tastes more like a heavy, sugary tripel than anything else.

Medium prickly carbonation amidst a smooth medium body that fizzes up the beer moderately as it moves. No noticeable alcohol amidst the sweetness.

Vitus is very Belgian in character. Sweet, flavorful, drinkable, but maybe a bit out of style.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan