Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner VitusWeihenstephaner Vitus

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -4%

ST: One pint in bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: It has a hazy orange hue and a huge fluffy white head that takes time to settle down. It does leave some streaky lacing, and it turns gold when held to the light.

S: This beer has a wonderful aroma. Citrus, spice (clove), bread, and peaches.

T: Banana, clove, bread, and some nutty flavors dominate. There is ample spice and crispness in a relatively dry finish with a hint of alcohol left in the back of the throat.

M: Medium body and dry.

D: It would be hard to know that this beer is 7.7 percent alcohol. Since it has a dry finish, the beer is refreshing as well.

Overall: This is a great beer. I am a huge fan of Weihenstephaner, and a huge fan of weis beers, and this beer confirms why. It has a wonderful aroma, flavors that are balanced and elegant, and a nice crisp, dryer finish. Though there is a tinge of alcohol on the finish, it is hard to believe the 7.7 percent alcohol labeled on the bottle. Once again, an amazing beer by Weihenstephaner.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Violently carbonated, leading to a superb creamy head. A smudge of haziness clouds the glass. Classic.

S: Kind of subdued here. Banana & clove are there as usual, with a hint of nutmeg or cinnamon.

T: Tropical fruit (papaya mainly) dominates here, clove, banana, & mandarin orange flavors. Bit of a toffee & anise flavor too. Belgian-esque. Some hotness on the aftertaste. Hardly any hops. Really tasty... a hefe on steroids.

M/D: Perfect carbonation here, this beer drinks like water.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Dirty straw yellow body with a crazy amount of tiny carbonation bubbles. Large white head that dissipated into a foamy covering and left a light lacing behind.

A- Light clove banana smell. Some alcohol hints.

T- Cloves hit the hardest with kindof an overall banana flavor around everything. Nice spicy aftertaste. Quite sweet.

M- Medium body, the sweetness is almost cloying, but doesn't coat my mouth enough. High carbonation.

D- I wanted a good Weizenbock for the cold weather I was leaning towards Aventis, but then I saw this. It's definitely worth a drink.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

I've been wanting to try this one for a long time, even though it's not my favorite style, mostly because of Coloradobobs. Pours a pale yellow color with a hazy golden hue in the center. Large white tops things off and recedes slowly. Typical wheat beer smell, mostly banana and clove, with a touch of pale malt and slightly hoppy/herbal background, but this mostly about the sweet wheat. Taste is wonderful! Delicious citrusy notes, banana as in the nose, with a touch of alcohol and perhaps some licorice on the dry finish. I really like that this weizenbock is not a dunkel variety. This tastes like a standard Hefe with the flavor and booze ramped up just a few notches. Carbonation is a bit high at first, but it starts to settle down mid-glass with some gentle swirling, medium body. Good stuff here, very drinkable despite the high(er) ABV.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

I bought three wheat beers this afternoon.This W.Vitus and Ayinger Weizenbock,and Bells Winter White Ale these beers taste very similar.

Vitus pours a hazy golden color,also starts out with a nice head.The taste has cloves and banana flavor with a small hint of lemon.THis is a beer I could enjoy all evening, as far as drinkiability.I also like the design of the labels on the bottles too.Hey I can dig it.Great beer for any time of the year.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

One of the worlds great beers and I meet up for the first time, we have somehow missed each other over the years. We come together in Cork, Ireland of all places, I saw and bought this bottle in 'The Abbot's Ale House', and reviewed it in my hotel lounge. Sadly the glass used was a half-pint tumbler, I would have loved the correct glass.

The beer poured a lovely lemony yellow, slightly cloudy, almost murky. A pure white head sat on top for both pours, the beer a darker lemon colour on the second pour.

The smells were a fantastic mix, yeast, vanilla, sweet banana and semi-sour cooking apples all rolled into one.

The taste held all the aroma ingrediants along with some grapefruit citrus hints added. Unusually for this style, a maltiness could also be found in the wonderful amalgamation of flavours.

I was at one with the world while drinking this beauty. The 7.7%ABV just sits within the flavours without being noticed, a truely amazing and one-off beer (as ColoradoBobs has been telling me for years).

3.5/5  rDev -18%

I sit here about to chug down my Vitus, and I hesitate. Why? What's the hold up you ask? Well, besides the slow realization of how badass the name Vitus is, I'm also listening to the soundtrack to Mac and Me. I recently rewatched this retarded retro 80s family flick, and let me tell you...it was awesome. And the song I'm grooving to right now, You're Not a Stranger Anymore...has succeeded in putting me in a state of all-knowing awareness. I salute Mac and Me and it's tubular soundtrack with a pint of the ultra manly, regal and badass, Vitus.

This here Weizenbock looks the good stuff. A light/dark golden hazy caramel look that makes me think of a scarecrow; an initial sudsy and soapy head, solid retention and lace...it's an awesome looking beer.

Uh-oh spagettios!!! This ain't doing it. Wait, hold up, let me take a bit here...nope. Ya know why? Because I don't like the smell of bananas. And ya know another thing, I don't like the smell of cloves very much either. *sniff* There's something else there too....something doctor appointment-y. But the kicker here is, it truly does have a strong and appealing taste - that is, if you like these smells/tastes - but I'm not a blowhard, I know if it's delivers a calculated taste then that's a good thing.

The nose hasn't lied. It's banana beer. Banana bread beer? Son of a bitch! I really wanted to like this badass beer!! King Vitus...you have forsaken me! But seriously, the smell is worse than the taste for me. It's not really that strong...and it's pretty tasty.

The mouthfeel is quite nice though. Quite nice indeed! Soft, mellow, creamy, yet a dry finish that pin-points the very hidden alcohol. Good feel. Feels like if you were choking on boobs.

Drinkability for ya boy ain't the bees knees if ya feel me. For me, ya boy, it's a bit too potent in the banana area. See, bananas are just too damn bland for me. I like my fruits to be pippy and tasty....not long...ya feel me? Yeah, you feel me. This is a review that you should take zero advice from though, as it's a well loved beer...I just don't like penis fruit!!! *blasts Take Me, I'll Follow You*

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

A solidly delicious strong wheat beer from a line of consistently excellent beers. Doesn't seem to me to follow the traditional guidelines for (or my experiences with) a weizenbock (for instance, Aventinus), notably the color and absence of "dark" fruit flavors. Vitus, when it rises to an ideal temp, roughly in the mid-to-high 50s, comes across as a slightly more orange-colored version of their hefeweizen, a little bolder in the bready malt presence (in aroma, flavor, and feel), with some lovely (in order of intensity) vaguely citrus fruit flavors: orange, lemon, and banana - orange much more than the other two, which are merely hinted at in the aroma and taste, respectively.

Summarizing - It poured from the growler with an initial swell of soft, creamy head, but it soon deflated, leaving a thin misty blanket of suds on top of the, as I mentioned, autumn-orange tinged body - hazy bordering on cloudy. Fresh-baked, doughy bread aromas with faintly sticky navel orange notes as well. The alcohol is wonderfully obfuscated in the aroma and the taste, too, not even causing much of a stir in the finish. The moderate, yet assertive, breadiness and esters balance out superbly, really forming the backbone of the taste. Tartness from the wheat kept in check, just about a whisper. And as I also said, the best in every facet of this beer comes to the fore when it's lost its chill. A wholly satisfying, smooth and hearty feel, at the same time finishing light and refreshing for the style. Let it warm - to where it's actually almost warm - and you'll get the most out of it. Quite enjoyable, quintessentially German.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

A-Pours a slightly murky golden color with a large head of foam that quickly dissapears.
S-Cloves, bananas and yeast.
T-There is a sweetness of the banana and cloves up front with a bitter hoppy finish and malty afternotes.
M-Light feel but not thin. The carbonation of this beer is moderated to high.
D-This is a nice wheat beer and easily drinkable and refreshing.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Enjoyed around a bonfire on a warm November night in Ohio. This beer pours a surprisingly pale and fairly clear yellow with a thick, pillowy head. This was the first time that I've had this beer and was surprised by how pale it was. Aroma is of strong banana, clove, and wheat. This is one of the best smelling beers that I've had, not very surprising for a Weihenstephaner wheat beer. The flavor is similar to an imperialized hefeweizen. Strong banana and very strong clove. Wheat is present but is not as strong as the regular Weihenstephaner hefe. Just a tinge of faint cocoa is noted at the end of the swallow. Simply fantastic. Drinkability is incredibly high for a 7.7 abv beer. It's hard to drink this beer slow it's so good! Highly recommended for hefeweizen lovers.

2.78/5  rDev -34.9%

Bomber, bottled on 3/9/10, poured into a wheat beer glass (reviewed in October).

I'm going to say this right off the bat, I didn't like this beer... at all. Considering the fact that I loved their Hefeweizen and Hefeweizen Dark I am willing to give Weihenstephaner the benefit of the doubt and believe I might have got a battle or old bottle.

A: Looks exactly like the Hefeweissbier, dark golden color, hazy, massive 3-finger foamy head that lasts forever and leaves good lacing.

S: Right away I knew either something was wrong or this wasn't for me. The banana and over-ripe fruit was just WAY to strong. It smelled like someone stuck a 2 week old black banana up my nose. I knew there were some other flavors and spices in there, but it just didn't come through.

T: Oh yeah, way to robust. I like bold flavored beers, but this just tastes like an old banana. I can taste some other fruits, bread, yeast, and esters when the initial burst mellows out, but it's still really sweet and old tasting.

M: I gave this a 4.0 because although I don't like the taste, the mouth feel is pretty much the same as the hefes.

D: I couldn't finish this and ended up pouring out that last 1/3 of the glass.

I really want to try a fresh bottle of this again because I love wWeihenstephaner and it just didn't seem right.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Lemony yellow color with a bit of hazyness in it. Bubbles drifting upwards into the surface.
Smells yeasty and wheaty, and the flavor has a lemon flavor that brings some bitterness, or rather, a light tartness along. Some light alcohol, and some flowery esters.

Chad

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a hazy golden color with a 4 finger frothy white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Lemon, wheat, clove, banana and spices. Very strong aroma.

Taste: Clove and banana up front followed by bread and spices in the middle and ending with a light hoppy bitterness. Aftertaste is semi-dry with hints of banana.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium-bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. A little slick feeling on the tongue.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol is well masked so you could knock back a couple pints without much trouble.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. Another fine offering from the world's oldest brewery.

This pours so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye...Awesome lemony amber in color, heavily carbonated with a cloudy haze to it, pours a fist-high head of creamy, marshmallowy goodness that persist until you drink it and laces up the entire glass. Probably best-looking pour I've ever seen. The picture above almost doesn't do this justice. Aromas are to be expected - slightly metallic, some citrus fruit along with the peels, nice clove-like or coriander notes in the background. Nothing elite, but perfectly to style. Flavor is where this slightly falls off. Not robust enough all the way through the drink. Upfront, it's excellent - intense wheat blasts into a long, crisp lemon citrus...Finish dies a little and gets a tad thin, and the 7.7% ABV of the brew makes itself apparent here as well, but only a little. This is actually great beer, with only minor flaws, and is super well-priced at $2.69/pint+.9oz. bottle. Really worth keeping in the fridge all the time.

What I like most: The beautiful appearance.

What I Like least: The thinner than expected finish.

Verdict: Excellent and super-well-priced brew. Must find.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Weihenstephaner, brewers of the classic Hefeweizen, have essentially taken the same beer and made it stronger. Such a simple but fantastic idea.

While most weizenbocks look more like a dunkelweizen, this one has the paler orangish-yellow typically found in a hefe. An impressive head rises above with a sticky and rocky foam about 3 fingers thick.

Aroma is full of yeasty phenolics and fruitiness. Banana comes through strong with hints of spice followed by a strong bready malt aroma. Reminiscent of freshly baked banana bread.

Taste is right in line with the aroma, except where the alcohol can be detected. Up until now, everything about this beer would suggest hefeweizen, but then there is a slight spicy warmth given from the alcohol that reminds you this is a weizenbock. The combination of the yeast flavors and the strength reminds me of many Belgian Strong Pale Ales, but the wheat malt adds a bread-like flavor that make this uniquely German.

Moutfeel has a medium body feel to it but is slightly sticky and chewy. Overall, this is one hell of a beer and a classic example of the style.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Shock. Being a weizenbock I was expecting something much darker, maybe it was the brown bottle, but this isn't of the double bock variety, definitely just single bock strength. I couldn't believe it when the beer poured a lighter color, more in common with a hefeweizen. Still, the cloudy golden appearance looked quite nice and the head was massive.

Smell: Following the look of a hefeweizen it certainly smells like a hefeweizen. The aroma is heavy on the clove.

Taste: Like a hefeweizen on overdrive. Bright fruit flavor with heaps of clove spice.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated with a surprisingly light body. Works well.

Drinkability: Came for the weizenbock, stayed for the frankenstein hefeweizen. A bold beer, fans of either style should try this.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a 3" head which very slowly settled to 1" and held. Very hazy tan in color with tons of tiny effervescent bubbles. Flavor was quite complex with sweet malt and spices and fruits ranging from citrus to banana. And a far longer than average finish. Frankly in look and flavor it reminded me of a Bier de Gaard or even some Belgian beers.

Note after about an hour the remainder in the glass was a little limp and lifeless. Still, A-.

22nd review on BA
Bottle poured to weizen glass

App- Dark golden color with one of the best 3 finger heads I have seen. Highly carbonated, it was a thing of beauty.

Smell-Great boquet of scents here. A small banana smell along with some other citrus. I sense honey and clove but they are very faint.

Taste- WOW, so smooth on the first sip. It's full, rich and lush. Flavors are well balanced with the yeast strain being such a dominant factor.

Mouth- Left nothing but a great taste and me wanting another sip.

Drink- If it wasn't a 7.7% and me carving pumpkins all night I would have had another one. But big ABV and big knives don't mix.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Got this 500mL bottle at The Wine Thief in downtown New Haven CT for $3.50. Code 7349. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Cloudy straw yellow brew gives a velvety smooth white head 3" in height that settles slowly to leave a bit of lace behind. Smell is zesty and a little sour with wheat spices and sharp citrus. Taste and feel is like a concentrated hefeweizen- a bunch of astringent banana peel and warm clove with a pleasant alcohol spice, moderately thick and mostly dry body with a robust and slightly fizzy carbonation. Unmistakably German.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

500ml to weizen glass.

Pours a pale orange, more or less clear, not as hazy as I thought it'd be. Huge fluffy white head crackles like Rice Krispies as it dissipates. Head eventually turns to a cap leaving some lacing.

Mostly fruits in the scent - pears, lemons and bananas come to mind. Some spice as well. Seems a little medicinal, boozy.

Taste is much better and more complex than the scent. Banana and citrus, hints of pear and apple mix excellently with sugary wheat, bread and vanilla. Specifically multigrain bread comes to mind. Usual spices like clove are there but seem minimal and more as a backbone to the other flavors. Bubblegum comes out more as it warms.

Carbonation is a bit on the high side, but a very full mouthfeel. There is a touch of booze present. Good balance of flavors, it's nice to see clove take a backseat once in a while.

Very good beer, but seems very filling, and is a little too harsh for a wheat beer in my opinion. Doesn't match the mighty Hefeweissbier, though the flavor is pretty close, I prefer the subtlety and easy drinking of the Hefe.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

A - A somewhat dark, cloudy, golden straw with a tremendous billowing head. Medium retention but little lacing.

S - Deep aromas of wheat, banana and some citrus - orange or lemon zest. A bit of bread comes through on the wheat, and the yeast is readily apparent.

T - An amped up hefe - amazingly fruity and complex with a wonderful balance of wheat, malt and citrus. The peach, banana and pear fruitiness and yeasty spiciness is perfect, especially as it warms a bit. I would recommend drinking at the warmer range of the suggested temperature. Some honey sweetness that does not overpower. Outstanding.

M - Enjoyable medium body with medium+ carbonation. Somewhat crisp finish despite the lingering syrupy feeling on the tongue.

D - Everything their hefeweizen is and more - a wonderful beer all around, and a new favorite. I would buy this by the case if I could.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - This came out looking like a BSPA. The head is full and lively and pure as the driven snow. It showed great retention but wasn't clingy. The body was just a gorgeous orange-yellow, cloudy of course, with a rich sheen. It was much lighter than I expected but beautiful nevertheless.

Smell - The humble but pervasive banana leads things off here with a nice sweetness that isn't rushed but certainly not subtle. The yeast is cloying and shows that great refinement that all Weihenstephaner lovers know. I get maybe a touch of clove but nothing big and really none of the expected bock aromas. But I'm offering no complaints here as this is an amazing bouquet.

Taste - Well Weihenstephaner is known for their yeast strains above all else and man o man is this a terrific yeast flavor. First off this brewer produces the finest tasting yeast on the planet. Here you have that flavor from their weizen line but times two. It is so pure and so explosive like the raw flavor of yeast but refined, smoothed out, and topped off with a dash of sweetness.

The banana is right on track as well. It again is more like their hefe weizen. It's not overly ripe or crazy sugared like a brown banana but more like a green banana without that earthy flavor. The sweets actually are nothing but banana and I really don't find anything else in there which for me is a job well done.

Mouthfeel - This is medium-bodied with some amazingly light and teasing carbonation that livens up the experience. How they managed to keep the light carbs from their weizen line in this bigger beer is beyond me.

Drinkability - I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I drained this glass. It was more like an uber-hefe than a weizenbock IMO as I got none of the traditional bock characteristics. Since their hefe is one of my all time favorites though and this was that just more of the same I have to give this a gigantic thumbs up.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Pours a medium straw, cloudy, with heavy carbonation visible. There's a huge, soapy head with moderate retention. The nose is true to the style and similar to other Weihenstaphaner weizens--cloves, banana, spices, though a stronger sweet malt presence than the regular weizen or the filtered kristalweissbeir.

Sweet malts blended with cloves up front yields to a peppery bite. Moderate to heavy carbonation present, and a must for the style. Simple, yet perfect. The higher ABV allows this weizen to play double duty as a summer evening quencher or something to take the edge off on a cooler, autumn day.

This one's not as sessionable as a regular hefee; the alcohol will catch up to you after a few glasses.

I've had several of these brewery's beers and this is right in line with my expectations as regards their quality

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a bright, hazy golden yellow with a big creamy white head that bubbles down slowly to a rocky collar fed by a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom.

There is plenty of sweetness in the aroma with bananas and honey dominating. Hints of clove as well and this one smells much like a good hefe.

The taste delivers on the expectations of the aroma and really does taste like an amped up hefe. Big wheat flavor up front, featuring bananas but with an earthy honey sweetness mixed in. The finish is spicy.

This is a full bodied wheat beer and extremely smooth and creamy.

Super drinkable, very tasty and, overall, just a well-crafted wheat beer. One of the better wheat beers I've ever had actually.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

A-Pours a hazy light orange with a few fingers of fluffy, of white head. Looks lovely and inviting. Not much lacing.

S-Clove, banana, spice, zested oranges and lemons, wheat.

T/M-Big spicy notes. Huge clove flavors, with a peppery bite on the back end. A simple, elegant beer. The body is smooth and lush, with moderate carbonation. The finish lingers, with slick wheat flavors playing nicely against light tropical fruit sweetness.

D-Another genre-defining beer from Weihenstephaner.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan