Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -4%

16.9oz bottle, shaker pint.

Appropriately its hazed banana golden yellow. The head is doing alright for a wheat beer but could step up; loose knit, pure white, and it doesn't quite have the retention we all crave.

The nose has a straight up helping of sweet, fresh banana, other fruit as white grape and pear. It's all sweet soft fruits with no spice or grain. Move along, no phenols here. Some light caramel.

The flavors are quite easy going and light for a Weizenbock. Light banana, caramel, demerara sugar. Finally some grainy wheat, along with a light hop bitterness it exerts some balance.

I have the hardest time articulating mouthfeel. Not much prickle here, moderate body and great balance between sweet and dry. A little chalkiness.

This is balance well for all the banana emphasis, but I'm surprised by the lack of any clove phenols. Doesn't seem too much of a Weizenbock, it's pretty tame.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- A very hazy, dirty yellow maze color, seems to glow when the light hits it. A solid inch to 2 inch head. Very rocky head, long lasting, and generous lacing. One of the best looking beers I have seen.

S- This one smells overwhelmingly like banana cloves, can smell the wheat, a bready and earth smell is present, and a lingering smell of alcohol. Very complex.

T- Banana tartness is there right away, along with a bready, chewy malt, and wheat are present throughout.

M-This one is very smooth in feel, the chewiness of the malt and the wheat makes the feel even more complex and has some weight. This one just rolls across the palate and is almost sexy in how it makes the palate feel.

D- Is great, but it is so rich in flavor that there is no way this one could be a session beer.

Notes: This one is worth picking up and can usually be found for a great value. Complex in every aspect, yet simple enough for even the most inexperience beer drinker to enjoy.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A- hazy dark straw color. A bit of an off white head. Tight and beady.

S-this is liquid Banana nut bread. Abit of a gumball presence as well.

T-This tastes just like Grandmas banana nut bread in liquid form. Nice doughy tastes. A bit of an alcoholic tartness that seems to dry it out a bit. A bit of fruitiness that reminds me of a tripel.

Drink- Im going to keep this in the rotation. Cant believe i've never tried this before as I just picked it up on a whim.

We pour a yeasty-looking, hazy brew of an even straw color. The head it holds is two fingers high, and composed of big white bubbles that slowly disappear. Throughout the session little lacing is produced, despite the head retaining, in part, until the bottom of the glass. There is highly active carbonation throughout, but the liquid is otherwise opaque. The aroma is flush with ripe bananas and esters, cloves and phenols, and sour, citrusy hops that sit quite comfortably behind a heavy wheat aroma. The taste begins with a clash of bitter, drying wheat and sweet bananas. These both remain throughout the middle, with the esters peaking even further, and mixing with warm spices. As the sip trails off there are echoes of the same fruity esters, bitter lemon rind, and a curious smokiness, like that of charred meat. The aftertaste is sweet, but, if left for some time, it begins to veer towards sourness. The beer is medium to full bodied, with a comparable level of carbonation. The brew is somewhat creamy and coats the mouth, leaving it cooled and satiated. The abv is appropriate and the beer drinks quite nicely.

Overall, what was best about this brew was its classically Weizenbock aroma. It contains all of the sweet and wheaty characteristics anything in the style should and, while admittedly complex, maintains a delicious simplicity to the flavors. What was curious, if anything, was the huge attention to esters, with the specificity of ripe bananas, which were observable at nearly every turn.

Thank you Half Door for selling this outstanding brew on tap. What a treat!

A- Vitus is a cloudy, straw yellow with a big, bright white head with good retention of copious sticky, foamy lace. One's expectation of a slightly darker color is forgotten upon the first sip.

S- Wonderful, big, seductive Hefe aromas of soft banana esters, spice and clove phenolics, wheat, caramel malt and Juicy Fruit rise up from the glass upon warming. Faint notes of clover honey and vanilla are detectable.

T- The flavor of this beer, to me, is literal perfection. Caramel, spice, animal crackers, over-ripe banana, Juicy Fruit gum, rich honey-puffed wheat cereal. The finish has a pronounced chalky, powdery yeastiness.

The super-charged classic Hefe flavor is wonderfully opulent and concentrated. The lavish quality of the combined flavor, aroma, and body is simply alluring, and I was drawn in to indulge. This is my idea of beer pleasure, right here.

M,D- The mouthfeel presents a rich, palate-caressing medium body from the traditional decoction mash. The sweet, rich finish also reveals a slight, nearly imperceptible touch of volatile ethanol. Ideal CO2 level. Perfectly drinkable.

The Vitus is simply superb.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Ginormous gusher. WTF! Like I shook the bottle up before opening it.

Pours a 6 finger head with about 1 finger of beer. Murky pear-colored liquid. Smells clovey, hay, and honey during the pour. To the nose, more of the smae, plus dusty and some lighter fruits (pear, banana cream, strawberry).

Tastes medium-sweet with nice spiciness as a counter-point. Strong carbonation helps keep the sweet from sticking. Clove, nutmeg, and canned pear syrup. Finishes with a sharp sting from the carbonation. Meh drinkability. Light body.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

ST: One pint in bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: It has a hazy orange hue and a huge fluffy white head that takes time to settle down. It does leave some streaky lacing, and it turns gold when held to the light.

S: This beer has a wonderful aroma. Citrus, spice (clove), bread, and peaches.

T: Banana, clove, bread, and some nutty flavors dominate. There is ample spice and crispness in a relatively dry finish with a hint of alcohol left in the back of the throat.

M: Medium body and dry.

D: It would be hard to know that this beer is 7.7 percent alcohol. Since it has a dry finish, the beer is refreshing as well.

Overall: This is a great beer. I am a huge fan of Weihenstephaner, and a huge fan of weis beers, and this beer confirms why. It has a wonderful aroma, flavors that are balanced and elegant, and a nice crisp, dryer finish. Though there is a tinge of alcohol on the finish, it is hard to believe the 7.7 percent alcohol labeled on the bottle. Once again, an amazing beer by Weihenstephaner.

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Violently carbonated, leading to a superb creamy head. A smudge of haziness clouds the glass. Classic.

S: Kind of subdued here. Banana & clove are there as usual, with a hint of nutmeg or cinnamon.

T: Tropical fruit (papaya mainly) dominates here, clove, banana, & mandarin orange flavors. Bit of a toffee & anise flavor too. Belgian-esque. Some hotness on the aftertaste. Hardly any hops. Really tasty... a hefe on steroids.

M/D: Perfect carbonation here, this beer drinks like water.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Dirty straw yellow body with a crazy amount of tiny carbonation bubbles. Large white head that dissipated into a foamy covering and left a light lacing behind.

A- Light clove banana smell. Some alcohol hints.

T- Cloves hit the hardest with kindof an overall banana flavor around everything. Nice spicy aftertaste. Quite sweet.

M- Medium body, the sweetness is almost cloying, but doesn't coat my mouth enough. High carbonation.

D- I wanted a good Weizenbock for the cold weather I was leaning towards Aventis, but then I saw this. It's definitely worth a drink.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

I've been wanting to try this one for a long time, even though it's not my favorite style, mostly because of Coloradobobs. Pours a pale yellow color with a hazy golden hue in the center. Large white tops things off and recedes slowly. Typical wheat beer smell, mostly banana and clove, with a touch of pale malt and slightly hoppy/herbal background, but this mostly about the sweet wheat. Taste is wonderful! Delicious citrusy notes, banana as in the nose, with a touch of alcohol and perhaps some licorice on the dry finish. I really like that this weizenbock is not a dunkel variety. This tastes like a standard Hefe with the flavor and booze ramped up just a few notches. Carbonation is a bit high at first, but it starts to settle down mid-glass with some gentle swirling, medium body. Good stuff here, very drinkable despite the high(er) ABV.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

I bought three wheat beers this afternoon.This W.Vitus and Ayinger Weizenbock,and Bells Winter White Ale these beers taste very similar.

Vitus pours a hazy golden color,also starts out with a nice head.The taste has cloves and banana flavor with a small hint of lemon.THis is a beer I could enjoy all evening, as far as drinkiability.I also like the design of the labels on the bottles too.Hey I can dig it.Great beer for any time of the year.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

One of the worlds great beers and I meet up for the first time, we have somehow missed each other over the years. We come together in Cork, Ireland of all places, I saw and bought this bottle in 'The Abbot's Ale House', and reviewed it in my hotel lounge. Sadly the glass used was a half-pint tumbler, I would have loved the correct glass.

The beer poured a lovely lemony yellow, slightly cloudy, almost murky. A pure white head sat on top for both pours, the beer a darker lemon colour on the second pour.

The smells were a fantastic mix, yeast, vanilla, sweet banana and semi-sour cooking apples all rolled into one.

The taste held all the aroma ingrediants along with some grapefruit citrus hints added. Unusually for this style, a maltiness could also be found in the wonderful amalgamation of flavours.

I was at one with the world while drinking this beauty. The 7.7%ABV just sits within the flavours without being noticed, a truely amazing and one-off beer (as ColoradoBobs has been telling me for years).

3.51/5  rDev -17.8%

I sit here about to chug down my Vitus, and I hesitate. Why? What's the hold up you ask? Well, besides the slow realization of how badass the name Vitus is, I'm also listening to the soundtrack to Mac and Me. I recently rewatched this retarded retro 80s family flick, and let me tell you...it was awesome. And the song I'm grooving to right now, You're Not a Stranger Anymore...has succeeded in putting me in a state of all-knowing awareness. I salute Mac and Me and it's tubular soundtrack with a pint of the ultra manly, regal and badass, Vitus.

This here Weizenbock looks the good stuff. A light/dark golden hazy caramel look that makes me think of a scarecrow; an initial sudsy and soapy head, solid retention and lace...it's an awesome looking beer.

Uh-oh spagettios!!! This ain't doing it. Wait, hold up, let me take a bit here...nope. Ya know why? Because I don't like the smell of bananas. And ya know another thing, I don't like the smell of cloves very much either. *sniff* There's something else there too....something doctor appointment-y. But the kicker here is, it truly does have a strong and appealing taste - that is, if you like these smells/tastes - but I'm not a blowhard, I know if it's delivers a calculated taste then that's a good thing.

The nose hasn't lied. It's banana beer. Banana bread beer? Son of a bitch! I really wanted to like this badass beer!! King Vitus...you have forsaken me! But seriously, the smell is worse than the taste for me. It's not really that strong...and it's pretty tasty.

The mouthfeel is quite nice though. Quite nice indeed! Soft, mellow, creamy, yet a dry finish that pin-points the very hidden alcohol. Good feel. Feels like if you were choking on boobs.

Drinkability for ya boy ain't the bees knees if ya feel me. For me, ya boy, it's a bit too potent in the banana area. See, bananas are just too damn bland for me. I like my fruits to be pippy and tasty....not long...ya feel me? Yeah, you feel me. This is a review that you should take zero advice from though, as it's a well loved beer...I just don't like penis fruit!!! *blasts Take Me, I'll Follow You*

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A solidly delicious strong wheat beer from a line of consistently excellent beers. Doesn't seem to me to follow the traditional guidelines for (or my experiences with) a weizenbock (for instance, Aventinus), notably the color and absence of "dark" fruit flavors. Vitus, when it rises to an ideal temp, roughly in the mid-to-high 50s, comes across as a slightly more orange-colored version of their hefeweizen, a little bolder in the bready malt presence (in aroma, flavor, and feel), with some lovely (in order of intensity) vaguely citrus fruit flavors: orange, lemon, and banana - orange much more than the other two, which are merely hinted at in the aroma and taste, respectively.

Summarizing - It poured from the growler with an initial swell of soft, creamy head, but it soon deflated, leaving a thin misty blanket of suds on top of the, as I mentioned, autumn-orange tinged body - hazy bordering on cloudy. Fresh-baked, doughy bread aromas with faintly sticky navel orange notes as well. The alcohol is wonderfully obfuscated in the aroma and the taste, too, not even causing much of a stir in the finish. The moderate, yet assertive, breadiness and esters balance out superbly, really forming the backbone of the taste. Tartness from the wheat kept in check, just about a whisper. And as I also said, the best in every facet of this beer comes to the fore when it's lost its chill. A wholly satisfying, smooth and hearty feel, at the same time finishing light and refreshing for the style. Let it warm - to where it's actually almost warm - and you'll get the most out of it. Quite enjoyable, quintessentially German.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

A-Pours a slightly murky golden color with a large head of foam that quickly dissapears.
S-Cloves, bananas and yeast.
T-There is a sweetness of the banana and cloves up front with a bitter hoppy finish and malty afternotes.
M-Light feel but not thin. The carbonation of this beer is moderated to high.
D-This is a nice wheat beer and easily drinkable and refreshing.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Enjoyed around a bonfire on a warm November night in Ohio. This beer pours a surprisingly pale and fairly clear yellow with a thick, pillowy head. This was the first time that I've had this beer and was surprised by how pale it was. Aroma is of strong banana, clove, and wheat. This is one of the best smelling beers that I've had, not very surprising for a Weihenstephaner wheat beer. The flavor is similar to an imperialized hefeweizen. Strong banana and very strong clove. Wheat is present but is not as strong as the regular Weihenstephaner hefe. Just a tinge of faint cocoa is noted at the end of the swallow. Simply fantastic. Drinkability is incredibly high for a 7.7 abv beer. It's hard to drink this beer slow it's so good! Highly recommended for hefeweizen lovers.

2.82/5  rDev -34%

Bomber, bottled on 3/9/10, poured into a wheat beer glass (reviewed in October).

I'm going to say this right off the bat, I didn't like this beer... at all. Considering the fact that I loved their Hefeweizen and Hefeweizen Dark I am willing to give Weihenstephaner the benefit of the doubt and believe I might have got a battle or old bottle.

A: Looks exactly like the Hefeweissbier, dark golden color, hazy, massive 3-finger foamy head that lasts forever and leaves good lacing.

S: Right away I knew either something was wrong or this wasn't for me. The banana and over-ripe fruit was just WAY to strong. It smelled like someone stuck a 2 week old black banana up my nose. I knew there were some other flavors and spices in there, but it just didn't come through.

T: Oh yeah, way to robust. I like bold flavored beers, but this just tastes like an old banana. I can taste some other fruits, bread, yeast, and esters when the initial burst mellows out, but it's still really sweet and old tasting.

M: I gave this a 4.0 because although I don't like the taste, the mouth feel is pretty much the same as the hefes.

D: I couldn't finish this and ended up pouring out that last 1/3 of the glass.

I really want to try a fresh bottle of this again because I love wWeihenstephaner and it just didn't seem right.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Lemony yellow color with a bit of hazyness in it. Bubbles drifting upwards into the surface.
Smells yeasty and wheaty, and the flavor has a lemon flavor that brings some bitterness, or rather, a light tartness along. Some light alcohol, and some flowery esters.

Chad

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a hazy golden color with a 4 finger frothy white head. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Lemon, wheat, clove, banana and spices. Very strong aroma.

Taste: Clove and banana up front followed by bread and spices in the middle and ending with a light hoppy bitterness. Aftertaste is semi-dry with hints of banana.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium-bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. A little slick feeling on the tongue.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol is well masked so you could knock back a couple pints without much trouble.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. Another fine offering from the world's oldest brewery.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

This pours so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye...Awesome lemony amber in color, heavily carbonated with a cloudy haze to it, pours a fist-high head of creamy, marshmallowy goodness that persist until you drink it and laces up the entire glass. Probably best-looking pour I've ever seen. The picture above almost doesn't do this justice. Aromas are to be expected - slightly metallic, some citrus fruit along with the peels, nice clove-like or coriander notes in the background. Nothing elite, but perfectly to style. Flavor is where this slightly falls off. Not robust enough all the way through the drink. Upfront, it's excellent - intense wheat blasts into a long, crisp lemon citrus...Finish dies a little and gets a tad thin, and the 7.7% ABV of the brew makes itself apparent here as well, but only a little. This is actually great beer, with only minor flaws, and is super well-priced at $2.69/pint+.9oz. bottle. Really worth keeping in the fridge all the time.

What I like most: The beautiful appearance.

What I Like least: The thinner than expected finish.

Verdict: Excellent and super-well-priced brew. Must find.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Weihenstephaner, brewers of the classic Hefeweizen, have essentially taken the same beer and made it stronger. Such a simple but fantastic idea.

While most weizenbocks look more like a dunkelweizen, this one has the paler orangish-yellow typically found in a hefe. An impressive head rises above with a sticky and rocky foam about 3 fingers thick.

Aroma is full of yeasty phenolics and fruitiness. Banana comes through strong with hints of spice followed by a strong bready malt aroma. Reminiscent of freshly baked banana bread.

Taste is right in line with the aroma, except where the alcohol can be detected. Up until now, everything about this beer would suggest hefeweizen, but then there is a slight spicy warmth given from the alcohol that reminds you this is a weizenbock. The combination of the yeast flavors and the strength reminds me of many Belgian Strong Pale Ales, but the wheat malt adds a bread-like flavor that make this uniquely German.

Moutfeel has a medium body feel to it but is slightly sticky and chewy. Overall, this is one hell of a beer and a classic example of the style.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: Shock. Being a weizenbock I was expecting something much darker, maybe it was the brown bottle, but this isn't of the double bock variety, definitely just single bock strength. I couldn't believe it when the beer poured a lighter color, more in common with a hefeweizen. Still, the cloudy golden appearance looked quite nice and the head was massive.

Smell: Following the look of a hefeweizen it certainly smells like a hefeweizen. The aroma is heavy on the clove.

Taste: Like a hefeweizen on overdrive. Bright fruit flavor with heaps of clove spice.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated with a surprisingly light body. Works well.

Drinkability: Came for the weizenbock, stayed for the frankenstein hefeweizen. A bold beer, fans of either style should try this.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured a 3" head which very slowly settled to 1" and held. Very hazy tan in color with tons of tiny effervescent bubbles. Flavor was quite complex with sweet malt and spices and fruits ranging from citrus to banana. And a far longer than average finish. Frankly in look and flavor it reminded me of a Bier de Gaard or even some Belgian beers.

Note after about an hour the remainder in the glass was a little limp and lifeless. Still, A-.

22nd review on BA
Bottle poured to weizen glass

App- Dark golden color with one of the best 3 finger heads I have seen. Highly carbonated, it was a thing of beauty.

Smell-Great boquet of scents here. A small banana smell along with some other citrus. I sense honey and clove but they are very faint.

Taste- WOW, so smooth on the first sip. It's full, rich and lush. Flavors are well balanced with the yeast strain being such a dominant factor.

Mouth- Left nothing but a great taste and me wanting another sip.

Drink- If it wasn't a 7.7% and me carving pumpkins all night I would have had another one. But big ABV and big knives don't mix.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Got this 500mL bottle at The Wine Thief in downtown New Haven CT for $3.50. Code 7349. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Cloudy straw yellow brew gives a velvety smooth white head 3" in height that settles slowly to leave a bit of lace behind. Smell is zesty and a little sour with wheat spices and sharp citrus. Taste and feel is like a concentrated hefeweizen- a bunch of astringent banana peel and warm clove with a pleasant alcohol spice, moderately thick and mostly dry body with a robust and slightly fizzy carbonation. Unmistakably German.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan