Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner VitusWeihenstephaner Vitus

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
jwinship83

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

A- pale golden body with ample sticky foamy head and a steady stream of fast moving bubbles.

S- very yeasty. lots of banana, bubblegum, cloves, coriander. smells like a strong hefe. maybe some orange in here too

T- very much like it smells. very spicy and yeasty. like a big bad wheat.

M- crisp, clean, light, and refreshing. very nice.

D- easy to finish, id like another. the alcohol is well hidden. this one could sneak up on you before you know it. too bad its not served at ball parks, this one would be great sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley.

09-30-2008 01:41:08 | More by jwinship83
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

a: Cloudy gold, fluffy white head.

s: Clove, nutmeg, earthy notes.

t: Similar to the aroma. Clove and nutmeg plus some honey and grain notes. Dry finish.

m: Light and smooth with a crisp bite.

d: Good and very easy drinking beer. Shocked to see how high the abv was. Similar to their hefe, but with more spice and much more booze (though you won't notice it).

09-30-2008 00:46:05 | More by BradLikesBrew
Halcyondays

16.9 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow, looks a lot like a regular hefeweizen, the lightest weissebock I've ever seen. Good white head with good retention.

S: Smell is great. Strong scent of banana bread mixed with a hint of bitter orange and spice.

T: Great bready malt flavour with a strong yeast presence. Mainly banana and orange peel, finishes strong with clove and cinnamon. Definite bubblegum esters in the aftertaste.

M: Full body, a lot of carbonation, spritzy, but has a good heft, medium viscosity.

D: Fantastic beer, only $2.99, but difficult to find in my area. I will definitely pick up another bottle when I see it.

09-29-2008 02:48:56 | More by Halcyondays
flexabull

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle courtesy of CrellMoset, thanks again!

Pours a bright and cloudy gold color, with a big fluffy head.

Aromas are spicy, yeast like, with some light fruit/banana notes.

Taste is sweet, creamy, and with some light spices. Some clove flavors and bananas. Finish is crisp, dry, and a little bit tart. Interesting tasting beer. Kind of reminds me of a cross between and hefeweizen and a Belgian Pale. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel is great. Really smooth, full, and soft.

Drinkability is excellent. This is a nice tasty and easy drinking beer. Would be a great go to beer for the Summer. Would be more than happy to sip this one again sometime...

09-28-2008 22:58:07 | More by flexabull
Gavage

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: pours a hazy golden yellow color with a nice 2" head. Some moderate lacing appears.

Smell: banana, clove, wheat, and a general spiciness is easy to detect.

Taste: big bold flavors here. Nice grainy malt base with some wheat, pepper, cloves, banana, and a nice bitterness to balance out the sweetness. Alcohol is definitely noticeable here.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, and a little smoother towards the finish. Aftertaste is long.

Drinkability: this may be my newest favorite beer with this brewery. Alcohol will catch up to you, but a few of these can easily be slowly consumed. Must try this one.

09-26-2008 13:39:18 | More by Gavage
trbergman

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

0.5L bottle poured into Hennepin flute.

Appearance - Pours a hazy amber with three fingers of fluffy white head. Head reduces to about one finger over time.

Smell - fairly standard wheat beer aroma of yeast, banana, and clove.

Taste - Wow. My expectations were high after all the hype I've heard on BA, but I haven't been disappointed. Everything good about Weihenstephan's Hefe Weizen is kicked up a notch, with the addition of a slightly boozy element. Banana, cloves, peppercorns, and a touch of sweetness -- but not cloying. There's a bit of hop bitterness on the finish, but for the most part the hops are understated.

Mouthfeel - Rich and full -- solid.

Drinkability - It's a great beer, a pleasure to drink from start to finish, but I'm not sure I'd want more than one.

EDIT 08-12-10:
Bottle code 3018, or Jan 3, 2008

Delicious, floral, fruity, honey. Bumping the taste score by a half point.

09-25-2008 01:45:52 | More by trbergman
bashiba

Iowa

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured bright hazy yellow with a bit of orange. Had a big and fluffy white head, slightly sticky leaving minor lacing.

The smell was very strong with a big yeasty hefe smell, banana bread, wheat and citrus all making big appearances.

The flavor is on the sweet side with strong hints of bananas, oranges, and pineapple along with a long and lingering wheat flavor. Some alcohol pokes its way through a touch as well. The yeast is also there along with just a touch of lemony hops.

The mouthfeel is very creamy with lots of carbonation.

Smooth and easy to drink for a beer this big, another winner for Weihenstephan.

09-20-2008 23:30:22 | More by bashiba
rye726

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

A pale golden color with a creamy beige head and excellent lace. Beautifull looking brew, just a little light in my opinion. The nose has wheat malts, citrus fruits some rich candies. The taste is similar, more of a weizen than a bock. Ripe tropical fruits, wheaty grains, spicy yeasts and carmelized sugars. Medium body is well carbonated. Fantastic drinkability. More of an imperial hefeweizen than a weizenbock, but still very good. I am never let down by anything from weihenstephan.

09-19-2008 01:08:01 | More by rye726
Atlas1

I have always enjoyed the beers from Weihenstephaner that I've had in the past. Their berliner weisse is delicious. So let's stick with the wheats and give the Weizenbock a go.

Pours an almost viscous cloudy lemon color with a pretty white tuft of foam on top. The head recedes fairly fast but leaves a healthy ring of lace. A steady stream of carbonation keeps it afloat for the duration as well. The nose is big malty banana mixed in with some lemon, starfruit, and sweet saltwater taffy. Faint pepper. Light in character, but dense like a weizenbock should be. Still, I get none of the typical weizenbock notes of strong spice or dark fruit. This one is much more citrusy in nature. But it's certainly not a bad scent. Taste is rich and malty up front, with an initial tang. That mellows out a bit to a banana smoothie taste, and ends again with a strong lemon pinch in the back of the mouth. Mouthfeel is bubbly but creamy at the same time.

Man, I'm torn between giving this a really good review because I thoroughly enjoy the beer, or giving it a marginal review because I don't think it represents the style very well. Oh my, what a conundrum. Screw it, it's a good beer, even if it's not the best weizenbock. It's a bit boozy in the end, but a totally drinkable brew here. Give me more Vitus!

09-16-2008 00:23:09 | More by Atlas1
TATTORSO

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

A yawning, white tiger told me to buy this in a dream.

A ~ A vigorous pour from a 16.9oz bottle into my Duvel tulip produced a towering, foamy white head over a cloudy, golden honey colored brew. The head quickly compressed to a buttery, solid 1/4" foam with good retention. Tight beads of bubbles rise to the head. Pretty beer ~ I was expecting something a little darker.

S ~ Banana, bubblegum, ripe pears, faint hints of dark fruit & aromatic spice. Lemon rinds. Clove. Not unpleasant, again ~ not what I expected. In the nose this reminds me more of a Hefeweizen. Wheaty.

T ~ Spicy, aromatic clove & allspice. There is a malty, grain (wheat) presence that seems to balance the yeast & the fruity byproduct banana & bubblegum flavors. Nothing bitter, but a little sharp or peppery on the backside.

M/D ~ The mouth is smooth & malty. Nice level of carbonation & a nice spicy finish. A little heat at the back of the throat is a gentle reminder that this is 7.7% ABV. While I'm still confused with the classification & I admittedly have much to learn about beer in general & specific styles ~ I found this more balanced & less perfumey than other Hefeweizens that I've sampled. I had some pre- determined idea of a "BOCK" style beer based on ancient memories of my Grandpa's dark, rich bock beer. This ~ to me, was more of an Imperial Hefeweizen or perhaps a Hefe Hybrid. Still a nice diversion from my regular excursions into the beer universe...AND~ cheap too! Picked up a couple for $2.99 on sale at my local bottle shop.
This beer reminds me of the seasons changing, cool fall evenings, Thanksgiving, Christmas...but worth a try anytime if you can get it. Very approachable & recommended.

09-15-2008 05:57:48 | More by TATTORSO
elniko

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from Euro-bottle into weizen glass.

A: Light hazy golden amber coloring with huge pillowy head. Nice looking brew.

S: Very nice nose, wheat tones along with definite spiciness and banana tones which I would expect. Great smelling brew.

T & M: Nice quite as strong as the Aventinus which I feel is the pinnacle of this style. I found this to have the same qualities of a regular hef which for a Weihenstephaner is just fine with me. Taste had wheat tones along with some fruity textures. Mouthfeel is full.

D: Definite drinkable, I just had a hard time believing that this was a weizenbock.

09-14-2008 22:05:59 | More by elniko
Blakaeris

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours cloudy lemon yellow with a thick pillowy white head.

Aroma is yeasty, peppery and spicy. Sweet with banana and light fruit.

Taste is similar to the nose. Sweet pale malt, and generous clove. Very tasty light fruitiness consisting of banana, pineapple, apple, and zesty lemon. Surprisingly wheaty and grainy. Finish has a peppery spice bite with plenty of coriander, clove, and bubblegum.

Mouthfeel is quite creamy and smooth.

Very drinkable and tasty brew. However, I don't get the complex dark fruit aspect I had expected from a weizenbock, and the yeasty character was unexpectedly strong. Instead, I would call this an 'uber-hefe' as this is in my opinion a truly wonderful hefe.

09-13-2008 21:02:02 | More by Blakaeris
gfreed

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a Weizen glass, which it filled with a giant, gratifying, puffy head that took its time dissipating. Unfiltered, so it's cloudy in the glass but still quite bright in color. The aroma is not a typical wheat-beer aroma; although there's plenty of banana and clove, a strong whiff of citrus is there along with a bit of what my wife described as "can." Tin, perhaps. The taste is what you would expect from a wheat beer, but the alcohol is high enough to add more spice and some bitterness that a weizen with a lower ABV lacks. While tasty, the Vitus is a bit too boozy a wheat beer for my liking. Worth a try, nonetheless.

09-13-2008 01:06:15 | More by gfreed
dasenebler

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

I was expecting a darker beer, given what I know about the Weizenbock style, but the Vitus pours a pale, unfiltered gold into a smaller tulip glass. Copious head, but it reduces to a neat layer for the rest of the way down. Aroma is of intense bananas-- imagine five times your typical Hefeweizen-- spice, and alcohol.

Taste is nice, definitely some alcohol there, but the fruitiness, carbonation and typical Hefeweizen-like profile-- yeasty phenols and the like-- balance the booze. Luscious, creamy mouthfeel. One of the most drinkable strong beers (7.7%) I've had. Maybe I don't know any better, but the Vitus is essentially like a Hefeweizen cranked up a notch or two. If you want a strong beer that's also refreshing, look no further. The Vitus doesn't strike me as terribly complex and heavy, but that's not a bad thing.

09-12-2008 19:31:51 | More by dasenebler
gory4d

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a cloudy straw color with a huge white head that lingers, making thick lacing down the glass. The smell is doughy and fruity -- lots of banana, as is to be expected. Taste moves from subtle fruit to sharp yeast snap to big clovey fruit to a hot hop bitterness -- very complex and delicious. It's got a nice smooth, full body to it, very foamy but not too fizzy. It's a quenching drink for being so big a beer. I generally just have one 0.5 L bottle at a time: plenty but not too much.

09-07-2008 23:55:39 | More by gory4d
birchstick

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Poured golden, hazy yellow with a beautiful head that didn't seem to want to go away.
S - fruity - has banana, clove and a little bit of spice
T - banana and spices with a huge kick of banana and a of hops and bit alcohol burn in the aftertaste.
Mf - smooth and full
D - This is a great beer, it is like their hefeweizen amped up a little. It is delicious beer, Weihenstaphaner delivers yet again. However, having more than a couple could make you start feeling a little too good due to the 7.7% alcohol content.

09-05-2008 01:33:16 | More by birchstick
ckeegan04

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Orangish-brown glow, very bright. Not near as dark as most weizenbocks I have seen. Lumpy off-white head...HUGE. Excellent retention and lacing as well.

S - Jacked up hefeweizen comes to mind. Strong aroma of banana and clove with hints of orange peel and bubble gum as well. A very deep and intense aroma.

T - A light biscuity taste up front quickly overcome by strong tastes of banana, bubble gum, and clove.

M/D - A very full bodied and chewy feel. Great carbonation brings the beer to life. An excellent beer. While not your typical weizenbock, but still damn tasty.

09-04-2008 19:37:00 | More by ckeegan04
julian

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Widmer Hefeweizen glass.

A: cloudy yellow color with hints of orange near the top. Lots of bubbles scurrying to the surface creating a thick and plentiful snowy layer of thick white head.

S: An array of spices tickle the nose, with fruity esters bouncing around wetting the palate. The scent reminds me of a traditional Hefe or Wit with the banana esters prevalent. Surprising considering this is a German beer, not Belgian.

T&M: Taste is similar to the scent, lots of banana bread flavors, slight citrus punch. Somewhat sweet aftertaste that has the properties of sweet molasses. Very crisp and refreshing. Goes down smooth, with exceptional taste that lingers and sweetens near the end.

D: Great taste and aroma. This is definitely a great beer and one of the first and only beers I've had in this style. I will definitely be exploring this style further. I still can't believe this is German and not Belgian as the properties are very similar. It still has that malty Bock feel to it though so connoisseurs could still identify this accurately...but it'd be a tough call. This is like a fusion of a German Hefe and a Belgian Wit with the ABV of a Bock. Awesomeness.

09-03-2008 02:52:30 | More by julian
spointon

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I poured this weizenbock from a 16.9oz brown bottle into my tall Erdinger glass.

A= This beer is a sight to behold for sure. I poured it at just below cellar temperature and the head was amazing - 3" of snow white foam on top of a cloudy, pale gold beer. Huge amounts of carbonation release present.

S= I was really surprised that the aromas of this beer reminded me of Belgian yeasts rather than the usual German weiss. Instead of overpowering banana and clove, I found those aromas muted along side chalky, funky yeast and green apples and pears.

T= This beer tastes like an amped up, German version of a Belgian Wit (and I mean that as a compliment). I tasted much the same as I found in the aroma - banana, clove, green orchard fruits, and yeast. Very little hop presence. Alcohol was not a factor despite the ABV. Slightly tart/dry finish.

MF= Despite the huge carbonation level, this beer had a soft mouthfeel. Coated my tongue with pleasant tartness making me want more.

D= Wow, this was a damn good beer, easily the best German weiss bier I have ever had. I can see myself drinking a bunch more of these!

09-02-2008 20:01:27 | More by spointon
UGADawgGuy

Georgia

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

After months of desperation, I finally drove to South Carolina and picked up several bottles of this stuff -- why can't I get it in Atlanta yet, when other Weihenstephaner beers are easy to obtain? Anyway, I love hefeweizens (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is my all-time favorite beer), as well as Schneider Aventinus (thus far, the only other true weizenbock I've had). As such, I HAD to try Vitus.

I poured a 500ml bottle into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass. [EDIT: Half-liter, chalice-type Vitus glasses do exist, and as of December 2010, I own three of them. They're among my favorite glasses in my collection -- seek some out!]

Appearance: Frankly, before I read the reviews here, I expected Vitus to appear darker -- at least the hue of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel. Instead, it's actually about the same color as a regular Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but somehow it's less cloudy. In fact, it looks like a "lighter" beer than your average unfiltered hefeweizen, which is saying something. After a solid weizen pour, I got a nice four-finger head, which receded far more quickly than the head on a standard Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. I got minimal lacing throughout drinking. Interestingly, there is considerably less yeasty sediment in Vitus than in almost any other unfiltered wheat beer I've had. On the whole, I think I prefer the appearance of this brewery's regular hefeweizen to the appearance of Vitus, but Vitus's looks belie its aroma and flavor.

Smell: I've got to give this a 5.0 -- it smells familiar and unique at the same time, and the scent ultimately makes you desperate to taste the beer. As has been echoed in other reviews, Vitus smells like an "imperialized" version of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, which I guess it kind of is. I get a deep, rich series of aromas, starting with sweet banana bread. Yeast is also prominent in the nose, as are cloves and a hint of citrus. Now, unlike some others who have reviewed Vitus, I DON'T pick up a "lemon meringue" scent...instead, the lingering smells are of banana bread, yeast, and finally old-fashioned bubble gum.

Taste: As with other Weihenstephaner offerings, the taste follows the nose. The best way I think I can describe this would be to say that it tastes like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but with a much stronger dose of cloves and easily perceptible alcohol. I taste cloves, yeasty bread, cloves, something faintly citric, cloves, and cloves. That "old-fashioned bubble gum" thing is there, too, but it's difficult to pin down. It seems to come and go at times during each sip.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is about on par with Weihenstephaner's other wheat beers, which is to say that there's quite a bit of it. That, along with the higher ABV and stronger clove flavor, makes for quite a prickly quaff. Honestly, the mouthfeel of this one is more aggressive than I expected; I guess I've just grown accustomed to "regular" hefeweizens. Still, it's cold and refreshing, and the mouthfeel is still superb -- creamier than most hefeweizens, but not as thick as many weizenbocks (particularly dark ones).

Drinkability: The smell is fantastic, and the flavor is great. Even with a relatively aggressive mouthfeel for its style, this is a highly drinkable beer. The ABV does sneak up on you, though, even if the alcohol isn't totally hidden. If you like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, I think you've got to try this one. Just be warned that the mouthfeel and ABV might challenge you a bit as a wheat beer fan. I've found these aspects of Vitus to get better with repeated tastings, though.

I've got to tell you, I still like vintage Schneider Aventinus (and good old Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier) somewhat better than Vitus. I find it a bit confusing that Aventinus and Vitus are both weizenbocks, as they are DRASTICALLY different from each other in nearly every way. I think maybe this should be called an "imperial hefeweizen," while darker, toastier wheat beers with higher ABV (like Aventinus) might be termed "weizenbocks."

***Addendum***
In mid-March of 2009, Vitus finally made it into Georgia, thanks to the help of a devoted group of Vitus Advocates. And this led me to discover that Vitus purchased right here at home looks, smells, tastes, feels, and generally drinks better than Vitus purchased elsewhere. Thank God Vitus is finally here!

09-02-2008 18:50:46 | More by UGADawgGuy
cpn920

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Weihenstephaner is my undiputed favorite brewer. Served in my Weihenstephaner hefeweizen glass. Copper color with strong aroma of bananas and cloves. Detected scent of lemon? I could could have several of these if it weren't over 7% abv. Highly recommended.

08-31-2008 01:14:52 | More by cpn920
illidurit

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a hazy saffron color into my Franziskaner weizen glass. Big 3 finger head is pure white, not much lacing. Good retention.
Aroma is lemon meringue, banana oil, flowers, clove, and a hint of copper.
Tastes like an imperialized version of a hefeweizen. Not a lot of dark, chewy, bready malt flavor at all. This beer is focused around banana, lemon, and clove. Also a touch of vanilla. Not bad, but certainly lacking the complexity a darker weizenbock (like Aventinus) would likely provide.
Highly carbonated, but not overly so. Medium body with a sticky banana pith finish. Classic Weihenstephaner drinkability.

08-29-2008 00:30:34 | More by illidurit
cvstrickland

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

A cellar-temperature bomber of the elixir, secured in a daring cross-border raid of a hapless Harris-Teeter in southern Virginia, poured into a weizen glass yields a bright golden body with a bit of haze and butter-yellow highlights. A huge cap of soft ivory foam rests atop the drink, going nowhere fast, stooping only to leave gobs of abstract lacing stuck on the glass.

The smell of the drink is a heavenly nectar of banana and nutty brown bread, laced with spices and a rich beery note of aromatic alcohol laced with cocoa.

The taste is wheaty and tangy, with a big ripe note of banana, a twist of lime, drizzled with dark chocolate and thin caramel. I swear I can almost feel the powdery fibers of a cocoa-covered banana as I chew on this remarkable drink. A big long-tongued white tiger mentioned something in his review of this brew as 'minty' and like the Beeman's gum 'pepsin'... yeah, I get it!

Succulent feel with a powdery linger that whispers again and again, "Cocoa-covered-bananas are gooood!" Superb drinkability. Another winner from a brewery that only brews winners.

08-28-2008 01:51:08 | More by cvstrickland
PorterLambic

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours mostly clear (misty someone called it) apricot color with a small white head.
Smell is malt, yeast, sweet with a light smokiness, citrus (lemon & tangerine), maple.
Taste is malt, spice (clove & pepper), yeast, hops, banana, wheat.
Medium full body for a wheat, slight stickiness, nice effervescence. Good stuff overall.

08-26-2008 19:29:18 | More by PorterLambic
brendan13

Australia

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

A - 500ml bottle poured into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass a cloudy dark straw colour with about an inch of dense white head that hangs around for a fair while.
S - Smell is banana & clove spice with an obvious wheatiness & some light alcohol hints.
T - A fairly sweet banana cake taste. The clove spice that is to be expected.
M - A very smooth bodied beer with a medium level of carbonation.
Banana cake taste lingers - Yummy!
D - Almost too drinkable. Probably the most drinkable 7%+ beer I've had.

08-24-2008 10:50:06 | More by brendan13