Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner VitusWeihenstephaner Vitus

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Hojaminbag for this and thanks to Coloradobobs for pimping this so relentlessly during the old LNBA threads.

Poured a 16.9oz bottle into my Brother Thelonious goblet. This beer pours a light hazy golden with a fluffy 2 inch white head that leaves no lacing. The head also doesn't stick around like most hefe's. The lack of head retention in it really surprised me. The aroma is a banana smack to the face. Huge clove, coriander, and for the very first time, I definitely get big bubble gum notes. The flavor reminds me a lot of fresh made banana bread. Big banana, clove, walnuts, and coriander. And surprisingly, once again, bubble gum. This is really the first time I have ever gotten any type of bubble gum out of a beer. The mouthfeel is a nice medium bodied hefe. This is a just another great beer from a great brewery. This would be perfect for a cool summer night.

hwwty4, Jan 11, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from the bottle a cloudy lemon-yellow with a massive dollup of white head.

Aroma of banana, bubblegum, cloves, lemon zest, and Belgian yeast.

Tastes of banana pudding, cloves, yeast, lemon zest, pineapple, wheat, and a touch of sweet and sour. Finishes clean.

Medium bodied, chewy and a bit dry, and sharply carbonated.

A beautiful beer, though I wish I had found it in the summer. I think I would have enjoyed it even more. Very drinkable and well made.

Monkeyknife, Jan 10, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

In advance of The Mother of all Gatherings at the Brick Store this weekend, I thought I'd charge my palate with ColoradoBobs favorite: V I T U S!

First off, this is really not to the Weizenbock style... but it has freakin' Weihenstephaner on the label and so I'll shut up. This is, as many reviewers have noted, more like an Imperial Hefeweizen... and there is NOTHING wrong with that!

Crack the .5 liter brown bottle and expertly pour into my authentic Vitus goblet, and am wowed immediately by the nose and visuals of this beer... greedy, I charge in for a taste...

Oh this is delicious. The whole experience is a Hefe, bigged up. Darker in color with a fat white head, the banana and spice are much more pronounced and defined. The malt bill is hefty here but the 7.7% is still hidden pretty darn well. No hops to speak of. Vitus is reminding me of a Tripel, actually, with all the clove, pepper, sour green apple and honey notes going off like crackling fireworks in my mouth... all that is missing is the booze heat and Belgian yeast and turn that banana down a notch, you'd have a super good Tripel... shoot, I don't care what this is, it is Seriously Good.

Mouthfeel is rich, creamy, full and boasts just a touch of tingly carbonation. Wunnerful.

Gosh, there is so much this beer does right... I want more. This is drinkable and delightful. Bless you, Weihenstephan! Don't change a thing.

kkipple, Jan 09, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Got this in a trade from ShrLSU - much obliged!

Pours a cloudy lemon-yellow color with a large-bubbled, two-finger white head. The head slowly recedes into a thin pancake of bubbles on top and a thick ring around the glass. Lacing is decent.

Smells just like the classic Wiehenstephaner - lots of bananas and bubble gum with hints of citrus. As the beer warms there's a very slight hint of alcohol.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Bananas and bubble gum with an underlying sweetness. These flavors carry through to the end and linger after the sip is over. Alcohol is noticeable in my nose if I breath just right.

Mouthfeel is foamy yet smooth.

Drinkability is very good. I don't think it's quite as drinkable as the classic as it's a bit sweeter and the alcohol is more noticeable, but it's still very tasty.

Overall this is certainly worth a shot by all who love Weihenstephaner, and thanks again for ShrLSU for sending this along.

glid02, Jan 08, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a cloudy lemon yellow with a long lasting head and decent lacing..very inviting. Smell is grassy, wheaty with phenol and malt undertones. Taste is surprising rich...malt complexity, slightly fruity, grassy, pleasant alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is rich, creamy, blending into a dry finish. Drinkability is excellent based upon above qualities.

edchicma, Jan 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours an unexpectedly light and relatively clear yellow/amber with an insanely massive pillowy white head. Great retention. Smell: a bit sparse, soft banana and wheat scents, slightly spicy and yeasty, but dominated by a sweet breadyness. Taste: tangy wheat, yeast, banana are most prevalent. Sweet, kind of a banana pudding thing going on here, in a good way. Other flavors buried in there: lemon, dried pineapple, clove, slight grassy + spicy hops. Ever so slight warning of the abv. Soft and creamy... a sessionable weizenbock? Uh oh.

babaracas, Jan 06, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

A big beautiful, half liter bottle sent to me from the great IBUnit63. I have been waiting a long time as one of the founding members of LNBA and being one of the last to finally have this fine brew. Served up in a Weihenstephaner Weizen glass. This one is for the great CB and the LNBAs.

A: Pours a crazy, cloudy, hazy, vibrant yellow that just glows when held to light or not. A somewhat vigorous pour yield a good two fingers of beautiful white foamy head. This head is pillowy like the clouds that ride the rainbows. The head lasts, just refuses to leave you, giving you comfort in hard times. So much damned carbonation activity. Rising quickly at first, then slowing just a bit, but always climbing throughout this beverage. This is what I have been waiting for.

S: So enticing. Got a lot of earthy goodness coming through with grains. Then the banana hits you with nut shot force. Tons of bubble gum come out as well. A touch of citrus on the nose. Sweet sugar lingers somewhere in the background. There is also a touch of floral goodness coming out that I can't quite put my finger on. DAMN!!!

T: I have had these feelings only a few times before and one that comes to memory is when I lost my virginity to a young lady who reminded me of Anna Kournikova while watching "Warriors of Virtue" (it was the lady's pick). This beer is, in fact, a hefe on steroids. So much banana in the forefront. Then the bubble gum. I have never tasted so much bubble gum goodness in a beer before. Its sweet and tasty. The grains are there along with a touch of citrus and earthy goodness, but the banana and bubble gum are so powerful, present, in your face and balance for taste all at the same time. This is friggin amazing.

M: This is a brew that is medium bodied, but on the full side. Has some weight to it. Not pansy at all. She grabs the hair and gives a tug at times. ABV is present and noticable but doesn't take away from the experience at all. Carbonation is the perfect level of high and makes this sweetheart crisp and easy on the palate. Has a somewhat slick feel to it that sticks with you, leaving bubble gum and banana in your mouth for a good while.

D: This is probably my new favorite brew. This is stupid good. I have always been a fan of German styles, and this is amazing. Damn near perfect in every category. This beer is damn tasty and goes down amazingly well and easily. I just want to drink more and I sad that I have ran through this one so fast without a backup. For now, she will be the one that got away but at least I was able to taste every part of her before she left. I long for you Vitus. VITUS!!!

everetends, Jan 03, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours hazy gold with a puffy, rocky white head. Excellent lacing down the glass. Sugary wheat aroma, lots of banana and bread in this one. Fresh-smelling, nice change from the dank basement you sometimes get with the weizenbock. Bubbly mouthfeel, although it does get syrpuy from time to time. The taste was good, but a little too sweet for me. Solid wheat and banana/yeast ester base. Loved the clove and lemon peel components as well.

Only problem I had was it was a little too sweet. Kind of got a cotton candy-sugar taste after a while, to the point I craved an IPA or something sour to wash this beer down with. At first I wanted to mark this beer down for it in the taste category, but everything that came before it was too good.

magictrokini, Jan 02, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a cloudy golden straw color with a big pillowy white head that falls to a nice cap. Smell is full of big sweet banana notes, sweetness all over this puppy. Banana definitely dominates but I can get some powdered sugar, angel food cake etc... Tastes awesome. The banana pairs with vanilla notes, slight wheat sourness and spice. As unappealing as this will sound to some, reminds me of a banana smoothie or pudding. The mouthfeel, while thick, remains plenty approachable to throw this one down quickly! Highly drinkable. Wow.

RickSawyer, Jan 01, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into my weizen glass, poured with some unbelievable head. I don't think I have enough fingers to use as a form of measurement. Retention is very good as well as lacing. Head Bright white, lacing is patchy. Beer itself is a gold straw color just slightly hazy.

Pleasant aroma. Wheat and doughy bread smells match well with the banana pinappley aroma. Some clove and spice smells are in the mix as well.

Upfront starts out with a doughy wheat malt flavor leading into the more fruity flavors much as the smell did. A lot of banana flavor. Clove spice with ever so slightly boozey alcohol warming.

Mouth feel is slightly chewy. Crisp flavors and lively carbonation.

Very drinkable, very enjoyable. Really make me wonder why I don't drink more of this one. Definitely one which was tried due to commotion on the forums usually stirred up by ColoradoBobs. But when you are right, you are right. Damn good beer.

kzoobrew, Jan 01, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

WOW!!!! This is truly an impressive beer.

It pours a hazy bright pale yellow that has a two finger creamy head that SLOWLY fades to a thin layer and leaves pretty darn good lacing. Not overly effervecent at all.

The aroma is bright with lemon citrus and bread dough with spicy hops in the back. Very strong wheat aroma as well. And hints of alcohol. Barely some bannana. OH! I get some pinnaple too, that's what it was. Very bright and complex.

The flavor is much like the aroma, with bright lemon citrus and slight spicy hops, just a little bitterness to keep things interesting, it lingers well.

This full bodied weizenbock coats the mouth oh so well. It's very creamy for the style, not overly effervecent at all, which I love.

Very VERY drinkable. Please go get one or two or three.

hoplover82, Dec 31, 2008

light gold/ straw color -- looks a little like a macro lager with a thick white head.

lemon and wheat nice citrus aroma and distince wheat yeast scents a little honey sweetness as well

Bananas pineapples and booze step to the front. citrus comes in a little later. Booze is not overwhelmeing but present in the first sip or two. Honey malt sweetness is welcome and not over powering or cloying.

Very smooth feel, good carbonation keeps the sweetness from sticking to your mouth, maintaining a fine balance.

This is a drinkable beer, better suited to a cool evening opposed to this witner night, the abv settels inwell in either case though.

mully, Dec 29, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Hazy yellow to light gold. Very light for a weizenbock. White head tall and dense/rocky but shortened by 7.7 abv as is the lace.Low banana and moderate clove spicy phenolics play with well behaved alcohol presence.
Vitus doesn't taste like a weizenbock at all, but like an imperial hefe weizen. Banana esters emerge with warming but are low
unless my cold is masking them.

Slightly fullish medium mouthfeel. High carbonation.

Unique example of Weizenbock with only most subtle hints of melanoidins.

Ultimately drinkable.

karst, Dec 18, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Here it is, the man, the myth, the legend, VVV III TTT UUU SSS!

Pours a lovely shade of gold, cloudy and inviting, as a constant stream of bubbles work their way up the glass. Gold like pineapple juice crossed with a small part honey for color depth. Huge frothy head like merengue on top of a lemon pie,, looks like it could support a dollar coin. After setting a couple of minutes, forms a nipple, with a volcano plateau in the middle, a valley around it a bubbly lacing hanging around the outside of the glass. This is how a beer should look (the whole thing, not just the nipple part.) Smells like a sweet honey wheat, backed up by lemon and citrus, with just an invitation of a sharp spice.

Tastes strongly of wheat crossed with citrus fruit. Not a bubblegum sweetness, not a cloying sweetness. Fruit taste hints at lemon, I can't put my finger on exactly what other fruit. Someone else said pineapple and that sounds good to me, but a zesty pineapple. Little bit of a spice kick to go with it, but just a dash, keeping the citrus fruit taste from being too sweet. No hop profile that I can make out, there's basically no bitterness here. The beer feels live in my mouth thanks to nice healthy carbonation, but it's not so sweet that it sticks in my mouth and throat which in this case because of the sweetness would make me want to not have more. But I want more, I most definitely do. This is dangerously drinkable, goes down easy with a crisp, refreshing fruit profile.

I don't want to give out perfect 5s where I have 4.5s, because I don't like giving out perfect marks unless something is like the greatest ever, but this is trying my resolve. I guess one drawback is that i'd like to see it a bit maltier to give it a little more backbone, but that is forgiveable. ColoradoBob gets great thanks for mentioning this in every post ever, but the patron saint of Vitus has it right here. This is a must-try brew!

damienblack, Dec 18, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours out a dark golden straw with a small haze and a bubbly white head that drops to a thin ring around the beer.

Smell. Smells rather sweet with a small honey and some turbinado sugar characteristic to it. A considerable amount of clove comes out nicely a little bit of spice jumps out, like allspice.

Taste. I really like the sweetness of this beer. Cloves dominate the flavor. I also get a little bit of a vanilla flavor to it, something i have not picked up other times i have had this beer. Aftertaste stays rather sweet, and gets a little fruity.

Mouthfeel. Body is at a good medium level, with a little bit of chewiness to it despite its high carbonation. As it warms and the carbonation drops a little, it still has a nice body that turns a bit creamy.

Overall, an excellent beer. I love this style and wish they had more available out there. The one's i've had had always reminded me of a hefe combined with a belgian. this one reminds me of between a hefe and a tripel. Great flavor and easy drinking (even at 7.7%), how can you go wrong?

acrawf6, Dec 18, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Ordered this one from Liquid Solutions, mainly because ColoradoBobs loves it.

A - Poured out a hazy, orange-yellow color with a huge, foamy, bubbly, off white head. No lacing.

S - It smelled of wheat, citrus, lemon, clove and hints of banana. Really great aroma. Similar to their hefe.

T - It had a sweet wheat flavor with banana, clove, dried fruits and some caramel malt.

M - It was sharp, crisp and smooth. A light-bodied beer with a dry finish.

D - This is a very good beer. Doesn't seem to fit the style. It has lots of weizen and very little bock.

zeff80, Dec 07, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

My second beer of the night from this brewery, and I have a half-liter to make me happy. On to the beer:

Big, dense, whipped, frothy, great looking is the head. The color is great, straw blonde, cloudy. Is this going to be their original weissbier on crack? the aroma is downright addicting as well. Very flavorful, banana, clove, lemon, ginger, cake. Oh science, I want to drink this now!

The taste does not let down. A slight kick of booze is felt. Lots of good stuff...am I baking cookies at grandma's? Clove, banana, some bubblegum flavor, sweet. This tastes like a spice cabinet. Yum! And not too much.

Is there a wheat ale they can't produce well? This is a great way to get summer flavor, but with more meat on its bones for the winter.

DoubleJ, Dec 04, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

After hearing about all of the comparisons to Aventinus, I had to give this one a shot.

A- Huh? What? Expected a much darker brew here. This one poured a very cloudy and hazy golden color with some copper tints. Nice off white head, no lace.

S- Straight up banana. This was one fruity smelling beer. Very nice clove and spice scent but overly banana and bubble gum.

T- Yes! This is why I love weizens. Tropical fruits abound with a really nice spice kick. Allspice, pineapple, banana, sugars...Not much pepper or bitnerness here. Very tasty and surprisingly complex.

M- Lots of carbonation going on here. Medium bodied. Slick. Refreshing.

D- Not as good as I had expected, but still, this was awesome. For 2.99 you cannot go wrong.

DavidSeanNJ, Dec 02, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours assertively yelllow, cloudy, with brilliant white head that is nice and pillowy.

Nose is like any other fine example of a hefe-weizen: banana, clove, fresh bready & yeasty aromas. Delightful.

Palate is more malty than a traditional hefe-weizen, with alcohol warmth apparent, but doesn't detract from the flavor. Basically comes across as a "big brother" hefe-weizen.

Very drinkable. Worth seeking.

yemenmocha, Dec 01, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

500 ml bottle poured in a pilsner for lack of a better glass option.

Pours a hazy/milky golden carbonation with a huge white head.

Smell is buttery, fruity, and malty. Bananas and spice are present.

Taste is bright and sweet, but not too sweet. It is balanced by some spicy hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is light, light like a feather. Not thin, just wonderfully light. This is what a light beer should be.

Wonderfully drinkable 7.7 abv beer. I had been wondering what the buzz surrounding this beer, and now I know.

aubuc1, Nov 21, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

picked up last weekend at Belmont Station... I've been wanting to try this for a while since ColoradoBob began pimping it a while back... here we go... poured into my smaller weizen glass.

Nice 3 finger head... pillowy.. not alot of lace.. but I'm not complaining.. the brew is glowing straw... pretty.

aroma is like a banana smoothy... clove is fairly present ... but the esters outweigh the phenols significantly.. maybe some bubblegum as it warms... smells fairly thick.

this is thick... again... like a banana milkshake.. very smooth and soft palate.. pale malt sweetness without a caramel in sight... very nice... finish is long and grainy.. with a trailing banana essence... yummy.

Drinkability is my only complaint.. and that really isn't a complaint.. I would just have problem with more than one bottle... I would be too full to think about another.

I wish we still had access to Weihenstephaner in Boise.. the source dried up probably about 4 years ago... I have forgotten how much I appreciate their beers... this is a classic.

3.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/3.5

JohnGalt1, Nov 20, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle@home, shared with my old man.

A: Golden yellow with a generous, firm white head. Looks very inviting!

S: Wheat, Yeast, Spices, Banana marshmallow, Hay.

T: Wheat, Fruit, Citric notes, Yeast, Spices, Cloves.

M: Refreshing wth a acidic touch and plenty of carbonation with a solid malt backbone.

Wow, this tastes like a Wiehenstephaner Hefe with lots more body. Very drinkable and tasty. Recommended!

baggio, Nov 18, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

pint bottle poured into a flute. pours a pale yellowish straw color with a sizable, tight white head that leaves no lacings and takes a few minutes to subside.

aroma is of light wheat malt, with notes of citrusy hops and lightly bready malt. more of a hefeweizen in the nose than a weizenbock.

taste follows the aroma, with a more pronounced malt backbone, but still a presistant citrus quality that does not make it to the finish, leaving the palate with a mildly crisp character and light wheat malt notes.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a acidity from the citrus notes and a mildly bland character from the wheat malt.

drinkability is good, this is just not what one would come to expect from a weizenbock. for what it is, it is a well proportioned and nicely crafted brew, it is just not malty enough for a bock.

botham, Nov 17, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Vitus pours a hazy straw yellow color with a very large bright white head that had good retention for most of the beer. I expected for this beer to a bit darker. The nose smells of a good hefe with plenty of banana, cloves, and apples and pears. The flavor follows the nose to perfection, but it also adds in some bubblegum, lemons, and the classic wheat flavor comes in very nice as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some gentle alcohol warming on the backend of things. This is very drinkable and drinks like their regular hefe with more alcohol and plenty of flavor.

TheodorHerzl, Nov 17, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured a light golden color with nice fluffy white head that lasted a while. I was surprised by the lightness of the color. The aroma was very citrusy. The taste was a flavorful balance of bananas, spice, citrus, and wheat. The mouthfeel was very nice. Despite its 7.7% abv this is an extremely drinkable beer that hides its alcohol well.

biggmike, Nov 13, 2008