Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner VitusWeihenstephaner Vitus

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,089 | Hads: 3,097
4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I poured this weizenbock from a 16.9oz brown bottle into my tall Erdinger glass.

A= This beer is a sight to behold for sure. I poured it at just below cellar temperature and the head was amazing - 3" of snow white foam on top of a cloudy, pale gold beer. Huge amounts of carbonation release present.

S= I was really surprised that the aromas of this beer reminded me of Belgian yeasts rather than the usual German weiss. Instead of overpowering banana and clove, I found those aromas muted along side chalky, funky yeast and green apples and pears.

T= This beer tastes like an amped up, German version of a Belgian Wit (and I mean that as a compliment). I tasted much the same as I found in the aroma - banana, clove, green orchard fruits, and yeast. Very little hop presence. Alcohol was not a factor despite the ABV. Slightly tart/dry finish.

MF= Despite the huge carbonation level, this beer had a soft mouthfeel. Coated my tongue with pleasant tartness making me want more.

D= Wow, this was a damn good beer, easily the best German weiss bier I have ever had. I can see myself drinking a bunch more of these!

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

After months of desperation, I finally drove to South Carolina and picked up several bottles of this stuff -- why can't I get it in Atlanta yet, when other Weihenstephaner beers are easy to obtain? Anyway, I love hefeweizens (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is my all-time favorite beer), as well as Schneider Aventinus (thus far, the only other true weizenbock I've had). As such, I HAD to try Vitus.

I poured a 500ml bottle into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass. [EDIT: Half-liter, chalice-type Vitus glasses do exist, and as of December 2010, I own three of them. They're among my favorite glasses in my collection -- seek some out!]

Appearance: Frankly, before I read the reviews here, I expected Vitus to appear darker -- at least the hue of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel. Instead, it's actually about the same color as a regular Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but somehow it's less cloudy. In fact, it looks like a "lighter" beer than your average unfiltered hefeweizen, which is saying something. After a solid weizen pour, I got a nice four-finger head, which receded far more quickly than the head on a standard Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. I got minimal lacing throughout drinking. Interestingly, there is considerably less yeasty sediment in Vitus than in almost any other unfiltered wheat beer I've had. On the whole, I think I prefer the appearance of this brewery's regular hefeweizen to the appearance of Vitus, but Vitus's looks belie its aroma and flavor.

Smell: I've got to give this a 5.0 -- it smells familiar and unique at the same time, and the scent ultimately makes you desperate to taste the beer. As has been echoed in other reviews, Vitus smells like an "imperialized" version of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, which I guess it kind of is. I get a deep, rich series of aromas, starting with sweet banana bread. Yeast is also prominent in the nose, as are cloves and a hint of citrus. Now, unlike some others who have reviewed Vitus, I DON'T pick up a "lemon meringue" scent...instead, the lingering smells are of banana bread, yeast, and finally old-fashioned bubble gum.

Taste: As with other Weihenstephaner offerings, the taste follows the nose. The best way I think I can describe this would be to say that it tastes like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but with a much stronger dose of cloves and easily perceptible alcohol. I taste cloves, yeasty bread, cloves, something faintly citric, cloves, and cloves. That "old-fashioned bubble gum" thing is there, too, but it's difficult to pin down. It seems to come and go at times during each sip.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is about on par with Weihenstephaner's other wheat beers, which is to say that there's quite a bit of it. That, along with the higher ABV and stronger clove flavor, makes for quite a prickly quaff. Honestly, the mouthfeel of this one is more aggressive than I expected; I guess I've just grown accustomed to "regular" hefeweizens. Still, it's cold and refreshing, and the mouthfeel is still superb -- creamier than most hefeweizens, but not as thick as many weizenbocks (particularly dark ones).

Drinkability: The smell is fantastic, and the flavor is great. Even with a relatively aggressive mouthfeel for its style, this is a highly drinkable beer. The ABV does sneak up on you, though, even if the alcohol isn't totally hidden. If you like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, I think you've got to try this one. Just be warned that the mouthfeel and ABV might challenge you a bit as a wheat beer fan. I've found these aspects of Vitus to get better with repeated tastings, though.

I've got to tell you, I still like vintage Schneider Aventinus (and good old Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier) somewhat better than Vitus. I find it a bit confusing that Aventinus and Vitus are both weizenbocks, as they are DRASTICALLY different from each other in nearly every way. I think maybe this should be called an "imperial hefeweizen," while darker, toastier wheat beers with higher ABV (like Aventinus) might be termed "weizenbocks."

In mid-March of 2009, Vitus finally made it into Georgia, thanks to the help of a devoted group of Vitus Advocates. And this led me to discover that Vitus purchased right here at home looks, smells, tastes, feels, and generally drinks better than Vitus purchased elsewhere. Thank God Vitus is finally here!

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Weihenstephaner is my undiputed favorite brewer. Served in my Weihenstephaner hefeweizen glass. Copper color with strong aroma of bananas and cloves. Detected scent of lemon? I could could have several of these if it weren't over 7% abv. Highly recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a hazy saffron color into my Franziskaner weizen glass. Big 3 finger head is pure white, not much lacing. Good retention.
Aroma is lemon meringue, banana oil, flowers, clove, and a hint of copper.
Tastes like an imperialized version of a hefeweizen. Not a lot of dark, chewy, bready malt flavor at all. This beer is focused around banana, lemon, and clove. Also a touch of vanilla. Not bad, but certainly lacking the complexity a darker weizenbock (like Aventinus) would likely provide.
Highly carbonated, but not overly so. Medium body with a sticky banana pith finish. Classic Weihenstephaner drinkability.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

A cellar-temperature bomber of the elixir, secured in a daring cross-border raid of a hapless Harris-Teeter in southern Virginia, poured into a weizen glass yields a bright golden body with a bit of haze and butter-yellow highlights. A huge cap of soft ivory foam rests atop the drink, going nowhere fast, stooping only to leave gobs of abstract lacing stuck on the glass.

The smell of the drink is a heavenly nectar of banana and nutty brown bread, laced with spices and a rich beery note of aromatic alcohol laced with cocoa.

The taste is wheaty and tangy, with a big ripe note of banana, a twist of lime, drizzled with dark chocolate and thin caramel. I swear I can almost feel the powdery fibers of a cocoa-covered banana as I chew on this remarkable drink. A big long-tongued white tiger mentioned something in his review of this brew as 'minty' and like the Beeman's gum 'pepsin'... yeah, I get it!

Succulent feel with a powdery linger that whispers again and again, "Cocoa-covered-bananas are gooood!" Superb drinkability. Another winner from a brewery that only brews winners.

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours mostly clear (misty someone called it) apricot color with a small white head.
Smell is malt, yeast, sweet with a light smokiness, citrus (lemon & tangerine), maple.
Taste is malt, spice (clove & pepper), yeast, hops, banana, wheat.
Medium full body for a wheat, slight stickiness, nice effervescence. Good stuff overall.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

A - 500ml bottle poured into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass a cloudy dark straw colour with about an inch of dense white head that hangs around for a fair while.
S - Smell is banana & clove spice with an obvious wheatiness & some light alcohol hints.
T - A fairly sweet banana cake taste. The clove spice that is to be expected.
M - A very smooth bodied beer with a medium level of carbonation.
Banana cake taste lingers - Yummy!
D - Almost too drinkable. Probably the most drinkable 7%+ beer I've had.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a weizen glass. Had a yellowish-brown color and a cloudy consistency. There was a big amount of head, but it wasn't particularly long-lasting.

S: Smelled strongly of wheat, bananas and spices.

T: Bananas, wheat, that bubblegum flavor you find in hefeweizens and spices all on display here. The alcohol is a bit too present for my taste.

M: This one had a surprisingly average amount of carbonation (for a Weihenstephaner), but did have a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a drinkable beer, but it's not at the top of my list. As I said, the alcohol is too prevalent in the taste department. Not bad, otherwise.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a slightly hazy deep yellow, some darker orange highlights, big dense, creamy white head fades very slowly, leaves behind big clumps of lacing on the glass. The bubbles put on a show in the glass. Spicy clove and banana aroma, some lemon. Taste is banana bread, with a big dose of lemony tartness, spicy clove. Creamy mouthfeel, and just a touch of stickiness, but still pretty refreshing. I might not have tried this if it weren't for all the recent chatter about this beer...which is what makes BA great! This one is extremely tasty.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

Appears a cloudy dark orangish gold with a two finger white head. Quite pale for a weizenbock, it almost looks like a regular Hefeweizen. Big fat head and lots of lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma is also similar to a Hefeweizen with banana and clove, some lemon, but with more alcohol.

Taste is similar to the aroma with banana and wheat malt up front with some clove, fruit, and a bit of an alcoholic bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-full, very nice and smooth.

Not really what I expected in a weizenbock, but it's still very tasty. Good stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

recommended highly by ColoradoBobs, so i finally grabbed some.

A: gorgeous, the perfect white head is some of the best i have ever seen, done, its thick sticky white on top of a straw to amber beer

S: very herbal and floral maybe some fruit sweetness.

T: i almost gave this a 4 simply because its very herbal spicy floral like the aroma portends this is not my fav taste, but it is extremely good just the same

this beer has become a LNBA staple and i have been meaning to try it. it comes off very spicy or herbaly if you want to call it whatever. its very good and mellows as it warms

enjoy it, try it, or CB will find you

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a lightly hazy yellow color with a slight orange tint. Large, stiff, and rocky head that settles slowly to a nice cap, leaving some sticky patches of lace on the way down.

S: Big, bold, and complex. The typical banana and clove are there in a big way, but some other aromas make their entrance, as well. Smells of bubblegum and candied fruit lie beneath the clove/banana aspect.

T&M: Initially sweet with loads of the bubblegum flavor followed by a lightly spicy finish that showcases some almost mint like flavor. It's definitely a big beer--lots of flavor and complexity here. Body is medium-full with a fine carbonation and a crisp, dry finish that lingers.

D: High in ABV, but wonderful in flavor. I could drink a few of these. Yet *another* great beer from Weihenstephan. Then again, they should have everything perfected by now--they've only had almost 1,000 years to work on it.

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A: Pours quite light for a weizenbock, a nice hazy golden yellow and topped with a rather disapointgly thin half and inch of creamy pure white, though I blame myself for a rather substandard pour so I can't fault the beer all that much. Some mild lacing left behind as well.

S: Lemon and wheaty zestiness coupled with fairly strong bananna and clove overtones. Mild honey and bubble gum with thick and bready malts, very nice. Smells much like a hefe rather than a weizenbock but still very good.

T/MF: Zesty lemon bananna and clove spiceiness, but a huge bananna bread and lemon and oragne peel bready sweetness with a smooth and mild creamy orange slice finish. Mouthfeel is a wonderful balance between creamy and bubbly, alcholo is well hidden in both taste and feel, this beer is so incredibly smooth.

D: I'd say this beer lives up to the recent hype around it, incredibly drinkable, smooth, flavorful and wonderfully balanced for its size, an excellent beer on a hot August day.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

This has been on my radar for a long time. I was able to score a few bottles from State Line in Elkton.
Appears a hazy, medium gold with a small white head that slowly fades out into a gentle collar. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of bubble gum, cloves, banana, and tart wheat.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with tart flavors and mild caramel duking it out between the estery, classic Bavarian yeast strain.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly carbonated, smooth, and very drinkable for 7.7% abv.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a nice cloudy yellow/light orange with a beautiful fizzy white head. Nose is solid banana wheat. Taste follows with balls out banana and clovey bubblegum wheat yeast german mouthgasm goodness. Mouthfeel is solid and drinkability is second to none. Hands down one of the best beers and best breweries in the world. Awesome. Thats right ColoradoBobs! AWESOME!

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 1pt .9oz bottle into a Weihenstephaner weiss glass.

A - Poured a hazy yellow color with slight orange hues. The pour produced a gigantic head of cloudy white foam and non-stop streams of bubbles, trying to make there way to the top of the glass.

S - The smell was very malty/yeasty. Definite hints of spice (clove?), and banana laffy taffe candy. Slightly musty.

T - Spicy and slightly sweet up front. Finishes off slightly dry with a bit of alcoholic warmth. Paired very well with a nice hunk of Jarlesberg cheese.

MF&D - Good overall mouth feel, much like a good weiss beer, but be careful, at 7.7% ABV this one could sneak up on you.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

On ColoradoBobs' insistence, I picked this one up. Into my weizen glass

A: Light golden yellow with a massive, billowing, white head. Plenty of carbonation. Pretty!

S: Unique. Definite wheat characteristics with plenty of esters - a combination of bubblegum, banana, bread dough, cotton candy. Intriguing stuff

T: Taking a long, hard swig of this, i'm struck by how estery this is. The bubblegum is particularly prominent, as is the banana (it's more akin to banana-flavored yogurt than to the real deal) and the complex sweetness of this. Finishes rather dry

M: Excellent carbonation really brings out all the flavors that this beer has. Great finish to boot

D: I don't think i've had a weizenbock this estery. The Schneider-Brooklyner had the hops to balance them out while this is more "traditional", I guess. However, I have a problem drinking sweeter beers and this is no different. A well-crafted beer, nonetheless.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Weihenstephaner Vitus pours a hazy yellow with a thick white head from a brown half liter bottle. Banana, bubblegum and clove are all present in the aroma. Lots of banana and bubblegum in the taste. A touch of clove too. Honey and wheat are also present. Excellent, I was a bit surprised by the color, but it's really nice.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Before I review this beer, I must preface it by saying that I am not a big wheat beer fan. That said, here we go...

Appearance: The beer pours with a huge 3" head after a pretty delicate pour. A minute or so after the pour, the head is at least half of its original height. The beer itself is a mostly clear light golden color with a few bubbles rising...though the head stands anyway. There is tons of lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer.

Aroma: Lots of bready wheat aromatics along with some fruity banana and lemons and even a light hint of spiciness. As the beer sits and the head mellows a little bit, you can pick up some more toasty aromas that are a little like bread crusts.

Taste: There is a whole lot of fruitiness to this beer, but it isn't so much that it is undrinkable like some brews. It actually has a balance between the fruit and malt. The beer is well attenuated, but there is some evident creaminess to it that makes the mouthfeel rather lush. As it warms up some, the fruity esters soften up some and let the malt come out. Late after the sip, there is some warming that sets in on the back of the throat and waits for the next sip to relinquish control.

Opinion: I actually like this beer quite a bit...and that surprises me as there are some of the flavors that I find rather objectionable in other light HefeWeizen brews. This beer has enough malt presence and supporting flavors to keep the palate confused enough to be able to focus on any one thing. This is a really complex beer. It doesn't have the dark fruit presence of Aventinus, but is still a good brew in its own right.

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%

500ml bottle poured into a large tulip glass. Had been awaiting my attempt at this beer.

A: Clouldy light orange with non stop bubbles constantly building off of one another. The head stayed for a bit but came down with a filmy top that didnt go anywhere. Even the drip of the film and the lacing looked good. Has that weizen/belgiany enticing inviting look.

N: Spices, banana bread, malty sweetness. A whole lot. The clove began to dominate as it warmed in the nose. Ground coriander from a pumpkin pie lent some flavor oddly enough.

T: Delicious. Absolutely delicious. The yeasty flavors with the extra sting of the spices and malts is just rounded out to near perfection. The alcohol is in no way noticeable, would never have ventured a guess that it would have come in that high. The bubblegum and banana left me wanting a ton more.

M: Thick, full, sticky and coating. No alcohol burn that usually comes right in with the bubblegums of top notch weizenbocks. Fluffy and thick- not sure how some saw as hot but I didnt catch it.

D: Enjoyable to no end, cant wait to get some more of this. Top notch and goes down so easy for something of this style.

This is a tremendous beer. What a brewery they have going over there- time has done them well. A beautiful beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy straw color with a big, rocky head that leaves clumps of lace

Smell: Cloves dominate the aroma, with some banana, bubblegum and white pepper

Taste: Crusty bread, spicy clove and pepper tingle the tastebuds at the outset, with characteristic banana flavors developing underneath; after the swallow, the flavors continue to build in a peppery, but fruity direction, and the whole effect is somewhat chalky as well

Mouthfeel: Medium body with prickly carbonation; some warmth from the alcohol

Drinkability: Really enjoy the balanced and complex flavor profile; who knew a weizenbock could be so pale?

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Beautiful, hazy orange yellow like a good wit. Perfect head.

Smell: Fruity, clovey, estery delicious.

Taste: Spicy, sweet but perfectly balanced by the zest, the only other weizenbock I've had is Aventinus, still the gold standard, and this is nothing like it. The alcohol is warming and lingers in the finish but not in a bad way.

Mouthfeel: Light airy and still somehow creamy.

Drinkability: This was suprisingly good, I'll have to retry the hefe which did little for me the first time around. Though the Korbinian was also impressive.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a weizen glass from a bottle.

A - The beer pours a light hazy straw, forming a thick off-white head. Light spots of lace along the glass.

S - Strong delicious aroma of banana bread!!

T - Thick wheat up front, along with a great amount of banana and clove, and ending with a slight hint of alcohol.

M - Slightly thick mouthfeel. Low carbonation and very smooth finish.

D - Full delicious flavor with a slightly high alcohol level. Maybe not a session ale, but nonetheless a beer style that cant be passed up. This is the first weizenbock that I've experienced, and I must say it has opened a new door to me in the world of wheat beers. I love it!!!!

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

(Served in a weizen glass)

A- This beer has a slightly hazy pale straw yellow body with a sticky bubbly meniscus of antique white foam on top that last and last. There is a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles that supports the head.

S- This beer has nice big dry white bread dough aroma with a club soda hint and lemon notes. There is a green hop finish and a soft fusel alcohol note to the finish.

T- The taste of dry white bread crust gives way to pale malt and some lighter wheat malt notes. There is a light fruity lemon hint followed by a leafy green hop finish with a soft pale malt note.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a fizzy finish and a soft alcohol heat that comes through as the beer warms.

D- The nice dry flavors make this beer smooth and easy to drink with the flavor and aroma really enhancing each other. The lemon notes are very pleasant but get a bit tangy when it warms. Although there are some light alcohol notes it doesn't really taste like a 7.7%ABV beer.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

500ml bottle

Vitus pours an intriguing bright, hazy yellow color with a huge sticky white head. The nose is big with mellow wheat, banana notes, a subtle woodyness, cloves and other spices. A smooth wheat texture is the first thing i noticed, no graininess just a velvety smooth body. The banana and cloves carry over from the nose and produce the balance of its taste. A semi-sweet banana/apricot/peach after taste lingers and there is not sign of the 7.7% abv. Lightly carbonated, hidden strength, just enough complexity, this one is a knock out.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan