Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner VitusWeihenstephaner Vitus

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,099 | Hads: 3,135

I have always enjoyed the beers from Weihenstephaner that I've had in the past. Their berliner weisse is delicious. So let's stick with the wheats and give the Weizenbock a go.

Pours an almost viscous cloudy lemon color with a pretty white tuft of foam on top. The head recedes fairly fast but leaves a healthy ring of lace. A steady stream of carbonation keeps it afloat for the duration as well. The nose is big malty banana mixed in with some lemon, starfruit, and sweet saltwater taffy. Faint pepper. Light in character, but dense like a weizenbock should be. Still, I get none of the typical weizenbock notes of strong spice or dark fruit. This one is much more citrusy in nature. But it's certainly not a bad scent. Taste is rich and malty up front, with an initial tang. That mellows out a bit to a banana smoothie taste, and ends again with a strong lemon pinch in the back of the mouth. Mouthfeel is bubbly but creamy at the same time.

Man, I'm torn between giving this a really good review because I thoroughly enjoy the beer, or giving it a marginal review because I don't think it represents the style very well. Oh my, what a conundrum. Screw it, it's a good beer, even if it's not the best weizenbock. It's a bit boozy in the end, but a totally drinkable brew here. Give me more Vitus!

3.48/5  rDev -18.1%

A yawning, white tiger told me to buy this in a dream.

A ~ A vigorous pour from a 16.9oz bottle into my Duvel tulip produced a towering, foamy white head over a cloudy, golden honey colored brew. The head quickly compressed to a buttery, solid 1/4" foam with good retention. Tight beads of bubbles rise to the head. Pretty beer ~ I was expecting something a little darker.

S ~ Banana, bubblegum, ripe pears, faint hints of dark fruit & aromatic spice. Lemon rinds. Clove. Not unpleasant, again ~ not what I expected. In the nose this reminds me more of a Hefeweizen. Wheaty.

T ~ Spicy, aromatic clove & allspice. There is a malty, grain (wheat) presence that seems to balance the yeast & the fruity byproduct banana & bubblegum flavors. Nothing bitter, but a little sharp or peppery on the backside.

M/D ~ The mouth is smooth & malty. Nice level of carbonation & a nice spicy finish. A little heat at the back of the throat is a gentle reminder that this is 7.7% ABV. While I'm still confused with the classification & I admittedly have much to learn about beer in general & specific styles ~ I found this more balanced & less perfumey than other Hefeweizens that I've sampled. I had some pre- determined idea of a "BOCK" style beer based on ancient memories of my Grandpa's dark, rich bock beer. This ~ to me, was more of an Imperial Hefeweizen or perhaps a Hefe Hybrid. Still a nice diversion from my regular excursions into the beer universe...AND~ cheap too! Picked up a couple for $2.99 on sale at my local bottle shop.
This beer reminds me of the seasons changing, cool fall evenings, Thanksgiving, Christmas...but worth a try anytime if you can get it. Very approachable & recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from Euro-bottle into weizen glass.

A: Light hazy golden amber coloring with huge pillowy head. Nice looking brew.

S: Very nice nose, wheat tones along with definite spiciness and banana tones which I would expect. Great smelling brew.

T & M: Nice quite as strong as the Aventinus which I feel is the pinnacle of this style. I found this to have the same qualities of a regular hef which for a Weihenstephaner is just fine with me. Taste had wheat tones along with some fruity textures. Mouthfeel is full.

D: Definite drinkable, I just had a hard time believing that this was a weizenbock.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours cloudy lemon yellow with a thick pillowy white head.

Aroma is yeasty, peppery and spicy. Sweet with banana and light fruit.

Taste is similar to the nose. Sweet pale malt, and generous clove. Very tasty light fruitiness consisting of banana, pineapple, apple, and zesty lemon. Surprisingly wheaty and grainy. Finish has a peppery spice bite with plenty of coriander, clove, and bubblegum.

Mouthfeel is quite creamy and smooth.

Very drinkable and tasty brew. However, I don't get the complex dark fruit aspect I had expected from a weizenbock, and the yeasty character was unexpectedly strong. Instead, I would call this an 'uber-hefe' as this is in my opinion a truly wonderful hefe.

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured into a Weizen glass, which it filled with a giant, gratifying, puffy head that took its time dissipating. Unfiltered, so it's cloudy in the glass but still quite bright in color. The aroma is not a typical wheat-beer aroma; although there's plenty of banana and clove, a strong whiff of citrus is there along with a bit of what my wife described as "can." Tin, perhaps. The taste is what you would expect from a wheat beer, but the alcohol is high enough to add more spice and some bitterness that a weizen with a lower ABV lacks. While tasty, the Vitus is a bit too boozy a wheat beer for my liking. Worth a try, nonetheless.

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

I was expecting a darker beer, given what I know about the Weizenbock style, but the Vitus pours a pale, unfiltered gold into a smaller tulip glass. Copious head, but it reduces to a neat layer for the rest of the way down. Aroma is of intense bananas-- imagine five times your typical Hefeweizen-- spice, and alcohol.

Taste is nice, definitely some alcohol there, but the fruitiness, carbonation and typical Hefeweizen-like profile-- yeasty phenols and the like-- balance the booze. Luscious, creamy mouthfeel. One of the most drinkable strong beers (7.7%) I've had. Maybe I don't know any better, but the Vitus is essentially like a Hefeweizen cranked up a notch or two. If you want a strong beer that's also refreshing, look no further. The Vitus doesn't strike me as terribly complex and heavy, but that's not a bad thing.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a cloudy straw color with a huge white head that lingers, making thick lacing down the glass. The smell is doughy and fruity -- lots of banana, as is to be expected. Taste moves from subtle fruit to sharp yeast snap to big clovey fruit to a hot hop bitterness -- very complex and delicious. It's got a nice smooth, full body to it, very foamy but not too fizzy. It's a quenching drink for being so big a beer. I generally just have one 0.5 L bottle at a time: plenty but not too much.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Poured golden, hazy yellow with a beautiful head that didn't seem to want to go away.
S - fruity - has banana, clove and a little bit of spice
T - banana and spices with a huge kick of banana and a of hops and bit alcohol burn in the aftertaste.
Mf - smooth and full
D - This is a great beer, it is like their hefeweizen amped up a little. It is delicious beer, Weihenstaphaner delivers yet again. However, having more than a couple could make you start feeling a little too good due to the 7.7% alcohol content.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Orangish-brown glow, very bright. Not near as dark as most weizenbocks I have seen. Lumpy off-white head...HUGE. Excellent retention and lacing as well.

S - Jacked up hefeweizen comes to mind. Strong aroma of banana and clove with hints of orange peel and bubble gum as well. A very deep and intense aroma.

T - A light biscuity taste up front quickly overcome by strong tastes of banana, bubble gum, and clove.

M/D - A very full bodied and chewy feel. Great carbonation brings the beer to life. An excellent beer. While not your typical weizenbock, but still damn tasty.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Widmer Hefeweizen glass.

A: cloudy yellow color with hints of orange near the top. Lots of bubbles scurrying to the surface creating a thick and plentiful snowy layer of thick white head.

S: An array of spices tickle the nose, with fruity esters bouncing around wetting the palate. The scent reminds me of a traditional Hefe or Wit with the banana esters prevalent. Surprising considering this is a German beer, not Belgian.

T&M: Taste is similar to the scent, lots of banana bread flavors, slight citrus punch. Somewhat sweet aftertaste that has the properties of sweet molasses. Very crisp and refreshing. Goes down smooth, with exceptional taste that lingers and sweetens near the end.

D: Great taste and aroma. This is definitely a great beer and one of the first and only beers I've had in this style. I will definitely be exploring this style further. I still can't believe this is German and not Belgian as the properties are very similar. It still has that malty Bock feel to it though so connoisseurs could still identify this accurately...but it'd be a tough call. This is like a fusion of a German Hefe and a Belgian Wit with the ABV of a Bock. Awesomeness.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I poured this weizenbock from a 16.9oz brown bottle into my tall Erdinger glass.

A= This beer is a sight to behold for sure. I poured it at just below cellar temperature and the head was amazing - 3" of snow white foam on top of a cloudy, pale gold beer. Huge amounts of carbonation release present.

S= I was really surprised that the aromas of this beer reminded me of Belgian yeasts rather than the usual German weiss. Instead of overpowering banana and clove, I found those aromas muted along side chalky, funky yeast and green apples and pears.

T= This beer tastes like an amped up, German version of a Belgian Wit (and I mean that as a compliment). I tasted much the same as I found in the aroma - banana, clove, green orchard fruits, and yeast. Very little hop presence. Alcohol was not a factor despite the ABV. Slightly tart/dry finish.

MF= Despite the huge carbonation level, this beer had a soft mouthfeel. Coated my tongue with pleasant tartness making me want more.

D= Wow, this was a damn good beer, easily the best German weiss bier I have ever had. I can see myself drinking a bunch more of these!

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

After months of desperation, I finally drove to South Carolina and picked up several bottles of this stuff -- why can't I get it in Atlanta yet, when other Weihenstephaner beers are easy to obtain? Anyway, I love hefeweizens (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is my all-time favorite beer), as well as Schneider Aventinus (thus far, the only other true weizenbock I've had). As such, I HAD to try Vitus.

I poured a 500ml bottle into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass. [EDIT: Half-liter, chalice-type Vitus glasses do exist, and as of December 2010, I own three of them. They're among my favorite glasses in my collection -- seek some out!]

Appearance: Frankly, before I read the reviews here, I expected Vitus to appear darker -- at least the hue of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel. Instead, it's actually about the same color as a regular Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but somehow it's less cloudy. In fact, it looks like a "lighter" beer than your average unfiltered hefeweizen, which is saying something. After a solid weizen pour, I got a nice four-finger head, which receded far more quickly than the head on a standard Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. I got minimal lacing throughout drinking. Interestingly, there is considerably less yeasty sediment in Vitus than in almost any other unfiltered wheat beer I've had. On the whole, I think I prefer the appearance of this brewery's regular hefeweizen to the appearance of Vitus, but Vitus's looks belie its aroma and flavor.

Smell: I've got to give this a 5.0 -- it smells familiar and unique at the same time, and the scent ultimately makes you desperate to taste the beer. As has been echoed in other reviews, Vitus smells like an "imperialized" version of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, which I guess it kind of is. I get a deep, rich series of aromas, starting with sweet banana bread. Yeast is also prominent in the nose, as are cloves and a hint of citrus. Now, unlike some others who have reviewed Vitus, I DON'T pick up a "lemon meringue" scent...instead, the lingering smells are of banana bread, yeast, and finally old-fashioned bubble gum.

Taste: As with other Weihenstephaner offerings, the taste follows the nose. The best way I think I can describe this would be to say that it tastes like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but with a much stronger dose of cloves and easily perceptible alcohol. I taste cloves, yeasty bread, cloves, something faintly citric, cloves, and cloves. That "old-fashioned bubble gum" thing is there, too, but it's difficult to pin down. It seems to come and go at times during each sip.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is about on par with Weihenstephaner's other wheat beers, which is to say that there's quite a bit of it. That, along with the higher ABV and stronger clove flavor, makes for quite a prickly quaff. Honestly, the mouthfeel of this one is more aggressive than I expected; I guess I've just grown accustomed to "regular" hefeweizens. Still, it's cold and refreshing, and the mouthfeel is still superb -- creamier than most hefeweizens, but not as thick as many weizenbocks (particularly dark ones).

Drinkability: The smell is fantastic, and the flavor is great. Even with a relatively aggressive mouthfeel for its style, this is a highly drinkable beer. The ABV does sneak up on you, though, even if the alcohol isn't totally hidden. If you like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, I think you've got to try this one. Just be warned that the mouthfeel and ABV might challenge you a bit as a wheat beer fan. I've found these aspects of Vitus to get better with repeated tastings, though.

I've got to tell you, I still like vintage Schneider Aventinus (and good old Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier) somewhat better than Vitus. I find it a bit confusing that Aventinus and Vitus are both weizenbocks, as they are DRASTICALLY different from each other in nearly every way. I think maybe this should be called an "imperial hefeweizen," while darker, toastier wheat beers with higher ABV (like Aventinus) might be termed "weizenbocks."

In mid-March of 2009, Vitus finally made it into Georgia, thanks to the help of a devoted group of Vitus Advocates. And this led me to discover that Vitus purchased right here at home looks, smells, tastes, feels, and generally drinks better than Vitus purchased elsewhere. Thank God Vitus is finally here!

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Weihenstephaner is my undiputed favorite brewer. Served in my Weihenstephaner hefeweizen glass. Copper color with strong aroma of bananas and cloves. Detected scent of lemon? I could could have several of these if it weren't over 7% abv. Highly recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a hazy saffron color into my Franziskaner weizen glass. Big 3 finger head is pure white, not much lacing. Good retention.
Aroma is lemon meringue, banana oil, flowers, clove, and a hint of copper.
Tastes like an imperialized version of a hefeweizen. Not a lot of dark, chewy, bready malt flavor at all. This beer is focused around banana, lemon, and clove. Also a touch of vanilla. Not bad, but certainly lacking the complexity a darker weizenbock (like Aventinus) would likely provide.
Highly carbonated, but not overly so. Medium body with a sticky banana pith finish. Classic Weihenstephaner drinkability.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

A cellar-temperature bomber of the elixir, secured in a daring cross-border raid of a hapless Harris-Teeter in southern Virginia, poured into a weizen glass yields a bright golden body with a bit of haze and butter-yellow highlights. A huge cap of soft ivory foam rests atop the drink, going nowhere fast, stooping only to leave gobs of abstract lacing stuck on the glass.

The smell of the drink is a heavenly nectar of banana and nutty brown bread, laced with spices and a rich beery note of aromatic alcohol laced with cocoa.

The taste is wheaty and tangy, with a big ripe note of banana, a twist of lime, drizzled with dark chocolate and thin caramel. I swear I can almost feel the powdery fibers of a cocoa-covered banana as I chew on this remarkable drink. A big long-tongued white tiger mentioned something in his review of this brew as 'minty' and like the Beeman's gum 'pepsin'... yeah, I get it!

Succulent feel with a powdery linger that whispers again and again, "Cocoa-covered-bananas are gooood!" Superb drinkability. Another winner from a brewery that only brews winners.

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours mostly clear (misty someone called it) apricot color with a small white head.
Smell is malt, yeast, sweet with a light smokiness, citrus (lemon & tangerine), maple.
Taste is malt, spice (clove & pepper), yeast, hops, banana, wheat.
Medium full body for a wheat, slight stickiness, nice effervescence. Good stuff overall.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

A - 500ml bottle poured into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass a cloudy dark straw colour with about an inch of dense white head that hangs around for a fair while.
S - Smell is banana & clove spice with an obvious wheatiness & some light alcohol hints.
T - A fairly sweet banana cake taste. The clove spice that is to be expected.
M - A very smooth bodied beer with a medium level of carbonation.
Banana cake taste lingers - Yummy!
D - Almost too drinkable. Probably the most drinkable 7%+ beer I've had.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a weizen glass. Had a yellowish-brown color and a cloudy consistency. There was a big amount of head, but it wasn't particularly long-lasting.

S: Smelled strongly of wheat, bananas and spices.

T: Bananas, wheat, that bubblegum flavor you find in hefeweizens and spices all on display here. The alcohol is a bit too present for my taste.

M: This one had a surprisingly average amount of carbonation (for a Weihenstephaner), but did have a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a drinkable beer, but it's not at the top of my list. As I said, the alcohol is too prevalent in the taste department. Not bad, otherwise.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a slightly hazy deep yellow, some darker orange highlights, big dense, creamy white head fades very slowly, leaves behind big clumps of lacing on the glass. The bubbles put on a show in the glass. Spicy clove and banana aroma, some lemon. Taste is banana bread, with a big dose of lemony tartness, spicy clove. Creamy mouthfeel, and just a touch of stickiness, but still pretty refreshing. I might not have tried this if it weren't for all the recent chatter about this beer...which is what makes BA great! This one is extremely tasty.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

Appears a cloudy dark orangish gold with a two finger white head. Quite pale for a weizenbock, it almost looks like a regular Hefeweizen. Big fat head and lots of lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma is also similar to a Hefeweizen with banana and clove, some lemon, but with more alcohol.

Taste is similar to the aroma with banana and wheat malt up front with some clove, fruit, and a bit of an alcoholic bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-full, very nice and smooth.

Not really what I expected in a weizenbock, but it's still very tasty. Good stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

recommended highly by ColoradoBobs, so i finally grabbed some.

A: gorgeous, the perfect white head is some of the best i have ever seen, done, its thick sticky white on top of a straw to amber beer

S: very herbal and floral maybe some fruit sweetness.

T: i almost gave this a 4 simply because its very herbal spicy floral like the aroma portends this is not my fav taste, but it is extremely good just the same

this beer has become a LNBA staple and i have been meaning to try it. it comes off very spicy or herbaly if you want to call it whatever. its very good and mellows as it warms

enjoy it, try it, or CB will find you

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a lightly hazy yellow color with a slight orange tint. Large, stiff, and rocky head that settles slowly to a nice cap, leaving some sticky patches of lace on the way down.

S: Big, bold, and complex. The typical banana and clove are there in a big way, but some other aromas make their entrance, as well. Smells of bubblegum and candied fruit lie beneath the clove/banana aspect.

T&M: Initially sweet with loads of the bubblegum flavor followed by a lightly spicy finish that showcases some almost mint like flavor. It's definitely a big beer--lots of flavor and complexity here. Body is medium-full with a fine carbonation and a crisp, dry finish that lingers.

D: High in ABV, but wonderful in flavor. I could drink a few of these. Yet *another* great beer from Weihenstephan. Then again, they should have everything perfected by now--they've only had almost 1,000 years to work on it.

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A: Pours quite light for a weizenbock, a nice hazy golden yellow and topped with a rather disapointgly thin half and inch of creamy pure white, though I blame myself for a rather substandard pour so I can't fault the beer all that much. Some mild lacing left behind as well.

S: Lemon and wheaty zestiness coupled with fairly strong bananna and clove overtones. Mild honey and bubble gum with thick and bready malts, very nice. Smells much like a hefe rather than a weizenbock but still very good.

T/MF: Zesty lemon bananna and clove spiceiness, but a huge bananna bread and lemon and oragne peel bready sweetness with a smooth and mild creamy orange slice finish. Mouthfeel is a wonderful balance between creamy and bubbly, alcholo is well hidden in both taste and feel, this beer is so incredibly smooth.

D: I'd say this beer lives up to the recent hype around it, incredibly drinkable, smooth, flavorful and wonderfully balanced for its size, an excellent beer on a hot August day.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

This has been on my radar for a long time. I was able to score a few bottles from State Line in Elkton.
Appears a hazy, medium gold with a small white head that slowly fades out into a gentle collar. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of bubble gum, cloves, banana, and tart wheat.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with tart flavors and mild caramel duking it out between the estery, classic Bavarian yeast strain.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly carbonated, smooth, and very drinkable for 7.7% abv.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a nice cloudy yellow/light orange with a beautiful fizzy white head. Nose is solid banana wheat. Taste follows with balls out banana and clovey bubblegum wheat yeast german mouthgasm goodness. Mouthfeel is solid and drinkability is second to none. Hands down one of the best beers and best breweries in the world. Awesome. Thats right ColoradoBobs! AWESOME!

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan