Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,954 | Reviews: 1,069
4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 500ml. or 1 pint .9oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: It had a golden color, which was lighter than I had expected and a hazy unfiltered body. The head is just off white in color and builds up tall and thick then very slowly fades making slick patchy lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma had sweet malty wheat notes with yeast and estery fruitiness.

Taste/Mouth feel: There are estery flavor notes of banana, apple, golden raison and bubble gum within a mildly sweet and tangy wheat malt. Also there are hints of clove and some mild spicy hops for balance. It has a solid medium body with a palate that is smooth and a touch slick with pleasing carbonation.

Notes: Outstanding!!!

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

After months of desperation, I finally drove to South Carolina and picked up several bottles of this stuff -- why can't I get it in Atlanta yet, when other Weihenstephaner beers are easy to obtain? Anyway, I love hefeweizens (Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is my all-time favorite beer), as well as Schneider Aventinus (thus far, the only other true weizenbock I've had). As such, I HAD to try Vitus.

I poured a 500ml bottle into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass. [EDIT: Half-liter, chalice-type Vitus glasses do exist, and as of December 2010, I own three of them. They're among my favorite glasses in my collection -- seek some out!]

Appearance: Frankly, before I read the reviews here, I expected Vitus to appear darker -- at least the hue of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel. Instead, it's actually about the same color as a regular Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but somehow it's less cloudy. In fact, it looks like a "lighter" beer than your average unfiltered hefeweizen, which is saying something. After a solid weizen pour, I got a nice four-finger head, which receded far more quickly than the head on a standard Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. I got minimal lacing throughout drinking. Interestingly, there is considerably less yeasty sediment in Vitus than in almost any other unfiltered wheat beer I've had. On the whole, I think I prefer the appearance of this brewery's regular hefeweizen to the appearance of Vitus, but Vitus's looks belie its aroma and flavor.

Smell: I've got to give this a 5.0 -- it smells familiar and unique at the same time, and the scent ultimately makes you desperate to taste the beer. As has been echoed in other reviews, Vitus smells like an "imperialized" version of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, which I guess it kind of is. I get a deep, rich series of aromas, starting with sweet banana bread. Yeast is also prominent in the nose, as are cloves and a hint of citrus. Now, unlike some others who have reviewed Vitus, I DON'T pick up a "lemon meringue" scent...instead, the lingering smells are of banana bread, yeast, and finally old-fashioned bubble gum.

Taste: As with other Weihenstephaner offerings, the taste follows the nose. The best way I think I can describe this would be to say that it tastes like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, but with a much stronger dose of cloves and easily perceptible alcohol. I taste cloves, yeasty bread, cloves, something faintly citric, cloves, and cloves. That "old-fashioned bubble gum" thing is there, too, but it's difficult to pin down. It seems to come and go at times during each sip.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is about on par with Weihenstephaner's other wheat beers, which is to say that there's quite a bit of it. That, along with the higher ABV and stronger clove flavor, makes for quite a prickly quaff. Honestly, the mouthfeel of this one is more aggressive than I expected; I guess I've just grown accustomed to "regular" hefeweizens. Still, it's cold and refreshing, and the mouthfeel is still superb -- creamier than most hefeweizens, but not as thick as many weizenbocks (particularly dark ones).

Drinkability: The smell is fantastic, and the flavor is great. Even with a relatively aggressive mouthfeel for its style, this is a highly drinkable beer. The ABV does sneak up on you, though, even if the alcohol isn't totally hidden. If you like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, I think you've got to try this one. Just be warned that the mouthfeel and ABV might challenge you a bit as a wheat beer fan. I've found these aspects of Vitus to get better with repeated tastings, though.

I've got to tell you, I still like vintage Schneider Aventinus (and good old Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier) somewhat better than Vitus. I find it a bit confusing that Aventinus and Vitus are both weizenbocks, as they are DRASTICALLY different from each other in nearly every way. I think maybe this should be called an "imperial hefeweizen," while darker, toastier wheat beers with higher ABV (like Aventinus) might be termed "weizenbocks."

***Addendum***
In mid-March of 2009, Vitus finally made it into Georgia, thanks to the help of a devoted group of Vitus Advocates. And this led me to discover that Vitus purchased right here at home looks, smells, tastes, feels, and generally drinks better than Vitus purchased elsewhere. Thank God Vitus is finally here!

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Very light cloudy pale yellow/orange hue for a Weizenbock. More like a Hefeweizen to me. Huge head as it pours which takes only a few minutes to dissipate.

Smell of bananas, bananas and you guessed it... banana bread! Also some orange, yeast and clove.

Taste is sensational. The spice and yeast take a back seat to the initial hit of banana and citrus flavours. You really only notice the alcohol as the spice kicks in at the finish.

Super creamy mouthfeel that gets creamier as the beer warms. Close to the best mouthfeel around.

I could drink this thirst quenching beer all day and night. This is quite possibly the best Hefe-Weiznebock beer in the world today!
I really don't think Weinstephan can produce a bad beer? Although completely different, it's up there with Korbinian as my fav from them.

CHEERS!

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

One of the worlds great beers and I meet up for the first time, we have somehow missed each other over the years. We come together in Cork, Ireland of all places, I saw and bought this bottle in 'The Abbot's Ale House', and reviewed it in my hotel lounge. Sadly the glass used was a half-pint tumbler, I would have loved the correct glass.

The beer poured a lovely lemony yellow, slightly cloudy, almost murky. A pure white head sat on top for both pours, the beer a darker lemon colour on the second pour.

The smells were a fantastic mix, yeast, vanilla, sweet banana and semi-sour cooking apples all rolled into one.

The taste held all the aroma ingrediants along with some grapefruit citrus hints added. Unusually for this style, a maltiness could also be found in the wonderful amalgamation of flavours.

I was at one with the world while drinking this beauty. The 7.7%ABV just sits within the flavours without being noticed, a truely amazing and one-off beer (as ColoradoBobs has been telling me for years).

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a weizen glass

Vitus pours a hazy straw yellow. Tons of carbonation. Creamy white head with great retention. Some sticky lacing. Having never had a weizenbock before, I was expecting a darker color. Regardless, this looks very inviting

Fantastic aromas of banana and cloves, bubblegum, crisp wheat, lemon zest, spicy coriander, and honey. All shine through wonderfully. Hefeweizens and witbiers aren't always my cup of tea but this is the standard of aroma they should be held up to

Taste follows the nose to a tee. Big yeasty esters of banana, clove, lemon peel, orange zest. Bubblegum sweetness and honey. The coriander, cloves, twangy wheat, and subtle alcohol presence add a much needed spicy kick that balances this nicely. Finish is of sweet honey that lingers for a moment

Drinks smooth and light but the sweetness is thick if that makes any sense. Very carbonated. Crisp. Somewhat off dry. Very low in bitterness and acidity

Overall superb. Again, being my first weizenbock I'm not sure what the standard is but I greatly enjoyed this. Sweet but not cloying. The ABV makes itself known but is far from overpowering. If anything it makes you take your time and enjoy. This is no doubt too sweet for some but if you like witbiers or hefe/dunkelweizens you will love this

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Wow. This is the one I have been wanting for a while.

Have you ever had the taste for a certain type of beer, but you weren't sure where to find it? Nothing you have had previously was quite the one you were looking for. You had a pretty damn good idea what flavors you were craving, but just couldn't fill the void of taste that you were experiencing. That's been me for about two weeks. Not anymore. I found it!

This gem of a brew pours a nice golden yellow color with just the slightest bit of haze. Big, fluffy white head rises above the lip of the glass. Not much lacing, but that's ok. Lots of bubbles racing to the surface.

The aroma is filled with banana, clove, pepper, and a bit of yeast. Touch of alcohol comes through, also. Wheat and a touch of fig is noticeable, too. Smells yummy. As it warms, the spices become stronger.

The flavor nails it. Dead on for the style, imo, and my cravings. Warming banana spice bread seems to be filling my mouth. Maybe a bit of raisins in there too...just a few though. A little bit of bubblegum comes in for a second, just to sweeten it up a tad. Nice spice character works well with fruitiness. This one is damn tasty.

Smooth body with just a touch of prickleyness (is that even a word?) on the tongue. A little bit warming, but the alcohol isn't really noticed. Extremely drinkable. The extra bottle I bought is now gone. I'll be picking more of this up on my next visit to the store.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a cloudy golden color with tons of carbonation. Has a two finger thick, soapy white head. Eventually the beer clears up into a quite clear gold with lots and lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom

S: Getting lots of herbal spices and bready notes. Simlar to sourdough bread, also a bit of cloves and earthy types of aromas. Hops slightly detectable

T: Follows the nose well. Tons of huge bready notes with some spice in there as well. Has a bit of sweetness on the backend with some honey notes

M: Thick and creamy and highly carbonated. Excellent.

Overall this was excellent. I'm not too familiar with the Weizenbock style, but this one has got me intrigued. Top notch stuff

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%

Hazy apricot color with a giant 1-2 finger frothy white head with phenomenal retention and lacing.

Pale malt and banana peel make up the nose.

Flavor is just amazing. The epitome of what the style should taste like. Big bright banana flavor and bright fresh wheat.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. Fresh and crisp with high carbonation.

The best weizenbock I can possibly imagine.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Weihenstephaner Vitus has a very thick, spongy, white, crackling head, a hazy (which gets even more so, when the bottom contents are swished & poured in), yellow-gold appearance, with strong bubble streams, and some lacing left behind. The aroma is strong and pungent: banana bread, banana pudding, yeast spice, some coriander, and some white wheat bread. Taste is of banana bread, banana pudding, some spice, sugar, and a touch of alcohol. Mouthfeel is fluffy and medium, and Weihenstephaner Vitus finishes semi-wet, easy drinking, and just a tad hot. Great stuff!

RJT

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

A: poured into a weizen glass to a hazy yellow topped by a three finger dense white head that has excellent retention but not a lot of lacing
S: smells of banannas, cloves and wheat
T: taste is huge banana and pear up front with clove, some nice sweetness, and creamy wheat. swallow is more banana and pear, clove and wheat
M: Light and creamy in the mouth with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing yet ever so slightly drying finish
O: This beer rocks the house. The flavors are off the charts and the beer is just in your face delicious. My dad absolutely loves this beer and now I see why.

Indelibly delectable

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Gorgeous. Hazy pale orange with a big, fluffy cream head.

The aroma is classic weizen - bubblegum and bananas with a hint of alcohol. Lots of aroma compared to many weizens, bock or otherwise, I've had lately.

The flavor follows the aroma almost perfectly - just lacking a little of the intensity that I expected. What's there, though, is still pretty damned flavorful and has a good dose of cloves added to the mix! A little bitterness that doesn't linger too long. There's also a little mineral character that I'm not quite placing but it works fine with the rest of the flavors.

Feels very nice. Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. A little more creaminess wouldn't have gone amiss.

Before today I'd thought that Aventinus was the pinnacle of weizenbocks. I was wrong.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours an extremely foggy dark gold to light amber colored body, topped by a frumpy white head with excellent retention. Its aromas are very spicy and wheaty. Tons of cloves hit my nose right up front, with subtler nutmeggy notes, and the promise of sweet wheat to come. Taste is delicious beyond delicious, practically want to you close your eyes and purr. Rich flavors, but none of them unruly or overbearing. Taste is almost entirely consistent with the nose except that dark fruit notes, like plumbs or dates, enter the mix (especially on the finish). Body gently unfolds upon touching the tongue, going from lightly tingly to luxuriously creamy and mouth-filling, all within the space of a second. One of the best slow-sippers for reading a book or enjoying a nightcap that I've encountered. Positively delectable.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Ah, man this is great; I bought myself a whole case of this Weizenbock (reading the label (in German) makes me wonder if the style Weizen-Doppelbock wouldn't be more appropriate - or perhaps that style would need it's description on BA)...

A: Pours murky pale orange with a really tall white compact lovely head that slowly sets into nice lacings.

S: The smell is overpowering; there's ripe bananas and dark bread (Pumpernickel) - and this is just the smell in the room after pouring; I still havn't smelled the glass... Now, after smelling the glass; sweetness and roasted malts. Citirc notes. Yeast and spices. Fruit-cocktail! Nice sourness.

T: Well, no dissapointment after the apperance and smell - the taste follows... The ripe (almost "over-ripe") bananas from the wheat are very sweet. Then the citric notes is balanced with apples. Bitter hops.

M: Even the aftertaste is remarkable; longer than most Weizens - way longer; sweet and bitter at the same time. Body is so very smooth and refreshing; medium. Rich carbonation, but never offensive or aggresive.

O: I'm back where I started; is this a Weizenbock? If it is; this is probably the best one ever... If the style Weizen-Doppelbock if possible, this would still be a pretty darn fantastic beer. Oh, I almost forgot; I still got 19 50 cl bottles...
If I can keep character and store a couple in my cellar - this beer (most certainly) will evolve into something out of this world...

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a proper .5L weizen glass.

A: Very cloudy light golden and dark yellow colors with an enormous 2-3 fingers of white frothy head. Throughout the session, a small head retains just over the surface of the brew. Some smatterings of lacing on my glass.
S: Huge aromas at the pour. Cloves and other spices, wheat, banana and other fruity esters.
T: The cloves and spices are dominant and oh so enjoyable. There are plenty of other flavors, including dark fruity/berry in moments. The sip ends in some citrus and bitters. Metallic notes are barely present, but the balance of this big brew leaves them in the dust.
M and D: Medium-bodied and incredibly slick. A good dose of carbonation brings out the bold spices. This is an easy beer to drink, and the alcohol hides so well that I got a nice warming sensation afterwards that hit me right after the last sip. I've already recommended this to folks in town. I look forward to enjoying this beer again very soon.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Finally found a bottle while shopping at Sam's Quik Shop.

Pour looks like a hefe, honestly. Very cloudy yellow with a thick white frothy, bubbly white head.

It just smells like their Hefe, loads of bubble gum and banana. It smells sweeter, with more of the honey malt coming through, and I like it. So much damn banana....

The taste is just pure banana, honestly. Theres not much other to it. Others get some kind of flavors that take away from the yeast, but this one really just accents the yeast so damn well. The yeast really tastes like banana, and thats all. Theres a bit of spicy clove that really just balances things out totally.

It shouldnt be this drinkable for nearly 8% ABV.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

I honestly don't know what it is about this beer but it is damn near perfect in my book. It has a crispy fruity mouth taste, and it just gets more complex. The mouth feels is bubbly and playful. I hope that makes sense. It's a complex beer that drinks easy, a feat that for me is hard to find.

4.74/5  rDev +11%

500 mL bottle poured into a weizen glass at slightly warmer than refrigerator temperature.

L - Hazy deep gold color with a huge 4-finger thick, creamy, pillowy white head. Excellent retention but not much lacing. Lots of bubbles. Looks great except for the fact that it’s a little light in color for a weizenbock.

S - Tons of banana. Also clove, bubblegum, rich malt, wheat, and yeast aromas. Smells rich but sweet and refreshing at the same time.

T - This beer is outstandingly delicious. Sweet banana, bubblegum, and caramel malt flavors with spicy clove and yeast notes. Also enough bread and wheat notes to make it taste like banana bread. Outstanding.

F - Light-to-medium bodied, tons of mouth-tingling carbonation, rich a creamy mouthfeel, and a refreshingly dry finish. Sweetness, tingling from the carbonation, and dryness lingers for a nice amount of time.

O - I’m not usually a big fan of wheat beers, but this beer makes me want to explore way more of them. It is absolutely fantastic. It smells, tastes, and feels terrific with absolutely no sign of the 7.7% ABV. I can definitely see why this was named the best beer in the world at the 2011 World Beer Awards. Close to perfection.

4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a gorgeous hazy gold, topped with a creamy white cloud of a head.

This brew is an aromatic three ring circus orgy with all the banana, cloves, honey, cinnamon toast, yeasty wheat bread mixed about with your grandparents hard candy dish.

This reminds me of a pale ale with all the fruitiness, along with all the spicy intricacy of a really expensive Belgian. Everything the nose picked up is here, along with an earthy tobacco barn kind of rawness. We also have a subtle but right on the mark hop sizzle at the very end.

The mouthfeel couldn't be better. Medium to light bodied and refreshing. It glides down the throat like a melted banana split smothered in whip cream.

Overall, Das Bier ist gut.

4.74/5  rDev +11%

This beer looks really nice. Light in color, interesting and unique very yellow color. Very foamy, head seem to hold up great.

Smells delicious. Notes of citrousy fruits, and malted wheat. Some really nice fruity yeasty esters going on.

Smooth wheat beer. All Weihenstephaner's beer have a very similar, very impressive mouthfeel. Smooth, but very full-bodied and satisfying.

I could have one, or drink this beer all night, either way I'm a happy camper.

4.74/5  rDev +11%

Bottle poured into standard pint.

A. Pours a light honey gold color, closer to pale straw than anything. Huuuge head explodes from a careful pour, roughly four fingers. Had to pour some off and reload. What remains gives me a two finger, eggshell white head. Very good lacing.

S. Awesomely spectacular. Yeast heavy, which gives it all a charming biscuit quality. Also a lot of fruit, banana, clove, apple, pear, and grape. Truly outstanding and a perfectly incorporated bouquet.

T. Follows the nose with waves of banana, pineapple, citrus, pear, apple, and some bready malt.

M. Perfectly creamy, fruity, balanced. I just love how this resolves into banana cream pudding. So well integrated.

O. An outstanding beer. I haven't read enough about this style, and if I didn't know this was a Weizenbock, I would guess it was a Hefe. Either way, it's remarkable, and well worth the positive press I have seen for it. Highly recommended.

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:
Pours a hazy, straw hue body with a think, white head that withers away to a pencil-thick crown. Light carbonation is visible only if hunting for it.

Aroma:
Of decidingly Belgian quality. A beautiful foray of earthy spices and banana are prominant. Wheat, clove, and yeasty notes are also evident. Simply fantastic!

Taste:
Sweet and spicy. Bubblegum, banana, and a bit of honey and molasses make up the sweetness while clove and corriander spice up the party. Bitterness is uneventful.

Mouthfeel:
Way more carbonation than visually led to believe. Medium body. Lip-smacking dry finish. Alcohol is noticable, but not nearly enough to fault the experience.

Overall:
This is an incredible beer I couldn't get enough of it! I wanted more, more, more! A slow sipper as it might be a bit sweet for some, but otherwise beautifully balanced and full of character. Do yourself a favor... Get one. Or ten.

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: golden straw color. Very foggy with a big white bubbly head.

S: bananas, cloves, hay, and lemon.

T: this is a very impressive beer. Banana, cloves, lemon, wet hay, orange peel, butter, fruit bread, raisins, and some sweets. So good.

M: perfectly medium and buttery. It's got a residue-y feel or a straw-y feel to it. It's awesome.

O: this is damn near perfect for a dopplebock. Taste is amazing.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Picked this one up at Dan's recommendation. This is a style to which I love and have had far too few examples of it to go on. When he said this was as awesome as he did I knew I had to get down there and grab me a couple of them. I poured the 500ml bottle into a proper pint glass and proceeded to enjoy this one straight out of the fridge.

Appearance - The pour was wonderful. A bright golden amber transformed the glass with all of its haze and cloudiness. A very nice three inch layer of white foam then came up over the top and settled down gently, but never totally fading into a thin layer that lasted the rest of the session. Deep side glass lace as well as some good carbonation could be seen streaking skyward.

Smell - The aroma was full of yeast. Nice banana and clove notes mixed in with some light lemon like citrus tones. Very bright, with a touch of alcohol, but nothing too terribly distracting at all.

Taste - The flavor was just about as good as you can get for the style. Perfect balance of yeast, with the wonderful notes of banana and cloves, some light peppery spices in there as well, but everything being very bright. Good dose of wheat in the middle and a sharp cutoff of lemon like hops in the finish, really drying this one out and making you beg for another sip.

Mouthfeel - This was much lighter then I thought it would be, and that was a good thing. A nice light to medium bodied ale, the carbonation was big enough to really let it shine through very nicely. I was thoroughly impressed by how well this one was put together in all aspects.

Drinkability - As for drinking, you could easily throw this one down as a session ale. I mean be careful as at over 7.5% it will do a number on you, but still, wow, this was really very good. I was shocked by how quickly it disappeared.

Overall one of the best beers I have had, any style, hands down. I would get this one again in a heartbeat, and it really is a steal at 2.99. Definitely try this one out, no way you could be disappointed.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance - Pours a cloudy, golden color, with a firm, white, two-finger head.

Smell - Sweet, fruity aroma, with defined banana and clove. Definite wheat and yeast balanced in.

Taste - Even more defined banana and clove than the smell. Although you get the yeast in the smell, it is well balanced with other flavors in the taste.

Mouthfeel - A very smooth, almost creamy mouth feel, with bright, but subtle carbonation. Just a slight bitterness on the finish.

Drinkability - I really like this beer. I am a true Hefe lover, but this variant will be on my short list.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan