Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,961 | Reviews: 1,070
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

1 pint 0.9oz bottle: Pours a cloudy golden with a slight orange hue and a nice large head that lingers. Aroma has got the definite wiezen characteristics. A nice orange and lemon citrus spritz, banana, wheat overtones, spiced similar to a hefe. Taste is nicely robust and mouth filling. I was basically expecting a Hefe but this is nicely complex. A nice bite of citrus and wheat really make this a really luscious brew. Overall, Man this stuff is a good wiezen I really like this!

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Pale golden color with a bit of haze. Quite the bevy of foam and lacing. Moderate aroma-mildly spicey and somewhat cloveish. Very crisp and clean flavor wise. A wheaty crispness against and slightly spiced and phenolic bite. Somewhat peppery tinge. Solid mouthfeel. Really a great beer all around. I could do this again and again.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Although it takes up nearly the entire glass when first poured, the white head is light and foamy, lending itself to the effervescent nature of this style. The color is far lighter than I had expected. It is a nice lemon yellow, with the typical wheat beer haze.

Smell: Lemon, bubblegum, and mint make for an interesting, yet not entirely tempting, combo. The possible sugary zest of this bouquet is counterbalanced by the toasty Munich malt typical for the style.

Taste: Lemons are replaced by bananas, while airy notes of mint and bubblegum manage to hang on. The maltiness goes head-to-head with the esters, making for a somewhat strange, yet interesting combination...kind of like a banana sandwich on multigrain bread.

Mouthfeel: The medium mouthfeel is thickened by the wheat and yeast. Carbonation is characteristically medium-high and does a good job making the beer both filling and spritzy.

Overall: A beer which, for me, is swimming in dichotomies. The flavors don't seem to mix all that well, but the toasted malt going up against the esters is both true to style and worth witnessing if you haven't had this type of beer before. A beer that could grow on me. I would certainly like to try it again further down the road.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours hazy straw yellow with a full one inch white head that settles to a thick cap on top and leaves strands of lace.

Smell is of grains (wheat and barley), lemon zest, earthy yeast and faint banana accents.

Taste, like the smell, is grainy with a more dominant banana presence than in the nose and some citrus notes on the back end.

The texture is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

This is a tasty wheat beer with hints of banana flavor. I was a little disappointed with the musty, dirt-like aroma. The 7.7 ABV sneaks up on you.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This isn't a style I'm well acquainted with or particularly enjoy, but it is definitely a solid brew.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%

Aroma - slightly musty, faint, with hints of grass and a slight acidity. I wonder at the age of the beer, may have gone slightly off.
Appearance - medium gold in color with a white, lacy foam. head dissipates slowly, clinging to the glass as it goes.
Flavour - wheaty, robust, with a light spice at the end. there are light grapefruit notes with some bite from the carbonation. Mouthfeel is medium and enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Found at State Line Liquor. A great example of the style, this draws you in with a sweet wheat honey aroma. Mild chocolate brown with initially a large white head, that quickly dissipitates. Medium mouthfeel, and not very complex. But very drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

***First try*** Time for a German beer! Hefeweizens is not my favorite style, but I do like beers the are a mixed style with hefeweizen. This is my third Weihenstephaner beer to try.

I poured this into one of my tall hefeweizen glasses and watched as the head formed and grew quickly to 3-4 fingers in height that was frothy and white, like it should be. It is a beautiful cloudy yellow color, like pineapple juice, and it is very bubbly.

It smells...I'm actually having a hard time figuring out how it smells because I'm cooking some chicken and garlic...DOH! It's very sweet and there is a lot of citrus, as is to be suspected. I get banana and clove as well, adding more complexity and spice. I get an essence of lemon as well on the end.

Taste is pretty much identical. It's smooth, but is bubbly and has a little bite to it. There is a lot of banana flavor in it with lemon coming at the end to give it some added bite and tang. The wheat is sort of underlying throughout.

I'd say this is a pretty good beer here. It's more appetizing than a regular hefeweizen to me, but I have to say that I expected it to be a bit different. I'm not sure what I expected it to be, but whatever.

***Second try*** With all of y'all - yes, us Texans will say that - discussing so much non-American beers I felt guilty about not buying a non-American beer in quite awhile! So I went to my local place and decided to buy a foreign beer in a style I've not drank in awhile. I chose Vitus because I didn't remember drinking it. When I got back to my place I checked on Facebook to see if I had tried it...and I had. Damn! But there's nothing wrong with that. You know, if you're hungry, and I am, drinking a wheat beer is a good choice. Want some bread? Drink a wheat beer!

It may take a little work but it's a must that the drinker gets the sediment from the bottom of the bottle into your glass. It's not in there for no reason! If you don't like it then...don't drink it. The head, like every wheat beer, pours very tall, extremely bubbly, and white. Color of the beer is a hazy, if you put in little sediment, to murky, if you put in it all, golden-yellow. Describing wheat beer colors is a little more difficult than describing other styles' colors but wheat beers have a sort of pastel color to them.

It smells very bready with lemony-citrus and banana notes.

Taste brings an unexpected alcohol flavor...but not a bad one. It's hidden under the dominant wheat and the citrus and banana notes keep up the flavor.

This was a good choice for a drink today where it was pretty warm in Texas. Like I've said, wheat beers aren't a favorite of mine so I won't appreciate this as much as someone else who does like weizenbiers (terrible German-English), but I can tell a quality beer and this one is it.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

16.9oz bottle poured into a Weihenstephan glass

A- The pour is beautiful. A hazed golden yellow color with orange hues and a creamy white head that sticks all over the glass.

S- Vitus features a very nice weizen aroma. There is a lot of banana and clove evident in the nose.

T- The taste is sweet with clove and banana flavors. Very nice taste, almost like a beefed up hefeweizen.

M- The mouthfeel is exceptional with very nice body and texture.

D- A solid beer no question and one I would definitely pick up again.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

A very soapy white head, that disappears on a nice controlled pour very quickly. Body color is a murky yellow but fairly uniform, some nice rising carbonation elevator music, and scattered cola bubbles. Manages a nice thin collar.

Nose seems very banana forward, clean and borderline crisp. Hints of classic wheat like chewiness. Not bad with a drying clove like angle.

Taste feels like a good mix from what is on the nose. A good malt backbone mixes with crisp carbonation that doesn't take away from the palate. Some nice chewy body, a good citrus and banana angle mixes nicely, with a spritzy soda fountain finish.

Overall, pretty nice and pleasant and refreshing. Kind of what you expect from Weihenstephan.

Served in a tumbler.

Gotta try one of the classic German weuizenbocks, right? It pours a cloudy pale straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat, light banana peel, light lemon zest, light ginger, honey, and a small amount of clove. The taste focuses on the wheat, but allows some lemon zest, honey, clove, banana, and orange rind in there as well. The body is a rather light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy feel. Overall, a pretty enjoyable w-bock, something I could easily see drinking plenty of if put in the proper situation.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

a: hazy straw colored body with a fingers worth of bright white head that quickly settles to a thin ring. i would say retention and lacing are less than desired.

s: wheat, bananna and clove are the main players although some other fruity aromas and spice are in the background.

t: freshly ground wheat at first followed by bananna and what seems to be apples and pineapple. has a spicy finish with the clove.

m: sharp and crisp with a somewhat chewy body from the wheat. goes down smooth with an oily feel to it. and a long sweet yet dry champaign finish.

o: pretty frickin good. usually the banannas and clove overpower, but not in this one. blended very well and will recommend to everyone.

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle, marked "9343," poured into a hefeweizen serving glass. I'm watching the Maple Leafs and the Penguins play as I review this.

A - Beatiful, hazy straw color with a light, airy white head of about a half inch. Not sure how it could look any nicer.

S - A mix of fresh baked dough, banana, and a buttery yeast. A little peppery, a little "bottle-y."

T - It tastes like it smells. There's a bready, doughy quality at first, and as it goes down a little peppery and "bottle-y." Some cloves. Finishes with some great maltiness, almost overwhelming.

M - Rich, velvety mouthfeel, still providing a little bit of "bite" with the pepper.

Overall I would call this a great Weizenbock, in my little experience with the style. Doesn't get much better than this for a drinkable beer with an above average alcohol content. Truly a testament to the brewing practices of Germany.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

500ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Golden yellow. Nice and hazy. Huge cloudy, three finger head. Fluffier than any I've seen. Stays forever. Not much lacing, you would expect a lot with that head.

S: Not the biggest aroma. Cloves, but not dominating the nose. Incense (weird for sure), just like the sticks you buy and burn in your house. Light banana and lemon. Wheat, light spiciness, and the faintest hint of cinnamon.

T: Wheat and spiciness (peppery). For the first time in a wheat style beer cloves don't dominate. Light banana and lemon. Very light caramel. Hint of cinnamon. Maybe a touch of bubblegum (still don't understand this one)? Light touch of cloves in the end. Complex.

M: Full bodied. Rich and creamy. Well carbonated. Leaves your mouth a bit spicy. Warming on the way down.

O: A great beer by the one's who have a little practice brewing. Like the spicy off shoot from typical wheat beers. Maybe in all weizenbock's? Different. Good. Easily drinkable. Little sneaky (7.7). A must try? Every beer is a must try, but you could still survive still if you missed this one.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass, as I don't have a weizen glass with me.

Look - light golden in color, clear, with great carbonation and about three fingers' worth of off-white foam that dissipates slowly.

Smell - very interesting smell. It has the typical malty aroma of a Bavarian beer, but with that wheat smell to it too.

Taste - wonderfully crisp wheat taste mixed with an ever so slight muskiness. The taste seems to match exactly what it is, which is a refreshing change.

Mouthfeel - a little more on the watery side, but still has good texture.

Overall - very good brew overall. Good taste, and good qualities.

Bottle from Brix in Omaha, NE
Poured into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass
9321 stamped on back of bottle label

The Weihenstephaner weizenbock is a generally solid version of the style, with heavy emphasis on smooth wheat malt flavors and phenolics. While enjoyable, the recipe seems to generate a less complex beer, relative to Aventinus, and with the high ABV, I'm often left wondering why one would choose this over an equally focused wheat beer with similar flavors. Vitus is definitely smoother than its lighter sibling, but for me, this isn't worth the trade-off.

Pours a large, fluffy, off-white head, many centimeters in height and made up of medium-sized bubbles, creating a dense, sponge-like effect. Head declines over several minutes to a persistent cap atop the beer. Leaves small spots of lacing, nothing exciting. Body is lighter than Aventinus, this a dark and hazy yellow-gold with orange and yellow highlights when held to the light. Hazy to the point of barely being able to see my hand through the glass, but can still make out some modest carbonation.

Aroma of wheat malt, old bananas, vanilla, and some bread. Not noticing phenolics or spices; wouldn’t even be thinking about them if others hadn’t mentioned detecting them. Seems simpler, less complex, than Aventinus.

Taste opens with sweetness and tanginess from wheat malt, dense banana bread, noticeable phenolics such as nutmeg and clove. Transitions midway to large amounts of pale wheat and barley malt sweetness with intense bananas, reduced phenolics, vanilla, and caramelized sugar. Taste closes out with slight ethanol and some mild, but noticeable chocolate notes, which is a little unexpected, but interesting.

Body is medium to medium-heavy with modest carbonation, allowing for a smooth, creamy mouthfeel with just a bit of foaming up on the palate. Finish is dry, slightly sticky from sweetness. Instead of being obviously smelt or tasted, alcohol burn is felt in the back of the mouth, throat, after each sip.

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%

Single bottle (has a code, but not a date code I could interpret) poured into a weizen glass without disturbing the sediment at the end.

Appearance: Golden yellow hazy color with lots of bubbles coming up through the beer. Huge head that settles down to form and eggshell white foam with lots of lacing.

Smell: A bit musty, some hints of banana in there, but not as appealing in the glass smell-wise as it was when I cracked the bottle.

Taste: Apples and white grape, muted malt, and some of that classic German wheat beer tastes. Grapes stronger towards the end.

Mouthfeel: While the carbonation is quite obvious from looking at the beer, in the mouth it's not strong at all. Very smooth, quenching, and coating of the mouth all at the same time. Quite nice.

Drinkability: Went very well with a meal (Chicken cacciatore) and I'm thinking one 500ml bottle is enough for an evening. Not my favorite Weizenbock but it is good and I think it has potential to work well with a lot of other food. I'm wondering though if I stirred up the sediment and drank that too if my experience would be better. I've had Germans tell me this is the thing to do, and others tell me I'm nuts to do it. But I do notice a taste difference between the two routes so I'll have to try it again.

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange color. Pillowing white head forms and leaves some nice patchy lace.
S: Lots of doughy yeast. Very fruity, banana, apple, peach, and other citrus fruits with some clove. Some dark fruits as well: figs and plumbs. Wonderful.
T: Follows the nose. Pretty sweet with lots of banana and cloves. Reminds me of a hefe. Some doughy and biscuit flavors. Not as much dark fruits as I found in the nose though.
M/D: At first, a crisp snap of carbonation on the tongue. As it lingers, the beer becomes more smooth and creamy. The alcohol is present and makes this a little hard for me to drink. A sipping beer. I don't thing I want more than a bottle of this.

My first Weizenbock. To me, it seems like a hefe with a bunch of alcohol. Overall, a good beer from a a great German brewery.

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%

This was one of those beers I happen to pick up (in this case because I am trying to expand my German Beer cred) and get all excited about, and rush to the computer to see if I'm the only one. Clearly not!

This has an out-of-this world head. In any other beer may be off-putting and confusing, but in this beer, the straw yellow contrasted to the creamy white works. I am not getting that big ripe banana aroma that I would have hoped for, in fact, I get a touch of skunkiness and booze. The beer tastes big, but balanced. Huge banana flavor and a unique spiciness, almost hot, but not quite.

Having finished this beer while writing this review, I am excitingly buzzed. I feel like my body reacts to the alcohol in every beer differently, and this one brings me up. Perhaps it is the exaggerated fruitiness that tricks my metabolism into thinking I am eating a banana, but either way, it is great. But beyond that, speak strictly about the brew itself, I love the way I am simultaneously blown-away by the big flavors and comfortably enticed by it's balance.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

16.9 oz bottle. Nicely labelled. Served within recommended temperature range.

Pours a clear, pale golden color with a slight haze. The massive white head has great retention but leaves limited lacing.

The aroma is yeasty and bready, with a strong but not overwhelming amount of cloves and banana. Hints of lemon and fresh-cut hay.

The flavor, especially from the grains and yeast, is a bit stronger than the aroma, although the qualities are about what I expected after sniffing it. Mildly sweet thanks to some nice tartness from mid-taste on.

Good feel albeit a bit too thin Not fizzy or too lively despite what looks like generous carbonation.

Clearly excellent and particularly refreshing example of style ... but not a favorite style for me. Remarkably well hidden alcohol; drinks like ~ 3% ABV!

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Vitus is good...but its not in my favorite lane....there is much clove in the scent and in the taste. The beer poured a slightly hazy golden with big head that is leaving a spotty lace. The mouthfeel is medium in body with big carbonation. Overall its a good beer and I am glad I have tried it....but I would go for the other Weihenstephen offerings before going to this one.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a large wheatbeer glass. Pours a cloudy, pale orange-yellow (far too light for the style) with a massive well-sustained head. The nose is bright and fruity with notes of oranges, bananas, and cloves.

Nice medium-bodied flavor with semi-sweet, fruity notes and a lightly dry finish. The taste follows the nose very well. There is a slight bready graininess up front that is nicely accompanied by orange and banana notes. At mid-palate, the flavor turns slightly tart and acidic leading up to a pleasant finish. Mouthfeel is medium-firm and suits the flavor nicely. Unfortunately, I don't get many complex malt notes. Whatever melanoidins there are seem to be constrained to mid-palate and are otherwise buried under a sea of spicy phenols.

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, I have to profess my surprise that this is considered such a highly-rated weizenbock. It's more like a hefeweiss. Don't misunderstand me. It tastes great, but if I must consider it a weizenbock, then I am confident in saying that it doesn't hold a candle to Aventinus Tap 6. In my opintion, the lack of a substantial malt character hurts this beer.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into pilsner glass.
Abundant head formed by tight bubbles drops to a tight cap over a hazy yellow-orange color.
Smells at first of lemon grass and yeast. A much deeper smell brings in a cidery banana smell with maybe spiced rum.
The taste starts with the sweet banana flavor the lemon grass, spice and yeast take a back seat. The flavors hit all parts of the tongue at once and disappear quickly leaving just a hint of alcohol fuming.
The carbonation pricks the mouth and doesn't foster a deep appreciation on each pull. It is a little thin.
Dangerously poundable beer that drinks really fast.

Not really my thing, but trying to judge it for what it is, I think this is a good example what the Germans do well.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Creamy wheat with suggests chocolate with whipped cream on bananas. Sour and citric snap for nice balance.

Pale-medium straw color, bit hazy, wonderful head.

There's a little less creamy wheat than in the nose and a good stiff sour force that plays with hop flavor and bitterness. Light banana with clove. Lighter alcohol. Deeper fruit flavors develop that remind me of grapes or maybe have the essence of strawberries. The creaminess takes on a deeper sweetness and a richer flavor in the vein of cream soda or a vanilla shake - it has that primal tasty character that sucks me in like the Umami of a steak. My tastebuds obsess over it and it becomes all I sense.

I wish it had yeast in the bottle. Other than that it was a pretty well-behaved Weizenbock, laid back and fairly tasty without an exciting wildness.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Chilled 500ml bottle poured into a Weihenstephaner branded hefe-weizen glass.

Pours with a grand 3-4 finger head that seems to appear as though it will turn into a solid fluffy mass that will never die away. Color is a striking bronze tending towards gold with a seemingly endless stream of effervescent bubbles rising to the top.

Aroma is classic German, classic Weize. As with other Weihenstephaner offerings, this has that steamy hot doughy 'just baked' aroma blended with over-ripened banana skins and sweetened clove.

Once again the taste is perfectly in line with other weize brews from Weihenstephaner. Wheat, malt and molasses sweetness are very big up front whilst mild summer fruit and citrus peel are available in the lingering after taste. The higher alcohol content is evident towards the very tail end of each mouthful.

In the mouth this one is full, however not as big as one may expect. I was expecting a chewy complexity to this one, rather it faded away effortlessly. Definitely effervescent and taste complexity adds to the process.

If you like other Weihenstephaner wheat beers then you will already by familiar with the aromas and taste complexities that this offers, however Vitus is able to provide a little something extra to the equation.

Highly recommended.