Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner VitusWeihenstephaner Vitus

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros

1.6/5  rDev -62.5%

Too spicy, too much yeast and alcohol riding atop a decent body. Where's the Dunkel in this? Cloudy and blonde. I'm not an expert but the definition of a Weizenbock provided by this web site is fitting, so maybe the beer is exactly as it should be, and that's something I can't stand drinking, like a Lambic. At first, I could appreciate that this beer had very unique, defined flavors, but they just don't work for me.

1.75/5  rDev -59%

2.25/5  rDev -47.3%

2.35/5  rDev -45%

Served on draught into a hefeweissbier glass at Ma Che in Roma, Italy. Reviewed from notes. I'd previously had it out of the bottle.

A: A two and a half finger head of slight soft cream, fair thickness, and average (~2 minute) retention. Cloudy dark copper colour.

Sm: Heavy orange peel, lemon, cream, and barley. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Orange and lemon peel, moderately full barley, and nice cream. Complex enough, but a touch watery. Built alright. Kind of balanced.

Mf: Too smooth, too wet. Classic fallacy. Doesn't really complement or feel tailored to the flavours of the body.

Dr: Easy drinking, high ABV for the style and a high price (4 euro for a half pint!). Decent quality, but a bit dirty. Perhaps the tap needed cleaning?

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

2.53/5  rDev -40.7%

A: Light honey yellow, white head of 3 fingers, low dissipation, great retention and great lacing.

S: Fruity banana and grain. Alcohol is very strong-smelling. Not very exciting.

T: Very sweet and fruity with quite a bit of unmasked alcohol in the first flavors, followed up by a grainy and even more alcoholic aftertaste. It's not that great. Alcohol burns the nose after swallowing.

M: Light-bodied, non-astringent, but a little watery.

D: I don't think I will be finishing this one. It's drinkable, but the strong alcoholic flavor in the taste after the swallow kills my appetite.

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

Poured into a hefe/Bavarian flute glass.

Looked much more like a hefeweizen than a weizenbock, maybe a dunkel weizen is the appropriate style appearance description for this beer.
The smell was overwhelming banana but not in a good way, def a considerable amount of yeastiness as well.

This is not a Weizenbock and that is the biggest issue for me. It was also out of balance for the style and was just way too wheaty with not evenough malt balance. Not my favorite style, not my favorite beer, and definitely not typical of the style. If you want a Weizenbock, stil to Aventinus, it's perfect, why mess with perfection.

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was cloudy and pale. It had a nice big head. The taste was strange though. Kinda fruity like bananas
with a really bad aftertaste I thought. The beer tasted old or out of date to me me which makes me have to say NO, I will not try again.

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

2.78/5  rDev -34.9%

Bomber, bottled on 3/9/10, poured into a wheat beer glass (reviewed in October).

I'm going to say this right off the bat, I didn't like this beer... at all. Considering the fact that I loved their Hefeweizen and Hefeweizen Dark I am willing to give Weihenstephaner the benefit of the doubt and believe I might have got a battle or old bottle.

A: Looks exactly like the Hefeweissbier, dark golden color, hazy, massive 3-finger foamy head that lasts forever and leaves good lacing.

S: Right away I knew either something was wrong or this wasn't for me. The banana and over-ripe fruit was just WAY to strong. It smelled like someone stuck a 2 week old black banana up my nose. I knew there were some other flavors and spices in there, but it just didn't come through.

T: Oh yeah, way to robust. I like bold flavored beers, but this just tastes like an old banana. I can taste some other fruits, bread, yeast, and esters when the initial burst mellows out, but it's still really sweet and old tasting.

M: I gave this a 4.0 because although I don't like the taste, the mouth feel is pretty much the same as the hefes.

D: I couldn't finish this and ended up pouring out that last 1/3 of the glass.

I really want to try a fresh bottle of this again because I love wWeihenstephaner and it just didn't seem right.

2.78/5  rDev -34.9%

A- a bubbly golden straw colored brew sits under a 1 finger white head that holds decently

S- heavy banana aromas, with wheat as well...as brew warms a minty alcoholic scent arises

T- banana flavors dominate up front until a strong tide of wheat comes through and finishes somewhat spicy, alcohol creeps around the after, and brew warms alcohol takes quite a role on the finish

M- coarse and dry, alcohol can be harsh

D- i like my brews with the alcohol at a tamer state, quite filling and definitely not sessionable, complex brew but i just couldn't enjoy it

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

A - pours a cloudy yellow with 1/2 inch of foam

S - spices, clove, lemon and grapefruit, some grainy bready aroma

T - bready wheat with lemon zest and a sort of soapy flavor

M/D - decent carbonation and flavor, sort of a refreshing brew, but there is a soapiness to it that turns me off to this one. I don't think i'll get it again.

2.93/5  rDev -31.4%

Well, I spot so many others giving this a pretty high score, but I have to stick with my guns. I didn't particularly care for this one, and I shall explain why to the best of my ability. I am also allowing for the possibility of a bad bottle, or my palate being somewhat shocked by tasting a chili beer (yes, you read that right) earlier in the evening. Also, I'm not normally a wheat beer fan, so maybe that has something to do with it. All that said, here we go:

Cloudy, hazy orange peel color. Mediocre head retention. Nose is light citrus (lemon or meyer lemon), some coriander (maybe). Also, it reminds me of pancakes for some reason.

I found this one to be not rich enough for my liking. It did not entice me to keep drinking it, and I did not find my fondness for it increasing sip by sip. I thought the mouthfeel was kinda thin, which surprised me, as I quite like Weihenstephaner HefeWeiss. I have a feeling that this one merits a revisit, and possibly then, an edited review, but until that time, these are my thoughts.

2.98/5  rDev -30.2%

As I poured this beer into a glass the fruity smell was strong and the color was a great hazy yellow/tan. I was excited to taste it.

Mmmmm... first sip was yeasty with a slight sour finish. Swishing it around a bit in my mouth brought hints of the alcohol in it. Second sip, it was still good. Alcohol seems a bit more up front with sour finish more obvious.

By the time I finished the glass,all I could taste was the alcohol to start and on the finish, the sour taste was overpowering everything else, hinting of a dish soap flavor.

Since this was a bomber, I gassed and capped the rest. I guess one glass at a time is enough for me. This is the only Weihenstephaner I would have to think twice about buying again.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan