Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros

3.1/5  rDev -27.4%

As I poured this beer into a glass the fruity smell was strong and the color was a great hazy yellow/tan. I was excited to taste it.

Mmmmm... first sip was yeasty with a slight sour finish. Swishing it around a bit in my mouth brought hints of the alcohol in it. Second sip, it was still good. Alcohol seems a bit more up front with sour finish more obvious.

By the time I finished the glass,all I could taste was the alcohol to start and on the finish, the sour taste was overpowering everything else, hinting of a dish soap flavor.

Since this was a bomber, I gassed and capped the rest. I guess one glass at a time is enough for me. This is the only Weihenstephaner I would have to think twice about buying again.

3.11/5  rDev -27.2%

Taken from notes. Consumed on 12/19 when the server was down.

A-Pours a hazy, pale yellow with a white, two-finger head.

S-Smells of banana and cloves, and that typical spicy Hefe yeast with some wheat notes.

T-Follows the nose with banana and cloves, the spicy yeast, and wheat notes. I don't taste any alcohol. This tastes really close to a Hefeweizen for me, I'm not really discerning any difference.

M-The mouthfeel is not my thing, but it's appropriate for style. It's effervescent and tingling on the tongue with a thin body.

D-This goes down easy considering ABV, but it's really not my kind of thing. This is my first weizenbock and I'm open to trying others, but probably not this one again.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Strong four-finger head. Good, spotty lace on the glass. Very cloudy. The liquid is straw colored.

Okay, something must be wrong. I smell creamed corn. I guess there is light wheat in the background. Very unusual nose, not exactly unappealing, but not expected either.

A smooth bodied beer--heavy body and light carbonation. The flavor is different from any other beer I've ever had and I can't say that I like it. There are elements of bocks and wheat beers as to be expected. There is a soured sweetness that takes some getting used to. The creamed corn remains and detracts from the flavors. Yet, it is a complex offering. Lots of cream flavors.

I can't recommend it, but I know that it is different enough to seek out to try something very different.

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%