Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,062 | Hads: 3,011

16.9 oz bottle into a tall pilsner glass. Bargain of a beer at $2.99

A - Dark yellow/light amber body. Quite hazy with rising carbonation. Massive fluffy bone white head forms and settles down to a permanent finger high cap. Moderate lacing.

S - Mostly ripe bananas. Some light spice and tart peach juice. Some standard yeast spice, but the aroma is rather one layered. No malts or wheat present.

T - Similar to the nose. Ripe bananas, a nice peach/pineapple sweetness, and a touch of yeast spice. Barely a hint of biscuity malt. Finishes somewhat cloying and coating with some alcohol present. Light to medium mouth feel with a pleasnt level of carbonation.

O - A solid yet plain beer. Not as vibrant or excellent as their hefe, Still very delicious with a fantastic banana and peach presence. (798 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

I am a die-hard Aventinus devotee, and nothing - and I mean nothing - can sway me from my devotion to that beer.

As if this near fanatical devotion wasn't weird enough, I am a big ol' hophead to boot. In fact, I've publicly declared my favorite style to be American Double IPA.

Go figure.

Still, when my new favorite beer buyer said "If you like Aventinus, then you MUST try this Weihenstephaner Vitus," I was like, "OK. Bring it."

He brought it. And I bought it. And you know what?

I'm only mildly impressed.

First, the color, as other BAs have noted, is light like a traditional hefe. Nice cloudiness, golden in hue, if not downright strange looking in my Aventinus glass.

As for smell...there's banana, clove, maybe a hint of dates and raisins, but not enough. And - here's where my enthusiasm wanes - no cloves. Also, there's a soapiness to the aroma that reminds me of perfume. Not sure I like this very much.

The taste is good, but not as complex as I'd hoped, and more like a traditional hefe-weizen than I'd expected.

The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety - quite pleasant, actually.

All in all, drinkable and enjoyable. (1,136 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 15C adapted to light color bock). Bottle 50 cl - Batch unknown. AROMA: sweet wheat aromas mixed with vanilla and some faint banana. no hop aromas. some alcohol. APPEARANCE: gold color and hazy. large moussy white head with good retention. TASTE: sweet vanilla flavour, mixed with a strong wheat presence. very low bitterness with a relative dry finish. PALATE: medium body with moderate carbonation. OVERALL: a very interesting variation of the traditional weizen bock style, which uses a dunkelweizen. (549 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%

I sit here about to chug down my Vitus, and I hesitate. Why? What's the hold up you ask? Well, besides the slow realization of how badass the name Vitus is, I'm also listening to the soundtrack to Mac and Me. I recently rewatched this retarded retro 80s family flick, and let me tell you...it was awesome. And the song I'm grooving to right now, You're Not a Stranger Anymore...has succeeded in putting me in a state of all-knowing awareness. I salute Mac and Me and it's tubular soundtrack with a pint of the ultra manly, regal and badass, Vitus.

This here Weizenbock looks the good stuff. A light/dark golden hazy caramel look that makes me think of a scarecrow; an initial sudsy and soapy head, solid retention and lace...it's an awesome looking beer.

Uh-oh spagettios!!! This ain't doing it. Wait, hold up, let me take a bit here...nope. Ya know why? Because I don't like the smell of bananas. And ya know another thing, I don't like the smell of cloves very much either. *sniff* There's something else there too....something doctor appointment-y. But the kicker here is, it truly does have a strong and appealing taste - that is, if you like these smells/tastes - but I'm not a blowhard, I know if it's delivers a calculated taste then that's a good thing.

The nose hasn't lied. It's banana beer. Banana bread beer? Son of a bitch! I really wanted to like this badass beer!! King Vitus...you have forsaken me! But seriously, the smell is worse than the taste for me. It's not really that strong...and it's pretty tasty.

The mouthfeel is quite nice though. Quite nice indeed! Soft, mellow, creamy, yet a dry finish that pin-points the very hidden alcohol. Good feel. Feels like if you were choking on boobs.

Drinkability for ya boy ain't the bees knees if ya feel me. For me, ya boy, it's a bit too potent in the banana area. See, bananas are just too damn bland for me. I like my fruits to be pippy and tasty....not long...ya feel me? Yeah, you feel me. This is a review that you should take zero advice from though, as it's a well loved beer...I just don't like penis fruit!!! *blasts Take Me, I'll Follow You* (2,123 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle into 23oz weizen glass.

Cloudy dull golden hue - a little more pale than I expected - with a three finger frothy off white head that slowly setetles to a one finger head. The carbonation is lively.

Light tart wheat malts, some banana bread, and sharp clove.

The malts are light in this one, with the banana bread repeating, and some fruity yeast flavors. Medium bodied with high carbonation. The finish is the lingering banana flavors.

A classic weizenbock, but also light in color and the flavor was a little tamer than some other weizenbocks I have tried. It's certainly a solid beer. Recommended. (616 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a beautiful Vitus chalice at the Brick Store Pub. Cloudy yellow peach with a thick frothy fizzy white head. Subtle aromas of green apple, banana and clove. Zesty, fizzy up front with noticeable flavors of lemon, clove, banana. This gets banana bready in the middle, finishing dry. Very subtle and easy to drink. Tastes like a better than average Hefeweizen, even though it's labeled a Weizenbock... (408 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Label code is 002853 and that makes no sense according to BeerList's explanation, unless it's May 28th 2013. But the middle two numbers are supposed to be the number of weeks since the beginning of the year, so 85 does not work.

Poured from the 16.9 oz. bottle into a Duvel pint tulip.

a: Translucent gold, tall inch plus high white head receded to heavy surface foam and lacing.

s:Mild citrus followed by a penetrating sharp yeast(?) aroma rather like photographic developing fluid.

t: Mild banana with quite a bit of bitterness to it. Very different, more like a Belgian than German style.

m; Lots of body,

o: Haven't had much experience with Weizenbocks, but this was a lot like a Belgian Farmhouse/Saison. The persistently powerful chemical-like odor while drinking detracted from the experience, although near the end it disappeared.

Disappointing, since this is rated so highly. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. (924 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%

Euro-bomber purchased at J.B.'s in Spokane for $3.59. No obvious freshness/expiration date to be seen, though the back label is stamped "1507." Those crafty Krauts have created their own dating system.

Poured an astonishingly pale straw color, with a big, creamy yet fizzy bone-white head. No lace to speak of. When it comes to weizenbocks, I'm more used to the interpretation one associates with, say, Aventinus, so the looks of this was...unsettling. Before it warmed up a little, I was worrying that I might have somehow purchased a bland Eurolager.

Banana-ish cloves are the primary scent here. Way in the back is an earthy grain scent. Not bad, but there's not nearly as much going on here as I expected.

The taste is more interesting than the smell, but it's not exactly a worldbeater. This can be described as mildly fruity tasting. You know how when beers have gotten old and/or mistreated, and they have that off flavor that's like applejuice gone wild? Imagine that, but tamed down to a degree where it's actually balanced tasting. There's also a honey-like sweetness that balances the apple flavor well. Hops are conspicuous by their apparent absence.

Relatively light-bodied, with a somewht watery yet slick mouthfeel, if that makes any sense.

Insanely drinkable for a relatively high abv beer. I can see having a few of these in a bar would be a bad idea. Sitting at home I could probably have severa l in a sitting and seem fine, then pay the cost the next day. However, I just don't find this to be that compelling of a beer. Too bad, as I'd heard a lot about it and was rather jazzed to discover it around here. (1,632 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint

Hazy off yellow very wheat looking with a good 2 or so finger head

Cloves and some spice maybe a earhty hop note in there

Same as the nose really the spice really comes out as it sits a little and it does have a nice smooth almost sweet finish

Very nice medium body goes down very smooth

Its something i could drink quite abit of if i liked it more guess its just not really for me (420 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a: This was a pale, hazy straw color. It was served to me with a medium sized fluffy white head that left some lace in its wake.

s: More perfumed and a stronger alcohol presence than other weizenbocks I've tried. The strong banana aroma I was looking for was a bit subdued. Nice overall, but not quite what I hoped for.

t: On the warmer side for an abv of 7.7%. Drier than and more on the floral side rather than big and sweet. Here again that robust banana ester flavor I look for was lacking. Still, this was refreshing with no off flavors.

m: Not as beefy or chewy as other examples of the style I've tried, but it certainly was satisfying.

d: Not bad, but not what I hoped it would be either. Glad to have easy access to other examples of what is rapidly becoming a favorite style of mine. (797 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%

Very cloudy and hazy yellowish color. I thought it would be darker. Huge expanding foam head. I poured it gently and the foam still gushed rimward. It has heavy clove and light banana and wheat aromas. The clove flavor is heavily evident in the taste as well. A slight sour/bitter aftertaste lingers also. It's a heavy type of beer that goes down like a brick. The 7.7% ABV doesn't really jump out at you. There's no alcohol burn. But it's a thick beer. I thik I'd rather have either a Weizen or a Bock over a Weizenbock in the future. (535 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -16%

Poured this 16.9 oz. brown bottle into a Aventinus glass. The body was cloudy yellow. The head was crisp white and a cap of foam remained, lacing did not.

Smell was subtle, banana skin and lemons. Light graininess.

Taste was very refreshing. Tart and mildly sweet. Nicely balanced. Very drinkable.

Mouthfeel was zesty but ends smoothly. Body was medium to full. (365 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A. Dark straw color. Opaque because of the cloudiness. Aggressive pour yielded a big-time frothy head that retains nicely. Thick laces. A very good looking beer.

S. Barnhouse funk. Cloves, banana peels, wheat, and grain. Yeast and biscuits. Some sweetness in the form of honey.

T. This sucker is sweet. Flavors of cloves, bubble gum, banana peels, and Belgium yeast. Similar to a yeast roll with some butter and honey.

M. Full body, fairly smooth (diminishes b/c of the sweetness), high carbonation. Actually leaves a clean palate.

O. I was detracted from the high level of sweetness that I found this beer to have. Generally a good beer, but it seems not as well crafted as some of their others. Their Hefe is tip-top shelf, but this falls short. Worth a try but I will likely pass unless in a share. (805 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: cloudy; pale straw in color; 2 finger pillowy white head that receded slowly to a wispy cap; OK lacing;

S: clove is predominant; banana and a little spiciness in the background;

T: a little bready up front; clove and banana take over by mid-palate and stay to the end; low bitterness on the finish;

M: light to medium bodied; highly carbonated;

O: color was very light for the style; didn't get any of the dark fruit character I expected; (445 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured an opaque yellow with big foamy white head which quickly died down.

The smell is sweet bubble gum, cloves and bananas.

The taste is pretty much the same as the smell.

The mouth feel is light to medium with a bit of carbonation.

Overall a decent beer which a lot of people will like but I just found it crazy sweet. (325 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cellared bottle BBE 8 Sept 2010

50cl poured into Weihenstephan glass

A- cloudy medium blonde with a creamy 4 finger head sitting on top. Retention and lacing still very good

S- clove, hint of spice, woodiness, hint of butteriness

T- classic clove flavour up front with a diminished malt strength in the medium finish. Hint of butter again

M- moderate carbonation and body

D- still retains the classic Weissbier characteristic but unfortunately the malty bock quality has subdued to be replaced by a slight buttery quality in the finish. Experiment complete, not one to cellar but probably knew that anyway! (612 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -14.9%

it is a foggy dull yellow with about a fingers width of head that dissapates to nothing.

the smell is light but sweet. abit of a lemon scent to it.

the taste is also sweet with a high citric acid taste and a light hoppiness.

medium body with higher than normal carbonation but not harsh.

pretty high alcohol limits this beers drinkability along with the acidity, but still a good beer (392 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The BA forum famous Weihenstephaner VITUS! Picked up last weekend at Discount Liquor on Oklahoma in Milwaukee.

"Brewed under the purity law of 1516 7.7%"

Poured into a Weizen glass. Pours a dark lemon color, with a strawberry hue. Much lighter than expected, as I was thinking something along the lines of Aventinus which is substantially darker.Beautiful slightly off white color head, fine bubbles that provide some stickage.

Smell is of bubblegum, cloves, BIG banana, not unlike a mild potpourri.

Tastes kind of like a banana smoothie! Very creamy and smoooth mouthfeel. Sweet Bananas are immediately evident followed by clove and other generic spice. Starts to open up quite a bit more as it warms.

Drinkability- Kind of heavy to have more than one of these pint bottles of, but thoroughly enjoyable.

Maybe it's because I haven't been that into wheats lately, or my expectations were put up a bit too high--didn't quite match my expectations, yet still a great brew! (979 characters)

I reviewed it. Get off my back. :P

Poured into my Erdinger Weiss glass. Half the bottle gets stiff peaks to the rim. Right on par so far. Color is a hazy straw, with just a twinge of orange.

Fumey alcohol push up big notions of bubblegum & pineapple, with the banana really lagging behind. The pungent yeast is a little sourdough-ish, holding back a good bit of the expected clove.

Mild banana flavor in the beginning, with some lesser apple & plain yogurt ideas following. Assertive clove bitterness down the middle, with doughy dry wheat flavors on the finish.

Feel is a bit dusty, but very, very lowly carbonated. It gives it an overall much more "liquid" feel then a spritzy, floater-filled everyday hefeweizen. Doesn't actually mean I like the feel more( which I don't). Alcohol barely comes into question.

How this & Ramstein Winter Wheat are in the same category I have no idea. This is actually pretty similar to their Double Platinum(Ramstein), but minus the big fruity flavors & gorgeous color. An easy substitute in the off season I guess. I guess. (1,065 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a cloudy, maize color on top and a hazy, pale yellow on bottom. One and one half inch head of a white color. Great retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, hops, citrus, clove, and sweet malt. Fits the style of a Weizenbock. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of yeast, sweet malt, citrus, and slight tart malt. Overall, good aroma, blend, body, but too much effervescence. (417 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a beautiful hazy honey color. Essentially looks like honey, period. One finger white head dissolves over the course of seconds. Very wet lacing doesn't linger.

S: Rich pilsener malts, sweet malts. Honey, orange, tobacco. Hints of banana and other fruits. Strong. 0 hop presence.

T: Pilsener and sweet malts with honey and tobacco. Belgian yeast. Tastes good, but nothing special. Could stand to be a bit more complex. Nice maltbill, but again, no hop presence whatsoever. Not at all boozy.

M: Slightly overcarbonated and extremely filling. Crisp and clean, with no resins. Minimal alcohol sensation.

O: If I recall, this beer recently won some "best beer in the world" contest. While it falls WAY short of that title, it's a solid beer that I'd be willing to try again. (783 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -14.2%

16.9 oz bottle poured into weizen glass. Hazy straw color with towering white head bolstered by tiny and big bubbles. Streaks of yeast slowly fall to the bottom. Aroma is green banana, clove, lemon, alcohol, and a little bubblegum. Taste is ripe banana, green apple, and wheat malt sweetness. A touch of clove and pepper spice lead to slight bitterness and moderate alcohol on the finish. Medium body, ultra creamy texture, medium-high carbonation, warming and abrupt finish. (475 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured into a Weizen glass, which it filled with a giant, gratifying, puffy head that took its time dissipating. Unfiltered, so it's cloudy in the glass but still quite bright in color. The aroma is not a typical wheat-beer aroma; although there's plenty of banana and clove, a strong whiff of citrus is there along with a bit of what my wife described as "can." Tin, perhaps. The taste is what you would expect from a wheat beer, but the alcohol is high enough to add more spice and some bitterness that a weizen with a lower ABV lacks. While tasty, the Vitus is a bit too boozy a wheat beer for my liking. Worth a try, nonetheless. (633 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served cold from 500ml bottle into weizen glass.

L) Pale yellow-orange colour, very hazy, lots of bubbles evident. Huge foamy pure white head. Classic hefe look.

S) I'm surprise how little odour it has. A bit of honey-peach sweetness and a bit of wheat beer sourness and clove-ester.

T) Sweeter than the typical hefe. Other than that, pretty standard stuff. Light hefe flavour, the sweet aftertaste is long-running.

F) A bit denser than the standard hefe, but smooth, refreshing and does not feel anywhere near 7.7% ABV.

O) A very nice weissebier. I just don't think it is worth getting hammered from the 7.7% ABV from what it brings to the enjoyment of a weisse. What I would say though is that I paid a very reasonable price for this so I am happy. As a Weisse fan, my recommendation is to try this once but stick to the Hell and Dunkel weissebiers from this brewery. (884 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tulip glass.

A: Pours a white-ish pale color with bright white cola-like carbonation which fizzles out immediately. Hazy, with a still surface. No lacing.

S: Straight up banana bread dough, a little spice (clove, cinnamon).

T: Same, a little wheat, with a moderate sweetness which kind of limits the drinkability.

M: High, fizzy carbonation and medium body. Hint of a milky texture. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: Decent. Interesting flavors, but not something I can drink more than a small pour of. A bock strength wheat beer is just not my cup of tea. (555 characters)

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan