Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner VitusWeihenstephaner Vitus

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros

zachpaschal, May 03, 2014

psuscott1, May 25, 2013

Bottle into tulip
A – 2 finger fizzy white head on a slightly hazy golden yellow brew, decent retention, no lacing 3.5
S – Yeasty, fruity, slight citrus banana and peach notes 3.5
T – Bananas more dominate as it warms, yeast, alcohol, and a light spice with a subtle sour 3.5
M – Above average carbonation but not the annoying mouth feel of highly carbonated beers, relatively light 3.5
O – A light highly drinkable high ABV beer, good but not something I’ll seek out unless I have the need to get drunk on a lawn chair some summer day 3.5

rsdaugherty, Nov 20, 2012

Kristin87, Oct 18, 2012

Keananmichael5, Mar 10, 2014

Shawnspl, Jul 27, 2013

16.9 oz bottle into a tall pilsner glass. Bargain of a beer at $2.99

A - Dark yellow/light amber body. Quite hazy with rising carbonation. Massive fluffy bone white head forms and settles down to a permanent finger high cap. Moderate lacing.

S - Mostly ripe bananas. Some light spice and tart peach juice. Some standard yeast spice, but the aroma is rather one layered. No malts or wheat present.

T - Similar to the nose. Ripe bananas, a nice peach/pineapple sweetness, and a touch of yeast spice. Barely a hint of biscuity malt. Finishes somewhat cloying and coating with some alcohol present. Light to medium mouth feel with a pleasnt level of carbonation.

O - A solid yet plain beer. Not as vibrant or excellent as their hefe, Still very delicious with a fantastic banana and peach presence.

davey101, Sep 02, 2012

MichiganderHB, Jun 20, 2013

TravisR, Jun 24, 2013

bbadger, Aug 30, 2012

ejimhof, Dec 25, 2012

akttr, Apr 30, 2013

JCam9981, Apr 20, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

I am a die-hard Aventinus devotee, and nothing - and I mean nothing - can sway me from my devotion to that beer.

As if this near fanatical devotion wasn't weird enough, I am a big ol' hophead to boot. In fact, I've publicly declared my favorite style to be American Double IPA.

Go figure.

Still, when my new favorite beer buyer said "If you like Aventinus, then you MUST try this Weihenstephaner Vitus," I was like, "OK. Bring it."

He brought it. And I bought it. And you know what?

I'm only mildly impressed.

First, the color, as other BAs have noted, is light like a traditional hefe. Nice cloudiness, golden in hue, if not downright strange looking in my Aventinus glass.

As for smell...there's banana, clove, maybe a hint of dates and raisins, but not enough. And - here's where my enthusiasm wanes - no cloves. Also, there's a soapiness to the aroma that reminds me of perfume. Not sure I like this very much.

The taste is good, but not as complex as I'd hoped, and more like a traditional hefe-weizen than I'd expected.

The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety - quite pleasant, actually.

All in all, drinkable and enjoyable.

TheLiterati, Jan 24, 2008

Cramshawbar, May 19, 2013

markgugs, Apr 13, 2014

monnik, Jan 31, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

I sit here about to chug down my Vitus, and I hesitate. Why? What's the hold up you ask? Well, besides the slow realization of how badass the name Vitus is, I'm also listening to the soundtrack to Mac and Me. I recently rewatched this retarded retro 80s family flick, and let me tell you...it was awesome. And the song I'm grooving to right now, You're Not a Stranger Anymore...has succeeded in putting me in a state of all-knowing awareness. I salute Mac and Me and it's tubular soundtrack with a pint of the ultra manly, regal and badass, Vitus.

This here Weizenbock looks the good stuff. A light/dark golden hazy caramel look that makes me think of a scarecrow; an initial sudsy and soapy head, solid retention and lace...it's an awesome looking beer.

Uh-oh spagettios!!! This ain't doing it. Wait, hold up, let me take a bit here...nope. Ya know why? Because I don't like the smell of bananas. And ya know another thing, I don't like the smell of cloves very much either. *sniff* There's something else there too....something doctor appointment-y. But the kicker here is, it truly does have a strong and appealing taste - that is, if you like these smells/tastes - but I'm not a blowhard, I know if it's delivers a calculated taste then that's a good thing.

The nose hasn't lied. It's banana beer. Banana bread beer? Son of a bitch! I really wanted to like this badass beer!! King Vitus...you have forsaken me! But seriously, the smell is worse than the taste for me. It's not really that strong...and it's pretty tasty.

The mouthfeel is quite nice though. Quite nice indeed! Soft, mellow, creamy, yet a dry finish that pin-points the very hidden alcohol. Good feel. Feels like if you were choking on boobs.

Drinkability for ya boy ain't the bees knees if ya feel me. For me, ya boy, it's a bit too potent in the banana area. See, bananas are just too damn bland for me. I like my fruits to be pippy and tasty....not long...ya feel me? Yeah, you feel me. This is a review that you should take zero advice from though, as it's a well loved beer...I just don't like penis fruit!!! *blasts Take Me, I'll Follow You*

ElijahCSkuggs, Nov 21, 2010