Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

A yawning, white tiger told me to buy this in a dream.

A ~ A vigorous pour from a 16.9oz bottle into my Duvel tulip produced a towering, foamy white head over a cloudy, golden honey colored brew. The head quickly compressed to a buttery, solid 1/4" foam with good retention. Tight beads of bubbles rise to the head. Pretty beer ~ I was expecting something a little darker.

S ~ Banana, bubblegum, ripe pears, faint hints of dark fruit & aromatic spice. Lemon rinds. Clove. Not unpleasant, again ~ not what I expected. In the nose this reminds me more of a Hefeweizen. Wheaty.

T ~ Spicy, aromatic clove & allspice. There is a malty, grain (wheat) presence that seems to balance the yeast & the fruity byproduct banana & bubblegum flavors. Nothing bitter, but a little sharp or peppery on the backside.

M/D ~ The mouth is smooth & malty. Nice level of carbonation & a nice spicy finish. A little heat at the back of the throat is a gentle reminder that this is 7.7% ABV. While I'm still confused with the classification & I admittedly have much to learn about beer in general & specific styles ~ I found this more balanced & less perfumey than other Hefeweizens that I've sampled. I had some pre- determined idea of a "BOCK" style beer based on ancient memories of my Grandpa's dark, rich bock beer. This ~ to me, was more of an Imperial Hefeweizen or perhaps a Hefe Hybrid. Still a nice diversion from my regular excursions into the beer universe...AND~ cheap too! Picked up a couple for $2.99 on sale at my local bottle shop.
This beer reminds me of the seasons changing, cool fall evenings, Thanksgiving, Christmas...but worth a try anytime if you can get it. Very approachable & recommended.

Bottle into tulip
A – 2 finger fizzy white head on a slightly hazy golden yellow brew, decent retention, no lacing 3.5
S – Yeasty, fruity, slight citrus banana and peach notes 3.5
T – Bananas more dominate as it warms, yeast, alcohol, and a light spice with a subtle sour 3.5
M – Above average carbonation but not the annoying mouth feel of highly carbonated beers, relatively light 3.5
O – A light highly drinkable high ABV beer, good but not something I’ll seek out unless I have the need to get drunk on a lawn chair some summer day 3.5

16.9 oz bottle into a tall pilsner glass. Bargain of a beer at $2.99

A - Dark yellow/light amber body. Quite hazy with rising carbonation. Massive fluffy bone white head forms and settles down to a permanent finger high cap. Moderate lacing.

S - Mostly ripe bananas. Some light spice and tart peach juice. Some standard yeast spice, but the aroma is rather one layered. No malts or wheat present.

T - Similar to the nose. Ripe bananas, a nice peach/pineapple sweetness, and a touch of yeast spice. Barely a hint of biscuity malt. Finishes somewhat cloying and coating with some alcohol present. Light to medium mouth feel with a pleasnt level of carbonation.

O - A solid yet plain beer. Not as vibrant or excellent as their hefe, Still very delicious with a fantastic banana and peach presence.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

I am a die-hard Aventinus devotee, and nothing - and I mean nothing - can sway me from my devotion to that beer.

As if this near fanatical devotion wasn't weird enough, I am a big ol' hophead to boot. In fact, I've publicly declared my favorite style to be American Double IPA.

Go figure.

Still, when my new favorite beer buyer said "If you like Aventinus, then you MUST try this Weihenstephaner Vitus," I was like, "OK. Bring it."

He brought it. And I bought it. And you know what?

I'm only mildly impressed.

First, the color, as other BAs have noted, is light like a traditional hefe. Nice cloudiness, golden in hue, if not downright strange looking in my Aventinus glass.

As for smell...there's banana, clove, maybe a hint of dates and raisins, but not enough. And - here's where my enthusiasm wanes - no cloves. Also, there's a soapiness to the aroma that reminds me of perfume. Not sure I like this very much.

The taste is good, but not as complex as I'd hoped, and more like a traditional hefe-weizen than I'd expected.

The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety - quite pleasant, actually.

All in all, drinkable and enjoyable.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan