Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Weihenstephaner Vitus Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,059 | Hads: 3,007
4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into my Duvel tulip because I don't have a proper weizen glass.

A: Much lighter in color than the Aventinus wheat dopplebock if memory serves me correct. This weizenbock pours a rich, hazy, amber body with lighter, golden edges; two-finger thick, creamy white head that is probably intensified by the shape of the tulip and sticks around for quite a while. Beer looks like a classic Weihenstephaner.

S: Prominent notes are ripe bananas, cloves, and a grainy, musty wheat bread aroma. Overall profile very reminiscent of banana bread - fairly sweet but balanced by the malt backbone.

T: Much like the nose - very prominent, sweet, ripe banana flavors dominate the start, followed by a twang of spiciness from the cloves. There are also faint fruit hints of rind-like citrus and apple. Mid sip, the malts come into play, with a lot of doughy, yeasty bready goodness balancing out the fruity introduction. Finish is crisp and savory, with a grainy malt note lingering on the palate while a slightly peppery flavor peaks overtop of any residual banana sweetness to round out the swallow.

M: Medium bodied with very good carbonation that is crisp on the tongue and leaves a slightly powdery sensation on the palate after swallowing.

D: 7.7% ABV means this beer packs a punch, but it is seemingly tamed at the first sip. However, a hint of peppery alcohol peaks in the finish as the glass warms; by the last few sips of the glass, the alcohol has really made its presence known.

Weihenstephaner does it again with their Weizenbock. I've been impressed with every Weihenstephaner beer I've had the pleasure of trying (Hefe, Dunkel, Korbinian and now the Vitus) and I'm beginning to think that this brewery cannot put a foot wrong. Superb flavor, and quite drinkable, I would definitely recommend you get your hands on a bottle of Vitus. (1,864 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a nice looking beer this is, pours a cloudy orange yellow apricot hue into a duvel tulip. Massive fine pillowy head  with resilient retention.

Smell is nutty yeasty and wheaty. banana and peanut butter are also here, as is a notable clove presence.

Banana, phenols, light spicy hops, clove with a peanut buttery finish.

Mouthfeel has a lot of carbonation throughout. Slightly silky as well.

Drinkability what do you mean this is 7.7% no alcohol is present whatsoever it's a bit too carbonated for me but I could easily down many of these. Well worth the 3$ price tag, hell I'd pay 7$ for one and it'd still be worth it (632 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

***First try*** Time for a German beer! Hefeweizens is not my favorite style, but I do like beers the are a mixed style with hefeweizen. This is my third Weihenstephaner beer to try.

I poured this into one of my tall hefeweizen glasses and watched as the head formed and grew quickly to 3-4 fingers in height that was frothy and white, like it should be. It is a beautiful cloudy yellow color, like pineapple juice, and it is very bubbly.

It smells...I'm actually having a hard time figuring out how it smells because I'm cooking some chicken and garlic...DOH! It's very sweet and there is a lot of citrus, as is to be suspected. I get banana and clove as well, adding more complexity and spice. I get an essence of lemon as well on the end.

Taste is pretty much identical. It's smooth, but is bubbly and has a little bite to it. There is a lot of banana flavor in it with lemon coming at the end to give it some added bite and tang. The wheat is sort of underlying throughout.

I'd say this is a pretty good beer here. It's more appetizing than a regular hefeweizen to me, but I have to say that I expected it to be a bit different. I'm not sure what I expected it to be, but whatever.

***Second try*** With all of y'all - yes, us Texans will say that - discussing so much non-American beers I felt guilty about not buying a non-American beer in quite awhile! So I went to my local place and decided to buy a foreign beer in a style I've not drank in awhile. I chose Vitus because I didn't remember drinking it. When I got back to my place I checked on Facebook to see if I had tried it...and I had. Damn! But there's nothing wrong with that. You know, if you're hungry, and I am, drinking a wheat beer is a good choice. Want some bread? Drink a wheat beer!

It may take a little work but it's a must that the drinker gets the sediment from the bottom of the bottle into your glass. It's not in there for no reason! If you don't like it then...don't drink it. The head, like every wheat beer, pours very tall, extremely bubbly, and white. Color of the beer is a hazy, if you put in little sediment, to murky, if you put in it all, golden-yellow. Describing wheat beer colors is a little more difficult than describing other styles' colors but wheat beers have a sort of pastel color to them.

It smells very bready with lemony-citrus and banana notes.

Taste brings an unexpected alcohol flavor...but not a bad one. It's hidden under the dominant wheat and the citrus and banana notes keep up the flavor.

This was a good choice for a drink today where it was pretty warm in Texas. Like I've said, wheat beers aren't a favorite of mine so I won't appreciate this as much as someone else who does like weizenbiers (terrible German-English), but I can tell a quality beer and this one is it. (2,797 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

serving out of a bottle

A - very large, white head. doesn't adhear to the glass. cloudy, blonde color

S - vanilla, banana and cloves. very nice smell

T - cloves, banana and vanilla. very smooth with some carbonation

M - smooth, malty feel

D - very drinkable.

Overall excellent beer. (289 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Gorgeous. Hazy pale orange with a big, fluffy cream head.

The aroma is classic weizen - bubblegum and bananas with a hint of alcohol. Lots of aroma compared to many weizens, bock or otherwise, I've had lately.

The flavor follows the aroma almost perfectly - just lacking a little of the intensity that I expected. What's there, though, is still pretty damned flavorful and has a good dose of cloves added to the mix! A little bitterness that doesn't linger too long. There's also a little mineral character that I'm not quite placing but it works fine with the rest of the flavors.

Feels very nice. Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. A little more creaminess wouldn't have gone amiss.

Before today I'd thought that Aventinus was the pinnacle of weizenbocks. I was wrong. (795 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Hazy yellow color on the edges deepens to a light gold in the middle. A white, pillowy head.

S - Fruity esters with a hint of clove.

T - Strong malty flavor hits the palate then subsides leaving a sweet aftertaste in the mouth.

M - High carbonation results in a small residual explosion in the mouth giving it a creamy mouthfeel.

O - Very nice and refreshing; more full bodied than other wheat beers I've had. A pleasant surprise. (439 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: 500 mL Bottle

A- Hazy Pale Yellow topped by a lumpy, 2 1/2 finger white head. Excellent retention.

S- Banana, Clove, grainy bread, and sweet maltiness.

T- The taste is the aroma on steroids. Intense banana flavour backed by an excellent wheat malt backbone. The cloves come in on the finish to nicely accentuate this brews beautiful taste.

M- Medium-Light Body, Medium-Light Carbonation.

O- If my memory serves me correctly, Weihenstephaner Vitus is my first Weizenbock. I've always been a fan of Bocks but this Weizenbock has really opened my eyes to what diversity the style has to offer. This brew has the drinkability and taste of a fine Hefeweizen with the extra kick that the "bock" portion delivers. A fine beer no matter how you look at it. (770 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into my .5L Erdinger Weizen glass. It pours a cloudy straw yellow with a large three finger, fluffy white head that dissipates after a few minutes to a thinner version of itself. When held up to the light there is a vortex of yeast swirling towards the bottom. This actually looks really cool. Smell is strong wheat with a kick of clove spice and a hint of hops. There is banana, white grape and green apple also present. The taste is a little tart with a kick of clove. All the fruits are present in the taste as well. Everything blends together nicely and all the flavors help show off the others. The mouthfeel is velvety and smooth. This feels great on the tongue and all the way down my throat. The carbonation is lively enough that it feels alive while I drink it. The Weizenbock and Hefeweizen are becoming some of my favorite styles and this one seems to be at the top of the list for this category. I could drink this all night and then have some more the next morning. Mmmm...Vitus for breakfast!!!

Big thanks to ColoradoBobs for hyping this every night on LNBA and to Vintage Estate for carrying it. I will definitely be picking up more of this the next time I am out there. (1,193 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

15 ounce bottle, served cold in St Bernardus glass challis

A) Hazy bright bronze comes alive quickly with billowy white head. Plenty of carbonation, head settles to white lacy stratus

S) Deliciously sweet. Banana, raisons & clove dominate with mild alcohol despite strong content

T) Classic Heffe only better. Complex & yeastie with sweet caramel, banana, figs & pear.

M) Thick and rich. Lots of fine carbonation that lasts and lasts. Sticky sweet.

O) An excellent example of this classic German style (508 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a bottle into my Weihenstephaner weizen glass. This one pours a hazy yellow with tangerine highlights. A large head, still much more subdued than that of the regular hefe, grows from the pour and quickly fades away leaving no lacing to be found.

The smell is nearly identical to the Weihenstephaner hefe I just had before this - banana, clove, orange peel. This one seems to have a breadier nose however. Still fantastic.

Taste is in your face banana and I am in love with it. This just seems like an amped up version of the hefeweizen. Clove, much more banana, more spice and more alcohol make up its profile. I am not picking up on any dark fruits as I was expecting but a great beer nonetheless.

Medium bodied, prickly carbonation and nearly undetectable alcohol come together for a dangerously drinkable beer. This is such an amazing beer, especially for the price point. If only the weather was a bit* warmer out I think I'd be enjoying this even more. (974 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a cloudy golden color. One finger thick head, most of which stays around throughout the beer.

Smell is bananas, clove, banana bread. Absolutely no hop presence.

Taste is exceptional. Spicy. Again, banana bread but without any sweetness. Slight alcohol presence but warming.

Mouthfeel is good. A little thinner than most weizenbocks I have had but well balanced.

Very drinkable for a weizenbock. The alcohol is present but not overbearing. The sweetness doesn't get to you either. Well done. (500 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

The pour yields a very nice pale lemon yellow with a big two finger head. Head retention was decent with minimal lacing.

Aromas are reminiscent of its Hefeweizen counterpart. Lots of yeast, spices and wheat in the nose with a nice banana punch.

Without a doubt, this is a big beer. Abundance of bubblegum, and banana are present with spices and clove at the onset with a nice semi-tart finish. For a big beer such as this, it hides its alcohol really well. Almost too well.

Mouthfeel was full with ample carbonation to top it all off.

I gotta say that this was a spectacular beer, and went down really well for having a 7.70 abv. and has high drinkability potential. (673 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

500ml bottle poured into a tall weihenstephan wheat beer glass.

A- Pours a cloudy gold, with about 2 fingers of fluffy head that subsides very slowly leaving nice lacing. looks very good.

S- wow. a whole bunch of fruit and spice. straight up theres the typical weizen banana, apricot and touch of citrus. followed by a whole bunch of spice, a touch of cinnamon but mainly clove. very nice and very aromatic.

T- similar flavours to the nose. fruit, predominantly banana, a touch of yeastiness than a whole bunch of spice, again reminding my mainly of clove. the 7.7 per cent alcohol blends in perfectly. again very nice.

M- very nice and quite spritzy. light to mid bodied. remains a highly drinkable beer for the ABV. excellent on a warmer day. leaves the mouth dry, and that lasts for a while. very good again.

O- very very very nice beer. could while away a very happy summer afternoon sipping on these. terrific aroma, with a taste to match. looks and feels good. just an allround good beer. (1,003 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a slightly hazy pale yellow-gold with a big, smooth head of white foam on top. Upon second pour, I get a much hazier gold color with little pieces of sediment. Some decent bubble action in the body. Looks like a Belgian Ale. Look crisp and refreshing. I'm always suspicious of beers that change color throughout the beer-drinking experience -- I prefer beers to show there cards up front. But, this is a unique experience.

S: Sweet. Floral. Fruity. Bananas. Melon. Yeast. Breads. Lots of aroma. Lots of complexity. Maintains a great balance of smells.

T: Sweetness all around. Breads. Yeast. Malts. Lots of fruitiness hitting the mouth in a very professional manner. Great taste. Crisp. Very nice.

M: For me, the beer trips up a bit here. It feels very rough. Astringent even. A medium body with nice carbonation, but man does this beer cut like a knife.

O: A nice brew that maintains a good flavor without falling victim to its abv. And, while I really like the complexity in the aroma and flavor -- man, the feel is very rough. Almost tough to drink. This is good -- but it's far from a go-to for me. (1,116 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

What an amazing beer. One time I drink it and it is like orange juice for breakfast, but beer for an afternoon. Another time I drink it and I am seduced by the exotic clovey spiciness. A beer that obviously knows how to keep her suitors excited.

transparent she is not, but at first sip, all of her mysteries are revealed: the strong wheat malt, the veluptuous mouthfeel, and the sexy spices. She is also quite the dominatrix (7.7% alc.). You'll lose control in no time (and be okay with it). (493 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A beautiful slightly cloudy straw color with a ton of fluffy white head. Lacing like mad.

Some banana, orange, and spice in the nose. A bit of booze also.

Yummy! Starts out with sweet citrus and spice, almost peppery. That gives way to a ton of banana. Alcohol is present but not aggressive -- less present on the palate than in the nose, to me.

Body is fairly light and plenty carbonated. Dry finish. Very nice.

If I could find this locally I'd likely drink a fair bit of it. Might be a little too sweet to do in a row. (524 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a gorgeous hazy gold, topped with a creamy white cloud of a head.

This brew is an aromatic three ring circus orgy with all the banana, cloves, honey, cinnamon toast, yeasty wheat bread mixed about with your grandparents hard candy dish.

This reminds me of a pale ale with all the fruitiness, along with all the spicy intricacy of a really expensive Belgian. Everything the nose picked up is here, along with an earthy tobacco barn kind of rawness. We also have a subtle but right on the mark hop sizzle at the very end.

The mouthfeel couldn't be better. Medium to light bodied and refreshing. It glides down the throat like a melted banana split smothered in whip cream.

Overall, Das Bier ist gut. (708 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Jeez, I'm lucky to have had the Ayinger weizenbock a few days ago. This one may just have the edge. Bright, cloudy golden pour is beautiful. Thin white head with some grip. Esters and ripe fruit aromas on the nose are pleasing, but the flavor is outstanding. More banana and a solid wheat malt backbone make this one smooth-sipping beverage. Way too easy to drink. (364 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Beatiful lemony orange hue with thick white head.

S: Banana and clove with a splash of citrus and bubble gum with some candy sweetness.

T/M: Mouth is heavier than I thought it would be and not as much carbonation as expected. Creamier mouthfeel. Flavors are along with the nose of banana and clove with a nice candied sweetness throughout. This fades to a crsip bite. Highly drinable and and clean (402 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

A- cloudy straw body with hints of brown the beer sports a soapy heaad that stays an inch thick very well

S- fairly strong banana right up front some hints of spice and fruit

T- some mild banana up front followed by the typical some mild spice and hints of chocolate in the back

M - nice mellow body no complaints

O - not the best in this style but a good drink (369 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours lighter than I expected. I realise it's a weizenbock, but with visions of Aventinus dancing in my head, I was struck by how pale this is. Golden, properly wheat-esque; I shouldn't be surprised at all.

Your regular wheat beer banana and clove smells, with a pleasant yoghurt note and apricots, maybe even peaches with the skin still on. Very sweet.

More banana in the taste - liquid banana bread. Cloves, underlying rummy alchohol thing which complements everything really well - slight boozy burn which you can occasionally feel in your sinuses, even though it's not quite 8%. Peppery spice and noticeable but not overt hop bitterness in the finish. Probably not quite enough to cut through the sweetness, but whatever. Real tasty.

Realatively creamy mouthfeel, some champagne characteristics from a combination of the carbonation and the vague dry white wine notes in the finish.

Too sweet to drink too much of, and too heavy to drink after mowing the lawn (or is it..?) - this beer, I think, is a fine example of just plain great craftsmanship, and what you choose to or choose not to match it with is up to you. I still have half a bottle, and I'm definitely going to enjoy it, as is. (1,201 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 15C adapted to light color bock). Bottle 50 cl - Batch unknown. AROMA: sweet wheat aromas mixed with vanilla and some faint banana. no hop aromas. some alcohol. APPEARANCE: gold color and hazy. large moussy white head with good retention. TASTE: sweet vanilla flavour, mixed with a strong wheat presence. very low bitterness with a relative dry finish. PALATE: medium body with moderate carbonation. OVERALL: a very interesting variation of the traditional weizen bock style, which uses a dunkelweizen. (549 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

I am a die-hard Aventinus devotee, and nothing - and I mean nothing - can sway me from my devotion to that beer.

As if this near fanatical devotion wasn't weird enough, I am a big ol' hophead to boot. In fact, I've publicly declared my favorite style to be American Double IPA.

Go figure.

Still, when my new favorite beer buyer said "If you like Aventinus, then you MUST try this Weihenstephaner Vitus," I was like, "OK. Bring it."

He brought it. And I bought it. And you know what?

I'm only mildly impressed.

First, the color, as other BAs have noted, is light like a traditional hefe. Nice cloudiness, golden in hue, if not downright strange looking in my Aventinus glass.

As for smell...there's banana, clove, maybe a hint of dates and raisins, but not enough. And - here's where my enthusiasm wanes - no cloves. Also, there's a soapiness to the aroma that reminds me of perfume. Not sure I like this very much.

The taste is good, but not as complex as I'd hoped, and more like a traditional hefe-weizen than I'd expected.

The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety - quite pleasant, actually.

All in all, drinkable and enjoyable. (1,136 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

16.9 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip, pours a gorgeous golden apricot color with a luscious looking 1 1/2" white bubbly head that eases down to a nice cap that lingers to the finish, spotty sticky lacing.

Aroma is Belgian yeast, wheat, bubblegum, some citrus, spices and banana.

Taste is sweet bread, bubblegum, wheat grain, clove, coriander, pepper with hints of tart citrus, apricot, banana and malt all in the right proportions.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, good amount of carbonation, slightly sugary and chewy.

Overall I want to give it a 4.25 but that is not an option so I am in the 4.5 range as this is so easy drinking, flavors are very pronounced, great balance…a must have! Cheers ~ (695 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Aroma is predominantly clove-like with soft banana and a touch of bubblegum and yeasty sourness. Pours a frothy, two-finger head with good retention; body is a cloudy amber. Like the aroma, the clove-like quality takes center stage; there is a slight yeasty twang; sweetness is present but nondescript; alcohol only becomes noticeable in the finish, and even then it is remarkably well integrated. The body is medium-full with substantial carbonation which also provides a nice, crisp bite; alcohol provides a bit of dryness in the finish.

Overall, the impression is one of a mere—albeit delicious—hefeweizen with a greater alcohol content. It really doesn't seem bock-like at all, which is the only aspect that I can find fault with. (741 characters)

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan